Film Movies and Shows That Completely Missed The Point of the Source Material

The show is great, though.

Another recent example is Ready Player One. Turned a great, geeky novel with themes about how climate change, social media, VR etc. could affect the future world and completely ignored it all in favour of a childish, PG-13 CGI fest romp.

The show is absolutely phenomenal.

Watchmen. Completely misses the point of the text.
How so? Other than the replacement of the tentacled Lovecraft monster with a more practical plot device,toning doen of the sexual fetishisation (Alan can't help himself) and the Rorschach shrink not collapsing under the weight of the nihilism it seemed reasonably faithful in general direction to me.

The movie Doom. I never played doom growing up till I got the last 2 games. Looking back at that movie which I do somewhat enjoy. But what the hell are they thinking when they made the movie. The whole point is that your some badass dude killing demons in hell. Very very easy premise. Yet they completely missed the whole point. They obviously never looked up the game or any research. They must have just seen the name and thought “oh that’s a cool title for a movie That have nothing to do with it”. It’s like they D&D’ed it. Only not as bad.
If you knew there was a new Doom movie, you'd appreciate the old one a lot more. :lol:

Do you remember what you found right wing about it?

I didn't read the book until I saw the movie and was very confued as to why I was having the opposite reaction of what I felt like the movie was trying to make me have.

Especially when I saw the director openly saying it's about fascism and how "war makes fascist of us all", meawhile I felt like mankind in the movie was simply fighting a defensive war that they had in no way prepared for or sought.
I remember it, and admittedly it's been 30 years, as a commentary in part on the collapse of human morality driven by those damned pesky kids and triumphing militaristic society as a solution to that (specifically that you need to fight physically to maintain values) , but I may misremember. I'll read it again.

The remake of Robocop completely missed any of the point of the original iirc.

TBF though that's very nearly literally like comparing a scholarly paper to a high-schooler/caf-poster who's seen some youtube videos using their dad's money to hire another high-schooler/caf-poster who made a decent highlight video once to make their own youtube video on the subject.

On second thought, you're right it's not fair.

I've heard from a few people who have read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas that the film doesn't really capture the message of the book well. When I watched it the first time it was just a funny movie about some two crazy dudes getting fecked up. After hearing the book had a deeper message about how the drugs Hunter took allowed him to see the truth behind the Vegas facade, I watched it again. Whilst I could see that attempts had been made to convey that point, it remained just a funny movie about 2 dudes getting fecked up. Love it though.

World War Z was a terrible zombie movie which was supposed to be based on the surprisingly well written book of the same name. They did such a terrible job of adapting it, they had to reshoot and rewrite it so much that nothing was left of the source material except the title.
It should have been a tv show, it would have pissed all over the walking dead.
Totally agree with this, read the book when it came out and it is basically an almost finished tv script. No idea what they were thinking with the awful film.

An underwhelming film, despite a great cast (Fred Astaire, Melvyn Douglas, Douglas Fairbanks Jr., John Houseman, Alice Krige etc) of Peter Straub's novel Ghost Story. The book, in my view, is the greatest modern supernatural tale; not only because of its particular theme but also because it references and embodies everything from tribal myth and campfire tales to classic Horror literature and cinema.

I'm sure there are better, and better written, Horror novels out there - as I'm far from being any kind of expert - but, for me, Ghost Story is the greatest & the movie fails its source.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Story_(1981_film)

Loved the book when it came out but a dog of a film. Truly terrible.

Also the ridiculous "faith in the Lord" will save the day crap at the end. It's dreadful.

Speaking of Will Smith adaptations, "I, Robot" is almost as bad.

Apart from the title and a mention of three three laws it is nothing to do the book.

Hitchikers Guide To The Galaxy. It seemed like a film made by committee where each member had only had a single different chapter described to them over dinner.

