Music Metallica

Not always a metal fan but they've been awesome. I imagine we'll be seeing more metal at Glasto in the coming years on the back of this performance.

Not always a metal fan but they've been awesome. I imagine we'll be seeing more metal at Glasto in the coming years on the back of this performance.

You don't have to be a metal fan to enjoy a bit of Metallica, I hardly listen to any heavy music since I was around 17. They're just a great band.

Really fecking good. Blew Arcade Fire last night out of the water - and that's coming from a fecking massive Arcade Fire fan.

Incredible - my favourite band.

Either James found his voice in the second half or they had sound issues

Thought they were superb throughout I thought. Killed it. Like a lot of us said on here last night, we had no doubt they would.

Don't listen to them on a regular basis, and only know their hits, but I thought they were great. They've been doing this for years, what did people expect?

Really fecking good. Blew Arcade Fire last night out of the water - and that's coming from a fecking massive Arcade Fire fan.

Don't mind Arcade Fire, but they came across as trying too hard yesterday. Can't put my finger on it.

Might just be that I was disappointed that they didn't pull Bowie out of the hat for Reflektor though.

Last edited:
A mate sent me snapchat videos of him at Glastonbury watching Metallica and asking if i was jealous. I told him yes if all they play is pre black album stuff.

That was like introducing your girlfriend to your mates.

Awkward

But I think it went down OK

Fairly tame set but to be expected.

They should have done a medley - Whiplash - Blitzkrieg - Jump in the fire - four horsemen etc - just a fast as fcuk bit to let folk know they were only half cocked for the nice folk.

They should have closed with 'So What'.

Love Arcade Fire too, but they came across as trying too hard yesterday. Can't put my finger on it.

Might just be that I was disappointed that they didn't pull Bowie out of the hat for Reflektor though.
No I agree, I think Reflektor is a great album but just doesn't do them justice live. I think they were best live around Funeral/Neon Bible. Think they just have too vast a spectrum of sounds between Funeral and Reflektor. You look at Arctic Monkeys last year they covered 5 albums but it was all the same style. Same with Metallica they covered 35 years (almost) tonight but it was always the same style which is great because you recognize it and live you get into that mood. I think sometimes Arcade Fire can try too hard to be different every album and take it too far, and live it can be stop start cause they keep changing styles of song.

My 6 year old is now a Goldfrapp fan :annoyed:

How was Robert Plant ?

Grew up with Led Zep
Very good, his age shows. Hope Led Zep do a last show or 10. Led Zep headlining Glasto would be unreal. The reaction Rock n Roll, Going To California, Whole Lotta Love etc got today - Led Zep would be one of the most memorable of all time - just hope it happens, the 3 of them are all getting on now and god knows it would be Bonham-less already.

I'm not a massive Metallica fan but I really enjoyed that set and more importantly I think it silenced a few of the doubters, metal/rock fan or not they were great.

A few things.

1. To me anyways, it's not Metallica in the full sense without Newsted....He added so much to that band live imo. And they've lost a lot without him and in my mind, it showed tonight and has done in their shows since he left.

2. Having said that, it was a great performance!!....Reminded me of U2 a few years ago...Doubted and knocked and questioned as to why they were even there, but showed that these type of artists/bands are the masters and the rest are students!

Top quality band....Even thought James and Lars are a pair of cnuts!

Bit of Trivia for you, one of James and Lars were inspired by the same band.........Status Quo!
Lars is quoted saying that when he was a kid, after seeing Quo live, he'd be at home and play drums with the radiator turned up full so he sweated like Quo drummer John Coghlan!

Sorry @.Rossi I just think Status Quo made a living off 5 chords. Not my cup of tea but I don't hate them either if that makes sense. Don't begrudge people not liking them or loving them, know a few aunties and uncles of mine do love them, but they just don't tickle me. On the plus side they don't wind me up at all, I would happily listen to Quo any day here and there, there's a lot of bands it would be torture to listen to.

