Marcelo Or Roberto Carlos

Who was the better left back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trex

Now that Marcelo is quitting Real Madrid, who was the better fullback himself or his predecessor.

Marcelo and it’s not really that close. He’s a level or two above RC.

I’d say Marcelo is the better player technically, but RC had club and country success.

Carlos for me. Surprised that the it is so two-sided.

Marcelo. Extraordinary player. Big fan of both though.

I would like to hear from RM supporters who watched them every week as well

Carlos for me. At his peak he was unreal.

Never was a fan of Carlos. Good player with great athleticism, but a technically limited, unintelligent workhorse compared to the previous generations Brazilian fullbacks, or later ones like Marcelo and Alves.

Marcelo showed with Brazil he can be a luxury player as a fullback, and isn't one defensively for all systems, however he's a much better overall footballer than Roberto.

Marcelo for me. What do Madrid fans think after having both played for their club?

Marcelo.

I haven’t seen any other back (other than Alves) dominate games from that position, his performance against Bayern in the CL was something else.

Brilliant technique, dribble, vision. Had it all. Maybe not great defensively but good enough. Honestly I don’t think it’s even close.

Marcelo.

I haven’t seen any other back (other than Alves) dominate games from that position, his performance against Bayern in the CL was something else.

Brilliant technique, dribble, vision. Had it all. Maybe not great defensively but good enough. Honestly I don’t think it’s even close.

I always thought he could be pretty gash defensively, but because of all the qualities you’ve listed it was more than made up for. Special player and like you said pretty unique

Powerhouse against skill and flair.

Technically Marcelo is miles ahead but Carlos was an absolute animal.

Couldn't split it if I'm honest.

I used to think Evra could dominate the pitch and influence play from his left back position until i saw Marcelo. Two insane fullbacks which Brazil had with Dani Alves

Carlos for me.
Had that x factor - crazy speed and unpredictable long shots/free kicks. His defending was questionable at times though similar as with Marcelo.
He also came 2nd in the FIFA World player of the year award in 97

I'd argue both were best for the teams they played for and their times.

Peak Marcelo delivered more in attacking phases. Yes Bobby had quite a shot and all that, but had a "wide midfielder" level of contribution in attack while Marcelo could be an out and out wing forward and easily one of the most dangerous players on the pitch.

Problem is I can recall Marcelo defending like an absolute clown but not Roberto Carlos. Caught out? Maybe, but not bewildered clown look.

If I had to pick one not knowing the rest of the squad I'd probably pick Carlos, but I can see situations where I would pick Marcelo. You could say roughly the same about Cafú and Dani Alves.

Debatable, I'm just the sort that thinks you can't lose if you don't concede and builds from there. Does Brazil win the 2002 World Cup with Marcelo and Dani Alves? No chance. There's no way Roque Junior survives having Marcelo at LB, unless you ask him not to play like Marcelo, which would be daft.

Edit: when I say "wide midfielder" level of contribution it's still substantially more than any wide player we've had since Nani, mind.

Last edited:
Powerhouse against skill and flair.

Technically Marcelo is miles ahead but Carlos was an absolute animal.

Carlos' left foot nothing less than spectacular. That freekick against France hasn't been replicated to this very day.

Carlos' left foot nothing less than spectacular. That freekick against France hasn't been replicated to this very day.
Most ridiculous free kick ever
The view behind Carlos is immense

Roberto Carlos was an absolute tank and took no prisoners. And he could defend and lock down his side. Period. Cannot say the same for Marcelo who spaced out defensively much more than RC. Free kicks aside, Roberto was non stop force of nature.

I'd agree with those who are saying about different players for different scenarios. Carlos suits a gung-ho back and forth game of the 90's/early 00's with his unreal athleticism, while Marcelo would be a better pick for a possession-based team as he provides more technically. Both weren't really great defenders.

I doubt that Marcelo would have been a better pick for Brazil 02', for example and R. Carlos wouldn't have been an upgrade on Marcelo at Ancelotti's/Zidane's Madrid.

Roberto Carlos was an absolute tank and took no prisoners. And he could defend and lock down his side. Period. Cannot say the same for Marcelo who spaced out defensively much more than RC. Free kicks aside, Roberto was non stop force of nature.
Defend? Yeah. Lock down his side? Not really. He always had those brainfarts and moments of madness defensively.

Sometimes I wish Carlos never actually took free kicks.

But yeah, still, probably Carlos. Marcelo's won more CL's, sure, but that's kind of circumstantial. The top teams didn't just hoard all the talent even as far back as 20 years ago, so the CL was pretty wide open... thus random teams looking shit hot at times.

Marcelo, but it's really close and comes down as much to the team composition as anything

Also "Carlos" is his middle name, not his family name

People normally mention Raul -with good judgement- to explain Madrid's victories in late 90s and early 2000s but I think Roberto Carlos contribution is understated compared to him. I need to re-check the plays, but I think I read somewhere that he participated in 4 out of the 6 goals in CL finals. It would not surprise me because at his best he was everywhere. It is impossible very uncommon for a full back to count on those levels of speed, stamina, shot and technical quality he had before 2004.

Marcelo has been awesome too. I rarely had the feeling any other full back could create something out of nothing in attacking positions as frequently as he did.

PS: cheat mode