Next Real Madrid manager | Glaston has a shocker

I think Pochettino would be crazy to take this job after they just won 3 CLs. The minute they get eliminated he'll be at risk of being fired. I'd hang on at Spurs for now and hope to get a big job that won't sack you right away for not winning the CL or league like United or one where you're pretty sure you can win the league like Bayern, PSG or Juve.
This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. You cannot refuse Real Madrid if you're latin, the risk is worth it. Besides many managers have failed their before their recent successes in the CL and it never tarnished their reputations and the offers they received afterwards

It doesnt work like that in practise. They'd agree on some middle ground. You really can't force a contract on intelectual thing. Poch could easilly not doing anything other than coming to work. Hence at the end of the day contract means nothing. Although no manager or club would go to such extend as it's bad for business.
Yeah to be honest I don’t know about the finances behind it, but I was just demonstrating to the other fella how you’d get out of a contract and why they’d have to pay to get Poch out.

I think Poch will wait for the next couple of weeks and see if RM can make any headway with Levy. Given we all know they won't he'll then have to decide if he wants to force the move, which he will be able to, but it will destroy his relationship with Spurs.

He's mid forties and hasn't won a major trophy in his career, if he doesn't do everything in his power to get to RM he's mad. Even if he failed there I think most PL clubs would be interested in him (inc Spurs again) so in my mind it's win-win.

Why the feck are you lot arguing about specifics in a contract that you haven't read or seen? Also, who says a contract can't be enforced apart from Sky1981? that is the very reason they are written.

Why the feck are you lot arguing about specifics in a contract that you haven't read or seen? Also, who says a contract can't be enforced apart from Sky1981? that is the very reason they are written.

The contract can be enforced in the sense that if one part unilaterally break it the other part will be due compensation. In the case of work contracts, freedom to work and seek employment means that you can't force someone to not resign which leads us to two scenario either the contract includes outs such as release clauses, breakup fees or even freedom to resign with a temporary inability to work in the same field for a relatively short period of time, the other scenario is an arbitration to determine whether there is a legit ground to break the contract and the amount of compensations required.

The contract can be enforced in the sense that if one part unilaterally break it the other part will be due compensation. In the case of work contracts, freedom to work and seek employment means that you can't force someone to not resign which leads us to two scenario either the contract includes outs such as release clauses, breakup fees or even freedom to resign with a temporary inability to work in the same field for a relatively short period of time, the other scenario is an arbitration to determine whether there is a legit ground to break the contract and the amount of compensations required.

Of course there will be negotiations on compensations that suits both parties. But the reason there is negotiations in the first place is due to the written contract. Saying that contracts can be enforced is pure madness, then Poch would walk out of the door and take the job at Madrid. He is under contract to Spurs and Spurs get to figure out the best compensation package for him. I'd like to see what would be the result of arbitration process after an employee who signs a 5 year contract extension and does an about face 15 days after because someone else is interested.

I mean, say if David De Gea extends his contract and 15 days later says he wants to go to Madrid. Would we say 'we should demand 250 million pounds and Bale coz the guy signed a contract recently' or would you be like 'well, temporary inability to work, yada yada, legit break ground yada yada'.

Of course there will be negotiations on compensations that suits both parties. But the reason there is negotiations in the first place is due to the written contract. Saying that contracts can be enforced is pure madness, then Poch would walk out of the door and take the job at Madrid. He is under contract to Spurs and Spurs get to figure out the best compensation package for him. I'd like to see what would be the result of arbitration process after an employee who signs a 5 year contract extension and does an about face 15 days after because someone else is interested.

I mean, say if David De Gea extends his contract and 15 days later says he wants to go to Madrid. Would we say 'we should demand 250 million pounds and Bale coz the guy signed a contract recently' or would you be like 'well, temporary inability to work, yada yada, legit break ground yada yada'.