Sorry @.Rossi I just think Status Quo made a living off 5 chords. Not my cup of tea but I don't hate them either if that makes sense. Don't begrudge people not liking them or loving them, know a few aunties and uncles of mine do love them, but they just don't tickle me. On the plus side they don't wind me up at all, I would happily listen to Quo any day here and there, there's a lot of bands it would be torture to listen to.

Oh I don't care particularly if anyone likes them or not. :) Music is subjective to one's taste and there never is a right or wrong answer when it comes to it :)

I just hate it when people brush Quo off as "3 chord wonders" etc when quite clearly, they're not if you get me....I'm a musician myself and their music I studied for years, along with Queen, U2, Stone Roses and ABBA believe it or not....I'm fortunate enough to make a living out of it now but, what surprised me, Queen excluded, was how simple them band's music sounded, yet was complicated to write and play

A few things.

1. To me anyways, it's not Metallica in the full sense without Newsted....He added so much to that band live imo. And they've lost a lot without him and in my mind, it showed tonight and has done in their shows since he left.

2. Having said that, it was a great performance!!....Reminded me of U2 a few years ago...Doubted and knocked and questioned as to why they were even there, but showed that these type of artists/bands are the masters and the rest are students!

Top quality band....Even thought James and Lars are a pair of cnuts!

Bit of Trivia for you, one of James and Lars were inspired by the same band.........Status Quo!
Lars is quoted saying that when he was a kid, after seeing Quo live, he'd be at home and play drums with the radiator turned up full so he sweated like Quo drummer John Coghlan!
When I was into Metallica many, many years ago...newsted was seen as pretty shit. Even though everyone loved and justice it was widely agreed that he wasn't even close to cliff burton

When I was into Metallica many, many years ago...newsted was seen as pretty shit. Even though everyone loved and justice it was widely agreed that he wasn't even close to cliff burton

With Cliff, he had a dynamic and chemistry with Kirk, James, Lars and even Dave before he was thrown out.

Jason was far from shit though and he was amazing in the band....It just that he wasn't Cliff

Oh I don't care particularly if anyone likes them or not. :) Music is subjective to one's taste and there never is a right or wrong answer when it comes to it :)

I just hate it when people brush Quo off as "3 chord wonders" etc when quite clearly, they're not if you get me....I'm a musician myself and their music I studied for years, along with Queen, U2, Stone Roses and ABBA believe it or not....I'm fortunate enough to make a living out of it now but, what surprised me, Queen excluded, was how simple them band's music sounded, yet was complicated to write and play
I can believe ABBA, what a fantastic group, often not given the credit deserved cause they fall into the "pop" bracket. ABBA are ace. Queen too are absolute legends, their music was good but their front-man...possibly the best ever? Mercury was something else.

I can believe ABBA, what a fantastic group, often not given the credit deserved cause they fall into the "pop" bracket. ABBA are ace. Queen too are absolute legends, their music was good but their front-man...possibly the best ever? Mercury was something else.

No matter who you see fronting a band or as a lead singer, no one and I mean no one, will ever beat Freddie....An absolute tragic waste and loss of a life :(

Ha I just said "believe it or not" in the case of ABBA because of the rep they have....Especially in a Metallica thread....They were another fabulous group! Never again will you hear pop songs like that. The vocals and harmonies are just amazing

No matter who you see fronting a band or as a lead singer, no one and I mean no one, will ever beat Freddie....An absolute tragic waste and loss of a life :(

Ha I just said "believe it or not" in the case of ABBA because of the rep they have....Especially in a Metallica thread....They were another fabulous group! Never again will you hear pop songs like that. The vocals and harmonies are just amazing
Ano look at us rebels bigging up ABBA in a Metallica thread :lol: Gonna listen to them now, feck it!

Nope Freddie was the king, greatest front-man of all time, no doubt.

Justice was practically bass free anyway.

Yeah, he got asked about that recently....Said he just went into the unknown, recorded his bass lines and that was it. Didn't even think about it afterwards.

Imagine, being that innocent and easy going in a band like Metallica...Bloody hell, if I was in a band that size, our record wouldn't be released until I some God awful 10 minute guitar solo....Never mind just even hearing my instrument