Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

If we take the woe are United spectacles off, in isolation these leaks really sound like they're trying to raise the price on us and not PSG / Barca?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
If we take the woe are United spectacles off, in isolation these leaks really sound like they're trying to raise the price on us and not PSG / Barca?

Get out, now!

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I am so confused, yes this image is real, I can confirm that. But that's just some guy isn't it? That's not De Ligt... Or am I missing something?
yeah it is just some guy, hence are adidas trolling using a model which could be De Ligts twin brother

cyberman

Get out, now!
But it makes sense. Story goes that he wants to go to Barca and United have upped their wage offer to combat that so Barca now have to raise their offer which would be taken back to United. The player hasn't even said anything to say he dreams of Spain, it's leaks to the media that say it. Why would Raiola want that if that's the club he's going to anyway? Wouldn't he want to be seen to be favouring elsewhere and force Barcas hand?

Now reports of Barca dropping out and all of a sudden PSG are in the equation who just happens to be happy to match any offer the player and agents get.
It's United that's being played here.

Classical Mechanic

But it makes sense. Story goes that he wants to go to Barca and United have upped their wage offer to combat that so Barca now have to raise their offer which would be taken back to United. The player hasn't even said anything to say he dreams of Spain, it's leaks to the media that say it. Why would Raiola want that if that's the club he's going to anyway? Wouldn't he want to be seen to be favouring elsewhere and force Barcas hand?

Now reports of Barca dropping out and all of a sudden PSG are in the equation who just happens to be happy to match any offer the player and agents get.
It's United that's being played here.
It’s everyone that’s being played. It’s an auction for his services.

Johan07

I don't get where you can throw about this and that being naive. We have the second highest wage bill on the planet and we are not even among the 20 best teams. So obviously we've been run absolutely terribly.

There are only about a handful of players earning around that figure or more, those are established super stars at Barca, Real and PSG. Hard to tell with City and their shady dealings, but probably them too.

Signing a 19 year old - albeit very promising - player and giving him 350K (again, and I stress, if true) would be insane. Giving Rashford 300K would be even worse. No other club on the planet would give Rashford that kind of money (same applies, if those rumours are true).

I'm pretty sure more than half our players are earning more at United than they could ever dream of getting elsewhere. That's my problem with continuing a policy of absolute madness. That being said, I don't imagine de Ligt has any interest in joining United and I think what is getting us mentioned is our willingness to pay more to the agent.
Well, obviously our transfer policy has sucked over the last couple of years. That I think we can agree on. I dont agree on this age discrimination when it comes to wages though. Its understandable from a moral point of view, but not from a footballing and financial one. Who of Sanchez and De Ligt would you have at our club for 350k a week? We just have to accept that world class talent will cost that in wages nowadays. You cannot buy a 20 year old super-talent for the amount of money that is being talked about for De Ligt and not give him a salary that is equivalent to his transfer value. It will take one year and he will be poached by another club, not to mention the extreme financial setback we would take if he sees out his contract. Its a nice dream but not practically doable to offer him like 150k a week. Not to mention that his agent would laugh in our faces.
EDIT
I should say that I think that the 350k is exaggerrated. Including bonuses and incentives maybe. Base salary around 250k seems reasonable.

Last edited:

fallengt

Raiola is his agent. It's not far-fetched to think he's behind those MdL's social media likes.

Doesn't fecking mean anything. Depay likes United-related posts all the time even though you rarely find any of our fans who likes him

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Well, obviously our transfer policy has sucked over the last couple of years. That I think we can agree on. I dont agree on this age discrimination when it comes to wages though. Its understandable from a moral point of view, but not from a footballing and financial one. Who of Sanchez and De Ligt would you have at our club for 350k a week? We just have to accept that world class talent will cost that in wages nowadays. You cannot buy a 20 year old super-talent for the amount of money that is being talked about for De Ligt and not give him a salary that is equivalent to his transfer value. It will take one year and he will be poached by another club, not to mention the extreme financial setback we would take if he sees out his contract. Its a nice dream but not practically doable to offer him like 150k a week. Not to mention that his agent would laugh in our faces.
You cant be serious about offering a 19YO player £350k a week and not seeing the implications of it, he wouldnt get that at any club in the world? Sanchez got that contract because he was a swap with a player who was bought for £30M.

