Liverpool are a mess

Just to be the party pooper, I would say that we have to enjoy this while it lasts.

Put the engine back into Liverpool's midfield through the purchase of a couple of decent CMs (of which there's plenty on the market) and they become a top proposition again.

It's interesting. I know people think it's funny and not real, but that whole article about how Liverpool are 'cycling off' the meds this year seems accurate. The constant energy just isn't there, and I suspect that there will be a sudden upturn in fortunes for the team next season as if by magic, new midfielders or not.

They've been an ageing team for sometime and losing Mane, was huge for them. I always thought despite Salah getting most of the plaudits for his goals, Mane was a far superior all round player. They've had some shocking transfers of late too, Keita was what £60million, and he doesn't get a kick while Nunez, well he's nowhere near it yet. They'll be back unless they do something daft like sack Klopp but for now I'll enjoy it!

Every team we play looks better coached than us and more up for the it than we'll do. hardly anything left of the mentality monsters who were the masters of in game control.

I can understand some players legs go. I have no frigging clue what happened to Fabinho. he is as toasted as the rest of them.

Every team we play looks better coached than us and more up for the it than we'll do. hardly anything left of the mentality monsters who were the masters of in game control.

I can understand some players legs go. I have no frigging clue what happened to Fabinho. he is as toasted as the rest of them.
You think he’s actually 50? There were rumours.

Salah playing wide right is a massive issue for me. He doesn’t threaten at all any more. Needs to be played up top imo. He was awful today and seems to hide when we’re up against it. I think we should’ve let him go.

Some players ego's get in the way, they start believing the hype and forget the things that got them where they are, some of them have lost the hunger, that's why SAF was so good, if he thought you'd lost the hunger you were gone no matter who you were

We are truly fecked this season. Not getting top four but if Qatar takes over soon it should set a smooth transition for Mbappe and ten other £100m+ players to come in next summer.

End of LFC. What a low to finish on. :(

It's alarming cliff drop. They're so gone. And No, there's no winning run coming. We've been waiting since the beginning of the season now. If anything they're looking worse!

Just seen that we’ve conceded the first goal in 21 of the previous 35 games.

Just seen that we’ve conceded the first goal in 21 of the previous 35 games.

Thats a crazy stat, and very much seems like a motivation issue, like you need a kick in the ass to get up and going.

My Pool mate last week "we'll definitely finish above you, the top 4 is Arsenal, City, Liverpool and one of many"
My Pool mate tonight, "we'll do well to finish top 10"

You gots to love it.

You GOTS TO.

My Pool mate last week "we'll definitely finish above you, the top 4 is Arsenal, City, Liverpool and one of many"
My Pool mate tonight, "we'll do well to finish top 10"

You gots to love it.

You GOTS TO.
Was he on day release from the asylum?

It still feels amazing how quickly this team has broken down.

Van D and Trent dropping massive gears, the centre mid that was limited yet exceptionally hard working has run out of legs, and can't hide the weaknesses of the former two.

Losing Mane utterly daft, which has had a knock on effect on Salah, who looks the classic case of big contract dropping his level significantly.

Darwin's numbers on paper look good, but on actual chance percentage absolutely woeful.
What a mess all round.
Long may it continue.

Was he on day release from the asylum?

He's a Reading fan first, who is usually quite reasoned. I was surprised at his confidence.
I can only imagine it was like I was in the Moyes season, where you're just in a state of shock looking at the names on the team sheet and just assume it must turn around next week.

Checks notes: went from 5 CLs to a lifetime safe 6 CLs.

Yep, you're not getting anywhere near that while I'm alive. :lol:
2 Champions leagues each by my count

You have 4 of the dusty old European cups. That was a glorified Super Cup

They’ve been relying on past glories for too long. Too many of their players are past it.
Big contracts for players who can’t do it anymore.
They have been found out and can’t hack the high intensity that Klopp needs.
Long may their decline continue!

By past glories do you mean 1 Premier League title and 1 Champions League?

Must not forget most of the media were ready to declare this team the greatest ever in the Premier League a few years ago. :D

adioS Mané carried that team for years with his individual brilliance. Soon as he left, they all reverted back to their true, level. Klopp is humbled.

