Gaming Nintendo Switch

Thousand year door.

Absolutely sublime game and the last great Paper Mario game. They need to keep it exactly as it is though, no modern changes to the gameplay or dumbing.

Same. I installed Retroarch on my Xbox recently with the intention of playing through TTYD and Skies of Arcadia. It feels like a bit of a waste of £14 now :lol:

Same. I installed Retroarch on my Xbox recently with the intention of playing through TTYD and Skies of Arcadia. It feels like a bit of a waste of £14 now :lol:

:lol: bad timing!

I played it on the GC again a few years back. I'm hyped for it, such a great game. I liked the Wii one and sticker stars was a good twist, but they didn't feel like PM at heart and certainly not a patch on 64 and TTYD (and of course Mario RPG which gave them the idea).

We shall not speak of the latest game that shall not be named...

:lol: bad timing!

I played it on the GC again a few years back. I'm hyped for it, such a great game. I liked the Wii one and sticker stars was a good twist, but they didn't feel like PM at heart and certainly not a patch on 64 and TTYD (and of course Mario RPG which gave them the idea).

We shall not speak of the latest game that shall not be named...
You didn’t like Origami King? I haven’t finished it yet but liked it when I played it.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is my favourite game from the GameCube.

The game is a somewhat rare instance (off the top of my head) where the sequel has managed to outdo the first game in the series in every way. The original Paper Mario on the N64 is brilliant as well by the way, which is why TTYD is so impressive to me.

If you like turn-based RPGs then you should like this, particularly if you have an interest in Mario, games with charm, attention to detail, or turn-based actions that have more interaction than simply choosing moves.

As for the rest of the Direct, it was very middle of the road to me. I could purchase more games, but due to time I have started to be more strict with myself on what I buy over the years. Realistically, I'll only buy Mario RPG, Mario Wonder, and Paper Mario from what is on Nintendo's radar over the next year. But even then, I'll space those out due to it being a bit Mario overkill.

I don't mind this at the moment as we are so far into the Switch lifecycle - this Direct clearly shows that a new console is coming next year. I'm convinced Metroid Prime 4 will be a dual release for both consoles. I think we'll see a few more remasters/remakes dotted in throughout 2024, such as porting over Zelda Wind Waker & Twilight Princess. The games are good and will look great, much like Paper Mario, and it's just easy work for Nintendo to fill in gaps in the calendar as they transition.

Some good games lined up. Donkey kong Vs Mario was one of my favourite games back when I had a GBA SP. Looking forward :drool:.

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is my favourite game from the GameCube.

The game is a somewhat rare instance (off the top of my head) where the sequel has managed to outdo the first game in the series in every way. The original Paper Mario on the N64 is brilliant as well by the way, which is why TTYD is so impressive to me.

If you like turn-based RPGs then you should like this, particularly if you have an interest in Mario, games with charm, attention to detail, or turn-based actions that have more interaction than simply choosing moves.

As for the rest of the Direct, it was very middle of the road to me. I could purchase more games, but due to time I have started to be more strict with myself on what I buy over the years. Realistically, I'll only buy Mario RPG, Mario Wonder, and Paper Mario from what is on Nintendo's radar over the next year. But even then, I'll space those out due to it being a bit Mario overkill.

I don't mind this at the moment as we are so far into the Switch lifecycle - this Direct clearly shows that a new console is coming next year. I'm convinced Metroid Prime 4 will be a dual release for both consoles. I think we'll see a few more remasters/remakes dotted in throughout 2024, such as porting over Zelda Wind Waker & Twilight Princess. The games are good and will look great, much like Paper Mario, and it's just easy work for Nintendo to fill in gaps in the calendar as they transition.
I’m expecting them to also bring GC classics to the new Switch within subscription service similar to how they’ve done with N64 and previous consoles on the current Switch (which I’m absolutely loving too). The only caveat here is they will have re-released so many of GC games already (with Wind Waker another one almost certain to happen) that there won’t really be that much left to include in library.

Bought Pikmin 4 and preordered Mario Wonder for the €99 coupon. Probably won’t have the time to dedicate myself properly to Pikmin for a few weeks but I got several long haul travels in Q4 so it’ll come handy.

Will I actually be able to preload Mario Wonder and start playing on 20th Oct even without access to the internet on that particular day? I am leaving Poland on the 18th and coming back on 23rd only.

I’m expecting them to also bring GC classics to the new Switch within subscription service similar to how they’ve done with N64 and previous consoles on the current Switch (which I’m absolutely loving too). The only caveat here is they will have re-released so many of GC games already (with Wind Waker another one almost certain to happen) that there won’t really be that much left to include in library.

Bought Pikmin 4 and preordered Mario Wonder for the €99 coupon. Probably won’t have the time to dedicate myself properly to Pikmin for a few weeks but I got several long haul travels in Q4 so it’ll come handy.

Will I actually be able to preload Mario Wonder and start playing on 20th Oct even without access to the internet on that particular day? I am leaving Poland on the 18th and coming back on 23rd only.
I never got a chance to play Wind Waker or Twilight Princess. If they ever do a virtual console GameCube and add those to the catalogue I’ll be like a kid in a candy store :lol:

Are those things worth it? Seen them go for like 400 quid
Absolutely. The cheapest model is in stock now for 315 quid and that would easily emulate the likes of wind waker right out of the box. It can even emulate switch games although can be hit and miss with some i.e. the latest zelda.

You can also upgrade it yourself to make it even more powerful than their top range model for much cheaper, which is what I did.

In reply to the GameCube classics idea on the Nintendo Switch Online Service, I was always more on the side that it would happen. However, now I really think it won't, at least on this iteration of the Switch.

