Film Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
To discuss MCU news and events in general.

But as with latest news....it's all about Phase 6.

Robert Downey Jr to play Dr. Doom in Avengers 5 (Avengers: Doomsday). Not sure how this works. Maybe a different makeup.

F4 movie is officially titled Fantastic Four: First Steps. Looks like it's a repeat origin story.

With F4 and Blade I'm actually excited about Ph.6 after mostly miserable Phase 4&5. Too bad they can't work in a new X-Men into Ph 6 too.

Robert Downey Jr to play Dr. Doom in Avengers 5 (Avengers: Doomsday). Not sure how this works. Maybe a different makeup.

F4 movie is officially titled Fantastic Four: First Steps. Looks like it's a repeat origin story.

With F4 and Blade I'm actually excited about Ph.6 after mostly miserable Phase 4&5. Too bad they can't work in a new X-Men into Ph 6 too.
Different universe.
If that's the case, Peter parker seeing him would be interesting

Are they making any substantive changes that gives one a reason to think the post-Endgame trainwreck won’t continue? Will there be a sort of reboot of some kind? I was very invested for phase 1-3 but have checked out completely.

Last edited:
Are they making any substantive changes that gives one a reason to think the post-Endgame trainwreck won’t continue? Will there be a sort reboot of some kind? I was very invested for phase 1-3 but have checked out completely.
Yeah, same this side. I guess they always have the magical “reboot/different timeline/universe” magical card other sleeve to try and make amends for their shiteness, until that trick gets old as well.

Different universe.
If that's the case, Peter parker seeing him would be interesting
I hope not. Doom is so easy to get right, no need for any alternative universe nonsense. It feels like this casting is a bit of a gimmick

It's phase 6 already? How did the time fly when I took no drugs?

I'm kinda annoyed they picked RDJ as Dr Doom. Disney just can't stop making bad decisions. Should have given the opportunity to someone who needs it or hasn't played a part in these movies. Jon Hamm would have been a cool pick or anyone else.

It’s just not cinema though

I hope not. Doom is so easy to get right, no need for any alternative universe nonsense. It feels like this casting is a bit of a gimmick
I agree but also I don't think I've seen it right yet :lol:

But I agree it feels like a, we lost Kang so gonna try this to generate interest without bringing back iron man given how big a moment it was in endgame

I agree but also I don't think I've seen it right yet :lol:

But I agree it feels like a, we lost Kang so gonna try this to generate interest without bringing back iron man given how big a moment it was in endgame

Yeah that's true. We have already seen two attempts which were terrible.

So it just seems like they’ve given up on trying anything new now. Deadpool’s joke that ‘Disney are gonna make him do this til he’s 90’, is less funny when you realise it’s might actually be true. The next Avengers movies are going to be starring two guys in their 60s.

This situation reminds me of Star Wars pivoting towards pandering to their most basic, lowest common denominator fans after the backlash to The Last Jedi.

So it just seems like they’ve given up on trying anything new now. Deadpool’s joke that ‘Disney are gonna make him do this til he’s 90’, is less funny when you realise it’s might actually be true. The next Avengers movies are going to be starring two guys in their 60s.

This situation reminds me of Star Wars pivoting towards pandering to their most basic, lowest common denominator fans after the backlash to The Last Jedi.
It's true, but it'll still probably make more money than Avatar. Feige is fundamentally a very good businessman and knows what his customers want.

Blade ain't happening, I'd put money on that.

I'm kinda annoyed they picked RDJ as Dr Doom. Disney just can't stop making bad decisions. Should have given the opportunity to someone who needs it or hasn't played a part in these movies. Jon Hamm would have been a cool pick or anyone else.
Probably should wait to see how it all plays out.

If it's an alternative universe, I fully expect this doom to be defeated but a much worse doom lingering the background (that probably won't be RDJ), to set up secret wars.

So is he gonna be an alternative universe Tony Stark who went bad? Or Victor von Doom who just looks like Tony Stark?

I kinda hope it's the first option.
It'll be the first probably, and it also means they can reference Iron Man through the multiverse if it's Tony Stark. It's likely to get a bit stupid I imagine.

It'll be the first probably, and it also means they can reference Iron Man through the multiverse if it's Tony Stark. It's likely to get a bit stupid I imagine.

An evil Tony Stark "variant" opens up a ton of interesting moments for the likes of Spiderman, War Machine and Dr Strange.

I love the Victor Von Doom character from the comics but if he rocks up now, none of the Avengers have any relationship with him at all.

