Most overrated ex Manchester United players

Scottynaldinho

My list goes like this:
1: Nani - you'd think he was the second coming of Cristiano)

2: Ander Herrera - again, when you read about him now you'd see the description of Roy Keane)

3: Zlatan - only the number of goals is mentioned without the mention of inconsistency and how detrimental he was to our attack

4: Valencia - A bit harsh here but he only had a couple of good seasons and then the mix of average/bad seasons

5: Gary Neville - A brilliant player and won everything just not at the same level as others in the class of 92

Scholes. Not as good as Keane and not always trusted by Fergie. Fantastic player but the fact that he's been mentioned in the 'top 25 players since 2002' thread shows how his legend has grown.

For balance, I'm the same on Xabi Alonso for us....very overrated.

Remove Valencia and it's spot on.

Although I don't agree with the brilliant reference.

My list goes like this:

2: Ander Herrera - again, when you read about him now you'd see the description of Roy Keane)

3: Zlatan - only the number of goals is mentioned without the mention of inconsistency and how detrimental he was to our attack

4: Valencia - A bit harsh here but he only had a couple of good seasons and then the mix of average/bad seasons

5: Gary Neville - A brilliant player and won everything just not at the same level as others in the class of 92

Agree with first 3. Don’t think anyone really glorifies Valencia but agree with your assessment.

With Gary, again, don’t think anyone over glorifies him. If anything, he’s a bit underrated.

There was a period where Valencia got nothing but shat on by the supporters.

So I would go the opposite, thought he was a very,very good player.

My list goes like this:

This list is so wrong on so many levels. Have you watched them play?

In my decades of watching football I have never seen a player getting so much attention and praise that Pogba got. I always wonder on what grounds. One of most overrated ever in our shirt. If not the most.

Whilst Stam was incredible, I always thought a lot of his legend is somewhat tied up in what could have been had he stuck around.

Granted, I was 7 when he signed for us so maybe not the best judge.

Romero
Neville - Jones - Varane - Heinze
Mata - Butt - Pogba - Welbeck
Zlatan - Chicharito

Bench: Henderson, Fosu Mensah, Tuanzebe, Valencia, Ince, Hargreaves, Martial​

A bit odd to have this kind of topic at a united forum. These are all good servers for the club.

Berbatov - nice player when it suited him but the very definition of a needless luxury when our team was full of grafters

Scholes. Not as good as Keane and not always trusted by Fergie. Fantastic player but the fact that he's been mentioned in the 'top 25 players since 2002' thread shows how his legend has grown.

Don't be such a silly sausage

This list is so wrong on so many levels. Have you watched them play?

In my decades of watching football I have never seen a player getting so much attention and praise that Pogba got. I always wonder on what grounds. One of most overrated ever in our shirt. If not the most.
It's about how the ex players are remembered now.

Even if it was about at their time at the club Pogba would be way down on the list. We had people creaming over Cleverly (was even likened to Iniesta) and Welbeck ffs.

Berbatov - nice player when it suited him but the very definition of a needless luxury when our team was full of grafters
Yeh he’s the best shout in the thread so far.

I’d add Rafael. He was never anything special just has lots of energy. Rashford would be up there for me, nowhere near the ability to match the hype. Lukaku, because some people act like he was decent when he was easily one of the worst players I’ve seen put on a Utd shirt. De Gea in his final years after he dropped off a cliff.

My list goes like this:

Neville is the best RB of the PL era, the only reason people don't acknowledge this is because he underrates himself so much.

Welbeck. Some absolute weirdos on here are still convinced that he could have been brilliant for us.

I remember it well. The media angle was absolutely hilarious and some actually bought into it. I remember one outlet run with "we sold our soul" and all of a sudden - just because we sold him to Arsenal - all of the media decided he was actually great, having barely mentioned him when he was here.
I vaguely remember Phelan and Scholes coming out with stuff like this when the club moved Welbeck on.

Scholes and Keane where different players. And get a grip. Not trusted by Fergie? Called him to came from retirement.
0/10 for trolling.
Wish I am mod. I am sick of opo newbies.

Here’s a controversial one

Nistelrooy

Great striker but was he ever part of a great team? Perhaps too one dimensional.

Granted he was quality but perhaps overrated by Utd supporters - I wouldn’t have him in Top 5 premiership forwards for example

My list goes like this:

You could have picked so many players…

This list is mad.

1. Nani was always rated as world class talent with frustrating consistency. His best season was in the same season as Bales best PL season and Nani was close to unplayable at times.

2. Nobody overrated him I don’t think? Just a solid midfielder that was right player at wrong time.

3. We got a higher level of performance from him than most expected. He was one of our best players that season.

4. As with Herrera, we didn’t go full Scouse on it and have consensus that he was the second coming or Ronaldo. He was solid and a good servant.

5. He’s the best right back the club has ever had. He’s also the best right back the PL has had : in terms of ability, consistency, application and longevity. TAA blows him away going forward. Walker was more athletic. Lauren was ridiculous for 18 months. Ivanovic was solid in a low block. But Neville was the perfect blend of all of them.

there are better targets. Loads of them.

De Gea.
Was never the best in the world. He was an outstanding shot stopper with amazing reflexes, but never came off line, was bullied easily, poor with his feet and didn't organise his defence.

Agree on Herrera; a decent enough midfielder but players like him are ten a penny.