Maurizio Sarri - Chelsea coach

Honestly I am just glad that they got rid of Conte. Replaced an elite manager with a manager who wouldn’t look out of place at West Ham. Chelsea might be coming a full circle.

No idea whom we got there, to be honest.
I will miss Conte's touchline antics though :lol:

Carlo, Mancini, Ranieri and Conte already won it though. That's four already. Unless your trinity talk flew over my head lol

We just went through a whole season of Conte moaning terribly in every single presser and talking nonsense about the club he was managing. Whatever Sarri's up to can't nearly be that bad.

We've been heavily linked with Golovin. There's also RLC coming back.

The Napoli squad wasn't really strong. It's part of the reason why he had to convert Mertens into a CF after an injury to their CF.

Cesc is a habitual coaster. I don't think that will work well for him under Sarri's system which requires quite a bit of pressing. We'll see though.

I think Zouma is done at Chelsea. Just got his shirt number handed to Jorginho too. Considering we're heavily linked with Rugani, that might be the nail in the coffin.

Very rich of you to point out, considering at some point you've probably referred to Chelsea fans as "rent boys".

We had Carlo for a bit though (and AVB, tragically). But yes, it's nice to finally see someone like Sarri manage Chelsea. Last season I was done with that defensive approach completely. Conte hit peak bus parking in the City match and it was truly disgusting.
Just some of Napoli's beautiful goals last season. If he can reproduce this football in the PL you guys are in for a treat.

The moves at 2:04 and 3:52 especially are mesmerizing. So so good.

13 goals in last 11 matches. Sure he hasn't got a good striker but he was touted to be an improver of players.

Worth pointing out that Chelsea are the only top6 team that we outplayed under Jose.

Made an instant impact at Napoli but hasn't been as good as expected at Chelsea.

13 goals in last 11 matches. Sure he hasn't got a good striker but he was touted to be an improver of players.

Worth pointing out that Chelsea are the only top6 team that we outplayed under Jose.

Made an instant impact at Napoli but hasn't been as good as expected at Chelsea.

What were you expecting exactly? He’s rebuilding a team and so far we’re top 4 and still in all cup competitions. I’d have bitten your hand off for this position at the start of the season.

Chelsea have a lot of players who're not suited to his system. He needs very intelligent, quick and technic players for his system to be effective. The like of Kante, Willian and many others are preventing his style to be effective. I said that they'd struggle for goals and got laughed at by some Chelsea fans on here. Only one forward is good enough for this system and it's Hazard.

Chelsea have a lot of players who're not suited to his system. He needs very intelligent, quick and technic players for his system to be effective. The like of Kante, Willian and many others are preventing his style to be effective. I said that they'd struggle for goals and got laughed at by some Chelsea fans on here. Only one forward is good enough for this system and it's Hazard.

Kante and Willian are both quick and intelligent aren't they? He's not going to get 3 Hazards.

What were you expecting exactly? He’s rebuilding a team and so far we’re top 4 and still in all cup competitions. I’d have bitten your hand off for this position at the start of the season.

I was expecting attacking football. He's so far scored less goals than an United side which was managed by Mourinho for the majority of the season.

Kante and Willian are both quick and intelligent aren't they? He's not going to get 3 Hazards.
I'd say they both are, to varying degrees. Also, Pedro might have lost a yard or 2 of pace, but he played at Barca - renowned for their technique and intelligence - & he's been shit (probably past it, tbf).

But, it's probably only fair to give Sarri until next season to properly judge him. Unless their season just spirals from now, until the end.

Kante may be quick but he lacks the intelligence and technic to play in a Sarri system, look at how Allan played the same role under Sarri to see difference in quality. Willian is just a mediocre forward who should be nowhere near a big team.

If Chelsea can replace the hopeless Morata with someone who can actually score, tie up Hazard to a long-term deal and replace Alonso with a pacey fullback, they will be an immediate top-four material.

He won’t be there in a year’s time. Fans will get bored of his Van Gaal football and they won’t win anything because his football is too safe.

I actually can’t remember the last time Chelsea played good football. Before the oil money?

