Joao Neves | signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
“ Amortization in accounting is a technique that is used to gradually write-down the cost of an intangible asset over its expected period of use or, in other words, useful life.” ?

With a lump sum you avoid the process entirely, no?

Nearly all deals are amortised? The appeal of getting the money in as a lump sum is what clubs would prefer, but is mostly impossible for clubs to pull off because of the balance sheet?

Happy to be educated if wrong.
Amortization is something you do for your own books. Yes, all deals are amortized but for your own accounting process. Nothing to do with the other club.

When you make a deal with a club you can either agree to a lump sump payment, i.e. you pay the entire amount in one go, or you can agree to a staggered payment plan, like how most of the deals are done. E.g. usually clubs (Sociedad is notorious for it) insist on paying the release clause in full if they do not want to sell the player. However, since we wanted to pay in installments we agreed a payment structure with Bologna even though we paid 2.5m Euros more than the release clause for Zirkzee. I don't know how many installments we agreed to but it can be two payments of 21.25m each or three payments of 14.16m each.

However, in the books the cost is usually amortized over the length of the first contact. So, in the books the amortized cost will be 8.5m euros per season.

Come on Ashworth /Berrada, if it's €60m plus 10m, hijack please. Sign any Dm on loan or a low fee/stop gap but please get this one also.

“ Amortization in accounting is a technique that is used to gradually write-down the cost of an intangible asset over its expected period of use or, in other words, useful life.” ?

Nearly all deals are amortised? The appeal of getting the money in as a lump sum is what clubs would prefer, but is mostly impossible for clubs to pull off because of the balance sheet?

No. You are mixing the value of an asset in the books and the cash flow, lump sums or installments are how money leaves/enters your account, when the amortization is the reflection of the value of the asset in your books. You still amortize the value of the asset during its useful life.

Lump sum or staggered payments/instalments are forms of payment / how you go about disbursement.

Amortisation is how you allocate the depreciation of the asset over time in your books regardless of whether you buy it lump sum or in instalments.

Yep cheers to all for the explanations. I meant to say installments not amortization. Thanks for the clarifications.

Come on Ashworth /Berrada, if it's €60m plus 10m, hijack please. Sign any Dm on loan or a low fee/stop gap but please get this one also.

Yeah especially if they are paying instalments as surely we could make the same kind of deal. Unfortunately if they are paying a significant amount upfront then not much we can do about it as not in a position to do it.

He's stuck in the Mbappeless PSG and French league forever now.

Shame he wasn't for sale next year, could have then made it our priority to sign him. Right player just was on the market at wrong time

You say that like it's a bad thing. Mbappe was a nightmare to balance around and nowhere worthy of what $$$ they invested in him during the 7 years. They might even look like a proper football team under Enrique now.

I don't know we can hijack a 70m move when the club seems reluctant (somewhat wisely) to put so much money upfront.
It's not getting us what we want (spend 40-50m max).

Maybe if PSG spunk a load of money on Desire Doue they’ll think twice about going for Neves as well. Just clutching at straws here, Neves is the signing I want.

Maybe if PSG spunk a load of money on Desire Doue they’ll think twice about going for Neves as well. Just clutching at straws here, Neves is the signing I want.
Yeah I’m sure the state backed club that just lost their star player is concerned about the financial aspect of signing two new stars :lol:

It's amazing how this thread is still so active as others despite there being next to nothing indicating that we're even considering him. He's a real muppets dream, I'll grant you, but this is a definitive ain't happening.

It's amazing how this thread is still so active as others despite there being next to nothing indicating that we're even considering him. He's a real muppets dream, I'll grant you, but this is a definitive ain't happening.
For me personally, this is the calibre of player we should be signing, so until the deal is closed with PSG, I'll hold hope we could intercept and entice him away, however improbable that may be. Muppeting is about the only time we get to dream these days... don't take that away from us too! You cruel, cruel person you!

