Mo Salah | Choccy: He gone | Choccy gone, Choccy wrong | beIN sports: Agrees to Al Ittihad's offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he fetches us £215m aged 31 we would be mad to turn it down. Together with our other funds available we could further strengthen the squad in all positions of need and gear up to be competitive for the next five years.

Surely you'd have needed this at the start of the window? Selling him now completely alters your prospects for this season imo. And every selling club will be adding a Salah-fund tax on future deals.

Hope they hold him, he sulks all season, then the fee drops off a cliff in the summer.
We do not want another Coutinho situation fuelling them to glory.
He isn't dropping and Liverpool knows it. He will fetch very similar fees next year. He is the epitome of what Saudi wants, in every sense.

Yeah, absolutely sucks :lol:

Like everything that could possibly go wrong, has gone wrong - even trying to raise some funds through sales to Saudi.
It does feel to me like the football world treats us as total outsiders. Almost like the kid no one wants to play with. Is that because they don’t want us on the scene because we’re so big? Or because the people at the club are a nightmare to deal with?

Surely you'd have needed this at the start of the window? Selling him now completely alters your prospects for this season imo. And every selling club will be adding a Salah-fund tax on future deals.
Obviously it's not great timing for Liverpool but on the other hand:
  • 215m is so significant that they could completely dominate next summer's market, spending 350m or more, which is huge even including the inevitable Salah tax
  • It's probably a top 5 this year, plus a realistic tilt at the Europa League, so there's a decent chance they could still get into next season's CL.
  • They probably have enough goalscoring depth to get them through to January where they could start spending that money.
My guess is they'll plan to accept 150m next summer and already have deals in place for Salah's replacement well before then.

Like everything that could possibly go wrong, has gone wrong - even trying to raise some funds through sales to Saudi.
Are there any decent Arab players out there we can buy, increase profile and then sell to KSA for £100m?

Surely even Amrabat would fetch a cool 60m now

I hope they sell him, 170m still won't guarantee a goalscorer like him next season, and they'll lose a major source of goals for this season. They're going to get a wad of cash either way in the next couple of years for him, we need all the help we can get from teams around us to get top 5.

Think the bolded bit will still be manageable. Everyone knows City has unlimited funds for example and they still manage to do some good deals. Always expensive sure but not over the top.

And I don't think it alters our season at all to be honest that's why I'm not that bothered about losing him now. We're not in the CL and no one really cares about the Europe League unless you make it to the semis and onwards. With or without Salah I still think City is nailed on for another title, and with or without Salah I think we have enough cover and quality to comfortably finish inside the top 4, so actually it's a great "transitional" season to sell him at this ridiculous price.

That's my feeling about it at least. I recognize that it would be totally different if someone thinks we're title contenders with him and wouldn't be without him, then I'd say your stance is quite clear that he's not for sale at this point.

As soon as we sell him Diaz, Jota and Nunez will get injured and we'll be playing with Elliot and Gakpo as our strikers.

It does feel to me like the football world treats us as total outsiders. Almost like the kid no one wants to play with. Is that because they don’t want us on the scene because we’re so big? Or because the people at the club are a nightmare to deal with?

With tinfoil hat on, I wonder whether it’s something to do with links to Qatar (which may be much closer than is publicly known currently)… I’m not a geopolitic expert by any means but I’m fairly sure Saudi and Qatar are not on the best of terms. Meanwhile Chelsea has links to Saudi through their complex ownership and pawned off Mendy and Kouilbaly for a combined £35m. City got £55m for Laporte and Mahrez and UAE/Saudi relations are good.

You’d think a Saudi team signing someone who plays for a team with such high status as United would grab peoples attention to tune into watching Saudi club football, which is what they want.

If he fetches us £215m aged 31 we would be mad to turn it down. Together with our other funds available we could further strengthen the squad in all positions of need and gear up to be competitive for the next five years.
I think this year I would turn it down - it basically ruins any chance of you being competitive. It's not like you're skint since you have a lot of leeway with FFP.