I'd say they both are, to varying degrees. Also, Pedro might have lost a yard or 2 of pace, but he played at Barca - renowned for their technique and intelligence - & he's been shit (probably past it, tbf).

But, it's probably only fair to give Sarri until next season to properly judge him. Unless their season just spirals from now, until the end.

Pedro hasn’t been shit at all, he had a great start to the season but then picked up an injury.

If Chelsea can replace the hopeless Morata with someone who can actually score, tie up Hazard to a long-term deal and replace Alonso with a pacey fullback, they will be an immediate top-four material.

Erm, we’re already in the top 4 and have been basically all season?

Striker is a must. Hazard as a false 9 didn't work under Conte, and it's not working now.

I think they're having similar teething problems as Klopp and Guardiola when they first joined.

They need a couple of players. A better striker is the obvious one. But Willian and Pedro don't produce anywhere near enough goals or assists to play as wingers. It's about time Willian switches to RB.

Pedro hasn’t been shit at all, he had a great start to the season but then picked up an injury.
Aye, apologies then Ken. Barely watched much football outside of United (and even then, it was a chore!), so just went on the glimpses I've seen - Pedro barely starting (which as you mentioned, is injury related) since a decent start to the season, and Willian going through his usual inconsistent bits. The less said about your strikers, the better.

At some point I think Chelsea will have to choose between Sarri and Kante.

New managers always look at their best in August/September when there's still a buzz about the place and the fixture list is fairly light. LIkewise they usually look their worst around Jan/Feb when a heavy fixture list has made them use all the players least suited to their style of play and any shortcomings they inherited in the squad gets exposed. Personally I dont think Sarri was as good as that undefeated run made him look at the start of the season, or as bad as this recent run of results might suggest.

Chelsea’s problem is as follows:

Quality aside from Hazard is lacking but at the same time Hazard doesn’t quite fit the managers philosophy - he’s too anarchical and indulgent with the ball to allow fast ball retention and Sarri ball to be executed. Compare tempo how his Napoli sides played compared to Chelsea ... Chelsea are like snails, pass, pass get to Hazard and let him just decide how the attack will be carried out - there’s no patterns of play in the attacking third.

Chelsea are therefore caught halfway house between getting best out of Hazard and playing as a unit the way Sarri would want.

Other issues include Kante who looks uncomfortable with this set up and who will struggle to find a club suited to his peculiar talents - IMO he suits pragmatic counter set ups so maybe Juve or Atletico is where he would thrive best.

Personnel in general lacks wow factor of rival squads (CB, CF are particularly average) and if Hazard was to be sold which is what I think they should do - they need to reinvest massively and recruit well - lots of exciting new talent, mould them under Sarri and start a new chapter.

It all feels like a decaying Conte squad managed by Sarri and Hazard ruling the roost tactically whilst Sarri is a puppet.

I think they're having similar teething problems as Klopp and Guardiola when they first joined.

They need a couple of players. A better striker is the obvious one. But Willian and Pedro don't produce anywhere near enough goals or assists to play as wingers. It's about time Willian switches to RB.

Imagine this transition for us if Jose got his way. 60m ffs.

Chelsea’s problem is as follows:

Quality aside from Hazard is lacking but at the same time Hazard doesn’t quite fit the managers philosophy - he’s too anarchical and indulgent with the ball to allow fast ball retention and Sarri ball to be executed. Compare tempo how his Napoli sides played compared to Chelsea ... Chelsea are like snails, pass, pass get to Hazard and let him just decide how the attack will be carried out - there’s no patterns of play in the attacking third.

Chelsea are therefore caught halfway house between getting best out of Hazard and playing as a unit the way Sarri would want.

I actually agree with this, I've been thinking it for a while. Eden is world class, but he doesn't seem to be adapting to the new style much. If anything Willian is worse for it however, he just can't resist slowing to a stroll to pull in defenders. Meanwhile, the opposition team is back in force to defend and the quick attack is wasted. At least with Hazard you get product out of it sometimes.

