Martín Zubimendi | £51m release clause

What midfielder does the cafe even want :rolleyes:
I don't think we can get everything we need for the midfield in just one player, and that's the mistake we've been making for years.

Zubimendi and Ugarte together would be great. We'd have much better balance and it'd reduce the burden on 19 year old Kobbie Mainoo (as good as he may be) to carry our midfield every week. That said, I don't think we get both.

A good player, more importantly, a very intelligent footballer. Can drop into defence to help out the CBs too. I'd like him here if we want to build a possession based side.

Think that was Illa-ramendiiiiiiiiiii,

Yes I know, I'm talking about the same player. SomethingMendi, Spanish defensive midfielder, who rose through the ranks as a long time youth product of Real Sociedad, 5"10ish, low centre of gravity, pass and move type of player :confused:

I prefer Zubimendi even though I have never seen Ugarte. What I is hear Ugarte isn't a a ball player. Red Flag for me.

I was just joking. Actually I watch every game of random teams like Real Sociedad because I have no life or interests.

Here is my detailed report of Zubimendi: I would give him 80 points from 100 overall, but he has a potential to reach about 85, I'd say. His best traits are his defending (78 points) but also his dribbling (75) and passing (74). His weaknesses are pace (64) and shooting (65) while his physical traits are solid (71). Besides that, his weak foot has about 4/5 stars in my opinion and he can do a trivela (whatever this is).

For more insightful analysis follow my redcafe-account! Hit the subscribe button and leave a comment!

Last edited:
He's being used to push the Ugarte deal. How has no one spotted our negotiation tactic this summer.

I love his style of play, we just need a reliable source to bite on this...

Come on INEOS make it happen!!

Think he needs that same player next to him. Mikel Merino wins the ball more as well as gets forward more to support attacks

Mainoo is a better ball winner than Zubimendi, so if you were happy with Mainoo as the DM/6 this season then fair enough

Mainoo could possibly do his ball winning a bit further forward reducing Zubimendi's work so there is a bit of synergy in that regard. But there will be times when you need the deepest midfielder to help the defence.

Edit -

Ball winning isn’t only defined by re-possession attained through a tackle though. Zubimendi is just a different kind of 6 more so in the tempo controlling/game reading/smart decision making in possession mould.

How often have we complained about having a side of grifters with no technical ability leading to low posession numbers stemming from a chicken with it’s head cut off style of play where 5-10 yard passes are deemed too difficult to make by our set of midfielders.

The double pivot failed to work last year and our lack of ability to control the midfield and control games was in large part due to having a McTominay/Casemiro/Eriksen either not having the legs or the brain to calm down and show for the ball and play the simple pass as much as anything. My fear with an Ugarte type is the lack of ability to show for the ball in space as well the ability to turn and quickly find a forward runner in space. Having a Bruno in the team who plays so much higher in the pocket than even your average 10 means you need the two behind him fo both be competent ball retainers and recyclers. A smasher type like Ugarte just doesn’t fit what were seemingly trying to build.

In a perfect world we’re already set up with a Rice/Rodri, but without either of those two I think there will always be a serious pros and cons list to whichever 6 or DM we plan on acquiring. Last point as well being that if we somehow see a repeat of last year’s set up where Bruno and Mainoo are tasked with sitting right behind our front 3 and our DM is tasked with sitting right on top of our back 4 we’re going to be in big trouble no matter what personnel we put out there.

Reactions: Fortitude
He's being used to push the Ugarte deal. How has no one spotted our negotiation tactic this summer.

If the budget permits we should get both, Get rid of Casemiro, McTominay, Maguire and Lindelöf.

If the budget permits we should get both, Get rid of Casemiro, McTominay, Maguire and Lindelöf.

I'd keep Casemiro for a year or two his experience will benefit the squad.

Ball winning isn’t only defined by re-possession attained through a tackle though. Zubimendi is just a different kind of 6 more so in the tempo controlling/game reading/smart decision making in possession mould.

How often have we complained about having a side of grifters with no technical ability leading to low posession numbers stemming from a chicken with it’s head cut off style of play where 5-10 yard passes are deemed too difficult to make by our set of midfielders.

