Old Trafford

Kick-off
Sat, 19 October 2024 @ 3:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Why the hell can't we play like this second half a bit more often - this was a proper display

Lots of shots but the actual quality of chances wasn’t substantial. Just about edged possession which is impressive considering we were on 38% until about the 30th minute.

-2 GD and currently 10th. We move, ten Hag hive.

Pleased with that result and 2nd half performance given the shambles for their goal.

I think their goal should go down as 1 Goal for Pinnock and 1 assist for Pillocks on United medical team.

Why the hell can't we play like this second half a bit more often - this was a proper display
    I think this is just one of the indicators of a team that's decent, but not good. There is no baseline level that we can count on from one game to the next. It's sometimes great, often terrible. Consistency is what starts to make a team resemble a well functioning unit.

Would like to see that. I think Hojlund would love playing with Zirkzee. Amad too would work with the pair of them. Hard to fit them all on the pitch together though.
    I agree. Zirkzee and Amad are link-up players, so they'd bring a better balance to the attack, and give Hojlund and one of Rashford/Garnacho a better platform to be as direct as they are, but this isn't going to happen as @kouroux says below:
    With Bruno never being subbed, it ain't never gonna happen consistently. So Zirkzee has to really earn his starting minutes with these cameos
    So I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe we'll see it in a cup game, but definitely not in the league unless injuries/suspensions rule others out.

@Mike Smalling , what do you think of Damsgaard? He caught my eye this game but I know you'll have seen him a lot more than me.
    Was super exciting when he came into the national team, but then he really stagnated.

He always struck me as the type of player to lack some physical traits to really make it in the Premier League. He’s too slight and too slow. But maybe he can make it work through intelligence and technique. Don’t think it’s gonna be much more than mid table for him though.

Was super exciting when he came into the national team, but then he really stagnated.

He always struck me as the type of player to lack some physical traits to really make it in the Premier League. He’s too slight and too slow. But maybe he can make it work through intelligence and technique. Don’t think it’s gonna be much more than mid table for him though.
    Thanks for the reply!

I did really like the look of him today so he's one I'll definitely be keeping an eye on. Even if he's not good enough for a top team, he could still be a fun player to watch if he plays like this on a consistent basis.

The ref did nothing wrong, he did everything correctly. What happened was due to the utter incompetence of the manager and his support staff.
    You are wrong. He called 4 minutes added time then didn't blow the whistle when elapsed. The laws state only a penalty can cause the game to continue after time. They should never have been allowed to take the corner they scored from.

Brentford was shite. Nothing today should get us excited about what is to come this season.

We have played a lot of teams at Brentfords level without looking like scoring at all....today we could have scored 5 in one half

I think the team has been resting enough for all of us ffs. Glad you're happy with the on field product though. I have a hard time watching mediocre play by MUFC standards.
    I never said I was happy with anything did I? But you've been constantly moaning through the second half even though we were winning and playing well for a change. There's no need for it.

You are wrong. He called 4 minutes added time then didn't blow the whistle when elapsed. The laws state only a penalty can cause the game to continue after time. They should never have been allowed to take the corner they scored from.
    But, let's say, that there is a booking, an injury, or other delay, wasting time - the amount that is shown gets adjusted for this, doesn't it ?

They always say that there will a minimum of X minutes of added time.

I never said I was happy with anything did I? But you've been constantly moaning through the second half even though we were winning and playing well for a change. There's no need for it.
    Yes there is. Because the as long as ETH is the manager of this great club, I will not be able to root for them. So enjoy your once a month buzz watching this team win against an also-ran while playing boring football and believing that keeping the manager that will never be the answer around is the best way forward.

Thanks for the reply!

I did really like the look of him today so he's one I'll definitely be keeping an eye on. Even if he's not good enough for a top team, he could still be a fun player to watch if he plays like this on a consistent basis.
    Just found this and have to nuance the answer from @Mike Smalling a bit. Damsgaard stagnated only because he was injured and then hit by arthritis following a knee operation. Was out for a year or more and didn’t hit form until late spring.
    The other points might very well be valid, but you can’t use him not improving the last couple of years as an argument. I too find him very interesting, @Yagami

Also, he is very good at pressing and not slow as such - has way more speed than Eriksen for example.

Just found this and have to nuance the answer from @Mike Smalling a bit. Damsgaard stagnated only because he was injured and then hit by arthritis following a knee operation. Was out for a year or more and didn’t hit form until late spring.
    The other points might very well be valid, but you can’t use him not improving the last couple of years as an argument. I too find him very interesting, @Yagami

Also, he is very good at pressing and not slow as such - has way more speed than Eriksen for example.
    He's certainly had his injury problems that has hampered development, but didn't he also have a full season in 22/23 without any real issues? Transfermarkt has him being in the Premier League squad 35 times for Brentford that season, but he didn't really kick on. Then he indeed had another injury issue the following season. Even taking the injuries into account, he went a ridiculously long time without registering a goal or assist for club and country.

Saying he is faster than Eriksen, isn't really that high praise, to be honest ;) But he's a clever player with good technique, so will be interesting to see if that's enough. If he can continue to play mostly centrally, he can probably do well in the Premier League, but I would worry if they start playing him wide.

I must say that I had given up on Damsgaard. He was a rapidly rising star until his career threatening injury where he caught some bacteria in a hospital. The saying is, that it takes as long as you have been gone to get back to your previous level. Damsgaard was gone for an extremely long time, and he has really needed his time to get back on his feet. The Damsgaard of this season though is simply getting better and better. In the Brentford forum many fans think that he is the player of the season so far, despite Mbeumo beeing on a goalscoring spree. They already know, that he is probably destined to leave the Bees sometime in the near future. Is he good for United? He already took over for Eriksen once due to his heart attack at the Euros and did a really good job. They do have a lot of the same skills and Damsgaard is only 24. It is a possibility.

Even taking the injuries into account, he went a ridiculously long time without registering a goal or assist for club and country.
    He got reactive arthritis after the surgery. That is a very unpredictable and, I believe, sometimes chronic illness and would explain why it took him so long to get back into shape. I can’t really see any other plausible reason for him not to improve gradually in that period. He’s probably tried to deal with it while getting a bit of playing time.

@Zico1982 Agree, that would indeed be interesting.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 212 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw