NHL 2024/2025

what is the difference between GOAT and greatest player we’ve seen?
I think it's down to what they won, what impact on the game, etc. Gretzky took hockey to the sunshine belt, won loads, would have won more except for Pocklington. He changed the game, the way it was played and inspired a generation of players from outside of the traditional hockey hotbeds. McDavid is changing the game right now, we'll see a generation of speedsters coming through with quick hands. He's not had a chance on the international stage as a senior, but that will come and to date he's not won the biggest prize of all.

However, in terms of playing wise, Prime Gretzky v Prime McDavid, I think it's obvious McDavid is quicker, quicker hands, can read the ice as well as Gretzky and finds impossible passes as well as Gretz could. The only thing that Gretz's has above McDavid is probably his shooting. I've seen both play in the flesh and in the prime and I know who I see as the better player. That's not trying to dump on Gretzky, I was in awe of what he did not only in Edmonton, but right up to the end of his career and didn't or couldn't believe I'd ever see anyone challenge his status, but here we are.

That wasn't the result I wanted, but after game 7/play-off hockey since the middle of November to get to the play-off's. Breaking team records, individual play-off records for team and league and coming back from 0-3 in the final, I'll say this as an Oilers fan. I'm PROUD of the effort and PROUD to be an Oiler. That's been difficult to say for a large chunk of time since we last played in the final.

The last 3 Stanley Cup winners have all had to beat the Oilers to win the thing, we are so close.

As for the Panthers, where did that game come from? They looked dead and buried at the end of game 6, fair play to them, enjoy it but be warned you came back looking for redemption this year, a team up north will be eager to return next year.

I still can't believe there was a giant dog with hearing protection in the front row of a Cup Finals game 7. That was amazing. Panthers fans — and one dog with a front-row seat — rejoice for team’s first Stanley Cup - Yahoo Sports
USATSI_23614955.jpg

That's Brodie the Goldendoodle, the guy has him on TikTok and Instagram.
He's been court side at some Lakers games as well I believe.

Kind of aggressive move from Yzerman to get rid of the Jake Walman contract. It will be interesting to see what happens with Ghost and Kane as I think they are the two big UFA's we have that we will look at keeping. Albert Johansson is certainly in the big squad next year after moving Walman as well, no chance Steve loses him on waivers.

I can see more moves like this as the week goes on, there is no reason to be holding on to the Fabbri deal at this point and the Justin Holl contract is one we can live without also. I expect SY to remain aggressive.

So it's looking likely that Drai had broken ribs and a broken finger from the Nuck's series, McDavid played with an abdominal injury that's going to require surgery from the end of the season. Add Kane's sporting hernia that needs a repair, one feels that this summer is one of rest for the Oilers. We've got limited cap space and a few UFA's and RFA's to figure out, I can see Campbell being bought out, but with Holland's contract ending and no new one offered, we've not got a GM effectively, rumour has it Holland isn't even going to be at the draft.

@JPRouve Demidov fell to the Habs. I’m so happy. The more researched the top 10ish players, the more film I watched, the more I was set on Demidov.

@JPRouve Demidov fell to the Habs. I’m so happy. The more researched the top 10ish players, the more film I watched, the more I was set on Demidov.

And his official measurements are 6'1" and 192lbs. I'm quite happy with the picks though for a few weeks I was thinking about the idea of trading some of the defencemen and picks for Laine which would open the door for drafting one of the top defencemen in this draft. The reasoning is that currently the Habs have too many players that are supposed to be in the team at the same time and they are almost all good which means that the Habs won't be able to extend them, it would make more sense to have at least one of the top defenceman scheduled for beyond 2026.

Otherwise how is the team supposed to manage Mailloux, Guhle, Xhekaj, Struble, Harris, Barron, Reinbacher, Hutson and Engstrom. And then there is also one of the russian prospect , Konyushkov, who has apparently made big strides, iirc it's a right side defensive defenceman which for that group could be valuable.

@WeePat

With 7.6m AAV which is lower than Suzuki and Caufield.

Love it. He improved quite a lot as last season progressed. That's quite a cheap contract to be locked into for 7-8 years from a Habs perspective.

