Manchester United | Injury Watch 2024/25

Can you imagine the quote for injury insurance at United!!

2 billion pounds please

Can you imagine the quote for injury insurance at United!!

2 billion pounds please
There’s no such thing as an injury insurance for football clubs, there is for financial loss due to a player being permanently incapacitated to play.

At this point, I don’t think this is freak bad luck with injuries. I think you should look at the medical staff and coaching staff. Does ETH’s coaching and fitness regime just feck them up?

Who would have thought, doing 90 minute bleep tests twice a week isn’t good for the body..

At this point, I don’t think this is freak bad luck with injuries. I think you should look at the medical staff and coaching staff. Does ETH’s coaching and fitness regime just feck them up?

I think that's a level of detail, oversight you'll only really get when we don't have a manager who can't be focusing on anything else but his next result to save his job.

This is a problem that has been with United for a long time. Granted it seems worse now than it's ever been, but it seemed like we used to go through an annual defender injury crisis in Fergie's time and were forced to play Fletcher and Carrick at the back.

I think it has to partly be down to what players are willing to put up with this days. Keane used to be taking knee injections to get on the pitch, is anyone doing that kind of thing now?

Who would have thought, doing 90 minute bleep tests twice a week isn’t good for the body..
Why would that be bad in any way for an athlete? (I don't even know where you got that fact from but it would not be bad for them, it would be a bit weird to do them twice a week because once a week would be completely sufficient) It's a test, not training - whole point is you can do it throughout a season to monitor where a player is, the injury risk from bleep tests is only high with unfit people, I'll go out on limb and say any PL footballer is in the elite category for cardio, HIIT etc. Our team, and every team, really do not do loads of running and intense fitness work once the season starts, when you listen to interviews with them they'll do light gym work, go massage, have light sessions, tactical work and recover given for most of the year there is a game every what ~3/4 days when you are in Europe.

This is a problem that has been with United for a long time. Granted it seems worse now than it's ever been, but it seemed like we used to go through an annual defender injury crisis in Fergie's time and were forced to play Fletcher and Carrick at the back.

I think it has to partly be down to what players are willing to put up with this days. Keane used to be taking knee injections to get on the pitch, is anyone doing that kind of thing now?
This probably is quite a good point, many injuries we seem to hear about now aren't severe ones for the most part like Amad's knee, there's a lot of muscle sprains and to be honest players maybe used to just play through them. There's more games now as well which means it's highly likely there are more of these types of injuries. Last season we had the worst injuries so Ineos should definitely be looking at what is going on in the medical department and with our fitness team. United, Chelsea, Newcastle and I think Brentford all had period where there was an entire XI out at the same time, it's completely unsustainable and they need to shave games off somewhere.

When Hag is sacked our muscle injury rate will fall by probably half, at a guess. Put a pin in that.

What was our injury record like under Ole, Jose, LVG? It may not have been as bad as it currently is, but I can't remember a time when we weren't persistently dealing with key chunks of our squad being out of action.

It's a hard cycle to break, however I think we would see a lot more players making themselves available if we were challenging for the big trophies.

What was our injury record like under Ole, Jose, LVG? It may not have been as bad as it currently is, but I can't remember a time when we weren't persistently dealing with key chunks of our squad being out of action.

It's a hard cycle to break, however I think we would see a lot more players making themselves available if we were challenging for the big trophies.
Been an issue for years, last season was awful though because it was all concentrated in the defence for a long time. There was an article on it which explained:

However, digging a little deeper, more than 66% of the thirty reported muscle injuries (20) can be attributed to just seven players, with Harry Maguire and Mason Mount each suffering four injuries. Luke Shaw accumulated the most days on the sidelines (221) up to and including the final day of the season.

So there is also an element here of other clubs likely being much more cutthroat and likely jettisoning players like Shaw (also Martial) who clearly have injury issues and therefore avoiding this problem. Same for someone like Phil Jones, as much as I liked him, he should have been moved on years before he left. Shaw I honestly think pre leg break could have been an all time great but we can't undo the past and he's had maybe 2 really good seasons since that, it is a bit mental he is still here and we extended him last season for another 4 years.

It was never anywhere close to this bad. If you tally up the number of significant calf/hamstring/unspecified muscle injuries there have been it's crazy.

Now, is that partly because we signed players like Mount and Hojlund who were already very predisposed to i.e. hamstring injuries? Or are they only predisposed now because they're being managed by ETH... can't say for certain.

Maguire and Lindelof have had far more time off with muscle injuries under ETH than they had under Ole.

Also we have documented cased with Casemiro, Shaw and now Mainoo where they were rushed back/allowed to play despite feeling issues. And then got significant injuries. Casemiro of course only even learned of his hamstring injury when he went off to Barcelona to get it checked.