Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when ETH tried to convince us all that he now has little influence on our transfer targets :lol:

Oh look, another player we’re trying to sign who played for ETH. Must be another coincidence.

If he can stay fit and operate left back as well as right back, it's a great deal

Sort of. It'd be replacing one average player who hasn't got much time left on his contract for another average player who would then be on a much longer contract, with bigger injury worries.

Other than signing another Ajax alumni, what's the point?

Largely agree, but tbf Mazraoui is also a more comfortable fit stylistically than AWB. Better technically, comfortable overlapping and inverting, more comfortable playing LB when needed.

But yeah, probably not a transfer I'd make but also not one I'd be that bothered by if it goes badly.

Why would it prevent us signing a LB?

It's presumably only going to happen if AWB is sold. The fee we're reportedly looking at getting for AWB (15m) is almost exactly the same as the fee West Ham reportedly agreed for Mazraoui (15m + 4m add ons). And insofar as FSR matters, completing both deals could only improve our position this summer. So I don't see how it impacts a signing at LB?

If it's going to prevent us from doing anything it's signing a better replacement for AWB at RB, either now or next summer, an argument I have more sympathy for.

Because we're not going to be able to sell AWB easily, and for nowhere near £15m. Bayern will also extract more out of us for Mazraoui.

And we have form for going into seasons chronically and obviously depleted in positions. So if we do sign Mazraoui, ETH will think "4 fullbacks, fine" paying no attention to their injury records. We'll end up with Dalot and Mazraoui both playing until Mazraoui's injury problems flare up, then back to good old Lindelof/Amrabat at left back.

I don’t.
Can you share your thoughts on his game? How would he rank vs Wan Bissaka for example? Worst case is squad depth really. I guess compared to Dalot would be good too

Because we're not going to be able to sell AWB easily, and for nowhere near £15m. Bayern will also extract more out of us for Mazraoui.

And we have form for going into seasons chronically and obviously depleted in positions. So if we do sign Mazraoui, ETH will think "4 fullbacks, fine" paying no attention to their injury records. We'll end up with Dalot and Mazraoui both playing until Mazraoui's injury problems flare up, then back to good old Lindelof/Amrabat at left back.
If you've already agreed a price, you can't demand a new one. Bayern need to get rid of players, they are in quite a weak position.

His injury record is so dodgy, it's to the extent where selling AWB feels risky, which....kind of defeats the whole point? I suppose best to get some money for him while I can. But I can't get excited about this.

If you've already agreed a price, you can't demand a new one. Bayern need to get rid of players, they are in quite a weak position.

Of course they can. They're dealing with a bid from a richer club. They'd be silly not to.

Surely there's some random RB we can take a punt on for 5-10m. Brighton got Barco for 10m for example. But more importantly, we have zero depth at LB so why are we looking for a RB where we have a servicable option in AWB?

Surely there's some random RB we can take a punt on for 5-10m. Brighton got Barco for 10m for example. But more importantly, we have zero depth at LB so why are we looking for a RB where we have a servicable option in AWB?
Kyle walker Peters?

His injury record is so dodgy, it's to the extent where selling AWB feels risky, which....kind of defeats the whole point? I suppose best to get some money for him while I can. But I can't get excited about this.
Aye, feels like it just puts us in a position where if Dalot gets injured, we're as far up the creek as we were this last season.

I'm all for upgrading RB, and getting someone who can cover both sides is sensible, but we can't keep players fit who had no issues at all before coming here. The feck are we going to do with a bloke who's already Darren Anderton?

I don't think we should be going anywhere near him considering the amount of matches he's missed through injury. Feels like we're asking for trouble.

Can you share your thoughts on his game? How would he rank vs Wan Bissaka for example? Worst case is squad depth really. I guess compared to Dalot would be good too
He’s quite gifted technically and can be very easy on the eye. He has very solid short passing.
Other than that, he’s prone to horrible positioning defensively and doesn’t put much work in there.
If you combine this with his injury record, the games missed due to the Africa cup and his overall difficult personality, he’s a liability for a topclub. He’s below the level of players you should be chasing.
However, he might be a better fit for you than AWB simply due to his profile.

Because Mazraoui can play on either side (he plays LB for Morocco because of Hakimi), so if we bought him it would be as cover for both sides I'd imagine. As for AWB being serviceable, if playing him makes us change our style of play, and have a reduced attacking output on the right, wouldn't it be better to pay a few million more to get someone that could be more of a like for like replacement for Dalot/Shaw? AWB will be leaving next season anyway, so makes more sense to sell him now and use those funds as part payment on his replacmeent, rather than wait a year, he leaves for nothing, we still need to buy a replacement. Saying all that I'd prefer Ferdi, but Mazraoui may be a cheaper alternative, and as we still need a CM and possibly a CB, maybe this move makes more sense financially.

I think Bayern Munich must put a clause in all their players' contracts to say if they ever get too injured to continue their careers, they'll sell them to Manchester United to live out the remainder of their careers in the treatment room on good money. Seems to be working well.

It’s not low stakes when it will inevitably mean us not signing a good left back.

Signing Telles or Malacia were also “low stakes” but ultimately those signing prevented us signing better players and just drain money from the club
There's a weird tendency on the Caf to believe that any transfer that costs less than 20m is a risk-free, no-regrets move, as if it would have zero impact on our budget and squad capacity.

Kinda goes along with this weird idea that any player who's cheap enough is a "solid squad option", regardless of actual underlying footballing quality.

Of course they can. They're dealing with a bid from a richer club. They'd be silly not to.

Like when Feyenoord asked for a higher fee from us for Malacia than they did from Lyon? Oh wait...
So if we do sign Mazraoui, ETH will think "4 fullbacks, fine" paying no attention to their injury records.

And you know this how?

You are way too negative, man.

Sort of. It'd be replacing one average player who hasn't got much time left on his contract for another average player who would then be on a much longer contract, with bigger injury worries.

Other than signing another Ajax alumni, what's the point?
To keep the bestest coach in the world happy

I think Bayern Munich must put a clause in all their players' contracts to say if they ever get too injured to continue their careers, they'll sell them to Manchester United to live out the remainder of their careers in the treatment room on good money. Seems to be working well.
Bayern dross and Man Utd UTD, name the better duo.

Remember when ETH tried to convince us all that he now has little influence on our transfer targets :lol:

Oh look, another player we’re trying to sign who played for ETH. Must be another coincidence.
"Pure coincidence" according to some :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.