Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a ridiculous take from you.
Not really. City slightly better but not much. Ronaldo was on the best team, and so would Messi be. Really impressive.

Rest of my post still stands. Especially the part about Juve.

He doesn't even had a proper send off in Camp Nou with stadium full of fans. Their biggest legend at that.
And Messi called Laporta stand off with Tebas by saying feck off you lot. All journos talk about posturing these past few days surely some would think PSG wont miss this chance.
How great must be Laporta is feeling now if Messi really goes to Paris. All that posturing with Tebas only to leave him work out their finance even more to top off losing Messi. :lol:

His legacy is tainted if he goes to PSG. Sign of the times when one of the all time greats chooses to join such a """club""""

It's s good thing we didn't go for him. I'm sure he would still play well, but it's clear he's playing for the money. Might have been a Di Maria all over again, and would have destroyed our wage structure.

Despite all that, can't deny seeing him in the United shirt would be something.

His legacy is tainted if he goes to PSG. Sign of the times when one of the all time greats chooses to join such a """club""""

I agree. All players have to look after their interests but Messi was supposed to have certain class that made him unquestionable. This will take off a bit of shine from him that he had in my eyes.

Its not like he is struggling for cash. Supposed to be worth $400-500M. I would imagine after accumulating a couple of hundred million bucks, he would want to be able to make his own choices in life.

Of course he wouldnt come to PL. He wants to retire with his money. Not having to struggle in a tougher competition when the highest prize there is has always been CL anyway which is attainable with PSG. Could break records left and right playing in Ligue 1, has French League champion to his name, loadsamoney, worshipped like a god and still competes for CL.

Surely this was prepared for some time? You don't go from 'heartbroken', from this basically life-changing moment to immediately talking to another club? Also such a big deal agreed during just few hours? :lol: And you have City and Chelsea ready to spend £100m+ on Kane and Lukaku but they don't even try for Messi? Really?? To me this sounds like he agreed to join PSG months ago unless Barca paid him whatever he wanted.

Last edited:
I agree. All players have to look after their interests but Messi was supposed to have certain class that made him unquestionable. This will take off a bit of shine from him that he had in my eyes.

Honestly this is one of the weirder myths in modern football. Just because he's quiet (dull) he's seems to have got this reputation as a classy nice guy and I've no idea why. More points to him being a bit of an egomaniac knobhead off the pitch.

Also fun times when so many Barca fans claimed that PSG/City could pay him twice as much but he doesn't really care about money that much. Guess that happens when you idolize someone you don't personally know. :devil: If Laporta thinks they can make space for Aguero/Depay/Garcia wages, that's €400-450k p/w and if they could choose between these 3 and Messi... But of course €20m per season is not enough for him. :annoyed:

All players try to maximize their earnings during their careers and it never matters the amount of money they already made, I don't get why people expect any different from Messi. These posts saying he should play for free are laughable.

If Messi wanted to stay at Barca, what stops him saying he'll play for free?

Don't say "why should he? Noone else is." ... he's earned hundreds of millions, more than anyone by far.

Already a legend, imagine what two years for free would do to his standing.. at Barca and in the perception of the football world.
I think there's a lot more to it than we know. He's obviously been quite upset about a number of things that have happened at the club (treatment of his best mate Suarez, leaking of his transfer to name a few) and hence why should he play for free? He's seen how ruthless the club, and others, can be and maybe his loyalty isn't what it once was.

And I for one don't blame him one iota for wanting to earn what he's worth, no matter how much he's already earned. It won't tarnish his legacy in any way at the club or across the world and he'll still go down as one of / the best player of all time.

If Messi wanted to stay at Barca, what stops him saying he'll play for free?

Don't say "why should he? Noone else is." ... he's earned hundreds of millions, more than anyone by far.

Already a legend, imagine what two years for free would do to his standing.. at Barca and in the perception of the football world.
What he's done for Barca is enough to guarantee his standing for the next century, he doesn't have to do anything else for them.

How is Messi's legacy being 'tainted' by going to Paris? Nothing he achieved at Barcelona or any of his records will dissappear just because he's going somewhere many don't like :lol:

There's only a handful of all time legends who were one club men, most of the greatest ever (your Puska's, Di Stefano's, Cruyff's, Muller's, Van Basten's, Pele's, Maradona's, Ronaldo's, Zidane's, CR7's etc) all played for more than one club and it never spoiled what they might've achieved elsewhere.

Not sure why it would for Messi all of a sudden, his on the pitch success more than speaks for itself at this stage

it's absolutely crazy there are people who actually think professional footballer on any level should play for free, let alone the best player in history of football. there are no words.

it's absolutely crazy there are people who actually think professional footballer on any level should play for free, let alone the best player in history of football. there are no words.

Exactly, after all this is business. As mentioned by you, Messi is the best player in history of football, he broke several records, moving to Paris for 2-3 years wouldn't be such a bad choice for him.

There is a WORLD of difference between playing for free and playing for the wages he demands

I mean sure, that's crazy to think. Its even crazier they think the one to do it would be the guy busted for dodging tax.

