Music Most Underrated Bands/Artists

New Young Pony Club
Dan le Sac vs Scroobius Pip
Lightspeed Champion
CSS

Lightspeed Champion is a good shout. Dev is a legend.

Lightspeed Champion is a good shout. Dev is a legend.

I read an article somewhere that said he's essentially broke because he's a shite businessman has no one to represent him.

Apparantley he did a lot of the writing for Florence + The Machine's 'Lungs' but never recieved any credit or much money in return because he just agrees to whatever's offered.

He's in it for the music. I met him at Oxegen two years back and he was camping in a tent, no VIP passes or any of that shite. He was there to play and then enjoy the music like everyone else. Top bloke.

Listening to Midnight Surpirse. Forgotten classic.

Clinic - hardly ever hear a mention of them (they seem to have gone off the boil a bit in recent years though):

Athlete
Delphic
Feeder
Mae
The xx

Mumford and sons

How can any band who have already developed a large following and had international press & TV exposure after releasing just one album be "underrated"? Delphic and Munford & Sons have had top ten albums, the later going platinum. The xx have a gold selling album. It's fair to say these bands are all highly "rated" by many thousands of people.

Athlete are shit by the way (but still sold half a million albums, so they are clearly rated by many despite this). Feeder again have sold over 1 million albums, despite being not particularly brilliant. If anything they are over-rated.

MBV are not underrated. Loveless is normally considered one of the best records of all time.

Interpol.

I also would've said Elbow but they've started to get some recognitions of late.

When I originally heard Interpol I was very impressed. I genuinely like some of their music, but then I began to notice that they have a tendency to repeat licks and riffs. One thing that really stood out to me was the vocal melody repetitions in different songs. I felt that was a negative factor to a band that are quite talented

When I originally heard Interpol I was very impressed. I genuinely like some of their music, but then I began to notice that they have a tendency to repeat licks and riffs. One thing that really stood out to me was the vocal melody repetitions in different songs. I felt that was a negative factor to a band that are quite talented

Interpol had 2 good albums (the first in particular) but haven't been interesting for a while.

I still think Spencer Krug (Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown, Swan Lake) and Dan Broeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs, Atlas Stategic) are making some of the best music around at the moment yet aren't particularly well known.

The Walkmen are one of the best bands around as well.

Interpol had 2 good albums (the first in particular) but haven't been interesting for a while.

I still think Spencer Krug (Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown, Swan Lake) and Dan Broeckner (Wolf Parade, Handsome Furs, Atlas Stategic) are making some of the best music around at the moment yet aren't particularly well known.

The Walkmen are one of the best bands around as well.

I saw The Walkmen when I lived in Houston. They were ok but I felt the lead singer was trying too hard to be Tom Waits. Maybe they've changed up a bit since I saw them. Mind you, I had just come back from Mexico and was violently ill that night. I went solely because I really wanted to see them but I was way off form so.....

Flying Lotus

Good call.

I had heard of the minor cult around Devin Townsend but listened to a couple of tracks and didn’t much enjoy them. Recently this popped up in my recommendations.

I was pretty blown away by his vocal abilities. He has a 5 octave vocal range, is technically brilliant and is completely emotionally invested in his performance. He’s also a very competent instrumentalist and skilled producer. This is a great video explaining some of his production techniques. It also highlights the some of the complexities of the discipline, which is probably under appreciated in itself.

I’d also add Gary Moore. Highly regarded among musicians within his discipline but largely unknown by the general public. His style really blended the emotional resonance of the Les Paul - Marshall setup up with his ‘right note’/shred style. I love how the purity of the high resister notes break into distortion. It’s a beautiful contrast. His vibrato technique is among the best (yes, he does make a mistake). He puts himself on the line with only a 3 piece band too.

Perhaps with so many views he isn’t as under-appreciated as Devin but the likes of Clapton and Page are much more revered.

Good call.

I had heard of the minor cult around Devin Townsend but listened to a couple of tracks and didn’t much enjoy them. Recently this popped up in my recommendations.

I was pretty blown away by his vocal abilities. He has a 5 octave vocal range, is technically brilliant and is completely emotionally invested in his performance. He’s also a very competent instrumentalist and skilled producer. This is a great video explaining some of his production techniques. It also highlights the some of the complexities of the discipline, which is probably under appreciated in itself.

This. Been listening to him for 20 years and even now people still know him only by his cooperation with Steve Vai.