Mason Greenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many of our posters would have wanted Messi in the first team at 17. ‘Not ready yet’, ‘will be eaten alive at this level’, ‘needs to spend time in the 23s first’, ‘needs a loan’, ‘some posters really think a 17 year old from the academy would do better than x, an international?’.

It’s easy to say now that ‘everyone isn’t Messi’, but at 17, he was just another very talented young player put into the first team squad. I think Mason is showing enough for us to test the waters. Michael Owen was a Liverpool regular around the same age, and wasn’t built like a boxer either. Greenwood is on a professional contract now. No such thing as ‘too young’ anymore.
Messi didn't go from u18s to the first team though did he.

Caught a bit of the Youth league game yesterday. Traore, him & Laird looked like genuine talents. Shouldn't they be playing at the U-23 level?
so does the goalie. pulled off one Degea-esque save against Juventus

Well, he made his debut at 17.
After playing for both Barca C and Barca B. He didn't skip any levels like you're claiming Greenwood should. 6-7 months in the u23s and Greenwood will still be 17.

He should be promoted to the u23s first and if he takes it by storm as well he should be integrated into first team near the end of the season.

Last edited:
That finish was so RVP like :drool: gets his shots off so quickly off of both feet!

While I am happy to see him build his game and his confidence in the U-18s (imagine what his stats would be by the end of the season), I think it might be best to move him up to the U-23s to get more game time with the likes of Chong and Gomes, seeing as all three might be team-mates for the senior side in a couple of years. Laird and maybe Traore could move up too, I think.

I'm basing all of this on highlights, though, I have only had the time to catch one full U-18 game so far this season.

Who would replace Greenwood in the U-18s if he were to move up? Mellor?

While I am happy to see him build his game and his confidence in the U-18s (imagine what his stats would be by the end of the season), I think it might be best to move him up to the U-23s to get more game time with the likes of Chong and Gomes, seeing as all three might be team-mates for the senior side in a couple of years. Laird and maybe Traore could move up too, I think.

I'm basing all of this on highlights, though, I have only had the time to catch one full U-18 game so far this season.

Not sure who'd replace him. We could possibly promote someone from the u16s, I've only seen them play in the Hong Kong tournament they went to over summer but Odubeko(?) looked like a decent player from the little I saw, although as I said I've not seen much at all. @jb8521 might be a bit more clued in to answer that.

I had a dream last night that Mason and Rees Greenwood played in the same team.

I think this means we'll get Rees in January.

Mellor. Elanga can also play up top. And there's Odubeko from the U16s.

Not sure who'd replace him. We could possibly promote someone from the u16s, I've only seen them play in the Hong Kong tournament they went to over summer but Odubeko(?) looked like a decent player from the little I saw, although as I said I've not seen much at all. @jb8521 might be a bit more clued in to answer that.
Odubeko would be the most natural striker but I'd say if Greenwood moves up we'll probably either play Mellor up front or move Elanga, Ramazani or Stanley up front

I think Mason Greenwood would be great in a high pressing system like Liverpool or City as 9, he always scores goals when we win balls higher in the third final or middle, he just seems natural finisher who could score anywhere from the box or outside with both feet, he don't need to relies on his pace unlike Mbappe, Rashford or Dembele who will have to rely on pace.

Already more output than Rashford had in the academy and actually looks well polished. Will do great under a different manager in the future. Very unique attacking player. Silky movement, great technically, good pace and he has a great frame to grow into. If we ever ship Lukaku off and sign an actual striker like Icardi then he would be perfect to play up top with a younger attacker. Kind of how Grizi plays off Costa. Or if we find the need for a big lump up top obsolete because we dont focus on being taller than opponents then theres no reason why he wont be good enough to lead the line in 2-3 years time.

I think Mason Greenwood would be great in a high pressing system like Liverpool or City as 9, he always scores goals when we win balls higher in the third final or middle, he just seems natural finisher who could score anywhere from the box or outside with both feet, he don't need to relies on his pace unlike Mbappe, Rashford or Dembele who will have to rely on pace.
Pace is still a very important part of Greenwood's game, there's no denying that.

Pace is still a very important part of Greenwood's game, there's no denying that.

Yeah, he doesn't have to be fast as Mbappe or other to beat defenders with pace but he don't need space like RVP, he would make it more difficult for defenders and goalkeeper to guess which foot he'll score with. He is talented of the balls as well.

He will have U-23 debut tonight against Wolves, probably off the bench. Acadamy doesn't have match this weekend.
It'll be a good game for him to make his mark in, Wolves are 2nd in the U23 table so they're presumably quite a decent team.

Debut goal for the U23's. This kid is an absolute goal scoring machine!

I really hope he can continue this progression, he seems to have it all to be genuinely world classed. Can't remember seeing such a 2 footed player at a young age?

Debut goal for the U23's. This kid is an absolute goal scoring machine!

I really hope he can continue this progression, he seems to have it all to be genuinely world classed. Can't remember seeing such a 2 footed player at a young age?

The importance of this cant be underestimated. Most strikers wouldn't have scored a chance like last nights on their weaker foot. It's a huge attribute. He's the most natural footballer I've seen at that level since Ravel.

He's naturally right-footed.
Nah, he's a left footer. But he's so two footed that you wouldn't tell. He uses both almost equally and only really slightly favours the left when dribbling. It's wonderful to watch.

I wonder how many of our posters would have wanted Messi in the first team at 17. ‘Not ready yet’, ‘will be eaten alive at this level’, ‘needs to spend time in the 23s first’, ‘needs a loan’, ‘some posters really think a 17 year old from the academy would do better than x, an international?’.

It’s easy to say now that ‘everyone isn’t Messi’, but at 17, he was just another very talented young player put into the first team squad. I think Mason is showing enough for us to test the waters. Michael Owen was a Liverpool regular around the same age, and wasn’t built like a boxer either. Greenwood is on a professional contract now. No such thing as ‘too young’ anymore.

Greenwood isn't anywhere near Messi at 17. Not sure where you're going with that comparison. I'd rather the team and youth team were assessed and developed by professionals who know the game inside and out, over any random on the Caf who thinks they know better. Greenwood has plenty of time on his side and the cluster feck that the first team is currently in, is not the ideal environment for any youngster right now. Hard enough getting performances out of a 20 year old England international at the moment.

Greenwood isn't anywhere near Messi at 17. Not sure where you're going with that comparison. I'd rather the team and youth team were assessed and developed by professionals who know the game inside and out, over any random on the Caf who thinks they know better. Greenwood has plenty of time on his side and the cluster feck that the first team is currently in, is not the ideal environment for any youngster right now. Hard enough getting performances out of a 20 year old England international at the moment.

Nobody should ever be compared to Messi. Ever.

He needs time to physically mature. He's a strong lad though so he might get a cameo at some stage before the end of the season. We shouldn't expect anything more. He only turned 17 this month.

That's exactly the point, you can't tell :lol: only Diego Forlan and Santi Cazorla and Ousmane Dembele can I remember being similar.

Nah, he's a left footer. But he's so two footed that you wouldn't tell. He uses both almost equally and only really slightly favours the left when dribbling. It's wonderful to watch.

I'm only going off the fact he's taken, and missed two penalties for the 18s this season, both right-footed, be interesting to see if he takes another one if he'll use his left next time.

I'm only going off the fact he's taken, and missed two penalties for the 18s this season, both right-footed, be interesting to see if he takes another one if he'll use his left next time.
He takes them with both feet. Same with free kicks.

overmars was all left foot
'Former defender Gary Neville opined that Overmars was the best winger he came up against in his time at Manchester United, not least because of his versatility,[141] which was exemplified by Overmars's ability to play on both the left and the right wing, despite being naturally right footed'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Overmars

He was very ambidextrous and fooled many into believing he was one footed. Especially whenever he talked of his 'preferred foot'

That's exactly the point, you can't tell :lol: only Diego Forlan and Santi Cazorla and Ousmane Dembele can I remember being similar.
Pedro Rodriguez moreso than all Forlan and Cazorla I'd say. He throws outside of the foot passes with both feet, weird as feck.

Status
Not open for further replies.