Film Movies and Shows That Completely Missed The Point of the Source Material

Know if it's possible to watch that ending anywhere ?

I remember seeing it in the DVD bonus features and wondering why they didn't use it.

The film set it up really well up to that point too so it makes it even more annoying.

I remember seeing it in the DVD bonus features and wondering why they didn't use it.

The film set it up really well up to that point too so it makes it even more annoying.

Still it's a far cry from the books. Remember the CGI looking much better when I last watched it :lol:

Bourne identify. Well the whole trilogy...

To be honest, it starts off the same. Then goes off completely on a tangent and barely has any resemblance to the novels, aside from the odd name thrown in there.

In their case i would say the film adaptions were far better than the books

From Hell by Alan Moore -
From Hell by The Hughes Brothers.

Absolute laughable adaption.

I disagree most heartily.
Edit: Which is not to say I dislike the film.
For me the film adaptation is a great example of schlock

Schlock is the disconnect between the logical and emotional parts of your mind. When a movie is objectively stupid, immature or nonsensical but you experience pleasure from it anyway, you call it schlock.

It's campy, over the top and well meaningfully. You get some nice messages about the idea of the universal subject, watch some Tory get done over and the film finishes off with the house of parliament being blown to pieces. All under 3 hours.

Where as with Moore original work it has the positives of more in depth world, detail characters, creating a better moral question, in the end it takes its self far too seriously for what is in my view a poor critique of both Thatcher and fascism.

Last edited:
The Tim Story Fantastic Four films. They take one of Marvel Comics' most mysterious and iconic villains - someone who has years worth of intrigue about how he came to be permanently behind a mask - and practically open this film with him as a regular Hollywood-handsome rich guy businessman. They then follow that film up by depicting their other famous adversary as a cloud.

Spook's Apprentice was from a book series I read quite a lot when I was younger as it takes place in Lancashire and even has a book set in Preston so I always held it quite dear to my heart. The film basically kept no likable elements to it, it's meant to be creepy and dark but it just felt like a cheap (or expensive) attempt to cash in on the young adult audience. They got the whole setting off from the offset, it was always described as being darkly lit, almost gothic in early 1700s England. There was a lot of focus on early English folklore with a dark twist on it.

The Darren Shan movie was shite, had elements of the 8th book onwards in the first film, which itself seemed to be a mash of books 1-3. There was a lot of potential with that series considering its popularity but a big swing and a miss in terms of execution. The whole idea of Darren having to leave his family behind was a huge part of the first book and at the end of the film they had them be kidnapped by a villain who wasn't even introduced until the 3rd book. The thing the books did well was how difficult it was for Darren to transition from being a human to a vampire, something which took multiple books to do.

Avatar the Last Airbender is regarded as one of the greatest cartoon shows ever but the live-action adaptation is regarded as one of the worst. The writing and acting was bottom tier, basically all of the dialogue was exposition rather than why they were actually doing what they were doing, they also whitewashed most of the main characters. A lot of the plot made no sense too, they sort of just lurched from one disaster to the next.

Oh, I forgot another one; The Dark Tower. What the absolute feck happened with that film? Just crammed umpteen books into one 2 hour movie and left loads of folk confused. I haven't read the books but my missus has and when we came out the cinema she was....for lack of a better word, speechless. Which never happens, gobby bitch.

Oh, I forgot another one; The Dark Tower. What the absolute feck happened with that film? Just crammed umpteen books into one 2 hour movie and left loads of folk confused. I haven't read the books but my missus has and when we came out the cinema she was....for lack of a better word, speechless. Which never happens, gobby bitch.

It was really bad but trust me there is nothing worse than the actual ending of those books

Spook's Apprentice was from a book series I read quite a lot when I was younger as it takes place in Lancashire and even has a book set in Preston so I always held it quite dear to my heart. The film basically kept no likable elements to it, it's meant to be creepy and dark but it just felt like a cheap (or expensive) attempt to cash in on the young adult audience. They got the whole setting off from the offset, it was always described as being darkly lit, almost gothic in early 1700s England. There was a lot of focus on early English folklore with a dark twist on it.

The Darren Shan movie was shite, had elements of the 8th book onwards in the first film, which itself seemed to be a mash of books 1-3. There was a lot of potential with that series considering its popularity but a big swing and a miss in terms of execution. The whole idea of Darren having to leave his family behind was a huge part of the first book and at the end of the film they had them be kidnapped by a villain who wasn't even introduced until the 3rd book. The thing the books did well was how difficult it was for Darren to transition from being a human to a vampire, something which took multiple books to do.

Avatar the Last Airbender is regarded as one of the greatest cartoon shows ever but the live-action adaptation is regarded as one of the worst. The writing and acting was bottom tier, basically all of the dialogue was exposition rather than why they were actually doing what they were doing, they also whitewashed most of the main characters. A lot of the plot made no sense too, they sort of just lurched from one disaster to the next.
Loved those books when I read them as a kid, the movie was so shite it genuinely annoyed me. Wasted potential, would probably make a decent Netflix series.

Loved those books when I read them as a kid, the movie was so shite it genuinely annoyed me. Wasted potential, would probably make a decent Netflix series.
Yeah it would, you could probably do it in the style of something like Stranger Things. Bit of a shame we’ll never see it attempted again because of how big a failure the first one was.

This is an opinion - in the form of a question - which is likely to be argued against, and understandably so: has the grandeur, horror, and dark glamour of Dracula and his story (the character) ever been successfully portrayed on-screen? Or is it impossible, perhaps, for all the important and crucial elements/nuances of a story to be entirely embodied in a tv show or a film?

Damn...it seems that I remain the Van Helsing of interesting threads... :(

Pretty much every American movie based off an anime. Namely Dragon Ball Evolution and Netflix's Death Note.
That's the one, absolutely dreadful and basically made the whole of Asia very skeptical of any American movie based off anime ever since.

Edge of Tomorrow is the only one that turned out ok.

V for Vendetta. Dune. Both stray off point and off source material.

Filth, possibly the worst example of it.

To me Jaws has the biggest difference between book and movie. Great movie but was lightened up a bit. The movie could have been darker and better.
Hooper was with Brody’s wife in the book. Hooper dies in the cage. The mayor opens the beaches because of mafia pressure with shady real estate deals. Of course the shark sucumbs to injuries in the book- not blown up.