I can not shake the feeling that the Red Wings are trying to position themselves for a run at Connor McDavid. The time line on some of these deals they still have on their books, the lack of buy outs and their refusal to go beyond offering Ghost 2 years just lines up too well.

Is Yzerman cooking up the most Yzerman move of all time?

I can not shake the feeling that the Red Wings are trying to position themselves for a run at Connor McDavid. The time line on some of these deals they still have on their books, the lack of buy outs and their refusal to go beyond offering Ghost 2 years just lines up too well.

Is Yzerman cooking up the most Yzerman move of all time?

I've no doubt teams would like to take a chance at him, but what makes you think he'll want to leave? His former agent is near enough our new GM without giving himself the GM title, his best mate is on the team with him (Drai) and we are going to be in and around the cup for the next 2 or 3 years. If they tie Drai down for another 6 to 8 years in the next few months, then Connor stays with the Oilers as well.

Whilst we live in the cap era and restraints on what we can spend, we'll be giving them as much as we can and build the teams around them. It wouldn't shock me if either or both actually take a little to no hike in wages to allow some more cap wiggle room going forward. It's not like in days gone by when teams could just offer way more wages than the Oilers could do for the star players.

Valtteri Filppula (40), a member of the Triple Gold Club, has returned to Jokerit, my childhood club. He has signed a 1-year contract with the club playing at the second highest level in Finland. It was also announced that he has become a part-owner of the club.

Oh and he will play the whole season without pay. Following an initiative by the club he might get some bonuses later in spring.

Valtteri Filppula (40), a member of the Triple Gold Club, has returned to Jokerit, my childhood club. He has signed a 1-year contract with the club playing at the second highest level in Finland. It was also announced that he has become a part-owner of the club.

Oh and he will play the whole season without pay. Following an initiative by the club he might get some bonuses later in spring.
How are Jokerit doing now? They came back two seasons ago, right? I'm surprised they didn't go straight back up, or is that not how it works?

How did you like when they joined the KHL? It seemed such a strange decision to me.

Last edited:
How Jokerit doing now? They can back two seasons ago, right? I'm surprised they didn't go straight back up, or is that not how it works?

How did you like when they joined the KHL? It seemed such a strange decision to me.

It was a horrendous decision. I must admit I tried to go a few times (mostly because my niece loves the club and wanted to go) and in terms of pure hockey quality it was brilliant. But I couldn't support that shit. Even less so after Russia invaded Ukraine (for the second time).

They're doing pretty well. They've re-structured the whole club. A whole new set of owners, board and leadership made up partly of ex-Jokerit players (Teräväinen, Lindell, Väänänen and now Filppula). They, well we, even made a small profit last season, which is pretty incredible.

The highest tier, Liiga, has been closed for ages. They only took in new clubs that were prepared to pay millions for a stake in the league. A club from the neighboring Espoo made the jump after last season but the price the league was asking from Jokerit was about 100% more than they did from Kiekko-Espoo.

Jokerit of course want to get there and the aim is to get there but they refuse to do it unsustainably. So that's why they've decided that it was wiser to stay in Mestis (second tier). For the upcoming season the champion of Mestis will for the first time in ages play a playoff against the last team in Liiga. Still not fair in my opinion, but it is what it is for now. The difference in budgets between the leagues are pretty damn big.

But even if they refuse to admit it, all the teams in Liiga know that Jokerit would bring a lot of revenue and big crowds into that competition. Something they are struggling with currently.

The boom and hype around Jokerit was huge last season. They got more media coverage than teams in Liiga and sold out most away games in small cities. Most of our home games' crowds surpassed the numbers Liiga teams get, so I think it's inevitable we'll get promoted sooner or later. In one way or another.

I think, perhaps with bias, that the champion of Mestis should get an automatic promotion to replace the last team in Liiga.

We'll see what happens, but overall the current trend with Jokerit is 100% positive.

Sorry for the long message! :lol:

Last edited:
Well with a couple of moves, it looks like the Oilers have put themselves into a position to thwart the Blues two offer sheets. I'm not sure the $4m for Broberg is his true wage, but I can't see him getting much higher or at all next contract around.

It was a horrendous decision. I must admit I tried to go a few times (mostly because my niece loves the club and wanted to go) and in terms of pure hockey quality it was brilliant. But I couldn't support that shit. Even less so after Russia invaded Ukraine (for the second time).