Next year though? Even £150m would be an offer to take. He'd be 32, the decline would be coming sooner rather than later and he does rely on his physique.

The problem you will face is the market for RWs is incredibly dry.

Neither the sale has gone through nor got any money from the Saudi league meanwhile potentially losing 3 assets(Greenwood,Antony,Sancho) worth more than £200m for nothing on top of being skint. You just can’t make this up. Honestly.

So Liverpool pawn off three players over 30 on huge wages for a combined £300M? Investigation please ;)

Would mean feck all if they just went and met the release clause. Like they did for the Hungarian kid. How the heck did Liverpool get a free run at him?

It feels like we're the only club not to benefit from the Saudi influx of cash :rolleyes:

Don't suppose they're interested in Sancho?

It's the fans. clearly.

It feels like we're the only club not to benefit from the Saudi influx of cash :rolleyes:

Don't suppose they're interested in Sancho?

The only player of a certain age and of a certain quality that we could shift to Saudi for big money would be Casemiro. We'd get back every cent that we paid, I'm certain.

I'd guess it's a combination of decades of underperformance with expensive squads (we've always been top or close to the top in world football in terms of spend (gross & net) and wage bill) and generally being quite clueless at the top in terms of football strategy - i don't think there was one singular chairman/DoF who would have "respected" doing business with Woodward outside of seeing a cash cow to milk when we came knocking.

Are there any decent Arab players out there we can buy, increase profile and then sell to KSA for £100m?

Surely even Amrabat would fetch a cool 60m now
Aye, unfortunately Salah is the highest profile muslim playing right now (unless i'm forgetting anyone - Pogba perhaps?) with the added bonus of being Arab as well. He happens to be just about in (albeit nearing the end of) his prime as well. Bloody scousers. I guess you make your own luck. FFS.

Neither the sale has gone through nor got any money from the Saudi league meanwhile potentially losing 3 assets(Greenwood,Antony,Sancho) worth more than £200m for nothing on top of being skint. You just can’t make this up. Honestly.
Plus not being able to shift players like Maguire, DvB & McT (plus Bailly! other than a free!) to raise funds to sign more suitable players!

As above, this is what decades of mismanagement results in. The "we're too big to fail" mentality rings partially true but there are no such things as infinite do-overs. Most clubs have caught up to us/even surpassed us on (and in some cases off!) the field.

I have a feeling the Saudi club would pay a world record £250m for the 31 years old Salah and Liverpool’s owners take the money and sell Salah. What would be Liverpool’s transfer budget for next summer.

Truly hope Liverpool don't sell him. He's their best player, but even with him they finished 5th last season, and they were lucky to get that.

They've bought wisely more often than not, and if they get £200M it could revamp them and make them a force for years to come. I'd much rather them hold onto a very good player, but one that's going to decline to some extent in the next couple of years, on a massive contract.

Truly hope Liverpool don't sell him. He's their best player, but even with him they finished 5th last season, and they were lucky to get that.

They've bought wisely more often than not, and if they get £200M it could revamp them and make them a force for years to come. I'd much rather them hold onto a very good player, but one that's going to decline to some extent in the next couple of years, on a massive contract.

It's pretty obvious that they will cash in on him and sell him to Saudi Arabia at some point.

If not now they will have no shortage of offers in the summer. He's one of the most famous people in the arabic world, the interest isn't going to go away.

It's pretty obvious that they will cash in on him and sell him to Saudi Arabia at some point.

If not now they will have no shortage of offers in the summer. He's one of the most famous people in the arabic world, the interest isn't going to go away.

Depends if he wants to go or not. We don't really know, do we? I heard 'reports' that he did but not from anyone that could definitvely say. The club themselves say he doesn't want to go.

Even if he does want to go now, he might not want to in twelve months or two years time. And of course, the amount of money he'll go for should lessen the older and closer to the end of his contract he gets. Also in a year, two years time Klopp might have left, or will be closer to leaving.

There's loads of reasons not to want him to go right now, regardless of future possibilities.