If we were in for equivalent level players, this thread mightn't be as active, but we're not, linked with next rungs down as we are, who don't actually fully address our needs, ironically in the same way Neves is said not to.

For me personally, this is the calibre of player we should be signing, so until the deal is closed with PSG, I'll hold hope we could intercept and entice him away, however improbable that may be. Muppeting is about the only time we get to dream these days... don't take that away from us too! You cruel, cruel person you!

If we were in for equivalent level players, this thread mightn't be as active, but we're not, linked with next rungs down as we are, who don't actually fully address our needs, ironically in the same way Neves is said not to.
Neves is considered a generational talent and there no doubt in my mind we should be in for him. PSG are demanding 70 million euros for Ugarte and they are hoping to get close to that from us and add another £20m and get Neves from Benfica. As good as Ugarte is, he is not in Neves' league and he's 3 and a half years older. Just offer the extra £20m and a take a chance on getting Neves, unless he has indicated he doesn't want to come to United.

There were reports earlier in the summer that we had tried to go through Mendes with a 60m bid. We're definitely interested, it's just whether or not we can go for him now prior to offloading any of the unwanted ones after laying out that dosh on Yoro and Zirkzee. We should though. Ratcliffe loves to talk about creative solutions..

Neves is considered a generational talent and there no doubt in my mind we should be in for him. PSG are demanding 70 million euros for Ugarte and they are hoping to get close to that from us and add another £20m and get Neves from Benfica. As good as Ugarte is, he is not in Neves' league and he's 3 and a half years older. Just offer the extra £20m and a take a chance on getting Neves, unless he has indicated he doesn't want to come to United.
Cost and structure of the deal to get him might be what's stopping us. I'm with you in preferring we put more eggs in this basket, but we don't want to be hamstrung, given there's a possibility of three maybe even four more signings if things work out.

I'd go quality in fewer positions over quantity, but who knows what the club have in mind (assuming we could offer the kind of package needed to land him - agent fees; deal structure his club agree to; wages for the player that match what PSG will offer) considering that's superstar outlay as opposed to the normality of buying low profile players who carry no complexity or fanfare.

Cost and structure of the deal to get him might be what's stopping us. I'm with you in preferring we put more eggs in this basket, but we don't want to be hamstrung, given there's a possibility of three maybe even four more signings if things work out.

I'd go quality in fewer positions over quantity, but who knows what the club have in mind (assuming we could offer the kind of package needed to land him - agent fees; deal structure his club agree to; wages for the player that match what PSG will offer) considering that's superstar outlay as opposed to the normality of buying low profile players who carry no complexity or fanfare.
I want to agree with you because i like him but we have a lot of players coming to the end of their contracts, a lot of square pegs for round holes and a lot of young players that will take a couple of years to come good. I think we just need to fill gaps with decent quality - go for quantity over quality for a season.
Were placing a lot of bets on young players too. They all look good but it wouldn't be much of a shock for one or two to not kick on. Our plans and needs could be very different in a years time. I think we probably need a couple of older more experienced players in the mix at the moment.
It doesn't feel like a signing that really makes sense at the moment unfortunately.

There were reports earlier in the summer that we had tried to go through Mendes with a 60m bid. We're definitely interested, it's just whether or not we can go for him now prior to offloading any of the unwanted ones after laying out that dosh on Yoro and Zirkzee. We should though. Ratcliffe loves to talk about creative solutions..

He would need to get a different level of creativity to sign this guy in our financial state

I want to agree with you because i like him but we have a lot of players coming to the end of their contracts, a lot of square pegs for round holes and a lot of young players that will take a couple of years to come good. I think we just need to fill gaps with decent quality - go for quantity over quality for a season.
Were placing a lot of bets on young players too. They all look good but it wouldn't be much of a shock for one or two to not kick on. Our plans and needs could be very different in a years time. I think we probably need a couple of older more experienced players in the mix at the moment.
It doesn't feel like a signing that really makes sense at the moment unfortunately.
I understand this route and why it is a preference for some, but I value midfield as the most important area of a team, one that enables the other areas of the team to get away with being average.

