Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Maybe impossible was the wrong choice of word but I still find it really difficult to believe. Draxler has posted underwhelming numbers this season and Reus has 15 appearances in all competitions. Surely club form has to play some part in selection?

Reus was exceptional I those games, he’s fit and never needed any recovery time, ever. Draxler was transformed to a CM for Paris which obviously impacted his numbers (but also likely improved his chances to make the squad because of versatility). Same is just a winger who had been shut every single game he played for Germany. It’s a pretty reasonable decision I would say.

Dont think Germany will do that great tbh. You cant have as little pace in the squad as they do. I get the whole they dont play with classic singers thing.... but not having the option at all on the bench is wrong. Having the change of pace option to come in, regardless of how he played for the national team in the past, couldve been hugely important.

There will come a game this tournament where Germany will be crying out for some pace and proper width, and now he wont have Sane to bring in. And itll cost them imo.

Maybe impossible was the wrong choice of word but I still find it really difficult to believe. Draxler has posted underwhelming numbers this season and Reus has 15 appearances in all competitions. Surely club form has to play some part in selection?

It does, that's why Gotze, Schurrle and Mustafi were left out. Draxler has played as part of a midfield 3 at PSG, not as an attacker, and Reus was the best player at Dortmund every time he was fit.

Draxler did not have a good season, but he proved himself to be a valuable and productive part of the team at the Confed Cup 2017 and the Euros 2016. He has accomplished far more than Sane and he is the backup for Ozil due to not being limited to only playing LW.

Dont think Germany will do that great tbh. You cant have as little pace in the squad as they do. I get the whole they dont play with classic singers thing.... but not having the option at all on the bench is wrong. Having the change of pace option to come in, regardless of how he played for the national team in the past, couldve been hugely important.

There will come a game this tournament where Germany will be crying out for some pace and proper width, and now he wont have Sane to bring in. And itll cost them imo.
Werner is exceptionally fast and Reus is hardly slow either, where is this trope coming from? And to be honest, we have made it without fast wingers (Reus was injured every single time...baffling really) for the past decade and we haven’t done too badly I would say ...

Brandt and Sane are very different players.
They are both left wingers that can score and create. They look very different (even in handling the ball) but they aren't "very different". Sane is a lefty but he can use his right and Brandt can use his left despite being a right foot.

Pretty amazing, he had the potential to be a star of the tournament, even if he hasn't really done it for the national side as yet. I would have taken him over Brandt, or even Ozil or Draxler.
Over Ozil? Now come on that's just being ignorant.
Ozil has always delivered for Germany in all big competitions and was best passer both at a World Cup and an Euro.

They are both left wingers that can score and create. They look very different (even in handling the ball) but they aren't "very different". Sane is a lefty but he can use his right and Brandt can use his left despite being a right foot.
They play the same position, that’s about it. Sane is much faster, robust and a much better dribbler than Brandt. He flourishes in wide spaces, when he can get the ball and accelerate quickly, attacking his opponents. That’s what he does for City and he thrives in doing it.
Brandt is quite the opposite. While he has decent speed and can dribble (not nearly as good as Sane), he is much more comfortable in tight spaces close to the box or in the middle, a far superior passer of the ball and much more of a playmaker. Brandt could easily play as a playmaker and in the middle of the field (actually did it a few times), while Sane would be pretty much lost in a role like that. Brandt fits Löw‘s approach much, much better.

Edit:
I just realized that I described their approach to dribbling wrong. Sane dribbles by attacking players. He runs at them (something Pep loves) and simply runs or cuts past them. Brandt is not necessarily a worse dribbler, he just does it differently. He uses dribbling more as a tool to keep possession in tight spaces. He uses it to shield the ball.

Last edited:
They play the same position, that’s about it. Sane is much faster, robust and a much better dribbler than Brandt. He flourishes in wide spaces, when he can get the ball and accelerate quickly, attacking his opponents. That’s what he does for City and he thrives in doing it.
Brandt is quite the opposite. While he has decent speed and can dribble (not nearly as good as Sane), he is much more comfortable in tight spaces close to the box or in the middle, a far superior passer of the ball and much more of a playmaker. Brandt could easily play as a playmaker and in the middle of the field (actually did it a few times), while Sane would be pretty much lost in a role like that. Brandt fits Löw‘s approach much, much better.
Fair points. I'd counter that in Gündogan, Kroos and Özil we already have more than enough playmakers and need some actual players (like Sane) to be at the end of the play... Now we'll have Müller and Gomez :(

Fair points. I'd counter that in Gündogan, Kroos and Özil we already have more than enough playmakers and need some actual players (like Sane) to be at the end of the play... Now we'll have Müller and Gomez :(

Oh no, an altimeter legend to rely on! And did you somehow forget Werner? It’s not like Gomez will play all that much (-!: not in a position Sane would have been in anyway)

Yes Löw guided Germany to a WC. He also set up a team without a left midfield against Italy in semifinals... and conceded 2 goals from their right side.

