Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic | Factual updates only

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I think he got quite a bit of hype for a couple of days after playing really well in a Champions League semi final. Other than that most of what I've seen is people saying he hasn't been that great.
Ah ok, I've seen quite a bit of hype around him "Proving" ETH wrong which was crazy to me as ETH never said he wasn't a good player but simply that he didn't train well and they fell out.

Don't get me wrong with a decent fee I'd move both on considering their baggage it's not worth it.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
What a waste of talent, I doubt any big club will touch him now.

lex talionis

Why ? surely if there is stuff to apologise for he could just do it in person to the people that deserve the apology. Why would he need to make a spectacle of it?
Football is an inherently public business and although there is a zone of privacy that footballers are entitled to, there is widespread public awareness of problematic behavior that, if he wishes to return to Old Trafford, merits some kind of public acknowledgment and regret.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Kick him out immediately? Sack him we don't need money selling him because our reputation is bigger?
Well, kicking him out immediately was never a viable option.

However, if what you suggest is that United should have actively tried to get rid of him - rather than actively trying to bring him back into the first team squad (which is exactly what they did, that was their plan at the time or so it very much seems) - then I agree with you.

In other words, no silly Arnold letter. Just - get rid. Send him out on loan with no fanfare, wait for his contract to expire/accept any bid (even it were a fiver and a packet of crisps), etc.

Yes, sure - you'll get no argument from me if that is what you think United should've done.

NotThatSoph

lemons are annoying
Ah ok, I've seen quite a bit of hype around him "Proving" ETH wrong which was crazy to me as ETH never said he wasn't a good player but simply that he didn't train well and they fell out.

Don't get me wrong with a decent fee I'd move both on considering their baggage it's not worth it.
He got mostly criticism, due to attitude, performance and effort. No hype at all, until he started playing well on the biggest stage.

OverratedOpinion

TBF not saying it hasn't happened. If it has then it's silly from what I've seen. Even is performance against PSG was not quite what it was made out to be.

Redcy

He got mostly criticism, due to attitude, performance and effort. No hype at all, until he started playing well on the biggest stage.
yeah there has been a lot of "proving eth wrong" in the press, etc, even when he was actually pretty poor, I remember a whole bunch of stuff about how he had amazing stats, except then you looked at them and they were average at best. Yeah he played well in the CL semi but that was an exception rather than the rule. Plus he still didnt pass the eye test when watching him play

Red Regista

I still don't get, why Antony got reintegrated so quickly, as if nothing happened and Greenwood doesn't seem to get a second chance.
It's bizarre to sell a loanee who has just been voted player of the season.

It's not like he murdered someone and hacked the person into pieces.
The allegations against Antony were very serious, just because people are more easy to bribe in Brazil doesn't make him innocent.

I'm sick of the double standards at United. If you kick Greenwood out for good, Antony should have received the same treatment.
If you reinstate Antony, give Greenwood a second chance too ffs, he's even of much bigger value as a player.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I still don't get, why Antony got reintegrated so quickly, as if nothing happened and Greenwood doesn't seem to get a second chance.

The allegations against Antony were very serious, just because people are more easy to bribe in Brazil doesn't make him innocent.

I'm sick of the double standards at United. If you kick Greenwood out for good, Antony should have received the same treatment.
If you reinstate Antony, give Greenwood a second chance too ffs, he's even of much bigger value as a player.
Think critically! Why do you think Greenwood and Antony have been treated differently?

Genuinely, think about it, what’s the difference in what we know….

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

So to recap, you think Antony bribed police and he's not innocent. To resolve that issue, we should bring someone back with serious allegations against them in Greenwood. In for a penny, in for a pound?

Red Royal

I just saw on BBC sport that Getafe have sold a forward, Enes Unal, to Bournemouth for around £13M.
Hopefully that means they need Greenwood and have the money (around £20M) to put in an offer for him and we can close this out early this summer.

Dion

You're not really sick of the double standards, are you?

cafecillos

Can you elaborate on this?

van Nistelrooy

With Greenwood, there was an audio recording released publicly which made it impossible for him to be found innocent.

With Antony, there was no evidence anywhere near as concrete, so it was easy for everyone to sweep it under the carpet. Not right, but how the world works.

Neither should be playing for the club.

Eli Zee

Bring him back... we have a massive talent lasting for a decade in Greenwood.

Regardless of the audio recording, at the end of the day, he is going to play somewhere.... let it be here.

van Nistelrooy

Bring him back... we have a massive talent lasting for a decade in Greenwood.

Regardless of the audio recording, at the end of the day, he is going to play somewhere.... let it be here.
No. We don't want our club associated with behaviour of this kind.

romufc

With Greenwood, there was an audio recording released publicly which made it impossible for him to be found innocent.

With Antony, there was no evidence anywhere near as concrete, so it was easy for everyone to sweep it under the carpet. Not right, but how the world works.

Neither should be playing for the club.
I dont think Greenwood should play for us but to play devils advocate..

What you are saying is factually incorrect, he was literally cleared by the court of law, unless you think Twitter is where law is enforced?

With Antony, like in most cases, the reason its not public is because the victims generally go to the authorities first and its reviewed in that way, so not a public trial.

Greenwood case was other way around, it was released on twitter before the authorities got involved. No one wants to see someone abused.

But it also comes to a point of where your moral standing is? Many footballers have broken the law and integrated back but no one says anything. Grealish drink driving crashing a car or when Marcos Alonso got a 19 year old girl killed whilst driving drunk.

