Noussair Mazraoui | has signed for United

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that yet another transfer target is a former Ajax / Eredivisie player

€15-20m?

Even with his injury concerns that's a risk very much worth taking. Quality player and only 26 years old. I've suggested going for him in the de Ligt thread as well maybe a month ago. I'd take Kim/Upamecano too. If we can get any of these guys on the cheap and "fix" them, then there's huge value to be found in any of these potential deals.

I don't like where this is going... But I guess it is just a rumour at this point. The guy is a pretty good player, we should have gone for him way earlier but at this point, I am not sure whether this would be the right thing to do. Bayern is offloading so many people they don't consider suitable for their future, why should they be good enough for us!?

I'm sure it's purely a coincidence that yet another transfer target is a former Ajax / Eredivisie player
This isn't boring at all. Can we at least wait until we bid for a player before whinging.

Do not sidetrack thread with discussion of Mazraoui‘s political stance. New
OK. Please do not sidetrack the transfer thread. If you want to have a deep discussion about Mazraoui‘s political stance, take it to the CE forum.

I don’t want to hand out threadbans so please heed.
Hi all, given this is now it's own thread, the same message that was issued in the United Tweet thread has to be issued here before it begins anew - no discussions about Mazraoui's political stance in this thread.

Hasn't impressed at Bayern really, West Ham is probably his level.

From what I've seen of them (which isn't that much), I'd prefer either of the other two over Mazraoui.

I like him but with Kimmich, Stanisic and Boey we really can afford to lose him.

But im surprised you want him.
Imo he is quite comparable to Dalot in the way they play and in their general level.

No brainer if he’s available and at that price.

I don't like where this is going... But I guess it is just a rumour at this point. The guy is a pretty good player, we should have gone for him way earlier but at this point, I am not sure whether this would be the right thing to do. Bayern is offloading so many people they don't consider suitable for their future, why should they be good enough for us!?
I don’t quite follow you - we should have gone for him earlier but not now? Isn’t it - earlier we needed a first choice option for RB, preferably with the experience others lacked, but he was a little too young and not quite good enough for the role and the price. Now he is a more experienced player, for a lower price, and we have a first choice already in place. Are his injury issues so damning that our (new) medical staff can’t be trusted to assess it?

For what it’s worth, I think ETH wanted him 2 years ago as well, if I’m not mistaken? It’s just that his mind was already made up by then?

10 million quids for AWB is a highway robbery. He may not fit the attacking style we want to play, but AWB is a damned good defender, ffs
Always sceptical of ETH's interest in former players and agree that AWB a great signing for smaller PL teams. The £10M figure is probably just a is a bait-and-switch. Maybe just the figure we want up-front with the rest in instalments.

I like him but with Kimmich, Stanisic and Boey we really can afford to lose him.

But im surprised you want him.
Imo he is quite comparable to Dalot in the way they play and in their general level.

Well if we could have 2 Dalot's that would be absolutely brilliant.

Well if we could have 2 Dalot's that would be absolutely brilliant.
Dalot plays on both sides, right?

Mazraoui can also play RB and LB. He mainly played RB for us but in the final third of last season he played LB and benched Davies.
For the morrocan NT he always plays LB because of Hakimi.

I would take Vanderson or Frimpong over Mazaroui.

Who's next, Lasse Schöne to replace Casemiro?

I don’t quite follow you - we should have gone for him earlier but not now? Isn’t it - earlier we needed a first choice option for RB, preferably with the experience others lacked, but he was a little too young and not quite good enough for the role and the price. Now he is a more experienced player, for a lower price, and we have a first choice already in place. Are his injury issues so damning that our (new) medical staff can’t be trusted to assess it?
Its more a case of setting priorities. I'd rather go for an LB instead of an RB, which is the only position in our squad where we have two decent to good options. Also from what I know, the player is more of an inverted FB instead of a more traditional one. Apart from the fact that I prefer traditional ones, we already have that in the squad given that basically none of our Fullbacks is known for their offensive output. If we go for a fullback, it should be one that helps us in this aspect.

And I don't think, that he wasn't brought in back in the day for being too young - he simply wasn't considered because our decision makers did bad jobs. At least thats what I remember of the situation. We rather brought in AWB (which was probably still the better idea given that we wouldn't have been able to make much use of a player who suited a more elaborate system than what we played back then (I'd consider this an issue these days as well unfortunately) ).

For the right price and hearing that he is able to play on the left as well, I'd be fine with it. But I'd prefer the other two names to be honest. We already have two fullbacks who have their strength coming in-field. No need to add another one.

Nuance is everything. Bayern are completely resetting under their new Director Eberl. Specifically, Kompany was his pick and he’s trying to bring in players who suit Kompany more while also reducing the massive wage bill they have there. Hence why De Ligt and Mazraoui are available. Add to this that both were unlucky with injuries last season and Bayern have reason to offload. Mazraoui is also a transition beast and not necessarily a possession hound - which is what Kompany needs. But we need the former.