I don't think they could afford avengers tanking and hamm isn't exactly a crowd puller, post Evans and Rdj they Disney does not have a face to sell their movies. Cumberbatch is good but he isn't exactly Evans or rdj, Thor has had 3 duds and just 1 good movie, ant man I don't think has any actual successes, the less said about the marvels the better, there is only so much heavy lifting spidey can do, People aren't going to go fill the theatres for these guys like they did for early avengers especially with how bad the multiverse saga has been.

Until they set up xmen and fantastic 4 they clearly needed someone to hold up these movies and rdj does that. Rdj guarantees a big opening for both avengers and f4, gives Disney breathing space to get it right with xmen.

I don't think they could afford avengers tanking, post Evans and Rdj they Disney does not have a face to sell their movies. Cumberbatch is good but he isn't exactly Evans or rdj, Thor has had 3 duds and just 1 good movie, ant man I don't think has any actual successes, the less said about the marvels the better. Until they set up xmen and fantastic 4 they clearly needed someone to hold up these movies and rdj does that.

Rdj guarantees a big opening for both avengers and f4, gives Disney breathing space to get it right with xmen.
He’s a bigger and better actor than Evans and a lot bigger than RDJ was prior to Iron Man. The problem is the movies are bad now and so the characters are too.

I don't think they could afford avengers tanking and hamm isn't exactly a crowd puller, post Evans and Rdj they Disney does not have a face to sell their movies. Cumberbatch is good but he isn't exactly Evans or rdj, Thor has had 3 duds and just 1 good movie, ant man I don't think has any actual successes, the less said about the marvels the better, there is only so much heavy lifting spidey can do, People aren't going to go fill the theatres for these guys like they did for early avengers especially with how bad the multiverse saga has been.

Until they set up xmen and fantastic 4 they clearly needed someone to hold up these movies and rdj does that. Rdj guarantees a big opening for both avengers and f4, gives Disney breathing space to get it right with xmen.

They had options to go new and big. Cavill and Rock are now free of DC. Stallone (despite earlier cameos) and Arnie are still available. Daniel Craig would also have been a good fit.

An evil Tony Stark "variant" opens up a ton of interesting moments for the likes of Spiderman, War Machine and Dr Strange.

I love the Victor Von Doom character from the comics but if he rocks up now, none of the Avengers have any relationship with him at all.

They've made a mistake not setting up a big bad over the recent phases in my opinion. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight to reference somebody directing things behind the scenes resulting in big battles at the end of the arc that mean something.

Whatever they do now will just be another character, so an evil Stark does make some sense I agree.

They've made a mistake not setting up a big bad over the recent phases in my opinion. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight to reference somebody directing things behind the scenes resulting in big battles at the end of the arc that mean something.

Whatever they do now will just be another character, so an evil Stark does make some sense I agree.
They tried in recent years with Kang but you know, things happen!

They had options to go new and big. Cavill and Rock are now free of DC. Stallone (despite earlier cameos) and Arnie are still available. Daniel Craig would also have been a good fit.
Apart from cavil, not one of those actors would make good dooms and barely any of them can act.

Robert Downey Junior as Dr Doom is a great idea. I think Marvel have got that right. Looking for to the 2026 Dr Doom v Avengers movie now.

Hopefully they will come back to the Kang story line in another decade.

Think there's a lot more to RDJ playing doom, don't think it's simply we want him back so play this guy. It'll we be a massive plot point, and I genuinely think it's a smokescreen for the bigger and badder doom.

Isn't he already earmarked as a alternative reality Iron Man?
No. He's even publically said he won't do it because RDJ nailed the role so well.

He's the biggest movie star in the world and if Marvel could get him in as an interesting bad guy, it would sell tickets for sure.

It's a shame they're doing a Wonder Man TV show because Cruise playing Wonder Man (an indestructible movie stunt man) would've fit him perfectly!

I also don’t think RDJ was a good choice but hearing some of the alternatives thrown around in this thread is now making it look an inspired decision.

That's the main issue. They are pulling big name actors for roles rather than the other way round.

Always felt rock could have been their namor, fassbender has killed it with magneto so i hope they don't change it but yeah disney should get cavill in with xmen, could make a great magneto or cyclops.

That's the main issue. They are pulling big name actors for roles rather than the other way round.
They kind need big names now, no studio exec is going to sign off on 200mn movies with just a talented actor/actress attached to it.

You just don't have to reveal his face for Victor Von Doom. I actually think Tom hardy would have been the better choice

You just don't have to reveal his face for Victor Von Doom. I actually think Tom hardy would have been the better choice
He can mumble his way through through the mask

Anthony Starr would make a great Dr Doom or other bad guy