We've seen Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and now Paper Mario have HD remakes/remasters/ports. There's also been the same treatment given to Baten Kaitos, Tales of Symphonia, and some of the Resident Evil games that featured on that console. Wind Waker & Twilight Princess were on the Wii U obviously, but the point still stands and I'm sure they'd come to Switch next year as they want easy games to drop while studios are working on Switch 2 games.

So, my point is that Nintendo and other developers are clearly seeing it as more profitable an opportunity to re-release games from the GameCube onwards and charge 40-60 [insert your currency] for them instead of having them on a service that is somewhat cheap for what it is. I think Nintendo will eventually introduce additional tiers to the service from 2025~ which will allow you to more freely select what you are paying for. If GameCube games make it to the service in some form, my expectation is that Nintendo choosing games very carefully, where remakes do not make as much sense due to games potentially having superior versions that they want to sell and use for events etc. Eg. I think they could put Super Smash Bros. Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash on a GameCube app instead or remaking them, as I don't see much benefit to players having remade versions of them, when we get a new Smash Bros/Mario Kart game on pretty much every console anyway and there isn't much of a story to them. Something like F-Zero GX would fall into the grey area, as if there isn't a new game in the series coming any time soon, they might as well just remaster GX rather than adding to the service. I'm sure they'll be enough games where they can find the right balance, but you also need to good games to the service in order to get people to sign up. I don't see much point in having say, Metroid Prime on the service and a HD remake as you're just competing with yourself.

So, long story short. I think the Switch will top out with the current online offerings (just more games added, particularly GameBoy/Advance). Maybe go out with a bang by adding Pokemon games... Then the Switch 2 really needs to come out with all the current classic stuff already live. Probably streamline everything into one app, have different tiers you can migrate to so you can select which classic consoles you want to have access to and probably add GameCube to it. Kinda becoming another selling point in upgrading from Switch to Switch 2.

If anyone thinking of pre-order Mario Wonder, Currys doing a 25% off if you type WONDER25 at check out.

I've got Mario Wonder coming tomorrow. Had good reviews and a few have commented that it's like a 2023 version of Super Mario World, which is in my top 5 games ever.

I've got Mario Wonder coming tomorrow. Had good reviews and a few have commented that it's like a 2023 version of Super Mario World, which is in my top 5 games ever.
Received it today but won't play it until I finish Ocarina of Time. It looks class though.

Really tempted to pick up Mario Wonder, but I'm playing Paper Mario (N64) at the moment and really want to pick up Super Mario RPG next month and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door next year too. I'm wondering (pun intended) if I'll be a bit Mario'd out... Probably not, but I might play it over Christmas break instead. Someone else can buy it for me then too :lol:

I had Wonder delivered today. Don't have time to play it tonight, but I'll start tomorrow. What Nintendo have shown looks really good.

I can't play anything on my switch at the minute because the wife is constantly on Stardew.
When I do eventually get on it I'm buying that Sega collection for just over a fiver and burning through Streets of rage 1-3.

I can't play anything on my switch at the minute because the wife is constantly on Stardew.
When I do eventually get on it I'm buying that Sega collection for just over a fiver and burning through Streets of rage 1-3.
Solid plan. Love those games!

Played through the first world of Mario Wonder. It's good but not spectacular yet. As with most Mario games the first stages are extremely easy to get you up to speed. Hoping and expecting it to go from a 7/10 to a 9/10 by the end.

I'll probably get Wonder as well. My wife and I had a lot of fun playing New Mario Bros. U or whatever it was called together.

I love how much personality every character has in Wonder. It makes such a difference to the game. I've played through the first world and I'm enjoying the game quite a bit.

Stardew is great. The local co-op split screen is fun. You should join the fun too.

Played through the first world of Mario Wonder. It's good but not spectacular yet. As with most Mario games the first stages are extremely easy to get you up to speed. Hoping and expecting it to go from a 7/10 to a 9/10 by the end.

Really fun game. Similar experience to New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury.

The game sprites and text boxes are a bit too small in the overworld and I feel the character sprites' colours are too washed-out and blended too much into the background.

I sometimes feel that the game is a bit too chaotic and moving too fast especially after entering the wonder zone. Apart from that, great game.

Last edited:
Games gone up to a 8/10 after world 2. Difficulty has ramped up and one level involving wall jumps was ridiculously hard and took me 50 attempts.

Games gone up to a 8/10 after world 2. Difficulty has ramped up and one level involving wall jumps was ridiculously hard and took me 50 attempts.

That was a frustratingly hard, yet amazing level and that level was in world 2.

Loving the Wonder. It's a bit too easy, at least so far (I'm finishing world 2) but it compensates with creativity, brilliant design and pure fun. Nintendo are having a stormer this generation.

Loving the Wonder. It's a bit too easy, at least so far (I'm finishing world 2) but it compensates with creativity, brilliant design and pure fun. Nintendo are having a stormer this generation.

A bit easy and the levels a bit short, but a really fun and beautiful game. Personally I like 2D Mario games more than 3D Mario games. Mario Odyssey feels too challenging for my old hands and brain.

How many wonders have you collected so far?
How do I check that? I have collected all that were there aside from 1 up until late in world 2, that’s assuming there aren’t any surprise wonders that are not highlighted at each level.

I love Wonder. I think I'm on the last world now. Probably my favourite 2D Mario game.

I love Wonder. I think I'm on the last world now. Probably my favourite 2D Mario game.

I was just coming in here to say the same. Still early in the game for me but I can see an argument building for it being the best 2d Mario game ever. Has the gameplay of SMB mixed with the charm and pizazz of the newer 3d titles.