Music Metallica

Werewolf

The Kings of Metal are fecking back !!! :devil::devil:

Cyanide

The Day That Never Comes

Death Magnetic will be one killer album !

Glad this finally got posted. Was gonna start the thread myself last night but decided i couldn't be arsed. Both songs sound good, much better than St. Anger. To be honest, i loved Load and Justice more than alot of the other Metallica albums, so this sound is almost perfect me. Although, Load itself is my favourite, and probably always will be, with the older lot all being at a close joint second.

St Anger was kinda special. A statement from the band after all the difficult moments they have been through. I can relate to it when i'm angry...
My favorites are the 4 first albums and some of the post-Black stuff. Death Magnetic seems to take the best parts from every era (Kirk Hammett's solo for The Day That Never Comes is somewhat a greatest hit of all the previous albums bare St Anger). I'm very excited to hear their new stuff especially after the reviews mentionning some pretty thrash stuff, and some other progressive stuff, which is really good.

God bless Cliff Burton, but it's time for people to move on. There won't be a MOP2, that's for sure. But i'm very hopeful for the new Metallica which kinda has the same vibe and hunger they had back then. Just see how Hetfield headbang on the new songs...

I liked St. Anger when i first heard it, but it was one of the rare occasions that i tended to dislike the album more and more over time, where as i'm usually the opposite with alot of my favourite albums by any band, mainly progressive stuff like Dream Theater and Rush.

Some reviews have said Cyanide is the weakest song on the album, which if true, is a very good sign because i like the song. The day that never comes on the other hand, is fantastic. The intro reminds me of some of the older epic ballads mixed with James' cowboy 'feel' off of the loads. The heavy part reminds me alot of the older thrash. The arrangement of the heavy part however is a bit strange, alot of riffage there that seems thrown together, but i got used to it after a few listens. Reminds me alot of the insane endings from Dream Theater's Train Of Thought.

Can't really get into either of these atm, maybe because they're live so don't know how they're supposed to sound (vocals may be diff on album :s)

Actually, this 2nd one is sounding better now \o/ GET IN!

Can't really get into either of these atm, maybe because they're live so don't know how they're supposed to sound (vocals may be diff on album :s)

Actually, this 2nd one is sounding better now \o/ GET IN!

The actual single (the second song, studio version) is available on the metallica website, or better quality version on the myspace (which is assume is www.myspace.com/metallica but can't be bothered to check.)

That 2nd song aint on their myspaz, but their cover of Maidens Remember Tomorrow is pretty damn good \o/

Better quality version :

Very good single, reminds me of Fade to Black/One/Sanitarium and with excellent vocal lines. A great ballad with a great ending.

That 2nd song aint on their myspaz, but their cover of Maidens Remember Tomorrow is pretty damn good \o/

Ahh right. It's actually been taken down then. I listened to it about 5 times on there yesterday so i'm definately not going insane.

The video posted above though is the studio version however.

God bless Cliff Burton, but it's time for people to move on.

Yeah, I did - to better, fresh sounding more progressive metal bands. Neurosis, Isis, Jesu, Agalloch et al. These bands are so much better than Metallica are now and yet I still see young lads obsessed with a band that produced their best work over twenty years ago. Sad.

Yeah, I did - to better, fresh sounding more progressive metal bands. Neurosis, Isis, Jesu, Agalloch et al. These bands are so much better than Metallica are now and yet I still see young lads obsessed with a band that produced their best work over twenty years ago. Sad.

Metallica was and is still one of the major strikeforces on the heavy metal scene. And it's not because they don't produce anymore Battery-like songs that they are finished. The band has been through a lot of difficult moments involving death, alcoholism and addiction problems and many other things. How do you want their initial hunger to be intact ?
Many people criticise the band because they have always done what they wanted to do, they would have produced 3 or 4 albums like Ride The Lightning or And Justice For All but they chose to escape the kind of categorization they were forced into, and for that i respect them a lot.
Death Magnetic is kind of a return to their initial roots while preserving what they have done in the 90's, you either like it or you don't that's how it works, the most important thing is that the band itself is comfortable with it (Unlike St Anger for example)

Ahh right. It's actually been taken down then. I listened to it about 5 times on there yesterday so i'm definately not going insane.

The video posted above though is the studio version however.

It's on their site :) Quite like this... mellow + metal, nice mix, hope the rest of album is atleast on par with this.

Just because they haven't produced material as good as they did 20 years ago (and that's not even my opinion, as i said, Load is an amazing album), doesn't erase them as band surely? People still have a right to like a band whatever age they are. I'm obsessed with Pink Floyd and Rush and i'm only 21.

Music has evolved since the 80's, producing that type of music now would not be beneficial to the band at all, even if a handful of metal heads would still enjoy it. Metallica tried and failed (very much so) with St. Anger to try and reproduce the same energy of the older albums with a mainstream sound, it seems like with this album they have at least made a decent effort at it. The newest album seems to be doing what St. Anger failed to, by managing to keep a mainstream and modern sound but at the same time appealing to the older generation of fans, from the Loads all the way back to Kill 'Em All.

And i listened to the first band mentioned and personally thought they were terrible. Although that is just my opinion.

And i listened to the first band mentioned and personally thought they were terrible. Although that is just my opinion.

:lol: Y`know, that almost sounds like the reaction old style Priest or Motorhead fans had to Metallica in 1983/4 when they first heard them. Kill `Em All at the time it was released was quite an extreme album. The problem with most metal fans is that they think they`re different, think they listen to unconventional music. And yet most modern metal is as conventional as any indie toss you could name. The amount of metal fans you hear who complain about the vocals on extreme metal bands beggars belief.