They would be insane to not sell him at the reported price.

They will need to fund the remainder of their rebuild and although Salah is still putting up the (lower) numbers I think his overall game has dipped significantly as he has aged.

Even though I don't watch every game I can't remember the last time he's beat a full back for pace and even Dan Burn outpaced him in the last Newcastle vs Liverpool game.

I don't think Liverpool will ever reach that high 90 point level again (they got there through judgement and luck IMO) and that sort of fee can at least go a long way in solidifying them as a top 4 team (if they invest wisely).

I've found a lot of you Utd posters really hold firmly to this notion. I guess you need something after going a decade PL-less. Using our previous season as our de facto.

Back to Salah, £250m would be my bar. Can't argue with that sort of money regardless of not buying a replacement straight away.

Liverpool should turn down the offer just to see how high the Saudis are willing to go. At this rate they'll get a 300 million offer soon.

I reckon Klopp has told the owners he’d walk if they sell Salah. No way they should be turning down 200mil otherwise

I've found a lot of you Utd posters really hold firmly to this notion. I guess you need something after going a decade PL-less. Using our previous season as our de facto.

Back to Salah, £250m would be my bar. Can't argue with that sort of money regardless of not buying a replacement straight away.

Such a pointless, childish snipe. Why even be on here if you can't cope with anyone saying anything slightly negative about your team on a forum where everyone hates your team?

I said you were lucky to get that because for the vast majority of the season, you were floating between 10th and 8th. You had a good run of form at the end of the season that took you up to 5th but it doesn't really change the fact that two thirds of your season were a horror story, especially by recent standards.

And yes, last season's form is more of a guide to what might happen this season than two/three/four seasons ago because obviously it is.

Tell them its not enough money now and the window is closed...but you are happy to talk in Jan.

By which time the league will be over with City out of reach.

Take the 200m then and try to finish 4th.

Spend it all next summer.

I think it’s because the world knows that all enquiries to our club take a minimum of 18 months before you get a response if you are lucky enough to even get one.

If they turn down £215m, I think they would have made a mistake. That money could be transformational to Liverpool over next two seasons or so. They match that with £100/120m, they can get in five, top, top players.

This will be Salah's last seasoon anyway by all accounts... cash in. I doubt if Pool' were looking to win it this season. But this is significant, PSG type money. Take it. Liverpool will still be around long after Salah. Shake hands, celebrate his time at the club and then move on. In many, many ways, this makes sense for the Pool'.

And yes, last season's form is more of a guide to what might happen this season than two/three/four seasons ago because obviously it is.
By that reasoning, last season's form after the World Cup is more of a guide to what might happen this season as well rather than include the entire season, certainly big enough of a reference period. So going by your own logic we'll easily make top 4, thanks.

With this money, they can replace Salah, VVD and get the DM they want.

215 would be interesting if that is the case. You would have to bank on making it to the january transfer window, and use that whole time to start lining up signings. Teams will be gunning for the money and trying to get them to overpay though. Best bet is they get a couple shrewd signings in for that january window, a super tough ask considering, then continue scouting and finding gems out there for the regular summer window next season after hopefully squeaking a top 5 finish (or whatever it is for UCL this year). Think they would do well to really focus on places like south america and try to find value there in the market. If they go there then "overpaying" essentially is just a couple million, vs "overpaying" with other EPL teams where that can mean tens of millions.

215 would be interesting if that is the case. You would have to bank on making it to the january transfer window, and use that whole time to start lining up signings. Teams will be gunning for the money and trying to get them to overpay though.
Every one knows City, PSG, Chelsea have money and they are still paying market rate for players. For EPL clubs English national £100m+, and foreign quality players £65-70m+. I don't think it will make much difference.

I reckon Klopp has told the owners he’d walk if they sell Salah. No way they should be turning down 200mil otherwise
Yes please, Klopp is the only one who can save us germans from Hansi Flick and an embarassing EC at home next year.

#SellSalah
#FreeKlopp
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.