Joshua Zirkzee | signed for Manchester United

Status
Not open for further replies.
In his brief cameo for the Dutch yesterday I wasn’t too impressed. Didn’t appear to be particularly quick and seemed to lack some aggression. Was more impressed with Yilmaz for Turkey (although he seems to be a wide forward).
He literally came on in the 89th minute. There was nothing for him to do other than defend a one goal lead. What were you looking for? To take the ball, dribble past 4 people and score within 30 seconds? Jeez people here with some ridiculous expectations.

Dutch source confirms that personal terms are agreed and says that Zirkzee will become a Manchester United player after the Euros.

He’s relatively cheap, and the MO seems to be changing to stop signing players over a certain age threshold.

Kind of agree on the second point about having two green strikers, but the fact that he and Hojlund are such radically different no.9s mitigates it a little. You could probably play the two together in some squad permutations

Having these two as our first choice with Rashford repeating another shite year would be a good recipe for scoring 55 goals total in the league next year too. While people wonder why we finished 6th again and praise our young striker who has scored 11 goals in his first season in England while forwards in other teams score over 30 goals and we criticise them.

I would like to be priven wrong, but for me our ambitions don't look great for the future, it seems that we will struggle to fight for even top4 and it doesn't look like our owners would be unhappy with that considering our targets.

Seriously man, this has been discussed for a couple of weeks now in this thread. You can't just come in at the last minute and ignore all the input other people have made time to both read and contribute to, especially whilst throwing out the usual 'we only sign Dutch players because of EtH' bollocks. It's very tiring.

I am failing to find any argument that is not just a hope, but actual argument why we need him. He is not a good goalscorer we need, and he is not a great talent.

Not really. Was mostly in jest. I’d just like this one to be over quickly, so we can plan with the money.
What else do you need to plan? Don't you have all the players in place already? Ito, Tah, Olise, Palhinha all signed or very close to signing already. :nervous:

I didn’t think you could negotiate a structure to pay a release clause? I thought release clauses all had to be paid upfront.

He literally came on in the 89th minute. There was nothing for him to do other than defend a one goal lead. What were you looking for? To take the ball, dribble past 4 people and score within 30 seconds? Jeez people here with some ridiculous expectations.

You’re right. He can’t be expected to be a world beater in that short amount of time. I was more interested in the way he moved and his desire to close down opponents. In those areas I wasn’t overly impressed.

I didn’t think you could negotiate a structure to pay a release clause? I thought release clauses all had to be paid upfront.

You can offer to pay more than the release clause but in instalments over time.

So lets say the clause is 20 million. You offer 20 million in one payment or 24 million in 2 payments over 2 years.

Negotiate with the club a different deal altogether, not necessarily the release clause. I think they are trying to see if Bologna would be open to accept a similar fee but with add ons/future payments so that we can save some spensies for this summer.

What else do you need to plan? Don't you have all the players in place already? Ito, Tah, Olise, Palhinha all signed or very close to signing already. :nervous:
We’re not done. We also want Xavi Simons.

Negotiate with the club a different deal altogether, not necessarily the release clause. I think they are trying to see if Bologna would be open to accept a similar fee but with add ons/future payments so that we can save some spensies for this summer.
Argh ok. Makes sense to do that if it allows us to save money to spend on someone els.

You can offer to pay more than the release clause but in instalments over time.

So lets say the clause is 20 million. You offer 20 million in one payment or 24 million in 2 payments over 2 years.
Argh ok. I get you. Would save money aswell to be honest.

Interesting, thanks! 23 is an interesting age because I feel like they don’t really change much from then on.
What? I’d say players normally change quite drastically after 25-28, especially forwards. Wingers tend to go from all action dribbling and taking on their defenders, to becoming more efficient. Forwards also conserve their energy more. Most players become stronger and wiser in their play.

Then they lose a little pace and energy and have to either adapt or decline.

What is this sorcery? Everything is done and agreed and we are signing a player who’s still playing at the Euros :eek: Well done.

not sure what to think of this yet. Don't know much about him (bar the fact that he was once rated at Bayern), so have to rely on what others say about him ... based on the Athletic video that was posted, I'm cautiously optimistic though. Sounds like he is a completely different profile than Hojlund, and bringing in a striker who can offer something different is a good thing. Gives us flexibility and options for in-game adjustments, so I think that's a positive.

personally, I'd have prefered Jonathan David. Similar age, similar price tag and also not your typical 9. But if our new backroom overlords approve of Zirkzee, I'll take it.

What’s the general consensus on this guy? Don’t know much about him but 13 goals and 7 assists in 53 Serie A appearances doesn’t strike me as…prolific…

His he left footed or right? I’ve seen him score with both so he must have a 5* weak foot.

I am not so sure that he is better than Højlund. But he since he is dutch he might get an advantage from Erik Ten Hag.

In his brief cameo for the Dutch yesterday I wasn’t too impressed. Didn’t appear to be particularly quick and seemed to lack some aggression. Was more impressed with Yilmaz for Turkey (although he seems to be a wide forward).
Newbie writes him off after watching him for 4 mins

I am not so sure that he is better than Højlund. But he since he is dutch he might get an advantage from Erik Ten Hag.
So you think just because he's Dutch he's going to take Hojlunds spot and we are not signing him so he can compete/rotate with Hojlund?

Status
Not open for further replies.