Manchester United vs Rangers (Sat 20th July, 16:00 UK time)

If the question is: where would the current Rangers and Celtic teams finish if they played this coming season in the Premier League. you could argue they'd be relegated (though I think there's worse teams in the PL).

If you're officially putting Rangers and Celtic in the Premier League, however, then it's a completely different question. You'd be giving two clubs of a huge stature, that already have big stadiums, a huge financial shot in the arm. They'd automatically become a more appealing destination for players than most PL clubs (excluding the obvious ones, of course). They'd also be more appealing to investors and sponsors.

Celtic and Rangers know just how transformative the PL appeal and money would be, which is why there's always whispers about them wanting to join.
That's it. 100%.

People judging them on their current squad is pointless. Of course the can't attract many top players to play in the SPL, or afford to with the money in the Scottish game.

However if they were in the PL, they'd definitely have much more money and pull in order to attract a much higher calibre of player, so their squads would be much stronger than the ones they can assemble for the SPL.

They'd also become quite an appealing proposition to be purchased by wealthy owners. Currently they're not, as the ceiling for an SPL club isn't high. But take those big clubs, with large grounds and big fanbases, to the PL, and suddenly you can see wealthy owners seeing that as an attractive purchase.

In the 90's and early 2000's, Rangers managed to sign the likes of Gattuso, Gascoigne, Flo, Arteta, Van Bronckhorst, Barry Ferguson, Amoruso, Kanchelskis, Ronald De Boer.

Celtic managed to sign the likes of Sutton, Hartson, Berkovic and Viduka.

You really think clubs with the history and prestige of Celtic and Rangers with the money of PL clubs, would struggle to sign top players?

They have great infrastructure and huge fan bases, give them PL money and they would be a pretty strong force.

The 90s / 00s were vastly different to now and Rangers were one of the original financially dodgy clubs.

We struggle to convince some players to come to Manchester, Newcastle struggle to get players there despite being the “richest club in the world”. They would also be fishing in a much larger pool than previously and there would be no guarantee of titles and Champions League. Maybe with their history and large ish fanbases they’d eventually come good, but in the interim they would really struggle. They’d be competing against the likes of Fulham, Brentford, West Ham etc without champions league, and I think London would win out in terms of location to live.

I thought there were encouraging performances from a senior players in Mount and Sancho who both grew into the game and helped create chances. Mount I noticed to was instructing and organising the forwards when to press in front of him, maybe a trait that the manager signed him for? Onana really can pass and similar to Martinez can pick out a player high up the pitch which helps build up play immensely.

I thought of the young players the academy boys Wheatley and Collyer did well also and looked to compete physically and each had moments. Amass showed some quality touches too and looked bright both defensively and attacking.

The stars were both Yoro and Amad though of course. Both looked sharp and confident and showed why there’s excitement around them both.

Lenny was composed, has a good passing range, using both feet to create better angles, and looked to move the ball quickly and positively. The one long diagonal ball and the time when he carried the ball into the oppositions were highlights. We still have to balance expectations but he does have all the attributes to be a potential top defender.

Amad showed his full range of skills also and showed he can be both a scorer and creator. The only thing stopping him having his break through season is injury as he looks ready to make an impact. Fingers crossed he stays healthy.

Joe Hugill had a hell of a speed. Top top acceleration and determination with the goal.

If United's CF had that top explosiveness and acceleration. Hugill looked like Osihmen from Napoli. They would be really dangerous.

And a message to United goalkeeper Onana : Don't dwell on the ball too long. Let the ball works and deliver the pass quicker.
Last season and yesterday. Onana could easily pass the ball a lot quicker. It is like his defenders and teammates : " are you passing the ball or not? It can make your teammates really insecure. Like "When will he pass the ball?"

Leny Yoro was use to a play with a quicker ball tempo and passes. Onana is good and precise with the ball. But a lot lot of time. He is killing the ball tempo and slow the tempo down. It is ok when you lead 1- 0 with few minutes left.
But it looks like habit of Onana. Stop the ball, look around. Left, right, left...many seconds. Before he deliver the ball.

If i was him teammate. I think i would be really annoy. I have never in my life. Seen a goalkeeper than is spending so much time on the ball. And the score is 0 - 0

For me. Buy a deep lying cm playmaker like Adam Wharton. Let the a outfield player start most of the team building and attack.

It is a positive when your goalkeeper is good and precise with the ball. But it can be a negative if your goalkeeper start most of your team build up attack. That is the job of deep lying cm playmaker/nr.6. The controlling and playmaker nr.6.
United don't have a deep lying playmaker nr.6. So some time it is so annoying watching Onana. The main playmaker of a team.
A sign of weakness. When you rely so much on your goalkeeper. Then outfield players get lesser use to play from the back and build up the attack.

A reason why United shall get and buy Adam Wharton. United shall get a natural and properly deep lying CM playmaker nr.6. Against parking bus team and tight defenders. Wharton ball abilities is more important than Onana.
Onana long ball is most useful against team with high lines or pass/long ball over the first press of opponent teams.

But against. It is a weakness when your goalkeeper is the best playmaker and start most of the team attack and build up. It mean the outfield players are worse with the ball on theirs feets than Onana.

And let the ball works Onana..quicker.

Definitely need a deep lying playmaker but won't be able to sign Wharton this summer. Any that you think could be picked up before window closes?