Jose Mourinho appreciation thread

Actually he was in the process of relegating Chelsea most recently before he joined us.

Yup. 15 points from 17 matches, if I recall. Conte came in and walzted to the title with 93 points the very following season.

Since 2012, he's won exactly one big trophy (a single league title).

Failed to come close to a Champions league and hasn't even won the main domestic cup in any of the countries he managed at.

Ibra, pogba, mhki, Bailly, lindelof, Alexis he was backed heavily most of them were duds and/or underperformed but he was backed.

Yup. He's the only United manager who was given the funds to break world transfer records, and the closest he came to success was 19 points behind the league winners.

By the time he was sacked in his third season, he was 19 points behind with less than half the season played.

Yup. He's the only United manager who was given the funds to break world transfer records, and the closest he came to success was 19 points behind the league winners.

By the time he was sacked in his third season, he was 19 points behind with less than half the season played.

But after his 2nd place finish he was given Lee Grant, a 19 year old Dalot and Fred . I was with him for being pissed with the board. He wasn’t allowed to keep building after two promising seasons.

But after his 2nd place finish he was given Lee Grant, a 19 year old Dalot and Fred . I was with him for being pissed with the board. He wasn’t allowed to keep building after two promising seasons.

There was nothing promosing about finishing 24 points behind the league leader in 2017 and 19 points after breaking the world transfer record a year later, having the club with the highest wage bill in English football history.

There was nothing promosing about finishing 24 points behind the league leader in 2017 and 19 points after breaking the world transfer record a year later, having the club with the highest wage bill in English football history.

In fairness to every single manager who has been here since SAF that has absolutely nothing to do with them, and everything to do with the gross incompetence of the ownership and those put in charge of the club. We became a soft target for agents and clubs looking to milk the United cash cow. Paying Raiola 20-30m or whatever it was for Pogba was only something United would do, no one else in the game would have done that. And we are still doing these stupid things (Bruno contract) even after a change in leadership.

The wage budget is not a reflection of quality and hasn't been that since 2013.

It’s a shame he’s past it, football for me has always been about big characters and he is certainly one of them.

Yup. 15 points from 17 matches, if I recall. Conte came in and walzted to the title with 93 points the very following season.

Since 2012, he's won exactly one big trophy (a single league title).

Failed to come close to a Champions league and hasn't even won the main domestic cup in any of the countries he managed at.

He won the Conference League with Roma, who have barely done anything in a long time. He was never expected to win anything with them (although he did) or Spurs, realistically. Maybe he'll win something with Fenerbahce, but they are way off of Galatasaray as a team. Still, they lost 1 game all of last season and still finished 2nd. Which shows that he's still more than capable, but there is another team in the league that is just even better.

I see this said a lot, but how do you think he's past it? Tactically? Lost his mojo?
Everything. Football evolved, Mourinho didn’t. Very few managers stay at the top for extended periods and manage to keep up with how football and footballers evolve. Next for Mourinho will be a NT.

Well, I still think he is amazing, always entertaining, at least in his interviews tbf.

By that point he wanted the club to get rid of Pogba - the player he made them sign for a PL record money just 2 years before...he also wanted to spend a record fee for Maguire - after having already spent big money on CBs the previous 2 summers...

Kinda understandable the club wouldn't trust his judgement anymore
He won the Conference League with Roma, who have barely done anything in a long time. He was never expected to win anything with them (although he did) or Spurs, realistically. Maybe he'll win something with Fenerbahce, but they are way off of Galatasaray as a team. Still, they lost 1 game all of last season and still finished 2nd. Which shows that he's still more than capable, but there is another team in the league that is just even better.
He wasn't at Fener last year though.
I see this said a lot, but how do you think he's past it? Tactically? Lost his mojo?
Got old. Obsolete training methods(his teams are consistently among the least fit of their league for example), distrust in the new technologies and data all the best managers of the moment make heavy use of, man management methods that don't mesh well with Gen Z players

Maybe he'll win something with Fenerbahce, but they are way off of Galatasaray as a team. Still, they lost 1 game all of last season and still finished 2nd. Which shows that he's still more than capable, but there is another team in the league that is just even better.
He didn't achieve 2nd place with Fenerebache last season. He wasn't their manager. They finished with only 3 points behind Galatasary last season. He was brought in to improve on that result and win them the title.

Instead, they're already 8 points behind Gala with less than a third of the season played, and his tactics in the 3-1 loss against them proved costly.

Last edited:
Doesn't this prove the opposite of your point. He took over a team that lost 1 game all of last season, got 99 points in the league (3 behind Galatasaray, but 32 points ahead of the 3rd place team) and currently has them in 4th (2 points behind the third placed team with a game in hand tbf) with 17 points in 8 games i.e., already dropped 7 points this season 8 games in when they dropped 15 points all of last season. Mourinho is an all time great but his career has been on a downslide for a while now - the guy who came and dominated the Premier League is not even impressing in the Turkish League anymore.

This man is toxic and a full blown narcissist, totally unaware how he comes across. A modern Don Quixote shouting at clouds. I can´t stand him, he is sooooo finished at top level.

