Michael Olise | Joins Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can have him if we can have Sesko :p
We also aren't spending big money on a younger striker than Hojlund. Any striker signing will be someone cheaper to be a rotation guy. Or someone like Toney I could see, with 1 year left on his deal.

Our next big team is going to be built around Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund. Our transfer strategy should reflect that plan too, building to step up levels as those guys step up.

We just spent 72m on one last summer. It can't be a top priority again. We should look for a Joselu type of signing instead. If we head into next season with our current RW options we'll struggle for 4th.
Striker 100%

Højlund is the only one and it can’t stay that way

Dunno about the kids but really the only options are Palmer and Madueke on the RW I think? If Palmer moves central and Madueke is sold then there's no one available at RW.

I don't understand why that would happen though - are you giving up on Nkunku already? I thought the plan was Nkunku #10, Jackson CF, Palmer RW and the most obvious upgrade is Jackson to a proper WC #9.
Definitely not giving up on Nkunku and he’s probably the player I’m most excited about. Need to finally see him fit.

And Madueke was just starting to show some quality during our run-in so I don’t think he’s getting sold.

We also aren't spending big money on a younger striker than Hojlund. Any striker signing will be someone cheaper to be a rotation guy. Or someone like Toney I could see, with 1 year left on his deal.

Our next big team is going to be built around Mainoo, Garnacho and Hojlund. Our transfer strategy should reflect that plan too, building to step up levels as those guys step up.

Toney will cost Sesko money this summer.

Definitely not giving up on Nkunku and he’s probably the player I’m most excited about. Need to finally see him fit.

And Madueke was just starting to show some quality during our run-in so I don’t think he’s getting sold.

Hm, if Nkunku is the first choice #10 then I really struggle to see why you'd want Olise. He'd basically be a rotation option covering for Palmer and Nkunku at that point and Madueke gets punted to the netherworld.

Toney will cost Sesko money this summer.
He's got 1 year left on his contract and has been pushing to leave for ages while there arent going to be many in for him, he shouldn't be more than 40m. But also he'd be good for what we need him to be. Help Hojlund develop, prem ready to be a focal point, rotate and challenge each other, while staying with the plan that Hojlund is the guy. Buying sesko for big money is assuming one of the 2 is backup long term. It's not very smart to spend big on a young striker who you don't plan on being a key player long term (and by key, I mean a starting 11 player). It just doesn't happen, certainly not with the work we need to do.

Are Chelsea not going to be affected by this PSR malarkey at some point or is it just everyone else?

Are Chelsea not going to be affected by this PSR malarkey at some point or is it just everyone else?
This is where us selling a bunch of academy products for pure profit comes in apparently. Gallagher, Chalobah, Hutchinson, and Maatsen may all be sold this summer. That’s probably around £100m in sales.

He's got 1 year left on his contract and has been pushing to leave for ages while there arent going to be many in for him, he shouldn't be more than 40m. But also he'd be good for what we need him to be. Help Hojlund develop, prem ready to be a focal point, rotate and challenge each other, while staying with the plan that Hojlund is the guy. Buying sesko for big money is assuming one of the 2 is backup long term. It's not very smart to spend big on a young striker who you don't plan on being a key player long term (and by key, I mean a starting 11 player). It just doesn't happen, certainly not with the work we need to do.

Toney would not come at 28 and be a backup to Hojlund and would not be 40 million.

We just spent 72m on one last summer. It can't be a top priority again. We should look for a Joselu type of signing instead. If we head into next season with our current RW options we'll struggle for 4th.
Ye we can’t be relying on Antony and I don’t think Diallo will stay fit long enough to play crucial games. I really like Olise and the way he plays. He’s very talented but hasn’t he got injury issues himself?

Sounds like we need to sell to buy him as we have other priorities first.
Greenwood will be on his way, sancho probably be gone if ETH stays. Martials already leaving so that’s freed up a lot of wages.

Think Chelsea will sign him unless he opts to not go (reportedly) similar to what happened last year.

They are also more hurried in making decisions reflective of what's happened with the manager.

It could be a poor decision on their behalf, but the contrast with United right now is the club is still establishing the foundations in the hierarchy.

There's not a better winger in market who's got league experience that suits the team imo. You could argue Kudus but he's not as creative.

I swear 90% of Chelsea’s transfer strategy is hijacking other clubs’ transfer targets.

Chelsea were very close to signing him last summer and have been linked with him pretty much consistently the last 18 months. Whose transfer target are we stealing here?