Neurosis - Nothing special about them whatsoever, singer is pretty talentless... can't hold a note properly so just shouts everything to make it sound different... songs (only listened to 2 on youtube) don't seem to fit together, like, it doesn't really get into a song, sounds more like an intro

Isis - Again.. that growling... and then some melodic singing. It's actually not too bad the song I heard, but its certainly not for average metal fans. And it's certainly not in the mould of the same type of metal as Metallica etc.

But then again, you mentioned moving on into different times. Why? If you like old Metallica, you try finding music like old metallica, you don't change musical taste just because of the trends.

Obviously people will always find new things they like and maybe their taste will change over time. Even the biggest metalheads etc find themselves finding songs in the charts/pop/dance/whatever catchy from time to time.

Same with pop people, they'll find occasional rock/metal songs they like, Lordi won Eurovision lol

Neurosis - Nothing special about them whatsoever, singer is pretty talentless... can't hold a note properly so just shouts everything to make it sound different... songs (only listened to 2 on youtube) don't seem to fit together, like, it doesn't really get into a song, sounds more like an intro

You seem to have a problem with growling. I suggest you stick to Take That you fecking ponce.

You seem to have a problem with growling. I suggest you stick to Take That you fecking ponce.

Still, the difference between bands like say Kalmah or Kreator and the band you mentionned is huge...And those bands just growl !

No thank you... no problem with growling, just people like you are elitists, think only a small portion listen to it, so you think you're in some godlike group. Any band which gets big you'll stop liking...

I've listened to Amon Amarth, and Arch Enemy, liked, and still like both, they growl, but they sound alot more musical than that shite you seem to call music.

Since being introduced to Death and Black Metal in the early 90s I can`t handle metal with "normal" vocals - I just don`t think it goes together anymore, it doesn`t sound right.

I like my vocals to act as another instrument. I`ve mentioned this artist on another thread, he uses this technique:

I accept that most metal fans couldn`t stomach vocals like this, but I think it adds to the atmosphere of the music.

No thank you... no problem with growling, just people like you are elitists, think only a small portion listen to it, so you think you're in some godlike group. Any band which gets big you'll stop liking...

I've listened to Amon Amarth, and Arch Enemy, liked, and still like both, they growl, but they sound alot more musical than that shite you seem to call music.

Agreed, that band is one hell of a good metal band, very musical and epic !

Since being introduced to Death and Black Metal in the early 90s I can`t handle metal with "normal" vocals - I just don`t think it goes together anymore, it doesn`t sound right.

I like my vocals to act as another instrument. I`ve mentioned this artist on another thread, he uses this technique:

I accept that most metal fans couldn`t stomach vocals like this, but I think it adds to the atmosphere of the music.

What the hell is that ? That sounds ridiculous, where is the melody ? where are the instruments ? I call that noise.
Listen to some good doom metal bands for some great atmosphere songs.

Arch Enemy are fecking terrible. Awful Scando DM. An elitist? No I wouldn`t say so, this thread shows that I listen to plenty of bands who are popular:

https://www.redcafe.net/f27/last-fm-164047/

Hmmm, that song you posted... weird, didn't like it but listened to it anyway to see if it changed at all... just seemed to be a cult song or something, brainwashed me nearly haha

What's Scando? Scandinavian? :s I guess so :p

Arch Enemy have melody, good riffs, and female growler is pretty cool too

Metallica disappeared up their own arses many many years ago. They have turned out nothing but absolute dross ever since the Black Album, having been, at one point, easily the best band in the world.

Sad but true

What's Scando? Scandinavian? :s I guess so :p

Arch Enemy have melody, good riffs, and female growler is pretty cool too

That`s what i`ve never got, "Melodic Death Metal" contradiction in terms surely.

I personally can't stand growling. Singing along with music is one of the great things about music. I'd hate to be at a gig and not be able to sing along.

I think Opeth is one of the best bands in the world of metal.

As for Metallica I love all their stuff up to the Black Album. After that one I just cant listen to their music anymore. I appreciate everything they've done etc but personally I just cant stand it.

Metallica are shit, they have been since the black album. Nothing more now besides poppy Nu-metal has-beens.

Slayer >>> Metallica
Even Megadeth >> Metallica, Dave Mustaine was better off leaving Metallica.

Isis - Again.. that growling... and then some melodic singing. It's actually not too bad the song I heard, but its certainly not for average metal fans. And it's certainly not in the mould of the same type of metal as Metallica etc.

Cock!

Metallica are shit, they have been since the black album. Nothing more now besides poppy Nu-metal has-beens.

Slayer >>> Metallica
Even Megadeth >> Metallica, Dave Mustaine was better off leaving Metallica.

Slayer si the best example of a band which wasn't able to evolve and which stayed in the same shit for many years...Listen to one of their albums and you have already listened to all of them.

And Megadeth better than Metallica ? :lol::lol: Dave Mustaine is an annoying cnut who better shut his mouth and stop mentionning Metallica in every interview.

that is probably the worst thing i have ever heard

Even Megadeth >> Metallica .

:lol:

Are you having a larf?

Metallica may have had they're better days behind them but they have allways been far better than Megadeth

Incidentally im not sure about cynaide but the other one shows promise for the new album

that is probably the worst thing i have ever heard

Its not for everyone. And before you ask - yes, the quality is deliberately that poor to create it's ideal atmosphere.

Abit disappointing though to see bands like Emperor going for a more commercial sound though, Prometheus was a load of shite.

This is more my cup of tea: