Marcus Rashford (Out) | Ornstein: United want to keep, will only consider substantial bids

Born2Lose

Just last season, but he looks so much leaner and quicker. And more passionate.

If you could guarantee this Rashford next season I'd keep him. But this highlights how far he's fallen off
That's his joint best season in the PL with 17 goals.

With 4 games left of this season, Salah's on 17 in a season where he's been criticized. Cole Palmer's already on 20 in his first full season

We've got rid of far better players than Rashford, and the sky didn't fall in.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
(Wil)cox in again lads. Satan is trolling us now

Responding to the rumours, Ten Hag said: "It's a joke! As long as I worked here, every summer, 200 players are getting an interest from Manchester United, which is untrue. We did some research.

"Every summer, we sell every player in our squad. Which is untrue. Be calm and take responsibility when you take such a headline. It is totally c**p."
Asked about what needs to be done this summer, the Dutchman responded: "Always a lot of work. It's normal that when you go into a transfer window. Those injuries [United have had this season] had a big impact.

"We are still below the levels from the expectations that Manchester United has. So we have to catch up.”

https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-most-of-his-squad-are-up-for-sale-in-summer

pascell

(Wil)cox in again lads. Satan is trolling us now

Responding to the rumours, Ten Hag said: "It's a joke! As long as I worked here, every summer, 200 players are getting an interest from Manchester United, which is untrue. We did some research.

"Every summer, we sell every player in our squad. Which is untrue. Be calm and take responsibility when you take such a headline. It is totally c**p."
Asked about what needs to be done this summer, the Dutchman responded: "Always a lot of work. It's normal that when you go into a transfer window. Those injuries [United have had this season] had a big impact.

"We are still below the levels from the expectations that Manchester United has. So we have to catch up.”

https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-most-of-his-squad-are-up-for-sale-in-summer
Whichever report said he's talking himself out of a job could be right.

The press leak about how the whole squad is available apart from three has obviously not come from ten Hag, so it's come from above him. Seems like we have some internal politics with ten Hag posturing to keep certain players, won't end well for him.

daba

If we were smart we'd only give out three year deals.
Disagree. If we did shorter contracts we’d have to renew them more frequently and often if the player is performing well he has a stronger hand in the negotiation. If we were Madrid and Barca where every player wants to stay for their whole careers then I agree, but you tie down your best players to longer contracts to secure them as an asset.

What we should do instead is make our contracts more weighted to performances (something I believe had been reported Jim is looking to do). This then gives the player more incentive to perform obviously, but if they are not performing or playing then they should be easier to shift due to lower wages.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Disagree. If we did shorter contracts we’d have to renew them more frequently and often if the player is performing well he has a stronger hand in the negotiation. If we were Madrid and Barca where every player wants to stay for their whole careers then I agree, but you tie down your best players to longer contracts to secure them as an asset.

What we should do instead is make our contracts more weighted to performances (something I believe had been reported Jim is looking to do). This then gives the player more incentive to perform obviously, but if they are not performing or playing then they should be easier to shift due to lower wages.
You sound like you know what you're doing. Should get in touch with the club :drool:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Yes, Woodward's asset value protection game got us real far and tied down some amazing players to five year deals.

roseguy64

Performance incentives are pretty much in all contracts. The wages that get reported usually have the incentives included already.

daba

Yes, Woodward's asset value protection game got us real far and tied down some amazing players to five year deals.
Knew some smart arse would try and argue that. There is a difference between giving a performing player an extension so that another team can’t nab him for free than giving an injury prone squad player an unwarranted 4 year extension.

daba

Performance incentives are pretty much in all contracts. The wages that get reported usually have the incentives included already.
Of course they are. But from the rumours of Jim wanting to make them ‘more performance related’ to that indicates that they probably aren’t enough, at least for certain players.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Knew some smart arse would try and argue that. There is a difference between giving a performing player an extension so that another team can’t nab him for free than giving an injury prone squad player an unwarranted 4 year extension.
Sure but I don't think Ed Woodward knew that. He was a balance sheet CEO. Like I said, served us well with Martial, Jones, Sancho, Rashford, Antony and a whole host of other players we can't shift due to their wages not matching their performance.

Also, if you lean too heavily toward incentives in a player contract they will just go to the club that offers them a better base salary.

Rojofiam

Rashford isn't in the top 10

But I thought only prime Messi was allowed not to track back at all times?

Rojofiam

or maybe he follows tactical instructions?
Probably the case, but the same goes for most players, including Rashford.

However, if I remember correctly, Greenwood didn't really know what to do out of possession in regards to pressing the opponent when he was playing for us, and it caused problems.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Probably the case, but the same goes for most players, including Rashford.

However, if I remember correctly, Greenwood didn't really know what to do out of possession in regards to pressing the opponent when he was playing for us, and it caused problems.
Yea I think it's this. I always remember he would close down pretty well. I assume he's being instructed not to although I may be wrong.
For what it’s worth I don’t recall him putting too much effort in during his last season with us. It got less the longer he was in the side

Red Rash

For what it’s worth I don’t recall him putting too much effort in during his last season with us. It got less the longer he was in the side
I don't think he was amazing at it but not the worst in the top five leagues. I think his tracking back was always average or fine. I may be misremembering of course.

Manny

Grammar Police
Both his and Rashfords work rate dropped off after Ronaldo joined. Like they all wanted to out diva one another.

Baxquux

Like do absolutely feck all defensive work?
I've only seen a few Getafe games on and off out of curiosity, but my sense is it's totally tactical. He can drop quite deep , but it's either to specifically link play when they're struggling to transition, or it's to keep width. He plays more as a winger than an orthodox forward 2/3 of the time, but a winger in the old sense (less defensive play, more providing an out-ball just inside his own half and driving the ball forward without being caught in CM congestion)

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I've only seen a few Getafe games on and off out of curiosity, but my sense is it's totally tactical. He can drop quite deep , but it's either to specifically link play when they're struggling to transition, or it's to keep width. He plays more as a winger than an orthodox forward 2/3 of the time, but a winger in the old sense (less defensive play, more providing an out-ball just inside his own half and driving the ball forward without being caught in CM congestion)
I'm sure he's definitely allowed to shirk defensive responsibilities, but it's ridiculous how little he does.