Music Metallica

Hetfield's voice sounded great. Whenever I've seen clips over the last few years he's always seemed ropey. Seemed much more tuneful this evening, reminded me of S&M a little.

Yeah, he got asked about that recently....Said he just went into the unknown, recorded his bass lines and that was it. Didn't even think about it afterwards.

Imagine, being that innocent and easy going in a band like Metallica...Bloody hell, if I was in a band that size, our record wouldn't be released until I some God awful 10 minute guitar solo....Never mind just even hearing my instrument
Some of his lines were immense too, proper waste.

Not sure why there were doubts about Metallica. They're probably the only band I don't like but would still pay good money to see live again. They can pull off an excellent show without even trying so were a pretty safe bet, and definitely no doubt about whether they're big enough.

Glastonbury isn't supposed to be limited to types of music, and if it was the likes of Ed Sheeran would surely be much higher up on the unacceptable list than one of the greatest live bands currently around.

The line up/time slots are slightly annoying. I mean, I don't mind Arcade Fire but they're not Festival headline material for me. Especially not opening night of Glastonbury headline material. You get there all fired up and on the opening night you have...Elbow and Arcade Fire. Depression music. Then, if I was there, I'd be slightly pissed off at havng to miss Jake Bugg on the second night and Massive Attack on the third.

Was anyone at Knebworth? I went on the Sunday and Metallica were so good! One was awesome.

Was anyone at Knebworth? I went on the Sunday and Metallica were so good! One was awesome.

Same, just for Sunday. Already seen Maiden live and couldn't care less about Prodigy so not worth it. Alice in Chains i really enjoyed, but Mastodon were a bit disappointing. Never really heard any of Devin Townsend's stuff before but i was impressed with his set. Metallica killed it though.

Where abouts were you?

Same, just for Sunday. Already seen Maiden live and couldn't care less about Prodigy so not worth it. Alice in Chains i really enjoyed, but Mastodon were a bit disappointing. Never really heard any of Devin Townsend's stuff before but i was impressed with his set. Metallica killed it though.

Where abouts were you?
We were just wandering around and then when people started migrating to watch the Dropkicks we went over to get as close to Alice as possible then stayed there (missing Dreamtheater unfortunately) to be as close to Metallica as we could. Got pushed back a bit and we ended up somewhere in between the stage and the barrier. I liked Devin as well and Reel Big Fish were a laugh.

We were just wandering around and then when people started migrating to watch the Dropkicks we went over to get as close to Alice as possible then stayed there (missing Dreamtheater unfortunately) to be as close to Metallica as we could. Got pushed back a bit and we ended up somewhere in between the stage and the barrier. I liked Devin as well and Reel Big Fish were a laugh.

That's what we did, missed Dream Theater but kept our spaces. We were leaning on that barrier, pretty central as well so you must have been close. That ball kept everyone entertained well when we were waiting for them to come on i thought.

I know this is a Metallica thread but seeing as we're on the topic of Sonisphere did anyone see Deftones?

I liked their songs when I was growing up but I can't take them seriously after watching them going on about their feelings and new age shit like that in that making of the album thing. (Some Kind of Monster?)

I liked their songs when I was growing up but I can't take them seriously after watching them going on about their feelings and new age shit like that in that making of the album thing. (Some Kind of Monster?)

I watched that/listen to St Anger and can't believe it's the same band that wrote 'Blackened' and 'Disposable Heroes'. And that's from a guy that likes Load.

So St. Anger was only pretend anger?

Burton's death affected them greatly as well and Mustaine had a hand on them in the beginning.
No it was a different kind of anger, I was more on about post St Anger. Not understating Burton's death, but I think Mustaine's contributions are getting overrated by the haters.

St Anger was a terrible album but I think even the band themselves would admit that.

Went for Saturday and Sunday, Glad I only did the two days. Getting too old for this camping shit.

Went for the full four days and it turned out being probably my best ever festival. Had an amazing time, made some cool new friends and even saw some drunken guys turn a toolbox on wheels into a bobsled near where we were camped (which resulted in one guy losing some teeth). Great time.

I do agree about the age thing. I find I have less stamina to last a full day, so I've ended up seeing fewer and fewer bands every festival I go to and spend more time in the camp getting pissed. This year wasn't helped by us camping under a tree. 4 nights sleeping on tree roots - not good. Still hurting a bit now.

They sobered up.

Yeah but they were sober when they made Death Magnetic, and parts of other records. I don't even think it was a case of diminished creativity like with most bands as they get older, just in that particular period they don't even sound like the same band. The Nu-metal-ish sound, raw production, lack of solos, no snare drum...

I just wish James would get back to singing like he did on Justice. More of a reverbed bark, low in the mix. He sounds like a country singer these days.

Yeah but they were sober when they made Death Magnetic, and parts of other records. I don't even think it was a case of diminished creativity like with most bands as they get older, just in that particular period they don't even sound like the same band. The Nu-metal-ish sound, raw production, lack of solos, no snare drum...

I just wish James would get back to singing like he did on Justice. More of a reverbed bark, low in the mix. He sounds like a country singer these days.

I think his voice is far too shot for that. I believe he blew his voice a long time ago and had to take up some vocal coaching to work around it. It's also why anything pre-Load is now (well, more like for the last 15 years) performed half a step down.

The emphasised country style that he picked up probably came from Bob Rock's direction and the fact he's a big country fan himself.

I much prefer his voice post-black album, as I am in favour of actual singing when it comes to music, whatever the genre. I loved Load. (Easily my favourite album if we don't count S&M). Reload not so much but it obviously has those few hits on it. St. Anger was just a train wreck, and Death Magnetic more than made up for it, but still doesn't compare to the early stuff.