Players are different because they need to acquire licenses that are registered and unregistered. In theory a player could just resign and then sign for someone else but his initial club will most likely keep the registration, so while the player would be an employee of the new club, they couldn't use him. Managers are like you and I, we can resign the day of our hiring, there is next to nothing preventing us from doing it other than the risk of being sued but even then you can still be employed by someone, the question in sport is more about solidarity between members like we have seen in Rugby with Goosen who resigned a few weeks after signing a new contract with Racing, he could have signed for whoever he wanted but clubs decided that they wouldn't do it in the short term and would negotiate with Racing first.

Players are different because they need to acquire licenses that are registered and unregistered. In theory a player could just resign and then sign for someone else but his initial club will most likely keep the registration, so while the player would be an employee of the new club, they couldn't use him. Managers are like you and I, we can resign the day of our hiring, there is next to nothing preventing us from doing it other than the risk of being sued but even then you can still be employed by someone, the question in sport is more about solidarity between members like we have seen in Rugby with Goosen who resigned a few weeks after signing a new contract with Racing, he could have signed for whoever he wanted but clubs decided that they wouldn't do it in the short term and would negotiate with Racing first.

Thanks man, I didn't know that

Porch ain't bad, but I wouldn't sign any Spurs player, they're either not good enough, or not worth half the price that's being talked about, so hard pass on the players.

With Sarri deal seems to break down with Chelsea, thing becomes interested. Something Tottenham may has to think about.

Thanks man, I didn't know that

And head coach, manager job is oversee many other workers. If the head coach manager mind ain't 100% in it, it can affect the workers under him thus a bigger drop in performance. It's much more damning than one player act up. Recent example is Marco Silva last season. Once he made it known he wanted out, Watford attempt to keep him affected the team in negative way. It's a smaller club with lesser ambition, and burden. The higher on the ladder, the more risk involved. It's rare to see a manager being kept when he actively seek to walk out.

Last edited:
This may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for him. You cannot refuse Real Madrid if you're latin, the risk is worth it. Besides many managers have failed their before their recent successes in the CL and it never tarnished their reputations and the offers they received afterwards

I get that, and you're right that he could probably get a good job after failing like Emery and Ancelotti have just done, but I just think Poch trying to get Madrid to play a more demanding system and facing player power who will inevitably push to go back to their style that won 3 CLs if they struggle is a recipe for disaster.

It's all well and good saying Madrid have talented young players but they are no replacements for Modric and Ronaldo. They also need a better striker than benzema.

Except Cristiano Ronaldo is Real Madrid's actual out-and-out striker for them and it's been proven that he doesn't work alongside with an another pure striker next to him.

The likes of Harry Kane, Icardi, Lewandowski, Cavani etc. won't come as long as he's part of the club.

Benzema is more of a SS/F9 depending on the formation and he's a very crucial part for the way RM are playing.

The rebuild needed is massive though, given they have to replace Bale and Benzema too. Top attacking players can go for 100m+ each.

Doubt Benzema will be replaced and Bale has hinted that he'll leave the club if he become a undisputed starter ahead of Isco.

The most interesting development could be the Center Forward position at Madrid. Now that Zidane is gone, Benzema's position is under threat and I could see them buying Icardi for 100m under a coach who fancies the italian league

Why would Benzema's position be under threat after Zidane's resignation since he's been a starter for years by the likes of Mou, Ancelotti & Benitez before?

Also... Benzema & Icardi are completely different type of players. If anything, I'd rather say that they could actually complimenting pretty well.

Cristiano is their actual striker and like I said before, he doesn't work well with an another pure striker next to him (as seen when Morata played last season).

I get that, and you're right that he could probably get a good job after failing like Emery and Ancelotti have just done, but I just think Poch trying to get Madrid to play a more demanding system and facing player power who will inevitably push to go back to their style that won 3 CLs if they struggle is a recipe for disaster.
The chances of failure would be huge indeed. I mean Zidane, got the respect of his players because he was an outstanding player for the club and he worked at the club for years before getting the opportunity

The chances of failure would be huge indeed. I mean Zidane, got the respect of his players because he was an outstanding player for the club and he worked at the club for years before getting the opportunity

And he is a born leader, you remember how France players reacted when he came back, he just control of everything.