He's hardly beyond questioning.

Meh.. you'll be fine, if you don't do well I doubt it will be because if Sanes absence.

I get that point. Personally, I’d have nominated Sane, just to have more options. But those things are difficult to judge. We don’t know What kind of character he is. The atmosphere in the team is extremely important. Maybe that was part of it. But either way, he would have been sitting on the bench, at best. And if Reus should go down, there are still Werner, Brandt or Draxler left, to play that role.

Look at Germany at the World Cup 2014

Neuer
Lahm Boateng Hummels Howedes
Khedira Schweinsteiger Kroos
Muller Ozil
Klose

Slow fullbacks, slow midfielders, slow attackers and still they coped very well and beat the favourites 7-1.

Oh no, an altimeter legend to rely on! And did you somehow forget Werner? It’s not like Gomez will play all that much (-!: not in a position Sane would have been in anyway)
Don't get me wrong, IF Müller manages to turn it on again I'll be very happy for him. I have my doubts though, it's been very long now since I've seen him at his best. Let's hope you're right about Gomez not playing much.

Don't get me wrong, IF Müller manages to turn it on again I'll be very happy for him. I have my doubts though, it's been very long now since I've seen him at his best. Let's hope you're right about Gomez not playing much.

Are you kidding me? Okay, he wasn’t that good under Ancelotti, but that’s been barely more than 12 months and he’s been outstanding since Heynckes came back

Müller is alright. He lead the league in assists, if I’m not mistaken. The national team fits him better, anyway. More movement around him and the play is more fluent. His problems at Bayern mostly stem from his inability to link up with Lewandowski, I think. He’ll be fine.

Neuer
Muller Ozil
Klose

Slow fullbacks, slow midfielders, slow attackers and still they coped very well and beat the favourites 7-1.
Look at them in Euro 2016 though. Underwhelming until France eliminated them. I dunno. Just not seeing it this year from this Germany side, even if Sane was there and in form, but especially as they cant get him in any sort of good form and now isnt there at all. See them losing in the semi finals again this year, probably to Spain.

Crazy there was that interview with he and Tubes recently and Tubes said something like if you get left out of the German squad they might as well hand them the cup as they must have one hell of a team. Sane actually didn’t seem to confident of his selection then. After his season I would have thought he was a dead cert but guess the system is more important than the individual.

Müller is alright. He lead the league in assists, if I’m not mistaken. The national team fits him better, anyway. More movement around him and the play is more fluent. His problems at Bayern mostly stem from his inability to link up with Lewandowski, I think. He’ll be fine.

16 assists and scored 1 in 2 ever since Heynckes took over. He's more than just "alright".

Look at them in Euro 2016 though. Underwhelming until France eliminated them. I dunno. Just not seeing it this year from this Germany side, even if Sane was there and in form, but especially as they cant get him in any sort of good form and now isnt there at all. See them losing in the semi finals again this year, probably to Spain.

Why the hell are people acting like we would want in any way to rely on a 22 year old which was shit everytime he played for Germany and is wildly inconsistent for his club.
And we weren't bad in 2016, but stopping France at home was just too much, although we played quite well in that game, But on such a level, the slightest things can decide and it wasn't for us, so what. Still made the semis.

If Sane isn’t even good enough to get in as an impact sub then feck me that must be a good squad

What? You said you can't have a team without pace, I said look at that World Cup they won without much pace and you point me to that other tournament where they lost in the semis against the hosts? What kind of logic is that? You said tomatoes are never red, I showed you one and you said "but look at that other one, that has green shades":wenger:

World Cup win, Euros Semis and Confed Cup win means the most successful national team in the last 4 years. I think they cope rather well with a slow team.

It does seem a bit of a shock. My only conclusion is they are trying to stop German talent moving abroad? Brandt is a good player but I cannot see how any top class manager would select him over Sane, based on the season he has just had.

Either that or Sane has done something that will soon get leaked.

Are you kidding me? Okay, he wasn’t that good under Ancelotti, but that’s been barely more than 12 months and he’s been outstanding since Heynckes came back
16 assists and scored 1 in 2 ever since Heynckes took over. He's more than just "alright".