S&M for me though, is as perfect as you can get for Metallica, especially when it comes to Hetfield's voice (although, I assume is heavily post-produced).

I think his voice is far too shot for that. I believe he blew his voice a long time ago and had to take up some vocal coaching to work around it. It's also why anything pre-Load is now (well, more like for the last 15 years) performed half a step down.

The emphasised country style that he picked up probably came from Bob Rock's direction and the fact he's a big country fan himself.

I much prefer his voice post-black album, as I am in favour of actual singing when it comes to music, whatever the genre. I loved Load. (Easily my favourite album if we don't count S&M). Reload not so much but it obviously has those few hits on it. St. Anger was just a train wreck, and Death Magnetic more than made up for it, but still doesn't compare to the early stuff.

S&M for me though, is as perfect as you can get for Metallica, especially when it comes to Hetfield's voice (although, I assume is heavily post-produced).

Love Load, ReLoad as you say has its moments. It seems the reason people hate it is because it came at a time when there were many changes, cutting their hair, going all artsy, changing the logo, etc. Judged on the music alone, how someone can't appreciate 'Bleeding Me' or 'Outlaw Torn' i'll never know.

No it was a different kind of anger, I was more on about post St Anger. Not understating Burton's death, but I think Mustaine's contributions are getting overrated by the haters.
I'm not a hater. I just know what Mustaine is capable off and he is credited for a lot of songs on Kill 'em All and Ride the Lightning. He's a better guitar player and song writer than Hammett so it's not surprising that they can't come up with as much stuff without him. At least not in that similar vein of pure thrash. I'm sure Burtons' death had more affect and not just in a songwriting sort of way.

St. Anger comment was tongue in cheek. Just a bad play on words.

Apparently Cliff was the only member who really understood how to structure a song. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, for me Justice is just behind Puppets as their best ever. It does sound disjointed in places but I put that down to the progressive direction they'd continued in ever since their debut.

Puppets, Ride and Justice are sensational albums. How can you go from that to Load, ReLoad and St. Anger (Not even mentioning Lulu). I like Reload tbh, and Load is tolerable but Anger is poor, even the band have joked about it before :lol: Death Magnetic was good though, I hope the follow up will be as good. It may even be better, Lars is going through a purple patch and James' voice hasn't been this good since the 90s.

Apparently Cliff was the only member who really understood how to structure a song. Whether that's true or not I have no idea, for me Justice is just behind Puppets as their best ever. It does sound disjointed in places but I put that down to the progressive direction they'd continued in ever since their debut.
I don't think that's true. There's a lot of group input and there always has been. Cliff was probably the best songwriter though, with James being the best lyricist. Damn, Cliff would've fecking loved this summer. Actually the way they write songs is fascinating. They think of the topic, then the title, then Hetfield turns it into a song.

St Anger was a terrible album but I think even the band themselves would admit that.

Yes. Frankly, I blame the producer. If you've seen Some Kind of Monster and then the making of video of Death Magnetic (I don't remember if it had a name or not), you'll see the difference. Hammett wasn't even allowed any solos on St. Anger, for crying out loud. He had a few good ones in Death Magnetic.

Yes. Frankly, I blame the producer. If you've seen Some Kind of Monster and then the making of video of Death Magnetic (I don't remember if it had a name or not), you'll see the difference. Hammett wasn't even allowed any solos on St. Anger, for crying out loud. He had a few good ones in Death Magnetic.
Metallica without solos is like the earth without people ffs.

Blame the producer? These guys haven't done anything their whole life but create, record and play music. It's their own fault for letting the producer get his own way.

They were thrash metal musicians. That's where their best albums came from. When they abandoned that room for a more commercial approach they stuck with it after BA's success and only very recently tried to turn back. The allure of popularity and more money is often too strong. I don't blame them for leaving the metal making scene but I certainly would have expected better music from it.

Blame the producer? These guys haven't done anything their whole life but create, record and play music. It's their own fault for letting the producer get his own way.

They were thrash metal musicians. That's where their best albums came from. When they abandoned that room for a more commercial approach they stuck with it after BA's success and only very recently tried to turn back. The allure of popularity and more money is often too strong. I don't blame them for leaving the metal making scene but I certainly would have expected better music from it.

I think they did the right thing in getting Rubin in, but he could learn a thing or two from Rock about how a record should sound. Load and Reload sound great to my ears, and everything Rubin is involved with that wasn't Slayer sounds like shit. God knows who his engineers/mix guys are or whatever, but DM, Sabbath's 13, Californication...just sound compressed as hell.

Well if anyone still wonders why Jason left, just needs to read that playboy interview. They have gone full retard since.. I seen them many times in the past but the last time was back in 1991 with AC / DC. I don't want to spoil that memory with that crap that has been released since. For you who havent seen that Playboy interview here it is.

https://www.google.is/url?sa=t&sour...kQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNG90TJd0zl1fQO2L1F2rNsqwz464g

Metallica's new record "Hardwired to self destruct" is out! It's getting a lot of good reviews. It's very different from their stuff from the 80s and 90s. They are experimenting with styles different from thrash metal.

I was actually reminded of some 80s stuff, stylistically at least. Like something from ...And Justice for All...or it's just me? Quality wise, still not there though, but wasn't a bad song.

I like the one about our Lord Cthulhu. Some good riffs and licks, pretty good effort, but not entirely sure yet.

Good album. A few great songs (Dream No More and Spit Out the Bone are my favourites), lots of good ones and even the poorer ones have some damn catchy grooves.