Last edited:
If they WANT WANT WANT Poch, i think they'll get him.

Except Cristiano Ronaldo is Real Madrid's actual out-and-out striker for them and it's been proven that he doesn't work alongside with an another pure striker next to him.

The likes of Harry Kane, Icardi, Lewandowski, Cavani etc. won't come as long as he's part of the club.

Benzema is more of a SS/F9 depending on the formation and he's a very crucial part for the way RM are playing.

Doubt Benzema will be replaced and Bale has hinted that he'll leave the club if he become a undisputed starter ahead of Isco.

Why would Benzema's position be under threat after Zidane's resignation since he's been a starter for years by the likes of Mou, Ancelotti & Benitez before?

Also... Benzema & Icardi are completely different type of players. If anything, I'd rather say that they could actually complimenting pretty well.

Cristiano is their actual striker and like I said before, he doesn't work well with an another pure striker next to him (as seen when Morata played last season).
I agree with your point regarding Benzema role in the Madrid team, especially as the soil for Ronaldo. Thing is the news is coming as Perez wants to phase out Ronaldo (which also influenced Benzema role in the team) and Zidane refused to cooperate on this term

I agree with your point regarding Benzema role in the Madrid team, especially as the soil for Ronaldo. Thing is the news is coming as Perez wants to phase out Ronaldo (which also influenced Benzema role in the team) and Zidane refused to cooperate on this term

Benzema is more than capable to actually play well without Cristiano, so I don't really buy that reasoning.

Like I said before, Benzema (depending on his role) will still be an important cog for RM regardless if they bring in Salah, Neymar, Kane, Icardi etc.

Benzema is more than capable to actually play well without Cristiano, so I don't really buy that reasoning.

Like I said before, Benzema (depending on his role) will still be an important cog for RM regardless if they bring in Salah, Neymar, Kane, Icardi etc.
This season proves otherwise. When Ronaldo was out of form, not available, Madrid basically threw their league campaign out of the door with Benzema's failure to offer goal. His partnership ain't helping as others ain't Ronaldo.

I think Poch will wait for the next couple of weeks and see if RM can make any headway with Levy. ...

Lol ... he had the chance to wait just a few days (until the CL final outcome was known) before deciding whether or not to sign the new contract. He didn't wait.

But now we're supposed to believe he'll wait a couple of weeks and then force a move if needed?

The wishful-thinking on display here is a sight to behold ... lol.

If Poch turns Madrid down then he's just scared too take the burden of the job. He can actually have a chance to win silverware unlike at that meaningless club he's at.

Since some people were saying earlier in the thread that the best managers might do well to give this opportunity a pass given the challenge of the re-build perhaps then Poch is following this exact line of thinking?

This season proves otherwise. When Ronaldo was out of form, not available, Madrid basically threw their league campaign out of the door with Benzema's failure to offer goal. His partnership ain't helping as others ain't Ronaldo.

The team (including Benzema) was still creating chances for Cristiano who was misfiring like there's no tomorrow. Not until when Barcelona literary secured the league title in December that Cristiano delivered feck ton of goals. And I'd like to say that RM's horrific defence was the big cause for not winning LaLiga as they conceded 44 goals compared to Atletico (22) and Barcelona (29). Ridiculous to soley scapegoat Benzema for their bad league campaign.