VanGaalEra

Red Daz

If PSG are in for him then I don’t hold out much hope of him coming to United, they can easily match or better anything we can offer.

I have a muppets hope but it’s certainly on the wain :(

VanGaalEra

You cant be serious about offering a 19YO player £350k a week and not seeing the implications of it, he wouldnt get that at any club in the world? Sanchez got that contract because he was a swap with a player who was bought for £30M.
Don't come talk to us about our money when your chairman probably drives a Fiat Punto.

Johan07

You cant be serious about offering a 19YO player £350k a week and not seeing the implications of it, he wouldnt get that at any club in the world?
You did not read my EDIT I guess. I think the 350k is exagerrated. Most clubs today have incentive-based wages, so a base salary of 250k seems reasonable. Its funny, because when it comes to United they always report the max outcome for the player. Like saying Sanchez is on 500k a week. But in general I do not have a problem with paying young players a high salary. I usually take Pogba as an example. If we sell him this summer we will have made money on him even including the wages paid to him for the time at the club. If it takes that kinda wage to secure De Ligt, I am all for it. I am very much against what we did with an old player like Sanchez where we now will need to pay to get rid of him.
And I disagree btw, watch PSG offer a similar wage to De Ligt.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You did not read my EDIT I guess. I think the 350k is exagerrated. Most clubs today have incentive-based wages, so a base salary of 250k seems reasonable. Its funny, because when it comes to United they always report the max outcome for the player. Like saying Sanchez is on 500k a week. But in general I do not have a problem with paying young players a high salary. I usually take Pogba as an example. If we sell him this summer we will have made money on him even including the wages paid to him for the time at the club. If it takes that kinda wage to secure De Ligt, I am all for it. I am very much against what we did with an old player like Sanchez where we now will need to pay to get rid of him.
And I disagree btw, watch PSG offer a similar wage to De Ligt.
Ok you dont have a problem paying young players a high salary? Where exactly do you go from, even the £250K you now suggest at his next contract negotiation?

Van Dyk, arguably the best CB in the world at the moment is on £150K, Ramos, probably the highest paid and most decorated CB in the world is on £200K, what makes de Ligt worthy of £250K? CBs in general dont earn the salaries of attacking players.

*these figures are sourced.

cyberman

But whats happens if Ajax want more money and Barca dont want to budge? Does he sit tight another year or go to United?
Modern football seems to be a certain destination in mind and both clubs haggle as long as they can before the transfer happens.
Ajax and Barca would meet in the middle if that's where he truely wanted to go. sort of like Hazard and Madrid this summer.
Anyway reports are that Ajax doesn't want to hold an auction and have given the player free reign to go where he wants to

clarkydaz

why would he go PSG? They only exist for the champions league and he can get further than them with ajax anyway

Johan07

:lol: What an odd response.
It was
Ok you dont have a problem paying young players a high salary? Where exactly do you go from, even the £250K you now suggest at his next contract negotiation?

Van Dyk, arguably the best CB in the world at the moment is on £150K, Ramos, probably the highest paid and most decorated CB in the world is on £200K, what makes de Ligt worthy of £250K?
Two things: Age and asset value. Van Dijk is 28. Ramos is what? 33? Their transfer value will depreciate over the next couple of years. That is as much of a cost to the club as wages. Look at yourselves. Eriksens transfer value has been cut in half over a year according to CIES for example. From 100m EURO to 50m EURO. Thats 50m in asset depriciation over a year and would in itself fund a new contract to him for four years at 250k a week. You have basically paid 50 m to keep him this year.
De Ligt is not going to lose value over the next three years at least. Might even increase.
So Van Dijks actual cost is 150k a week plus asset depreciation.
De Ligt would be 250k plus/minus asset depreciation OR even value increase (like Pogba, who is worth much more now compared to when we bought him.
So yeah, a no-brainer to me. If he wants to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.