They're doing pretty well. They've re-structured the whole club. A whole new set of owners, board and leadership made up partly of ex-Jokerit players (Teräväinen, Lindell, Väänänen and now Filppula). They, well we, even made a small profit last season, which is pretty incredible.

The highest tier, Liiga, has been closed for ages. They only took in new clubs that were prepared to pay millions for a stake in the league. A club from the neighboring Espoo made the jump after last season but the price the league was asking from Jokerit was about 100% more than they did from Kiekko-Espoo.

Jokerit of course want to get there and the aim is to get there but they refuse to do it unsustainably. So that's why they've decided that it was wiser to stay in Mestis (second tier). For the upcoming season the champion of Mestis will for the first time in ages play a playoff against the last team in Liiga. Still not fair in my opinion, but it is what it is for now. The difference in budgets between the leagues are pretty damn big.

But even if they refuse to admit it, all the teams in Liiga know that Jokerit would bring a lot of revenue and big crowds into that competition. Something they are struggling with currently.

The boom and hype around Jokerit was huge last season. They got more media coverage than teams in Liiga and sold out most away games in small cities. Most of our home games' crowds surpassed the numbers Liiga teams get, so I think it's inevitable we'll get promoted sooner or later. In one way or another.

I think, perhaps with bias, that the champion of Mestis should get an automatic promotion to replace the last team in Liiga.

We'll see what happens, but overall the current trend with Jokerit is 100% positive.

Sorry for the long message! :lol:
No, it's interesting! I lived in Helsinki for a few years, although my first place was near Jäähalli when Jokerit were still playing in the Hartwell Areena, so I 'had' to prefer HIFK between the two Helsinki clubs. ;)

What is the Hartwell Areena used for now btw? I see Jokerit now split their games between the Jäähalli and an arena in Kerava. I was there once (Hartwell), possibly for a match between Jokerit and HIFK, but I can't remember... I also saw the Blues once in Espoo, possibly also against HIFK, but I went with a Blues-supporting friend, so that was the focus.

I didn't know Liiga worked like that. I hope Jokerit can make their way back in, they're such an institution!

Season 2024/2025 New
Should someone start a thread for the new NHL season btw?

No, it's interesting! I lived in Helsinki for a few years, although my first place was near Jäähalli when Jokerit were still playing in the Hartwell Areena, so I 'had' to prefer HIFK between the two Helsinki clubs. ;)

What is the Hartwell Areena used for now btw? I see Jokerit now split their games between the Jäähalli and an arena in Kerava. I was there once (Hartwell), possibly for a match between Jokerit and HIFK, but I can't remember... I also saw the Blues once in Espoo, possibly also against HIFK, but I went with a Blues-supporting friend, so that was the focus.

I didn't know Liiga worked like that. I hope Jokerit can make their way back in, they're such an institution!

Well, to make things even more fecked up, Hartwall Areena is still owned by the Russians. It hasn’t been in any use since the invasion and Jokerit’s decision to leave KHL.

The Finnish government has been and is trying to force the sale of the arena but it’s evidently not that simple and easy with all the sanctions etc.

So last season came pretty quickly after the sale of the club was finalised so we had to play in Kerava too. Those games were unprofitable whereas the ones in the old arena, Jäähalli made profit.

We’ll play the whole coming season in Jäähalli, which is great. It was our home before Hartwall Areena was built, so there’s a lot of Jokerit history in the building too.

Last edited:
Well, to make things even more fecked up, Hartwall Areena is still owned by the Russians. It hasn’t been in any use since the invasion and Jokerit’s decision to leave KHL.

The Finnish government has been and is trying to force the sale of the arena but it’s evidently not that simple and easy with all the sanctions etc.

So last season came pretty quickly after the sale of the club was finalised so we had to play in Kerava too. Those games were unprofitable whereas the ones in the old arena, Jäähalli made profit.

We’ll play the whole coming season in Jäähalli, which is great. It was our home before Hartwall Areena was built, so there’s a lot of Jokerit history in the building too.
Sucks about Hartwall, but Jäähalli should be nice. :) I suppose HIFK is still there as well?

Anyway, good luck next season!