Current bookies favourites for the job:

Pochettino evens
Wenger 4/1
Guti 6/1
Conte 8/1
Sarri 10/1
Allegri 14/1
Low 16/1

The team (including Benzema) was still creating chances for Cristiano who was misfiring like there's no tomorrow. Not until when Barcelona literary secured the league title in December that Cristiano delivered feck ton of goals. And I'd like to say that RM's horrific defence was the big cause for not winning LaLiga as they conceded 44 goals compared to Atletico (22) and Barcelona (29). Ridiculous to soley scapegoat Benzema for their bad league campaign.
Like I said I am not here to scapegoating Benzema just that the general consensus (you can see even here between a big rebuild vs just strengthen debate, people both sides agreed to point finger at Madrid CF position as a must), and Perez is known to politically going to please the public. Zidane as the news brings us is Zidane doesn't follow this plan thus he decided to leave than risking losing trust of his players while failing to fulfill the expectation

In scenario Poch would continue to do well, Yes. Thing is life is unpredictable. Chelsea, Arsenal may turn up this season, while the Northern big boys is investing heavily and may pull ahead, Tottenham risk the chance to slip out of top 4. So the risk for not having second chanceis as high as failing. Thing is failing with Madrid is not the end of the world, while doing a Wenger is truly damaging.
Not really, would Spurs finish outside of top 4 next season (which is pretty realistic) his chances of ever managing Madrid will be as good as gone unless he manages to achieve something fantastic with other clubs. Madrid only comes once for decent managers, they may come back only for top tier ones aka Pep (not happening but that's the caliber)/Jose/Cappelo in the past etc., so yeah chances are big he won't get another chance like this and Real's pull is immense for South Americans.
If he doesn't back himself to continue his success then he definitely doesn't have the yams to manage Real Madrid.

And even if he wants to go, what's he going to do? Hurl his potty out the window and pigsqueal for his move like he tries to castigate his players for doing?

The key point in all of this is that Levy is in his favourite position on his favourite stage.

I could understand Poch turning them down gently, trying not to burn any bridges with Madrid whilst appearing committed to Tottenham’s first season or two in the new stadium (if it’s completed on time). Might be a good way to sit on the sidelines and see which way the wind blows with the old guard like Ronaldo, Ramos, Bale, Benzema, etc.

On the other hand, Perez can play the “it’s now or never” card. Poch will buckle and take the job, if it gets that far. He won’t risk relying on Pérez to get voted out to get the opportunity. If RM go in heavy, he’s off I think, but it’s probably not his preference.

Lol ... he had the chance to wait just a few days (until the CL final outcome was known) before deciding whether or not to sign the new contract. He didn't wait.

But now we're supposed to believe he'll wait a couple of weeks and then force a move if needed?

The wishful-thinking on display here is a sight to behold ... lol.

I'm just putting myself in his shoes. I think he wants the move, judging by past comments he has made, but no one expected Zidane to be sacked or to quit so it's caught everyone a bit off guard. It's only an opinion but had the footballing world know Zidane was going to leave, I am certain he would have delayed signing this new deal.

I get you're a Spurs fan but just look at what he's saying - compare it to Low for example: "You can rule me out completely". It's a bit like DDG with us, maybe his character is too professional to come out and force a move but deep down I think he wants it. Good thing for you is Levy is by all accounts a nightmare to deal with so Perez will have his hands full.

If he doesn't back himself to continue his success then he definitely doesn't have the yams to manage Real Madrid.

And even if he wants to go, what's he going to do? Hurl his potty out the window and pigsqueal for his move like he tries to castigate his players for doing?

The key point in all of this is that Levy is in his favourite position on his favourite stage.
You don't fancy you to continue to success where you're doesn't mean you would turn down Madrid. Look back you see quite a list of managers jump as first chance Madrid, Barcelona come calling.

There is thousand ways to get his point across which badly affects the morale of the club if he wants to. What would Levy do? Can he appoint his assistant as head coach while telling Poch to have a vacation during the season? Appoint interim manager to give current manager a break?

It's also a question of habit. If Benzema plays mostly with Cristiano, he is used to a certain role. When Cristiano is gone, not only Benzema but the whole team has to adjust to his absence and change their roles somewhat. I agree with you that Benzema is more than capable of adjusting, but the team as a whole needs preparation to adapt to an eventual Cristiano departure. I know I wouldn't get rid of Benzema unless a fantastic offer came in and I had a world-class player to bring in to replace him. He's been sub-par this season, but the whole team has been for a big chunk of the season.