N'Golo Kante - From Rubbish Collector To World Cup Winner

Rasmus_9

Watched the game without commentary and genuinely wondered who the Kante regen was. I thought Kante had retired in all honesty and even if he hadn’t there was no way he could still be that fit and covering so much ground!! What a player!

Mike Smalling

I haven’t really followed the buildup to the Euros that closely, so I was pretty surprised to see him starting yesterday - probably thought he wasn’t even in the squad.

But he was everywhere yesterday. So much energy. It was like watching Kante five year ago.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Yeah it's definitely the case. To (ever so slightly) defend Chelsea's medical team, Kante would routinely come back and play at a tremendous level from the get go. Could be wrong of course but personally felt there was the sense that he'd never complain if something was bothering him and would give 110% even if he wasn't physically capable.

Like I said, only upside is that Chelsea recognised the need for surgical intervention with James because it's the same injury - and while no one will ever match Kante's workrate, he and James both had/have a propensity to come back sooner than is advisable.
Thanks for this, btw.

I'd written him off as ruined by the insane output during his best years. It'll be fantastic if he can continue in this vein throughout the tournament.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Thanks for this, btw.

I'd written him off as ruined by the insane output during his best years. It'll be fantastic if he can continue in this vein throughout the tournament.
Of course, any time mate!

And agreed - it's not like Kante should be totally past it at age 33. Will always wish the best for him obviously.

diarm

Thanks for this, btw.

If he does and they win it, I feel there is a legitimate argument to be made around him being as important a player in his position as Ronaldo or Messi:
  • Goes to Leicester and they win an unprecedented title.
  • Goes to Chelsea and they win the title, the cup, the European Cup and the Club World Cup.
  • Plays for France and they win the World Cup and the Nations League.

The guy is a colossus, and when he’s playing like last night, it’s like having 12 players on the pitch.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If he does and they win it, I feel there is a legitimate argument to be made around him important a player in his position as Ronaldo or Messi.

Goes to Leicester and they win an unprecedented title.

Goes to Chelsea and they win the title, the cup, the European Cup and the Club World Cup.

Plays for France and they win the World Cup and the Nations League.

The guy is a colossus, and when he’s playing like last night, it’s like having 12 players on the pitch.
Certainly think it’ll boost him to another level in all-time regard, and I don’t think there’d be much to refute or pick apart under scrutiny.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah it's definitely the case. To (ever so slightly) defend Chelsea's medical team, Kante would routinely come back and play at a tremendous level from the get go. Could be wrong of course but personally felt there was the sense that he'd never complain if something was bothering him and would give 110% even if he wasn't physically capable.

Like I said, only upside is that Chelsea recognised the need for surgical intervention with James because it's the same injury - and while no one will ever match Kante's workrate, he and James both had/have a propensity to come back sooner than is advisable.
Was pretty annoying we only truly got to see his partnership with Enzo once which was that Liverpool game under Bruno Saltor and we absolutely outplayed an all be it poor Liverpool (don't really count the Lampard games as the team phoned it in for the season and his set ups were excruciatingly poor).

That being said I've got absolutely no doubt Poch would have somehow found a way to make even Kante look poor.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
The fact he's back to full fitness and form and played 40+ games this season... Great news for him and Franve

Also Confirms our medical team are trash and or we're cursed since the takeover...

Oldyella

The fact he's back to full fitness and form and played 40+ games this season... Great news for him and Franve

Also Confirms our medical team are trash and or we're cursed since the takeover...
Welcome to the party pal.

Lynty

I hope he's remembered as one of the best midfielders of all time. He's in that "chat code" group of players, that just excel in an area so much that the opposition can't do anything about it. The intensity of pro football is insane, but can you imagine trying to receive the ball and Kante is on you 0.1 of a second after the ball reaches you.

Todd

Shame he went to a joke league when he still clearly had time to excel at the highest level

tentan

Poor man's poster.
MOTM. Crazy he's keeping the likes of Camavinga and Tchoemeni on the bench.

Joel Miller

I was surprised at how good he still looked on the ball. Looks like he could easily still be doing a job for a top team in the PL.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Shame he went to a joke league when he still clearly had time to excel at the highest level
It's good for him. His hamstring and knee needed some much need rest away from severe workload. Hope will prolong his international career much more.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
Do we have any Ligue 1 watchers here who can remember what he was like at Caen?

I know it's with the benefit of hindsight but I just don't see how everyone(but Leicester obviously) missed this guy, unless he really did just take a massive step forward once he came to England. Maybe clubs were aware but thought he was too small?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I love how everyone seems to appreciate him.
Well, when he's on, it's some freaky shit, which I'm sure boggles their minds even more than ours, as fellow athletes who he makes look like amateurs with his output.

If he's like that for the whole tournament, the rest of them are going to be so buoyed up to go out and support him.

Josh 76

Do we have any Ligue 1 watchers here who can remember what he was like at Caen?

I know it's with the benefit of hindsight but I just don't see how everyone(but Leicester obviously) missed this guy, unless he really did just take a massive step forward once he came to England. Maybe clubs were aware but thought he was too small?
I think he was playing as a winger when Leicester signed him. Then they were playing a friendly and put him in CM due to some injuries. The rest is history!

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I think he was playing as a winger when Leicester signed him. Then they were playing a friendly and put him in CM due to some injuries. The rest is history!
Ah, didn't know that, would certainly explain a lot.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I haven’t really followed the buildup to the Euros that closely, so I was pretty surprised to see him starting yesterday - probably thought he wasn’t even in the squad.

But he was everywhere yesterday. So much energy. It was like watching Kante five year ago.
He was recalled to the squad by Deschamps to everyone's surprise, there was some suggestion he wouldn't be up to it, but...
Would be nice for him to play for a proper club!

I love how everyone seems to appreciate him.
Well, why wouldn't they? He seems like a nice bloke all around that never voices an opinion. Also, maybe they shouldn't get SO excited after a mediocre showing against a limited Austria team.

mbappe2024

Supports
Real madrid
The best defensive I have seen just in front mahmadou diarra who was a boss in midfield for real madrid in their 2 ligas titles back to back in 2007 and 2008.