Chelsea were very close to signing him last summer and have been linked with him pretty much consistently the last 18 months. Whose transfer target are we stealing here?
It is interesting that United has no announcement for the future of their existing head coach yet. I doubt they are targeting anyone seriously at the moment. Their sport director is still on garden leave.

It is interesting that United has no announcement for the future of their existing head coach yet. I doubt they are targeting anyone seriously at the moment. Their sport director is still on garden leave.

My gut feeling is they’re sticking with Ten Hag for next season.

I swear 90% of Chelsea’s transfer strategy is hijacking other clubs’ transfer targets.

His younger brother just signed an extension with our academy. We have hijacked some deals, but this one does not fall into that category at all.

It's a shame to see him go to that circus but he just isn't a priority signing for us right now.

It's a shame to see him go to that circus but he just isn't a priority signing for us right now.

I disagree strongly with this sentiment.

Part of the reason why we complain about no service to Hojlund is because our attack is very imbalanced. Like a lot of areas in our team, we have decent individuals but the total adds up to less than the sum of its parts. e.g., Playing Garnacho RW, Rashford LW is terrible because both are cut in and shoot merchants and cannot really find a pass / play intricate football / cross / generally don't have the skills to be a wide creator - they're both inside forwards that want to get goals. We'll again be complaining for a whole season that Hojlund gets no service if we go with Garnacho / Rashford as our Plan A.

In theory you can make Garnacho + Rashford work if we got a Jesus / Firmino type forward who excels at link up but we got Hojlund instead and he looks good enough to back so that's basically that. Recall that our best attacking football in recent times came when we had two of these cut-in + shoot merchants (Rashford and Greenwood) with a forward that excelled in link up play (Martial) and Bruno next to them.

So now what we desperately need to carry both Rashford and Hojlund in the team is a wide creator of the Saka mould. Antony is dogshit so the less said the better. That leaves Amad as the only player who can do the job on the RW. I know Amad FC is a big thing here but I don't think he's ready yet to be our starting RW player.

-------- Rashford ------ Hojlund ---- Amad -----
----------------- Mainoo ------ Bruno -----------------

I will concede that the five above is a decent, balanced unit so if you genuinely want to put all your eggs in the Amad basket then fine.

I wonder if Olise can blossom into the 30 G/A per season winger that we need. I see the potential in his game, but whether we believe that can be refined is another question.

He is certainly exciting and would be great to have Olise, Rashford, Garnacho and Diallo all rotating for the winger spots.

I wonder if Olise can blossom into the 30 G/A per season winger that we need. I see the potential in his game, but whether we believe that can be refined is another question.

He's already that with Palace (0.74 npxG+xA/90). So that's 28 G/A had he played the whole year. And those are the "expected" numbers. He's already overperforming this season and he's at 1.13 actual G+A per 90. That's like 40 goal involvements a season. And only 21 to boot so the best is yet to come.

I understand limits of extrapolation here - Palace hit form, new manager bounce etc. but he's not very far from your target either. He's one of the best wingers in the PL and available on the cheap. It'll be like the Mahrez situation all over again if we don't go for him.

I know injuries are a concern but a rotating pair of Olise / Amad with other guys like Bruno, Mount, Garnacho pitching in at RW when both are unavailable should be ok. The only problem is if Sancho comes back.

Last edited:
He cost over 100m and is fantastic with the ball at his feet. Judging him based on his poor period last season when he was playing with an injury that he needed surgery to fix perhaps isn’t wise. I don’t think there’s a chance he isn’t a starter. It was probably one of the primary mandates to Maresca to get Enzo back to his best like when he first joined. A possession based style where he is the primary user of the ball should suit him very well.

Sure I guess, just think you’ll have to do what Tuchel did with Jorginho to really accommodate him because just playing him next to Caicedo with an attacking mid ahead of them isn’t the answer

Yeah that is the problem, we have at least 4 maybe 5 priority positions ahead of this
would be typically us to sign the no.
5 priority player first for big money and realizing we can't shift the deadwoods and sign bunch of mediocre players on loan. I hope it'll be different with INEOS

would be typically us to sign the no.
5 priority player first for big money and realizing we can't shift the deadwoods and sign bunch of mediocre players on loan. I hope it'll be different with INEOS
I’ve only seen strong links to defenders so far though. Seems like a CB will be the first signing

Even at £200K a week it is the amount that CP pays their top two players. We are in the same boat with Sterling. He is unmovable. He knows nobody will ever pay him £300k a week.

Even at £200K a week it is the amount that CP pays their top two players. We are in the same boat with Sterling. He is unmovable. He knows nobody will ever pay him £300k a week.
Some Saudi club perhaps. Fortunately he's got morals.

Status
Not open for further replies.