Memphis Depay | Corinthians player

He's obviously rusty, I mean how much game time has he actually had from around April last year?

Think he'll struggle the same way he struggled here and for the same reasons really. Ligue 1 is quite a physical league with plenty of strong and quick defenders, unless he develops something new to his game, he'll have the same problems as he did for us.

Think he'll go on to be a good player for them - needs to be given more time, he's going to be understandably rusty.

But in no way do I think we will regret the decision to sell.

An average performance is getting bumps. I'm trying to imagine what will happen in the event of a good performance. The Caf will erupt

Eh what?

The thread was bumped before he even played, just to let people know he was playing, and every post after that was saying how shit he was.

Gunna guess that you didn't even read the thread and made a really shit presumption about why it was bumped and what the reactions were. And for what?

Eh what?

The thread was bumped before he even played, just to let people know he was playing, and every post after that was saying how shit he was.

Gunna guess that you didn't even read the thread and made a really shit presumption about why it was bumped and what the reactions were. And for what?
Regardless of a shite or world class performance, Memphis no longer is our player. It is the Di Maria 2.0 thread where said player has already left us. No point in discussing that if we don't want them back.

Regardless of a shite or world class performance, Memphis no longer is our player. It is the Di Maria 2.0 thread where said player has already left us. No point in discussing that if we don't want them back.

Why not? :confused: People are interested and curious to see how the career of a player there's previous emotional investment in develops. Whether their opinions and predictions are vindicated or not.

I remember when we signed him and the Liverpool fans were furious that they had missed out on him.

If you don't want to discuss Depay then don't come into his thread?

We've got to accept that any player we sell will, at some point, have a good game.

I'm pretty sure even Obertan had a good game or 2 for Newcastle when we sold him.

Wouldn't worry about the odd few games, but when he's up for Ballon Dor or golden boot in his league.. Then i'll start wondering why we sold him!

Last edited:
We've got to accept that any player we sell will, at some point, have a good game.

I'm pretty sure even Bebe had a good game or 2 for Newcastle when we sold him.

Wouldn't worry about the odd few games, but when he's up for Ballon Dor or golden boot in his league.. Then i'll start wondering why we sold him!

Obertan?

I'm pretty sure even Obertan had a good game or 2 for Newcastle when we sold him.

Eh? Nobody is wondering why we sold him. Some people are just interested in seeing how he develops as they still like him even though he no longer plays for us. If people took an interest in Nicky Butt's career after he left was that weird too?

Just scored his first goal for Lyon (ongoing match vs Nancy in Ligue 1):

Happy for him. After having what sounded like a poor game on the weekend, a goal and assist tonight will certainly do him the world of good.

Think he won the penalty too.
Do we have this buyback clause or what's the story?
Supposedly there's no such thing as buyback clauses in Ligue 1/France, but some Twitter journalists claim we have some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' to buy him back for 35m Euros.

.Supposedly there's no such thing as buyback clauses in Ligue 1/France, but some Twitter journalists claim we have some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' to buy him back for 35m Euros.

Yeah I've been hearing conflicting reports alright.

He does seem to save his best for the lesser teams, not so sure he'll be so reliable against PSG, or Monaco.

Extremely unlikely that any buy back clause/gentleman's agreement will ever be acted on by us, and imo we did well to get rid for the price we did, even if he does flatter to deceive at times.

Think he won the penalty too.

Supposedly there's no such thing as buyback clauses in Ligue 1/France, but some Twitter journalists claim we have some sort of 'gentleman's agreement' to buy him back for 35m Euros.

Dealing with lawyers on a regular basis, I'm certain they would draft the clause in such a way as to ensure it's a buy back in substance, but doesnt fall foul of the law. There's no way the club would allow this fact to be reported if it was completely false, given it's a significant transfer and the company's listed on a stock exchange.

Just scored his first goal for Lyon (ongoing match vs Nancy in Ligue 1):

Does anyone remember against Aston Villa I think he had an identical chance to that and put it the wrong side of the post?

Hopefully that's a sign it's going to go better for him there.

Looks like he did okay. Looks to have leaned up a little which he really did need.

He is getting better, but not quite there yet. Probably is a good move to Lyon for him as he looked bereft of any confidence. Even his goal celebration is pretty subdued, but with more confidence he should be back to his PSV level at least. Hopefully he will continue to grow as a footballer, not just as bodybuilder.

If Jose doesn't end up fancying Shaw, can we not sell him to Lyon.

I expect Memphis to turn out pretty well. Maybe it was too big a move too early for him, but he's got a lot of talent.

Played really well generally.

I'm reserving judgement until he plays some higher calibre teams - the right back looks atrocious for Nancy, giving him all sorts of space, which is dangerous.

Hope he can continue getting playing time though.