I seem to remember quite a lot of differences in The Shining - was a very long time ago I read that though.
I don't know if it "missed the point" but it definitely went in a different direction to the book, and it turned out King hated the adaptation... Even though it's actually probably the best film adaptation of his work and elevates the source material, thanks to a genius director and some inspired performances.
Also the ridiculous "faith in the Lord" will save the day crap at the end. It's dreadful.

Speaking of Will Smith adaptations, "I, Robot" is almost as bad.
Yeah I Robot was just poor, badly written action sci-fi coasting on Will Smith's fame back when he was considered cool (sad times).
World War Z was a terrible zombie movie which was supposed to be based on the surprisingly well written book of the same name. They did such a terrible job of adapting it, they had to reshoot and rewrite it so much that nothing was left of the source material except the title.
It should have been a tv show, it would have pissed all over the walking dead.
I feel the same way - had the adaptation come a decade later, they might have considered to make a TV show out of it, which would have worked much better. The strength of the book was the diversity of point of views, which of course completely disappeared with Pitt as the main protagonist.
"The Golden Compass" movie adaptation, whilst looking great, utterly missed the point of the books. I suspect this was deliberate however: removing the intellectual weight and controversy to appeal to the studio's idea of what we idiots want.
Mainly took out all the sociological/religious aspects and criticism, probably to avoid any controversy in the US. Very poor adaptation despite looking good and being well cast. The TV show though is not bad at all, and hasn't avoided the more adult themes of the books.
Biggest one for me has to be Starship Troopers. The book is a serious political thought experiment on how a global society could be organized, while the adaption completely misses the point and thinks it's a satire on fascism.

And even then it fails to portray anything fascistic in the movie - except for the fact that some humans wear what looks like SS uniforms, which just seems like a joke considering that they aren't really doing anything remotely sinister.
The book for me is militaristic propaganda, which the film brilliantly makes a satire of. I feel Verhoeven has often been misunderstood (not so much on this forum usually, where I feel people got the subversive approach he went for), and Starship Troopers is one of the best examples of this.
Watchmen. Completely misses the point of the text.
Came here ot post this, completely missed the point Moore was making about vigilantism and other themes.
How so? Other than the replacement of the tentacled Lovecraft monster with a more practical plot device,toning doen of the sexual fetishisation (Alan can't help himself) and the Rorschach shrink not collapsing under the weight of the nihilism it seemed reasonably faithful in general direction to me.
There is a big political subtext running through the graphic novel, and notably a criticism of fascism, which Zack Snyder just didn't get (I'm pretty sure he didn't even understand it from the book and just thought "wow this is cool"). Rohrschach for example was never meant to be a hero, where the film made him cool and badass - perfect example of the adaptation missing the point. Thankfully, Lindelof's adaptation for HBO hit a lot closer to what Moore was originally saying.

The Firm (starring Tom Cruise). Was terrible compared to the Grisham novel, which was very good imo.

The American Red Dwarf completely missed the point of the characters and humour. I mean even the actor who played Lister in their version said:

"Bierko said he was a big fan of Red Dwarf and described the original British series as "ridiculously brilliant, revered", and that "America crapped on it", in his own words. Bierko also said that he himself was wrongly cast, as Lister should have been a John Belushi type character, and not a rugged Han Solo type. "

The pilots were never officially released but are available online.

Bourne identify. Well the whole trilogy...

To be honest, it starts off the same. Then goes off completely on a tangent and barely has any resemblance to the novels, aside from the odd name thrown in there.

Came here ot post this, completely missed the point Moore was making about vigilantism and other themes.

There is a big political subtext running through the graphic novel, and notably a criticism of fascism, which Zack Snyder just didn't get (I'm pretty sure he didn't even understand it from the book and just thought "wow this is cool"). Rohrschach for example was never meant to be a hero, where the film made him cool and badass - perfect example of the adaptation missing the point. Thankfully, Lindelof's adaptation for HBO hit a lot closer to what Moore was originally saying.

This is quite surprising to me.

Now, I will admit that I've only seen the film once and a few years ago now but I am very familiar with the comics indeed (although it's not my favourite Moore comic). I recall the political element having surprisingly survived particularly around American interventionist policy, hysteria over crime and the "who watches the Watchmen" anti fascist angle but perhaps I was transferring my book knowledge into the viewing. The Comedian is, if I recall, still very much The Comedian (they kept the Vietnam pregnant girlfriend element didn't they?). Manhattan is still an exploited walking metaphor. The Silk Spectre is still raped. The vigilantes are still, almost to a man, pretty awful people.

Rorschach is a horrendous, disturbing and traumatised character but there are scenes with him in the comics that are "badass". He fecks up the crimelord and his goons singlehandedly when he comes to take revenge, he utterly screws up the convict who tried to chiv him by melting his face, etc, etc. I don't remember the film deviating from this much other than the toning down of the meetings with Dr. Long and particularly the descent into the depths of Rorschach's nightmare psyche. I don't remember it as being as deep a psychological investigation but I remember all the key beats being there.

Zack Snyder has unleashed some abominations into the cinema but I really don't recall Watchmen being one of those. I fancied rewatching it actually and will do so and see if I still feel the same but at the time, if anything, I thought the adaptation was a little lifeless because it so slavishly followed the original.

Nah. Sonic was ok. Mortal Kombat was ridiculous but entertaining. Prince of Persia was decent if I remember correctly...

But generally you are right.
Ah Mortal Kombat was awesome true. Actually, I also liked Street Fighter the movie when I was a kid. Havent seen sonic, but I imagine it's animated and that's not my cup of tea.

Ah Mortal Kombat was awesome true. Actually, I also liked Street Fighter the movie when I was a kid. Havent seen sonic, but I imagine it's animated and that's not my cup of tea.
Oh yeah how can I forget Street Fighter! So bad that is good!

Sonic isn't animated. It's CGI mixed with live action and has Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnic!

The Hannibal TV show was amusingly tone-deaf wrt to the messages of Silence of the Lambs and its namesake novel.
Yep. I think we often forget how excellent both were.

The tv show: I ended up watching it mostly for Gillian Anderson's astonishing performance as Bedelia; a 'vampire' of the greatest elegance and cold, frightening passions.

EDIT: A neat little thread highlighting some of the small but good things in SotL ~

Last edited:
In the book

The story is flipped on it's head a bit, the main character (Will Smith in the film) is essentially the bad guy and the monsters are basically scared of him. He gets captured by them and then realises they he is infact the bad guy all along as the monsters are the new race so throughout you think he's the hero and it ends up he's actually not and is doing harm to them. I think it was the original ending to the film as well but they changed it cos it's not Hollywood enough. Shame really cos it is a good twist.

Wtf? That sounds way better! Hate Hollywood endings, they're all the feckin same.

In the book

The story is flipped on it's head a bit, the main character (Will Smith in the film) is essentially the bad guy and the monsters are basically scared of him. He gets captured by them and then realises they he is infact the bad guy all along as the monsters are the new race so throughout you think he's the hero and it ends up he's actually not and is doing harm to them. I think it was the original ending to the film as well but they changed it cos it's not Hollywood enough. Shame really cos it is a good twist.
Geez! Literally would not have seen that coming - especially considering how the monsters are portrayed in the movie!

Watching this again as an adult I was surprised by how easily I was taken in by the simple action story when I was about thirteen. The society in the film is dripping with overtly bizarre militarism and Nazi style propaganda. The success of militaristic dictatorship over democracy was even one of the lessons in school at the beginning of the movie.

The book for me is militaristic propaganda, which the film brilliantly makes a satire of. I feel Verhoeven has often been misunderstood (not so much on this forum usually, where I feel people got the subversive approach he went for), and Starship Troopers is one of the best examples of this.

The movie is unwillingly deceptive, because the visuals don't match the content at all.