The double pivot failed to work last year and our lack of ability to control the midfield and control games was in large part due to having a McTominay/Casemiro/Eriksen either not having the legs or the brain to calm down and show for the ball and play the simple pass as much as anything. My fear with an Ugarte type is the lack of ability to show for the ball in space as well the ability to turn and quickly find a forward runner in space. Having a Bruno in the team who plays so much higher in the pocket than even your average 10 means you need the two behind him fo both be competent ball retainers and recyclers. A smasher type like Ugarte just doesn’t fit what were seemingly trying to build.

In a perfect world we’re already set up with a Rice/Rodri, but without either of those two I think there will always be a serious pros and cons list to whichever 6 or DM we plan on acquiring. Last point as well being that if we somehow see a repeat of last year’s set up where Bruno and Mainoo are tasked with sitting right behind our front 3 and our DM is tasked with sitting right on top of our back 4 we’re going to be in big trouble no matter what personnel we put out there.

Nobody said it is. But he's low when you combine all avenues of ball winning and isnt the best at reading defensive situations

He's not someone you can rely on defensively. You can rely on him passing the ball around from deep.

I'd keep Casemiro for a year or two his experience will benefit the squad.
For us to get both he has to go. Man is on 350k a week, that not a good return for what he deliver on the pitch Nowadays.

If it's a straight choice between Zubimendi and any other midfielders we have been linked with. I'm picking the former. Like Ugarte, I don't think he is the perfect Mainoo partner, but unless we are signing Rodri, that's not going to happen this summer.

I don't think we can get everything we need for the midfield in just one player, and that's the mistake we've been making for years.

Zubimendi and Ugarte together would be great. We'd have much better balance and it'd reduce the burden on 19 year old Kobbie Mainoo (as good as he may be) to carry our midfield every week. That said, I don't think we get both.

Zubimendi, Ugarte, Mainoo, Mount would give us a hell of a lot of options for those two spots. Use Gore/Collyer or even Eriksen if he doesn't want to leave as 5th choice.

Obviously a huge ask, but I do feel like we have some players who do have value. McTominay, Casemiro, Mejbri even throw in Pellistri. Could we get £60m for them? Add it to the Van de Beek money, gives us £60.5m. I'm not sure how the finances work, but with the wages saved, surely that would be enough to bring in 2 players?

For us to get both he has to go. Man is on 350k a week, that not a good return for what he deliver on the pitch Nowadays.
I'd rather get Rabiot, Ugarte, sell McT and Eriksen.

Eriksen can't even get 60 minutes without his legs going, he should be the first to go.

Rabiot is a free.

With that money we have options such as De Ligt. Especially if we can move on AWB and one of Lindelof and Maguire.

Ugarte is a combative midfielder/ball winner, Zubimendi is a Jorginho type deep passer. Lidl Pirlo

According to his stats though he's not, his forward passes are in the 62nd percentile, that's hardly inspiring.

It's an effective negotiation tactic when there's evidence that the other team is prepared to walk away.

I think (and hope) INEOS will actually develop a reputation for doing this. I won't be surprised if a sudden jump to another target becomes more than just a negotiating tactic.

According to his stats though he's not, his forward passes are in the 62nd percentile, that's hardly inspiring.

Like I said, Lidl. He does it but not as much as you'd think with the way people talk about him. Its still his strength because his defending and ball winning is weaker

Like I said, Lidl. He does it but not as much as you'd think with the way people talk about him. Its still his strength because his defending and ball winning is weaker

Surely Ugarte is better fit as we lack a ball winner

I'd rather get Rabiot, Ugarte, sell McT and Eriksen.

Eriksen can't even get 60 minutes without his legs going, he should be the first to go.

Rabiot is a free.

With that money we have options such as De Ligt. Especially if we can move on AWB and one of Lindelof and Maguire.

Yeah as you can see in the thread I am very much on the Rabiot train, that post from a reddit also emphasises the issues with his mum are a bit exaggerated. There is no harm giving ourselves more time to find that tempo controller type midfielder.

It's simple if you aren't aware.