Mostly, if you control midfield, the game is in your hands to win or lose, so for me, that's the aera of the pitch I would prioritise and seek the best in class in.

Outside of Neves, we've been linked with subpar midfielders who don't fix midfield (in the absolute sense) any better than he does whilst being quite significantly inferior players. It might look great in the short term to have such players, but the likelihood of they themselves needing to be ugraded upon at earliest convenience is a great deal higher than Neves, who is only just beginning his journey, but of the gate is a better footballer with the potential to become a superstar midfielder, it's not a difficult choice to make in lieu of losing out on one of the targets we'd otherwise be able to buy.

Neves and Kadioĝlu, would do me over 3 or 4 signings, personally.

It definitely makes much more sense to spend a bit extra on Neves, rather than trying to get a third striker for 40M in Ivan Toney.

I understand this route and why it is a preference for some, but I value midfield as the most important area of a team, one that enables the other areas of the team to get away with being average.

Mostly, if you control midfield, the game is in your hands to win or lose, so for me, that's the aera of the pitch I would prioritise and seek the best in class in.

Outside of Neves, we've been linked with subpar midfielders who don't fix midfield (in the absolute sense) any better than he does whilst being quite significantly inferior players. It might look great in the short term to have such players, but the likelihood of they themselves needing to be ugraded upon at earliest convenience is a great deal higher than Neves, who is only just beginning his journey, but of the gate is a better footballer with the potential to become a superstar midfielder, it's not a difficult choice to make in lieu of losing out on one of the targets we'd otherwise be able to buy.

Neves and Kadioĝlu, would do me over 3 or 4 signings, personally.
Would agree with you if Neves was 1/2 years further into his development, but I feel like it's too soon for him. I personally think he's even behind Mainoo in terms of where he is in his development. If he plays he'd have to rotate with him which leaves us severely behind in quality for the third midfielder spot.

And I feel like Neves is that one player we've been linked to this summer, who can actually take this team up another level, based on his ceiling. We NEED a player of his profile, and they dont come around too often. We will regret it for years, if we miss out, specially on the 60-65M price he will be moving.

Another CB, another DM, they can all be got next summer too. Resign Amrabat/Rabiot for cheap, get a FB, and go all out for Neves.

Would agree with you if Neves was 1/2 years further into his development, but I feel like it's too soon for him. I personally think he's even behind Mainoo in terms of where he is in his development. If he plays he'd have to rotate with him which leaves us severely behind in quality for the third midfielder spot.
How have you reached that conclusion? As I would say the opposite in terms of physical development, as in, Neves is more what he’ll end up being as a physical entity than Mainoo is, by some distance - he has stamina for days, and actually a big concern with someone like him, who his incessantly terrier-like, is people forgetting their age and overplaying them or expecting them to play out a full campaign like a fully grown man would.

Rotation over such a long campaign is a must, but that’s an issue in midfield no matter what, if we’re only bringing in one midfielder instead of two. Amrabat may even be the pawn in the instance that we can get in our desired targets due to us then having no money left.

Neves, and Amrabat as the tag-along, I’d be extremely happy with, for example.

Bottom line for me is that midfield won’t be fixed in a single window, but bringing in someone like Neves raises our quality so much more than any of the other midfielders we’ve been linked to. As I said in a previous post “Neves” is essentially a catch all for a potentially elite midfielder, and if we were linked to more of his class, he himself wouldn’t be such an important figure in and of itself. Right now it seems like if not Neves, we’ll buy two levels down, and for me, that’s the real issue over Neves himself.

How have you reached that conclusion? As I would say the opposite in terms of physical development, as in, Neves is more what he’ll end up being as a physical entity than Mainoo is, by some distance - he has stamina for days, and actually a big concern with someone like him, who his incessantly terrier-like, is people forgetting their age and overplaying them or expecting them to play out a full campaign like a fully grown man would.

