Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a weird tendency on the Caf to believe that any transfer that costs less than 20m is a risk-free, no-regrets move, as if it would have zero impact on our budget and squad capacity.

Kinda goes along with this weird idea that any player who's cheap enough is a "solid squad option", regardless of actual underlying footballing quality.

The point isn't that signing Mazraoui is low risk because of a low fee, though risk and outlay are obviously directly connected.

The point is that the decision to sell AWB and replace him with anyone this summer comes with reduced financial risk, because we already know he will leave for free next summer. By making the decision to replace him now rather than in 12 months you gain a transfer fee to offset the outlay on a replacement.

And in Mazraoui's case the fact that he would cost roughly the same amount means there is less opportunity cost this summer. As opposed to signing a 40m replacement say, where you still get the financial benefit of selling AWB but you also have to commit greater resources beyond that which might have better used on other positions.

Because Mazraoui can play on either side (he plays LB for Morocco because of Hakimi), so if we bought him it would be as cover for both sides I'd imagine. As for AWB being serviceable, if playing him makes us change our style of play, and have a reduced attacking output on the right, wouldn't it be better to pay a few million more to get someone that could be more of a like for like replacement for Dalot/Shaw? AWB will be leaving next season anyway, so makes more sense to sell him now and use those funds as part payment on his replacmeent, rather than wait a year, he leaves for nothing, we still need to buy a replacement. Saying all that I'd prefer Ferdi, but Mazraoui may be a cheaper alternative, and as we still need a CM and possibly a CB, maybe this move makes more sense financially.

I guess I'll flip your own argument at you. We want the LB to be more of an LB / LCB hybrid so if we're sticking Mazraoui in there then aren't we already changing style? Maybe Dalot will play LB and we know he can play that 3rd CB type role and Mazraoui remains on the right.

Yeah if he's going for nothing next year then it's a no-brainer to sell. I assume we'll be able to keep him if we offer him the renewal. Probably not the right option long term but his skill to shut down wingers might come in handy. Still young enough and will have a decent resale value in a year or two.

The problem is we still need 4 players (rotation with Mainoo, Casemiro, Shaw and Dalot). What's the cheapest way we can get that done this summer so we don't go in to games with square pegs round holes type situations again? I think the current gameplan is:

Sell McT --> Get Fofana
Sign Ugarte and if PSG don't play ball, Amrabat on the cheap in a pinch
Sell AwB --> Put funds towards an attacking RB
Sell Lindelof --> Put funds towards De Ligt

I'd be in awe if they actually pull it off though.

Do the Bayern fans on here rate him?
I quite like him.
He is very calm and composed on the ball, good in defense and okay to good in offense.

Because of injuries, the Africa Cup (and Ramadan) he wasnt avalaible and in form as often as i like.

If Stanisic wouldnt have come back from loan and if we wouldnt have overpaid for Boey last winter due to injuries, i dont think we would be looking to sell him.

I said it before in this thread i think Dalot is quite comparable to him in the way they play.

I quite like him.
He is very calm and composed on the ball, good in defense and okay to good in offense.

Because of injuries, the Africa Cup (and Ramadan) he wasnt avalaible and in form as often as i like.

If Stanisic wouldnt have come back from loan and if we wouldnt have overpaid for Boey last winter due to injuries, i dont think we would be looking to sell him.

I said it before in this thread i think Dalot is quite comparable to him in the way they play.
Thanks.

He looks a decent footballer from what I have seen. Though I don't like the idea of signing an injury prone player.

How about we let the medical team worry about his suseptability to injuries in the future if this gets that far? That is one of the main points of a medical....

I quite like him.

You've no doubt watched him more than I have but I'd say he's smarter than Dalot and I'd go on to say that he'll be better at linking up with our wingers. Dalot seems more direct to me.
Is that fair?

Wouldn't be my first choices which are Vanderson or Frimpong, however prefer him to Dumfries. My biggest concern are the injuries he has picked up in recent years.

Remember when ETH tried to convince us all that he now has little influence on our transfer targets :lol:

Oh look, another player we’re trying to sign who played for ETH. Must be another coincidence.

Yeah that's looking like BS unfortunately

It seems like total insanity - i hope someone in our structure exercises their veto. Not sure why they have not already.

It seems like total insanity - i hope someone in our structure exercises their veto. Not sure why they have not already.

Well so far we have signed Zirkzee and Yoro, neither of whom have worked with ETH so I am not sure why you are getting bent out of shape over this. So far as Mazraoui is concerned, most of the links to United seem to be coming from his camp rather than us.

Remember when ETH tried to convince us all that he now has little influence on our transfer targets :lol:

Oh look, another player we’re trying to sign who played for ETH. Must be another coincidence.
Zirkzee and Yoro, bid for Ugarte, bid for Braithewaite. But no let's spin a narrative.

Well so far we have signed Zirkzee and Yoro, neither of whom have worked with ETH so I am not sure why you are getting bent out of shape over this. So far as Mazraoui is concerned, most of the links to United seem to be coming from his camp rather than us.
I have no issue with ETH signing players he's worked with before.

I am saying that specifically in relation to Mazraoui, I think he's be an insane purchase given injury history.

Wouldn't be my first choices which are Vanderson or Frimpong, however prefer him to Dumfries. My biggest concern are the injuries he has picked up in recent years.
Even if he’s supposedly good enough which seemingly nobody here appears to think, why would a team that has just come off an obscenely injury ravaged season with a player with a poor injury record? Seems like a cheap? Yes Ten Hag known quantity? Yes deal.

I have no issue with ETH signing players he's worked with before.

I am saying that specifically in relation to Mazraoui, I think he's be an insane purchase given injury history.

Apologies, I meant to reply to the post above yours which said this in relation to a post about signing another player with ETH links.

Yeah that's looking like BS unfortunately

Even if he’s supposedly good enough which seemingly nobody here appears to think, why would a team that has just come off an obscenely injury ravaged season with a player with a poor injury record? Seems like a cheap? Yes Ten Hag known quantity? Yes deal.

Really wish I knew

People seem to forget Utds name is used a lot in the transfer market even when we have no interest in the player.

For that price I'd get him and keep AWB if no one comes in for him. I feel like with some of these players that don't want to leave like Maguire etc we have to make an example of one. Could do it with AWB by giving him next to no game time if he stays.

He's a good player - better than AWB - albeit with a concerning injury record (although it is maybe worth noting that while Mazraoui missed 19 games through injury last season, AWB missed.... 21).

He's a good player - better than AWB - albeit with a concerning injury record (although it is maybe worth noting that while Mazraoui missed 19 games through injury last season, AWB missed.... 21).

Hmmm not much in that then

Zirkzee and Yoro, bid for Ugarte, bid for Braithewaite. But no let's spin a narrative.

Zirkzee (Dutch)
De Light (Dutch & managed)
Mazraoui (manged)

Theres no narrative to spin. It’s been a clear pattern ever since ETH arrived. It obviously doesn’t mean all the players he signs fit that narrative, but there is a very clear pattern of who he favours.

Zirkzee (Dutch)
Mazraoui (manged)

Theres no narrative to spin. It’s been a clear pattern ever since ETH arrived. It obviously doesn’t mean all the players he signs fit that narrative, but there is a very clear pattern of who he favours.

Yeah he still very much favours going Dutch or players he has worked with, like you say there are exceptions but not enough to feel relaxed about recruitment

Zirkzee (Dutch)
Mazraoui (manged)

Yeah he still very much favours going Dutch or players he has worked with, like you say there are exceptions but not enough to feel relaxed about recruitment
Doubt zirkzee was his target. He also said that De Ligt is a club pursuit.

Does it progress us that much then? Is he highly suited to possession football? Or does he have great mobility / physical presence?

Ah yes, thanks

Wasn't Hakimi the genius who, when his wife tried to divorce him and take half his money, she didn't get a penny because all of his income from football went to his mum's account? :lol:

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Asked my trusty Bayern supporting friend about him earlier, the 3rd Bayern adjacent player this window that I've asked him about now :lol:, and he was quite bullish about him

yeah maz is legit. top 5 rb in the world when healthy and amazing at lb too. issue is he can never stay healthy. i legit don't think he's ever started more than 5 games in a row for us due to an injury every time he got going

Rates him highly but his fitness issues really hamper him.

That wouldn't affect us as much with Dalot being the unquestioned no.1 but I'd be all for adding that sort of quality into the squad at that position and for a fair fee.

Wasn't Hakimi the genius who, when his wife tried to divorce him and take half his money, she didn't get a penny because all of his income from football went to his mum's account? :lol:

fake news created and pushed by incel adjacent twitter accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.