I don't think it's undemocratic and fascist in any way. Suffrage is based on service, kind of like a Roman republicanism. But they state specifically in the book that it's completely voluntary, and that anyone can serve no matter their physical abilities, because it's about personal sacrifice and service, which someone in a wheelchair can do as well as anyone else, because the service will always match the person's abilities.

The whole point of the new regime is that it has a built in safety mechanism against some of the flaws of democracy - populism and tyranny of the masses. Anyone can get to vote and be in government, but it requires a personal investment which gives everyone who serve an incentive to protect the system. This is contrasted with the failure of the previous regime, liberal democracy, which failed because it became a sort of intellectualized technocracy.

And it's certainly not militaristic propaganda. If anything it's comically transparent, look at how they show the horrors of battle and war live on TV. Would be the worst propaganda campaign of all time. The teacher lecturing on the theory of violence and political power is missing and arm, and the essense of what he's saying is just a stripped down version of the theory of monopoly of violence, which is essensial in every democracy.

Whether it in reality would have worked without becoming instantly corrupted though...

The Sum of al Fears: One of my favorite Clancy novels. But they change the villains to be politically correct and it screws up the story. Then they cast Ben Affleck who is over a decade younger than Jack Ryan in the books. Missed opportunity...

Biggest one for me has to be Starship Troopers. The book is a serious political thought experiment on how a global society could be organized, while the adaption completely misses the point and thinks it's a satire on fascism.

And even then it fails to portray anything fascistic in the movie - except for the fact that some humans wear what looks like SS uniforms, which just seems like a joke considering that they aren't really doing anything remotely sinister.
The movie only really borrows names and minor details from the book. It's based on an entirely different script that (after the studio secured the rights to Starship Troopers) got a quick makeover. I can also assure you no one thought the book was meant to be satire. The satirizing of the ideas put forth by the book was entirely intentional, even if the movie wasn't a direct adaption.

There are also far more portrayals of fascism than simply uniforms. There's also the general imagery, iconography and architecture. The opening scene is a shot-for-shot copy of a scene from Triumph of the Will, a Nazi propaganda film by Leni Riefenstahl. The human society in the movie is a heavily militaristic one-party state, where only veterans are considered citizens and allowed to vote. Media is state-controlled, and send out propagandistic newscasts that glorify and emphasizes the necessity of war. All of this is accepted by the characters in the movie, who frequently regurgitate that same propaganda. There's a lot more, but hopefully you get the point.

Agree.

The genius of Verhoeven is that he didn't just make a satirical movie about fascism but produced a film that would be made in a fascist society. He is almost making fascist propaganda in order to really question the audience. Verhoeven - "I tried to seduce the audience into joining (Starship Troopers)society but then ask, what are we really joining up for."

Brilliant director.

I seem to remember quite a lot of differences in The Shining - was a very long time ago I read that though.
I was about to say this. King hated the film, thought it completley misrepresented the book

I was about to say this. King hated the film, thought it completley misrepresented the book

I did like the film but you can't help feeling jarred by the differences after reading the book. Happens in just about all his films to be fair - even in Misery the difference in causing him the injury didn't sit well with me just because it shocked me so much in the book.

In the book

Seriously?

That is a very good writing. Love to see that. The actual film is good, but that will make it triple better! But then mixing both doesn't seem to make sense... so maybe another alternate movie?

The trouble with an excellent twist like that is me being unable to forget the 'Are we the baddies?' thing. :D

Wtf? That sounds way better! Hate Hollywood endings, they're all the feckin same.
Geez! Literally would not have seen that coming - especially considering how the monsters are portrayed in the movie!
Seriously?

That is a very good writing. Love to see that. The actual film is good, but that will make it triple better! But then mixing both doesn't seem to make sense... so maybe another alternate movie?

They filmed a similar ending to the book originally but when they tested it on people they weren't that keen apparently so they changed it.