He scored 8 goals (in the league) in a team that scores for fun. When he recently said he doesn't know if he'll stay at Bayern forever I encountered a lot of Bayern fans who would be more than happy to see him try his luck somewhere else. I know you aren't the only one (@fcbforever) who sees him as very very good, and I respect that given what he has shown over the years, but there are loads (even among Bayern supporters) who don't anymore.

They have enough pace, Sane wouldnt make a difference at all going by his current Germany form anyway. Some people make out like Brandt is some level 2 player. He is a great talent

Dont think Germany will do that great tbh. You cant have as little pace in the squad as they do. I get the whole they dont play with classic singers thing....

:lol:

Well yeah, unfortunately the likes of Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston are not allowed to sing for Germany. Not so sure about their pace in their prime tough. I wonder who will sing for England? There should be quite some talent.

It does seem a bit of a shock. My only conclusion is they are trying to stop German talent moving abroad? Brandt is a good player but I cannot see how any top class manager would select him over Sane, based on the season he has just had.

Either that or Sane has done something that will soon get leaked.

That makes no sense, the squad includes Gundogan, Rudiger, Ozil from the PL. Leno was thrown out in favour of Trapp, who is sitting on the bench for PSG.

Sane is out based on his shit performances in the NT. He is also a questionable character, but I don't think that was the reason in his case.

Spain 2010 had little pace.

2012 they played with Xavi, Alonso, Busquets, Iniesta, fabregas, David Silva and still wiped the floor with Italy. Their defense was Pique, Ramos, Arbeloa and Alba. Only Alba is considered as pacey player. If you have ability to move the ball quicker then pace isn't all that important.

Spain have proved it so many times, so did Germany.

Neuer
Muller Ozil
Klose

Also Spains prime squad which won 2 Euros and 1 WC in a row was full of slow players. I think many people think you need pace to succeed, because you need pace in EA's FIFA.

However i still believe Sane could have been a great option on the bench. We have seen what kind of impact a quick player off the bench can have, ask David Odonkor.

He scored 8 goals (in the league) in a team that scores for fun. When he recently said he doesn't know if he'll stay at Bayern forever I encountered a lot of Bayern fans who would be more than happy to see him try his luck somewhere else. I know you aren't the only one (@fcbforever) who sees him as very very good, and I respect that given what he has shown over the years, but there are loads (even among Bayern supporters) who don't anymore.
I know that. But I constantly defend him to our supporters. I think he’s fine. Actually, I think he’s been our best forward over the last few months.

I think the manager doesn't like how greedy and individualistic he can be at times.

Spain 2010 had little pace.

2012 they played with Xavi, Alonso, Busquets, Iniesta, fabregas, David Silva and still wiped the floor with Italy. Their defense was Pique, Ramos, Arbeloa and Alba. Only Alba is considered as pacey player. If you have ability to move the ball quicker then pace isn't all that important.

Spain have proved it so many times, so did Germany.

No pacey team has won a cup since....phew....I really would have to think. Germany 2014 wasnt, the three Spain teams before that weren't, Italy certainly wasn't, Greece...well....Brazil maybe still the paciest of those? That wasn't it's defining quality either though. If anything, the pace teams consistenly have been fecked over at World Cups.

No pacey team has won a cup since....phew....I really would have to think. Germany 2014 wasnt, the three Spain teams before that weren't, Italy certainly wasn't, Greece...well....Brazil maybe still the paciest of those? That wasn't it's defining quality either though. If anything, the pace teams consistenly have been fecked over at World Cups.

Exactly. Pace is a good option to have but not something that's very important, at least International competitions have shown that.

Sane has played a lot in the last matches for Germany and been terrible . His decision making has been really hit and miss. As it stands Draxler, Reus have both been much better for Germany and Brandt offers more in the striker department . The rest really picks itself ..

That sounds like he would consider a move, which isn't even remotely what he said. And where did you encounter those? Some plastics from India on reddit?

Bayern supporters are completely splitted in half if it is about Müller. Just read at transfermarkt.de. There are much more who would like to bench/sell him because they believe he is holding the team back. I am not a Müller hater, i like him as a person, but i also believe that he is just a starter these days because of his status as a homegrown player. The face of the club etc.

Also i don't like the fact, that always if his place is questioned, he either spreads rumours about leaving (Inter, United) or is (allowed to) attack the manager publicly (Ancelotti). Even though everyone knows, that he won't ever leave (besides ending his career for a move to China/USA or someting like that) because he knows how good Bayern is for him.