Sucks about Hartwall, but Jäähalli should be nice. :) I suppose HIFK is still there as well?

Anyway, good luck next season!

Yeah they are. Their own arena project has been in the pipeline for probably 15 years but that’s still where it is, in the pipeline.

Thank you! :angel:

Letting Podz go for as little as a fourth seems strange. He's a decentish prospect and earning 1 million a season....

I wasn't so ready to give up on him. Though can't argue with Rutherford/Allvin so far in decision making.

Yeah they are. Their own arena project has been in the pipeline for probably 15 years but that’s still where it is, in the pipeline.
Sounds like you got a good rivalry with HIFK going there. :p

I had found this page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indoor_arenas_in_Finland. I noticed it included three major new arenas in the Helsinki area (including the Vantaa one), so I figured that weren't all really going to happen! :lol: And Hartwell is still fine, right? I mean, for when eventually it returns to Finnish hands.

(Reading about Suvilahti/Sörnäinen made me feel all nostalgic. We should visit again! :) )

Sounds like you got a good rivalry with HIFK going there. :p

I had found this page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indoor_arenas_in_Finland. I noticed it included three major new arenas in the Helsinki area (including the Vantaa one), so I figured that weren't all really going to happen! :lol: And Hartwell is still fine, right? I mean, for when eventually it returns to Finnish hands.

(Reading about Suvilahti/Sörnäinen made me feel all nostalgic. We should visit again! :) )

Well there's been some talk about the condition of the building due its lack of use. Behind the scenes there has been some staff of the owned company to make sure it doesn't rot away, but I guess some type of a small facelift would be needed, but nothing major.

That are is one my favorites in the city, you are more than welcome to visit! Let me know if you do :)

Last edited:
Well there's been some talk about the condition of the building due its lack of use. Behind the scenes there has been some staff of the owned company to make sure it doesn't rot away, but I guess some type of small lift-up would be needed, but nothing major.

That are is one my favorites in the city, you are more than welcome to visit! Let me know if you do :)
Thanks!

I used to live nearby for a while and otherwise passed through it so often It's kinda iconic to me, like Hakaniemi (but Sörnäinen more). I suppose that all sounds pretty pedestrian to a local, but it's all nostalgia to me! :)

Thanks!

I used to live nearby for a while and otherwise passed through it so often It's kinda iconic to me, like Hakaniemi (but Sörnäinen more). I suppose that all sounds pretty pedestrian to a local, but it's all nostalgia to me! :)

No I get it. Even though I’ve lived here almost my whole life I’m still able to cherish all the good stuff about my hometown.

No I get it. Even though I’ve lived here almost my whole life I’m still able to cherish all the good stuff about my hometown.
I'm straying pretty far from NHL talk here, but I loved living in Helsinki. I wouldn't much recommend it to tourists (even if there some nice sights), but it's amazing for living - all the green space, biking and walking trails, the sea, and just the whole dynamic of the city and Finnish life. I was also lucky to work in downtown, right outside the cathedral, close to excellent public transport links and within biking distance of my home.

That was a good time! :)

I'm straying pretty far from NHL talk here, but I loved living in Helsinki. I wouldn't much recommend it to tourists (even if there some nice sights), but it's amazing for living - all the green space, biking and walking trails, the sea, and just the whole dynamic of the city and Finnish life. I was also lucky to work in downtown, right outside the cathedral, close to excellent public transport links and within biking distance of my home.

That was a good time! :)

Considering this an inactive thread and not in the football forum, I'll continue the discussion here :angel: :lol:

How long did you stay here? Yeah I get what you're saying. It's quite a specific tourist destination. I mean there are a lot of cities and countries with more WOW experience. But as you said living here you get to perhaps see things from a different perspective. More or less the best public transportation in the world, everything is very clean and despite being the capital there's still a lot of open space, a great Central Park (no New York, that is not a park) etc.

Of course you do pay for all that with the relatively high taxes and price levels, but I'm more than fine with that.

Hmm, I sound like a fecking travel agent. What can I say though, I love my city.

Last edited:
Considering this an inactive thread and not in the football forum, I'll continue the discussion here :angel: :lol:

How long did you stay here? Yeah I get what you're saying. It's quite a specific tourist destination. I mean there are a lot of cities and countries with more WOW experience. But as you said living here you get to perhaps see things from a different perspective. More or less the best public transportation in the world, everything is very clean and despite being the capital there's still a lot of open space, a great Central Park (no New York, that is not a park) etc.

Of course you do pay for all that with the relatively high taxes and price levels, but I'm more than fine with that.
About 2.5 years in two separate spells, a good while ago.

Yeah, it's not paradise, and obviously you don't get to have a house in Helsinki; it's pretty much guaranteed to be an apartment. The city also used to be a little boring/behind compared to western Europe, but then I never cared much for fine dining anyway. It's just a pity bands often didn't cross the Baltic Sea, but maybe that's better now as well.

And I liked the understated architecture. Mannerheimintie is pretty nicer closer to downtown, then there's the stuff around Rautatientori, and I like the Finnish Jugendstil you see south of downtown and in Katajanokka.

I'm not actually sure which park you mean for central park, there are so many big ones around downtown! :lol:

Oh, great trails for cross-country skiing as well, to at least weave winter sports back into the conversation a bit. ;)

About 2.5 years in two separate spells, a good while ago.

Yeah, it's not paradise, and obviously you don't get to have a house in Helsinki; it's pretty much guaranteed to be an apartment. The city also used to be a little boring/behind compared to western Europe, but then I never cared much for fine dining anyway. It's just a pity bands often didn't cross the Baltic Sea, but maybe that's better now as well.

And I liked the understated architecture. Mannerheimintie is pretty nicer closer to downtown, then there's the stuff around Rautatientori, and I like the Finnish Jugendstil you see south of downtown and in Katajanokka.

I'm not actually sure which park you mean for central park, there are so many big ones around downtown! :lol:

Oh, great trails for cross-country skiing as well, to at least weave winter sports back into the conversation a bit. ;)

The actual Central Park that is an area of around 1000 hectares. It touches so many parts of the city, actually one of its edges is around 500m from Jäähalli. So many hiking/cross-country skiing paths, hills, sports fields, huge areas of rental garden plots, historic sights including a former ski jumping hill etc. It still fascinates me after all these years. So many paths to choose.

Yeah you're pretty well-off if you're able to buy a house in here. Even apartments are pretty damn expensive. But I don't mind living in rental apartments. It gives you some freedom too.

Yeah mega stars and bands don't visit us that often, that is true. Then again if that's not your thing there's a very vibrant music/gig scene for "smaller" artists. This summer we got Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen out of the biggest artists, but yeah Stockholm/Copenhagen is a pretty popular destination for Finns when it comes to huge concerts.

Like you said about the architecture, that's one of those specific things I meant. Some tourists value that kind of stuff while perhaps not the majority.

The actual Central Park that is an area of around 1000 hectares. It touches so many parts of the city, actually one of its edges is around 500m from Jäähalli. So many hiking/cross-country skiing paths, hills, sports fields, huge areas of rental garden plots, historic sights including a former ski jumping hill etc. It still fascinates me after all these years. So many paths to choose.

Yeah you're pretty well-off if you're able to buy a house in here. Even apartments are pretty damn expensive. But I don't mind living in rental apartments. It gives you some freedom too.

Yeah mega stars and bands don't visit us that often, that is true. Then again if that's not your thing there's a very vibrant music/gig scene for "smaller" artists. This summer we got Coldplay and Bruce Springsteen out of the biggest artists, but yeah Stockholm/Copenhagen is a pretty popular destination for Finns when it comes to huge concerts.

Like you said about the architecture, that's one of those specific things I meant. Some tourists value that kind of stuff while perhaps not the majority.
Yeah, I knew you meant the one that stretches out north behind the station. :) But there's so much choice really. But yeah, that one's amazing. Gardens in the south and then pretty much just a narrow stretch of actual forest from Laakso going north. On the other side of town, it's very nice around the bay south of Viikki as well btw, basically east of Vanhakaupunki.

I didn't actually mean the big bands, I don't care so much for those. I rather meant the smaller rock bands, which would usually tour a couple of places in the Netherlands (where I used to see them before) and Germany and then might head north into Denmark and Sweden - but usually didn't cross the sea to Finland. That might have changed since though!