By that point he wanted the club to get rid of Pogba - the player he made them sign for a PL record money just 2 years before...he also wanted to spend a record fee for Maguire - after having already spent big money on CBs the previous 2 summers...

Got old. Obsolete training methods(his teams are consistently among the least fit of their league for example), distrust in the new technologies and data all the best managers of the moment make heavy use of, man management methods that don't mesh well with Gen Z players

I'm sure it was widely reported that Maguire was available for £40M that summer Mourinho wanted him, in our infinite wisdom we decided to wait another year and pay £80M instead.

Everything. Football evolved, Mourinho didn’t. Very few managers stay at the top for extended periods and manage to keep up with how football and footballers evolve. Next for Mourinho will be a NT.

So you, some guy sat on his sofa whilst posting on RedCafe, can recognise the changes in football, but Jose Mourinho can't? Could you not see a stark difference in his football last night to the football he's shown in the past? Give him the same team and same tactics he had at Chelsea and Real and I bet he'd still win titles.

He didn't achieve 2nd place with Fenerebache last season. He wasn't their manager. They finished with only 3 points behind Galatasary last season. He was brought in to improve on that result and win them the title.

Instead, they're already 8 points behind Gala with less than a third of the season played, and his tactics in the 3-1 loss against them proved costly.

OK I stand corrected re last season, for some reason I thought he'd been there a year already.

@giorno I'm not sure I agree with him not getting on with Gen Z players though. I think certain people he just doesn't get on with anyway, but at Roma he had a good rapport with some of their younger players. If you scratch the surface, away from the media I think he's a good guy. I imagine though but fair with his players, and has a good sense of humour. I think his problems arise when people go against him or don't do as he's expecting, which is a different argument.

But last night he had a poor Fenerbahce team competing well with us. Not playing the typical 'Jose way'. He's won trophies at Roma, who thought the grass was greener and got a wake up call. He also, in hindsight, did remarkably well with us. I'd like to see how he got on with a top team, I'm convinced he's still got it.

It was funny, but he's knows what he's doing.

As the lads on tv said, he's just enjoying the attention of the English media again. Giving the people what they want.

He should never have been let near Utd once, never mind a second time.

People are looking at his press conferences and forgetting the football and his time here.

He is a selfish gaslighter who has been unable to keep up with modern day football. For what it’s worth, he should’ve been sacked after the ‘heritage’ press conference after the Sevilla CL defeat. And then of course, the 3-0 debacle where he turned a 3-0 home defeat to highlight his PL title count.

Funny on the referee even though he must know full well it's never a penalty, but it was also refreshing to see him big up his own players for a change.

His Roma side stands alone as the most horrible team to watch, but Fener looked alright yesterday, albeit in an game easy to get up for and, maybe more crucially, against us.

I wish he'd put ethl in his place for kinda putting himself in the same league as Jose. I'd be very pissed if I'd achieved what he has and this numpty thinks he's the same level.
He didnt say that though.

Mourinho post Real: you love to have him in your league, you hate to have him as your manager.

That interview :lol:

Doesn't this prove the opposite of your point. He took over a team that lost 1 game all of last season, got 99 points in the league (3 behind Galatasaray, but 32 points ahead of the 3rd place team) and currently has them in 4th (2 points behind the third placed team with a game in hand tbf) with 17 points in 8 games i.e., already dropped 7 points this season 8 games in when they dropped 15 points all of last season.

Yup. Didn't even take a full season this time to create a mess. It appears that they'll end up further from the top than they were last season when he wasn't in charge.

Mourinho post Real: you love to have him in your league, you hate to have him as your manager.

That interview :lol:
I want to see him finally have enough at Fenerbahce and start demanding respect from turkish journalists by bringing up PL trophies which they don't give a feck about. Then he comes home, tries to to get himself an ice cream, and getting played by the ice cream man.

He had me in Stitches with his post match interview. Love him of hate him, he's pure gold!

@giorno I'm not sure I agree with him not getting on with Gen Z players though. I think certain people he just doesn't get on with anyway, but at Roma he had a good rapport with some of their younger players. If you scratch the surface, away from the media I think he's a good guy. I imagine though but fair with his players, and has a good sense of humour. I think his problems arise when people go against him or don't do as he's expecting, which is a different argument.
People aren't monoliths, so yes he can still get along with younger players. But his methods eventually wear them out. He was good at Roma for 2 seasons, and in his third he was a disaster. Which is the pattern of his career post Chelsea. The problem is, it's one thing to get the likes of Mancini, Pellegrini and Zalewski - people for whom being coached by José is the highlight of their existence - to buy in, quite another to get the Pogbas, Fabregas, etc, to do the same.
But last night he had a poor Fenerbahce team competing well with us. Not playing the typical 'Jose way'. He's won trophies at Roma, who thought the grass was greener and got a wake up call. He also, in hindsight, did remarkably well with us. I'd like to see how he got on with a top team, I'm convinced he's still got it.
He is still a good manager by any metric you care to look at. He's also not a top manager anymore, by any metric you care to look at. Roma, Fener, Olympique Lyon, Porto, these are his level now

OK I stand corrected re last season, for some reason I thought he'd been there a year already.

Competing with United in Europe is not really an achievement, let's be honest.