There was no outcry by anyone or no one knows about it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I just saw on BBC sport that Getafe have sold a forward, Enes Unal, to Bournemouth for around £13M.
Hopefully that means they need Greenwood and have the money (around £20M) to put in an offer for him and we can close this out early this summer.
Greenwood has already sent the Getafe fans a goodbye tweet, meaning he knows he's not going to play there next year. Dortmund are the latest club reportedly in the mix.

romufc

Greenwood has already sent the Getafe fans a goodbye tweet, meaning he knows he's not going to play there next year. Dortmund are the latest club reportedly in the mix.
The problem with this is we keep doing this loan loan loan loan. We need to really just get a fee and be done with.

GlazersHater

There's literally recordings on both, one basically proving Greenwood did it and the other one proving Antony didn't.

While I agree Greenwood it's a really talented player, I think our standards should be above that. Being such a massive and popular club around the world we have a moral obligation towards this kind of issues. He may not be guilty on the eyes of the law but we all know he did it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The problem with this is we keep doing this loan loan loan loan. We need to really just get a fee and be done with.
Ultimately, its a business above all else, and the club aren't going to settle for a farcically low fee. If that's the only option on the table, they are more likely to do a loan or consider bringing him back.

romufc

Ultimately, its a business above all else, and the club aren't going to settle for a farcically low fee. If that's the only option on the table, they are more likely to do a loan or consider bringing him back.
I mean he has 1 more year then leaves on a free... wouldn't you rather take a fee now?

Dion

What you are saying is factually incorrect, he was literally cleared by the court of law, unless you think Twitter is where law is enforced?

With Antony, like in most cases, the reason its not public is because the victims generally go to the authorities first and its reviewed in that way, so not a public trial.

Greenwood case was other way around, it was released on twitter before the authorities got involved. No one wants to see someone abused.

But it also comes to a point of where your moral standing is? Many footballers have broken the law and integrated back but no one says anything. Grealish drink driving crashing a car or when [Irrelevant point] got a 19 year old girl killed whilst driving drunk.

There was no outcry by anyone or no one knows about it.
No he wasn't. Please stop repeating this lie.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I mean he has 1 more year then leaves on a free... wouldn't you rather take a fee now?
There's a one year option clause that can be activated anytime between now and May of 2025, so that would give him two seasons before the contract expires.

bosskeano

to hell with shipping him to dortmund on loan...we already gave them a gift in sancho going back for the past few months after taking 80m from us for his transfer

Dion

Oh yeah he was convicted;.. Didnt realise La LIga is a prison.
It's beyond bad faith to pretend the only two outcomes from an arrest are "cleared by a court of law" and "convicted".

I'm asking you very sincerely if you understand exactly what happened with Mason Greenwoods arrest, because it seems like you don't actually know and you're repeating something which is horribly untrue and dangerous to victims of sexual assault. If you don't understand I'm happy to explain it to you.

GledTheRed

Greenwood won't sign for that shite.

romufc

It's beyond bad faith to pretend the only two outcomes from an arrest are "cleared by a court of law" and "convicted".

I'm asking you very sincerely if you understand exactly what happened with Mason Greenwoods arrest, because it seems like you don't actually know and you're repeating something which is horribly untrue and dangerous to victims of sexual assault. If you don't understand I'm happy to explain it to you.
I dont want to go into this in that detail because I dont for any reason want to come across anything but against sexual assault so lets leave it as this.

My point was not to focus just on Greenwood, moreso the moral compass, the reason for outrage is because it was on twitter correct?

My argument is why are we just so against Greenwood because he was accused and evidence was shown on social media first whilst others such as Partey, Antony because its not in this country, there is no outrage and it is okay, because what it wasn't in this country?

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant

When was this?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Also, a loan with an obligation is basically a sale and will probably allow someone like Dortmund to spread the cost better.

romufc

When was this?
My bad charges were dropped. Unless you have the transcript stating the reasoning why they were dropped.

a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.

Those were the words that came out. No one can factually say he was guilty or innocent. We all assume he is guilty because of what we saw on social media.

It also says new evidence with no prospect of conviction.

Dion

I dont want to go into this in that detail because I dont for any reason want to come across anything but against sexual assault so lets leave it as this.

My point was not to focus just on Greenwood, moreso the moral compass, the reason for outrage is because it was on twitter correct?

My argument is why are we just so against Greenwood because he was accused and evidence was shown on social media first whilst others such as Partey, Antony because its not in this country, there is no outrage and it is okay, because what it wasn't in this country?
You don't want to go into that detail but you have already gone into that detail by suggesting the courts had made any kind of judgement on him. The prosecution thought they couldn't secure a conviction without the consent of the victim (who they allowed Greenwood to contact while on police bail) and because of some undefined "new evidence".

The difference between Antony or anyone else and Greenwood is that we have an actual recording of the event in question. The prosecutions aversion to putting a hostile witness through a painful and traumatic recollection of her assault at trail is a sad reality of a rape case, but it doesn't mean we should be ignoring the evidence of our eyes and ears

Courts have high thresholds for proof because they can put people in prison. We can't, so our standard of proof (like a civil lawsuit) is by necessity lower. But a failure of conviction at trial is not innocence and it's not trial by twitter to acknowledge that the evidence in this case is comprehensive and overwhelming in a way it isn't for Partey or Antony.