Personnel in general lacks wow factor of rival squads (CB, CF are particularly average) and if Hazard was to be sold which is what I think they should do - they need to reinvest massively and recruit well - lots of exciting new talent, mould them under Sarri and start a new chapter.

I don't understand why people don't rate our CB options. Luiz is far better than people think he is, Rudiger is an absolute star and we have Christensen coming through, one of the world's most promising young CB's. I'd be looking at LB much, much more than CB. New blood at CF is a given though of course.

He won’t be there in a year’s time. Fans will get bored of his Van Gaal football and they won’t win anything because his football is too safe.

I actually can’t remember the last time Chelsea played good football. Before the oil money?

We played well under ancelloti and conte so your spouting rubbish

Erm, we’re already in the top 4 and have been basically all season?

tbf that was the case for a lot of last season as well. You were on our coatails in a fight for second and then it all fell apart for you. If you dont sign a striker this month the same could easily happen again

Everytime i watched chelsea this season Kante has been great. I don't get why people keep saying he isn't suited or comfortable with his current role

Chelsea's problems have been injuries and the lack of off ball runners. The latter is in part a failure on Sarri's part, but also in part down to the fact chelsea really have only one player who knows how to play off the ball and is comfortable with it in Pedro. And even he seems to have somehow turned more into another willian/hazard who wants the ball played to his feet to run at the defence since his move to Chelsea

A number of them seem off his bandwagon. Say he's allergic to rotation, doesn't drop Willian (whom many of their fans loathe), makes tactical changes that make them doubt he knows his own players and his philosophy favours pointless possession.

Think @EwanI Ted's post might have nailed it but time will tell.

We need to sign him a striker, can't be operating just with half fit Giroud in the squad! Morata is surely off to Seville if we can find a replacement. CHO has shown he is ready to start now over Willian or Pedro.

We're controlling games and not conceding many goals. Obviously not scoring many either!, I believe having CHO starting and a new striker can solve this issue. He's done better than I expected so far.

I think the issues at Chelsea are more in mentality of the core group of players than the manager. Jose comes in a second time, wins the league then the players down tools, Conte comes in and wins the league and then everything goes to pot, Sarri comes in and for a while it looks like they might challenge for the PL before falling away (although not unexpected given Liverpool/City's transfer activity).

I'd say on paper they shouldn't be top four because they simply don't have a striker who can play at this level. If they can find one, I think they immediately start challenging on all fronts again because they're a decently balanced team, not necessarily full of superstars but all good players with some stardust in Hazard.

I actually agree with this, I've been thinking it for a while. Eden is world class, but he doesn't seem to be adapting to the new style much. If anything Willian is worse for it however, he just can't resist slowing to a stroll to pull in defenders. Meanwhile, the opposition team is back in force to defend and the quick attack is wasted. At least with Hazard you get product out of it sometimes.

I don't understand why people don't rate our CB options. Luiz is far better than people think he is, Rudiger is an absolute star and we have Christensen coming through, one of the world's most promising young CB's. I'd be looking at LB much, much more than CB. New blood at CF is a given though of course.

Actually you make a fair point at CB.. your options at CB are better than ours IMO, but I meant compared to say where you once was and if you have ambitions to become top side in Europe again, it isn't strong enough in terms of that context.

Glad you agree on Hazard as I do think its a issue which no one seems to be willing to discuss much but he is the 'elephant in the room'.. so damn talented but IMO a bad fit in the current philosophy.

He just doesn't have the players. Apart from Hazard, who is creative?

He just doesn't have the players. Apart from Hazard, who is creative?

Kovacic, Jorginho, Willian, Barkley, RLC, Pedro, CHO, practically all their midfielders are creative except for Kante and Drinkwater. He also has Alonso, who is really good in attack.

Kovacic, Jorginho, Willian, Barkley, RLC, Pedro, CHO, practically all their midfielders are creative except for Kante and Drinkwater. He also has Alonso, who is really good in attack.
They need another Hazardesque player on the right or up top, at least one that can assist.

You say that Kovacic, Willian, Barkley, Pedro are creative players, but I don't think they have 30 assists together in the last 3 years. That's not enough if you want to compete.