Michael Carrick - Middlesbrough Manager

Chipper

Adulterer.
Not surprising in a way considering their history but still a nice record to have.

They joined the football league in 1899/1900 and have had 61 top flight seasons, almost all the others in the 2nd tier with just 2 seasons in the 3rd tier. So it's half their time bouncing between the top 2 leagues.

They've always been that up and down club, and have never really been big enough to have sustained periods towards the top of the top division. As Carrick hasn't yet managed them in the top-flight he hasn't coached them at a level where many of his predecessors would have struggled to keep up a good win percentage bearing in mind the size of club they are. Others would have matched him on the way up I'd imagine only to hit that wall after promotion. Those who only ever managed them in the top flight would have had their work cut out to get close to it, and those who only managed them in the 2nd tier but didn't do well there would have been fired/resigned eventually.

He's hit a nice spot to get that record, doing well but not quite well enough to be promoted.

Last edited:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Which makes you really wonder. If Carrick and Mckenna did the tactics and coaching while Matic did the discipline then what the hell did Ole do? Recruitment? Smiling at the cameras? Serving coffee to Sancho?
Apparently quite a few Premier league managers don't have much to do with the training.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Guessing he’ll have to finish in a playoff place minimum next season to avoid the sack?
If they keep on losing their best players without replacing them, they’d be dumb to sack him. Another start like this season and I’d understand it. But overall having a similar season to this one should keep him in the job.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Guessing he’ll have to finish in a playoff place minimum next season to avoid the sack?
Depends what they do in the summer. They overperformed after Carrick took over last season then they went and sold their best player and they lost others too. I don't think many people were expecting them to be a playoff team this year. In the end they did quite well to finish in the top 8.

whitbyviking

Depends what they do in the summer. They overperformed after Carrick took over last season then they went and sold their best player and they lost others too. I don't think many people were expecting them to be a playoff team this year. In the end they did quite well to finish in the top 8.
They had a brutal run with injuries too. One of the best things with Carrick Is he’s got them scoring goals. The only other time in recent ish history they’ve scored goals is when they had Juninho and Ravanelli or when they had Viduka, Hasselbaink, Yakubu and Maccarone.

Come to think of it that pair of forward lines were pretty unbelievable for them, we’d probably kill for either of them group of forwards right now :lol: Schteve Mc as the manager of that second group if I remember rightly.

city-puma

My impression is their current situation is to rectify and maintain financial sustainability. He lost senior, start players. He has many young players and also many 30+. In the next two years, probably will continue to build the team with better age profile and has an eye for promotion I guess.

Borninthe80ts

While all attention is on McKenna, and rightly so, I still think Carrick did well. Hopefully they back him next season and they can do an Ipswich.