2 Champions leagues each by my count

You have 4 of the dusty old European cups. That was a glorified Super Cup

One of their runs had about 4 rounds and started against some Irish part timers for ruckeries sake :lol:

Mix of issues I think:

-Too many key players over 30.
-Lack of investment in midfield.
-Klopp/team hasn't evolved tactically.
-Spunked their load on Nunez and Gakpo instead of spending better elsewhere.
-Should have sold Salah in summer, they made the classic mistake with big contract for a player whose best days are behind him
- Too many players with huge milage on the clock, related to point one but not exactly the same.
- Their unbelievable recruitment was never going to last, they won the lotto with Couthino sale and spent it well but that's not an annual event.
- While they have spent plenty, the reality is, as it stands, they can't compete with Newcastle, City and Chelsea spending wise, not sure if I can include United with those 3.

It will always be very funny they continually got 90 plus points in the League and yet only won one title, and it was in the middle of covid so they had no fans allowed in to see it happen.

You couldn't have scripted it any better.

A pretty darn big fall from grace this season haha

Supposed best team of all time who were going to win the quadruple to where they are now.

Pretty funny imo, at least it's stopped my housemate's bizarre gloating

I think this year will be a transitional season for them, given how much change they're going through in the midfield, but they're doing a nice job laying the groundwork for the future. If they get Lavia over the line plus a CB like Van De Ven they'll be looking at a core field player group of:

Nunez
Dias
Salah
Gakpo
Jota

Szobo
MacAllister
Lavia
Thiago
Elliott

Van Dijk
Konate
TAA
Robertson
Van de Ven

The only guys > 26 here are Salah, Thiago, VVD, and Robertson. They're putting together a group that could potentially reach their peaks together about the time that Pep fecks off.

The big question is whether there is enough top top quality among the younger cohort (aside from TAA), guys who could hit similarly heights to Salah, VVD, Fabinho, Mane, Henderson, etc in a couple years.

I think this year will be a transitional season for them, given how much change they're going through in the midfield, but they're doing a nice job laying the groundwork for the future. If they get Lavia over the line plus a CB like Van De Ven they'll be looking at a core field player group of:

Nunez
Dias
Salah
Gakpo
Jota

Szobo
MacAllister
Lavia
Thiago
Elliott

Van Dijk
Konate
TAA
Robertson
Van de Ven

The only guys > 26 here are Salah, Thiago, VVD, and Robertson. They're putting together a group that could potentially reach their peaks together about the time that Pep fecks off.

The big question is whether there is enough top top quality among the younger cohort (aside from TAA), guys who could hit similarly heights to Salah, VVD, Fabinho, Mane, Henderson, etc in a couple years.

It will help that this is their ‘on’ year, which means that they will have the added benefit of the ‘help’ that they have had in previous good seasons.

Allegedly

It will help that this is their ‘on’ year, which means that they will have the added benefit of the ‘help’ that they have had in previous good seasons.

Allegedly

Is this an inhaler year!? If so, I need to rethink my FPL team!

Nunez
Dias
Salah
Gakpo
Jota

Szobo
MacAllister
Lavia
Thiago
Elliott

Van Dijk
Konate
TAA
Robertson
Van de Ven

Personally I think they are taking a huge risk this season and could be in big trouble.

Regardless of how good players are, having a completely new midfield is a big gamble. Even if it was the worlds best players, never mind players who aren’t even proven in a top team.

They just about have enough midfielders to play in the first 11. They are still 2/3 midfielders short of any decent depth.

Allegedly
I sincerely hope MacAllister and Szoboszlai don’t come down with a dreadful case of asthma. Terrible how it seems to spread around that changing room.

On paper it all looks pretty mediocre but Klopp can get the absolute max out of players. If it all goes right I can see them back challenging again, immediately.

They've got a very talented squad. It's just about taking one or two of the players in key positions to that next level. The likes of Gakpo, Diaz, Nunez need to step up and have potential to do so. If they can get even one of them to step into the next bracket of footballer and become world class in support of Salah and Jota they will have a good attack.

They seem to have had a good stab at rectifying the midfield but it may lack chemistry to begin with.

A lot still resting on Van Dijk at the back which is somewhat of a risk to my eyes.

On paper it all looks pretty mediocre but Klopp can get the absolute max out of players. If it all goes right I can see them back challenging again, immediately.
Mediocre and challenging immediately doesn’t really go hand in hand no matter who the manager is. City and even Arsenal just have too much talent. I think we are closer to challenging than Liverpool.

I think if they have another shocker this season, there’s a very real possibility it will be Klopp’s last season there.

But personally, I still think they’ll be right back it.

They have this boom - bust cycle don’t they.