"He's already a billionaire' argument doesn't cut it for me. No professional footballer will play for free, some people are living in Dreamland.

There is a WORLD of difference between playing for free and playing for the wages he demands
But it’s the market. If no one is ready to pay Messi what he requests, he will remain a free agent or decrease his demands.

But it’s the market. If no one is ready to pay Messi what he requests, he will remain a free agent or decrease his demands.
Well yes, agreed, but if he really wanted to start at Barca that badly they could have worked something out, surely? Or would he literally have had to play for free for it to be doable?

Going to Psg is a good retirement option for him at his age. Personally a bit like Ronaldo i dont care how much he scores in that league, but it will be interesting see whether he can change their fortunes in the CL at his age. He's not prime Messi anymore. Not convinced.

"He's already a billionaire' argument doesn't cut it for me. No professional footballer will play for free, some people are living in Dreamland.

not only that, but even if he does, how long can he possibly remain motivated? Barca legend, captain and best player in entire history playing for free because his club has financial issues while Dembele, Griez, Bratwhaite and others keeping their paycheck and playing like shit as usual. some people are deluded if they think it wouldn't affect him.

Well yes, agreed, but if he really wanted to start at Barca that badly they could have worked something out, surely? Or would he literally have had to play for free for it to be doable?

He was never going to be paid anywhere close to what the much lesser players at barca are paid. He's broken every record there is at Barcelona, i think its a good time leave.

Yet another blow for football. Nobody can compete with City and PSG and it will get worse. You can't blame Messi for going there as I am sure he will get paid a lot more than anywhere else and ultimately that's what matters most. I know people are laughing at Barca and Real but I would rather have these 2 clubs strong than the abomination of City and PSG.

Surely this was prepared for some time? You don't go from 'heartbroken', from this basically life-changing moment to immediately talking to another club? Also such a big deal agreed during just few hours? :lol: And you have City and Chelsea ready to spend £100m+ on Kane and Lukaku but they don't even try for Messi? Really?? To me this sounds like he agreed to join PSG months ago unless Barca paid him whatever he wanted.
The oil cheats probably all keep in touch with each other, not only to ensure transfer fix ups like you describe above, but also how their going to finish football for good

If the glazers didn’t take anything out of the club, how much would that give us to put towards the 25m Messi reportedly wants per year? Genuine q?

But the thing is City play in a competitive league. Yes, they won 3 league titles in last 4 but United just signed Sancho and Varane, Chelsea want Kounde and Lukaku, other teams always add quality players and how many seasons can Gundogan score 11 goals in 13 games or so? Dias dropped a level in last two months, Cancelo became poor again, with fans back games became faster and more intense and that's something what doesn't suit City, team will challenge them and beat them. With PSG it's only about how much they can underperform. I mean they just added a Top3 in the world goalkeeper, a Top3 in the world wing-back, one of the best centre-backs of last 15 years and a guy who's maybe the greatest player of all-time. If they dont perform they sack Poch and call Conte or Zidane.

He could have played for Barcelona for free or with a token salary of €1 per week or something. Then got Barcelona to give him a "golden handshake" goodbye in 5 years time and backpaid him all the money owed. He has more money than he or his kids or his kids kids can ever spend. How badly did he want to stay? Obviously not that badly as hes off to PSG.

Still hope we might see him in PL if he finds french league too motonmous for his talent. Has plenty of time to play in MLS and then a season at Newells Old Boys in argentina as he has stated previously he would like to do at the end of his career.

It's utterly bizzare, isn't? The greatest player of his generation and possibly ever, commanding his market rate. What a catastrophe. He should be playing for free.

The oil cheats probably all keep in touch with each other, not only to ensure transfer fix ups like you describe above, but also how their going to finish football for good
Roman was desperate for Messi for years. The fact that he didn't even try now makes me think people who should know knew about this happening. PSG was quite open about signing Messi since January or February, there were reports he spoke with Poch during winter...

I mean if your 20+ years marriage ends and you're heartbroken you will probably take some time to think about your future and don't go out with some new girl the very next day and say "ohh we just met". If that happens you've been with her for some time now. Clearly this is a way how to protect Messi's legacy but even the most ridiculous and naive fans like "RafaelH117" can see through it now. This deal should be so complicated, you don't solve it during literally 6 hours ffs. :lol:

It's an idiotic expectation that sets a horrible precedent. It is fine for players to choose to take pay cuts or play for free, of their own will and volition. Clubs and fans should not expect players to do so as a means of mitigating horrible business decisions made by the club.

It's not like this is Messi's choice either - he literally chose to stay there.

Barcelona are the ones that have messed this up, with the salary cap they cannot afford to keep him. That's not on Messi.

The next best option for him is to play with his friend Neymar in Paris, what's the issue with that?

It's utterly bizzare, isn't? The greatest player of his generation and possibly ever, commanding his market rate. What a catastrophe. He should be playing for free.
I think people are just (rightly) saying that this shows the myth of his depth of love for Barcelona. It's no surprise he won't work for free - few would - but it also lays to rest the 'Messi lives and breathes Barcelona' myth. He's as greedy as the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.