We’re at a different stage. We want depth at RB and CB. From having AWB to Mazraoui would be a massive jump in ball playing skill. We need any someone who can give something close to the output of Dalot when he’s not there. By not only skill - which he has - but also the fact he can play at LB too!

Finally… he’s played with Ten Hag too at Ajax. He has natural chemistry with Antony on the right wing. His injury record last season was not good - but it’s an anomaly. With some time off he’d have recovered a lot. He’s a solid back up. One who knows Ten Hag’s ways too. That’s why this matters and is a good deal.

Much rather Vanderson than this guy. There's clubs other than Ajax.

10 million quids for AWB is a highway robbery. He may not fit the attacking style we want to play, but AWB is a damned good defender, ffs
AWB has a year left on his contract and can sign terms with another club on Jan 1st 2025. We aren't extending his contract. Good defender I agree but not so much going forwards.

If a £10mil fee allows us via PSR to then go for vanderson or mazraoui or frimpong then great.

Hi all, given this is now it's own thread, the same message that was issued in the United Tweet thread has to be issued here before it begins anew - no discussions about Mazraoui's political stance in this thread.
Surely it makes sense to discuss whatever it is in the thread about him potentially signing for us, it’s not a performance thread and it’s something the club might consider when signing him - not that I even know what his views are.

We’ve got Joey Barton and Souness’ dodgy views being discussed in the football forum.

I doubt there will be any petitions against letting him go.

Its more a case of setting priorities. I'd rather go for an LB instead of an RB, which is the only position in our squad where we have two decent to good options. Also from what I know, the player is more of an inverted FB instead of a more traditional one. Apart from the fact that I prefer traditional ones, we already have that in the squad given that basically none of our Fullbacks is known for their offensive output. If we go for a fullback, it should be one that helps us in this aspect.

And I don't think, that he wasn't brought in back in the day for being too young - he simply wasn't considered because our decision makers did bad jobs. At least thats what I remember of the situation. We rather brought in AWB (which was probably still the better idea given that we wouldn't have been able to make much use of a player who suited a more elaborate system than what we played back then (I'd consider this an issue these days as well unfortunately) ).

For the right price and hearing that he is able to play on the left as well, I'd be fine with it. But I'd prefer the other two names to be honest. We already have two fullbacks who have their strength coming in-field. No need to add another one.
Ten Hag prefers inverting the full backs, so it makes more sense to me to have four FBs who can play that game well, unlike AWB. I assume AWB is not up for another year as back up, in which case we need a RB as bad as a LB (we need bith, tbh). From what I remember at Ajax, Mazraoui was almost the most attacking FB in Europe there, even when playing CB he was down at the goal lone several times. If we can get him for close to what we’ll get for AWB it looks like a very sensible move to me.

I haven’t really seen Vanderson, so couldn’t comment, haven’t seen any credible links either? Frimpong is better in an attacking sense, and more expensive. He would make sense if RB was a prioritized spot for new first choice. If not, if we wan’t to prioritize CM and CB this window, Mazraoui makes perfect sense to me at least.

Much rather Vanderson than this guy. There's clubs other than Ajax.
I think most people would, simply because he's younger, Brazilian, and generally a more attacking profile. It's a much more exciting prospect for us as fans.

However, Mazraoui is a much more balanced fullback, has more big club experience, can play both sides, and would be cheaper.

If we're not looking to spend big money on a new RB who would aim to start most games then Mazraoui makes a lot of sense, in terms of building a squad that can better adapt to injuries in defence.

Ten Hag prefers inverting the full backs, so it makes more sense to me to have four FBs who can play that game well, unlike AWB. I assume AWB is not up for another year as back up, in which case we need a RB as bad as a LB (we need bith, tbh). From what I remember at Ajax, Mazraoui was almost the most attacking FB in Europe there, even when playing CB he was down at the goal lone several times. If we can get him for close to what we’ll get for AWB it looks like a very sensible move to me.

I haven’t really seen Vanderson, so couldn’t comment, haven’t seen any credible links either? Frimpong is better in an attacking sense, and more expensive. He would make sense if RB was a prioritized spot for new first choice. If not, if we wan’t to prioritize CM and CB this window, Mazraoui makes perfect sense to me at least.
Apparently AWB isn't willing to sign a new contract so would leave for free if we kept him this summer.

Vanderson is much closer to Frimpong as a player; basically a RW playing at RB. Not sure how well he'd do in a back 4 in the PL. He's young enough to improve on that though I guess.

Apparently AWB isn't willing to sign a new contract so would leave for free if we kept him this summer.

Vanderson is much closer to Frimpong as a player; basically a RW playing at RB. Not sure how well he'd do in a back 4 in the PL. He's young enough to improve on that though I guess.

I agree with your other post about priorities and sensibility.

Frimpong and Vanderson sounds more sexy, but maybe not for this window. Either way, the people freakimg out over a Mazraoui move will probably turn around if we got any of those players too, citing Frimpong as ‘yet another player from Ten Hag’s back yard who’s not good enough to start for The Netherlands’, and Vanderson as The New Anderson or even Kleberson.

Status
Not open for further replies.