2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

The_Midfielder

Another thread where the truth of the situation is probably somewhere in the middle of the extremes expressed here.

That being that he is an incredibly talented lad, especially with the ball at his feet, and will have plenty to offer for years to come.

But he does look to be pretty slow to cover the ground, especially in transition. And for me, even at 19, I think we can a pretty safely assume that this isn't going to drastically improve.

So he is unlikely to be suited to a role in set up that requires him to cover expansive spaces in midfield defensively.... especially not in ETH's suicidal 4-1------ 41 shape.
He is 18.
Playing with men.
Let him bulk up, be faster.
I think he will be better playing offensive than defensive midfielder.

Eric_the_Red99

Another thread where the truth of the situation is probably somewhere in the middle of the extremes expressed here.

That being that he is an incredibly talented lad, especially with the ball at his feet, and will have plenty to offer for years to come.

But he does look to be pretty slow to cover the ground, especially in transition. And for me, even at 19, I think we can a pretty safely assume that this isn't going to drastically improve.

So he is unlikely to be suited to a role in set up that requires him to cover expansive spaces in midfield defensively.... especially not in ETH's suicidal 4-1------ 41 shape.
This was very obvious for their first goal last night. Obviously Casemiro was mostly at fault for diving in and taking himself out of the game, but Mainoo really should have been able to put in a tackle rather than just helplessly jogging behind Olise like he did.

Andersons Dietician

He is 18.
Playing with men.
Let him bulk up, be faster.
I think he will be better playing offensive than defensive midfielder.
He’s already a unit, have you seen the size of the lad ? He must be challenging Shaw for that bench press record already.

With some Plyometrics/power training he might increase his speed marginally but there isn’t going to be some massive gain. Think we just need to realise much like Cesc Fabregas he might just look like he is towing a caravan around the pitch. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a great player.

He has shown he has other exceptional gifts and with the right signing we can cover that lack of pace and allow him to improve on stuff he already is gifted at.

It is a shame mind because if he had speed on top of the gifts he already has what a player he could be

simplyared

I've said it before. The lad's got talent and he should be impacting games. His performances are getting worse the longer the season goes on. I'm asking myself - was he on the pitch yesterday? He needs to look at little Harvey Elliot and the way he puts himself about and impacts games. Mainoo doesn't "put himself about" He isn't hungry enough and he looks like he doesn't want it bad enough. Feck his age this needs to be addressed pronto!

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
With some Plyometrics/power training he might increase his speed marginally but there isn’t going to be some massive gain. Think we just need to realise much like Cesc Fabregas he might just look like he is towing a caravan around the pitch. Doesn’t mean he won’t be a great player.
To call him that, he has to show the output, killer passes or quality of a Cesc. You're otherwise sacrificing a lot of the midfield for just a tidy player who lacks dynamism.

Cesc at 17 was a different animal. Just look at the passing range, technique and killer passes.

Last edited:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
8th game in 35 days is too much even for fit professional that plays for years in Premier league, let alone kid who hasn't started playing serious football up until January.

I find it amazing that people can't see he doesn't look fresh at all like he looked earlier in the season.

Bwuk

To call him that, he has to show the output, killer passes or quality of a Cesc. You're otherwise sacrificing a lot of the midfield for just a tidy player who lacks dynamism.

Cesc at 17 was a different animal. Just look at the passing range, technique and killer passes.

How much better was football back then? Nowadays teams all just park the bus and overload midfields.

Fabregas really was special.

Andersons Dietician

The only comparison I’m making is that Cesc was slow. Still succeeded in being a great player.

Marwood

I'm not really seeing anything there that's beyond Mainoo or that Mainoo hasn't already shown.

Maybe being on the ball more in general. Which obviously is important in itself.

Sea-Cow

I hate to say this about the pizza throwing twat, but what a player.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Now put 17 year old Cesc in the utter chaos that is the 2023/24 Manchester United midfield and see how he gets on. For Mainoo to look even half as good as he has done as part of such a deeply flawed set up is remarkable.

GueRed

Is Mainoo better suited to be the advanced player in a midfield 3?
I think he can play that role well. Those who have watched him coming through the youth ranks would say he can be quite effective in the final third of the pitch.
He's shown glimpses for the first team this season with his goals and nimble footwork.

Hopefully his last few performances will stop fans and pundits pidgeonholing him into somewhat of an out and out defensive midfielder.

The boy is a bit more than that, he can do a bit of everything in midfield.

Let him grow in that midfield role whether it be from deep, box to box or a no.8/no.10 AMF.

He's still a teenager. He only just broke into the first team in November. Patience.

Sylar

Probably the one game he should have been subbed when he went down :lol:

Really really hope we get some good reinforcements / signings that can play with him

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

SelectiveStatsDave strikes again.

Mainoo was good in possession. However, he is lacking in terms of physicality. He only won 6/16 ground duels and was dribbled past 3 times.
If he has a physical, mobile DM beside him next season then his weaknesses won't be exposed too often. You see plenty of not-so-physical 8s excel when they have a proper 6 next to them. Alas, he currently has an immobile Amrabat next to him and an invisible Mctominay in front of him.

Fallon d'Floor

If he has a physical, mobile DM beside him next season then his weaknesses won't be exposed too often. You see plenty of not-so-physical 8s excel when they have a proper 6 next to them. Alas, he currently has an immobile Amrabat next to him and an invisible Mctominay in front of him.
I would agree with that.

He'll need to play more forward passes though. He can be a bit crab like at times.

I don't like StatmanDave. How he cherry picks stats instead of painting the full picture.

Red00012

SelectiveStatsDave strikes again.

Mainoo was good in possession. However, he is lacking in terms of physicality. He only won 6/16 ground duels and was dribbled past 3 times.
He’s 19 ffs give the kid a break he was excellent today.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The best thing to come from this season… can’t criticise ETH for giving youth a chance. I also like that young CB. Made a crunching tackle today after coming of the bench.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Boy is a gem.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Didn't see much of the game, and not saying he had a poor one but it has really surprised me how slow he looks in tracking back. He might be the slowest Ghanaian I've seen in terms of his sprint speed.

Could be that he is consistently fatigued, or out of position and never really has the desire or chance to actually win the ball back. But couldnt remember this in the academy.

Looks much faster with the ball than without it.

Zed is not dead

Good in the first half, disappeared a bit in the second half.
he looks a bit tired lately so not too surprised about him being subbed off regularly

Bobski

Instant chemistry with DIallo, their ability to manipulate the ball in tight areas compliments each other.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Instant chemistry with DIallo, their ability to manipulate the ball in tight areas compliments each other.
It’s nice to watch footballers that are talented and want to actually play football instead of just run and kick it. Was the first thing that drew me to young Martial when he was in those craps teams around him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I liked seeing him play further forward at times, he has that killer composure in the final third. Would be nice to see him in a proper midfield three with licence like that on a consistent basis

Dan_F

It’s pretty clear he shouldn’t be playing as the deepest midfielder. He’s looked much better next to Amrabat than with Eriksen, Mount, McTominay or whoever.

That bit where he bought down the long ball with his chest, so much quality on the ball.

lost7

He's a baller, but needs to impact the game so much more as a midfielder. Not a criticism, just pointing out he's got ample areas of growth ahead of him