1. Journalist from Tier 1 to Tier 50 links player.
  2. Thread is made with questionable reliability over said journo.
  3. Jump in the thread and say YES BIG FAN ALWAYS WANTED.
  4. Press refresh on the toilet, as you walk your dog, over breakfast for updates.
  5. Dream of where said player fits into the squad make line ups, start YouTube scouting.
  6. Gaze upon the glory that is the YouTube videos thumbnail clad in United colours with the title 'Welcome to Manchester United''
  7. Continue ad-infinitum lose sleep waiting for Romano and Ornstein to an update of a bid being lodged.
  8. Ready the flight tracker.
  9. Transfer window ends.
  10. Go back to life until next window opens.

Ain't that the truth.

I woke up at 3am, went to the toilet briefly, got back in bed and instead of sleeping, clicked on the transfer tweets thread. I'm not sure what I was expecting at 3am.......

What's his release clause, Read Somewhere it's €35m, how true is that?

Surely Ugarte is better fit as we lack a ball winner
If the attacking players pressed properly 75% of time well we won't really need one.

The problem is the Likes of Rashford don't press to win the ball back they just do it with no intent on winning the ball back.

I agree with this sentiment, it would certainly be the end of Fernandes however as it would demand a three-man midfield, similar to the interest with Neves if it ever materialized I can't see Bruno amongst the crop of three first team midfielders.

Not unless United revert to a diamond similar to the 4-3-1-2 system Madrid used last season to shoehorn Bellingham into the team.

Martin Zubimendi would be an outstanding player if he's used correctly in the right system.

You can't rely on the percentile statistics because they're dependent on which type of midfielder you are and how your team plays. Mainoo is in the 9th percentile and McTominay is in the 10th percentile for progressive passes. We all know Mainoo does it much better. Meanwhile Bruno is in the 98th percentile which tracks with his playstyle. However, including Bruno in the percentile stats when comparing to a midfielder like Zubimendi makes no sense. Therefore it includes all midfielders in this stat and that context is missing as well.

I’m just happy we are actually being linked to midfielders. Haven’t really seen either Ugarte or Zubimendi play but if we can shift off Casemiro and McTominay it would be nice to bring in two midfielders, need to start properly overhauling the squad.

Although it is impossible to be certain without being present inside the room, I do believe that we are logically after two centre backs and two midfielders. I believe we will also see one CB go out to accommodate this (Lindelof), and one midfielder at least. Maybe two.

I like Zubimendi a lot and think he would give us more tactical flexibility than Ugarte. But I would be happy with either. The second midfielder I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Rabiot on a free. It would make sense. He’s mobile, technical, and tactically intelligent. I would be surprised if we signed both Ugarte and Zubimendi due to the costs involved. But that would certainly be the best outcome. If we can get a decent fee for Casemiro, then that plus his huge wage savings, would make it very plausible. Failing that, I would expect it to be Zubi or Ugarte, plus a more cost effective signing like Rabiot.

Although it is impossible to be certain without being present inside the room, I do believe that we are logically after two centre backs and two midfielders. I believe we will also see one CB go out to accommodate this (Lindelof), and one midfielder at least. Maybe two.

I like Zubimendi a lot and think he would give us more tactical flexibility than Ugarte. But I would be happy with either. The second midfielder I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Rabiot on a free. It would make sense. He’s mobile, technical, and tactically intelligent. I would be surprised if we signed both Ugarte and Zubimendi due to the costs involved. But that would certainly be the best outcome. If we can get a decent fee for Casemiro, then that plus his huge wage savings, would make it very plausible. Failing that, I would expect it to be Zubi or Ugarte, plus a more cost effective signing like Rabiot.

Yeah it will definitely only be one of them due to money involved,like you say Rabiot make sense on a free provided the wages/contract aren't ridiculous

He will be 26 by February next year.

I have a feeling there is a perception that he is a young and up & coming midfielder.

I think going in for Adam Wharton would be better in January transfer window to test him out a bit further at crystal palace.

He is the most Carrick like player personally to me.

Last edited:
Ducker the only one talking about this? Hate to be a negative Nigel, but smells like he just saw the name on twitter and chucked it in the article to generate a bit of chatter. Hope I'm wrong though!