Rotation over such a long campaign is a must, but that’s an issue in midfield no matter what, if we’re only bringing in one midfielder instead of two. Amrabat may even be the pawn in the instance that we can get in our desired targets due to us then having no money left.

Bottom line for me is that midfield won’t be fixed in a single window, but bringing in someone like Neves raises our quality so much more than any of the other midfielders we’ve been linked to. As I said in a previous post “Neves” is essentially a catch all for a potentially elite midfielder, and if we were linked to more of his class, he himself wouldn’t be such an important figure in and of itself. Right now it seems like if not Neves, we’ll buy two levels down, and for me, that’s the real issue over Neves himself.
I agree. I think you'll struggle to find a profile like his next window that wouldn't need the touted "release clause" type bid. This is an opportunity to get a serious talent, at a palatable price. Also, if we're all in agreement it will be a couple of years before we're challenging for titles, why not prepare our midfield for that?

And I feel like Neves is that one player we've been linked to this summer, who can actually take this team up another level, based on his ceiling. We NEED a player of his profile, and they dont come around too often. We will regret it for years, if we miss out, specially on the 60-65M price he will be moving.

Another CB, another DM, they can all be got next summer too. Resign Amrabat/Rabiot for cheap, get a FB, and go all out for Neves.
People used to say the same about Sancho and Pogba too.

Watching him every week! I'm Portuguese and a Benfiquista, aha!

So I don't mean only in terms of his physical development but that along with his game management and experience. Neves has about 1.5 seasons of first team football under his belt, although that's more than Mainoo, it's in a much more inferior league. Imo he still needs more time to develop and United cannot afford to have both Mainoo and Neves in this development stage. If Ugarte (or a more experienced destroyer of starting quality) was bought along with Neves, I would be all in for it.

I agree with your point that the midfield can't really be fixed in one window, and Neves is by far the better player (in potential at least), however, I think a player like Ugarte fixes more than Neves at this stage and that's what United should be aiming for.

And talking about the price, from what I've read so far at least it looks like 80m is what it's going to be settled at, some rumors of Renato going the other way but I don't believe that. There's no way he's going for anything below that. Don't see how United can fork out that much money given how a CB, Full Back and 2 midfielders are still required for the team.

I agree. I think you'll struggle to find a profile like his next window that wouldn't need the touted "release clause" type bid. This is an opportunity to get a serious talent, at a palatable price. Also, if we're all in agreement it will be a couple of years before we're challenging for titles, why not prepare our midfield for that?
I think there’s a more indifference to a so-called elite talent under the assumption another will come along next summer, anyway. That may be so, it may also fail to be the case. The problem is, will we have as clear an opportunity to land said talent? Will other big clubs be seeking to upgrade or replace what they have?

Neves is a good opportunity to take on an elite talent without much interference. His profile and skillset suits as well as the game he has. Effortless one and two touch football, aggressive, tenacious, indefatigable, able ball carrier, press resistant, solid passer… it’s a profile we’ve needed for years, so it’s not the run of the mill passover.

And as you’ve said, the age profile also suits as by the time we’re ready to challenge, he’s what? 22, 23?

Pah!
Does that mean we should stop pursuing elite talent? We’ve just purchased Yoro for the same reason, would you say that’s a bad thing?
Watching him every week! I'm Portuguese and a Benfiquista, aha!

So I don't mean only in terms of his physical development but that along with his game management and experience. Neves has about 1.5 seasons of first team football under his belt, although that's more than Mainoo, it's in a much more inferior league. Imo he still needs more time to develop and United cannot afford to have both Mainoo and Neves in this development stage. If Ugarte (or a more experienced destroyer of starting quality) was bought along with Neves, I would be all in for it.

I agree with your point that the midfield can't really be fixed in one window, and Neves is by far the better player (in potential at least), however, I think a player like Ugarte fixes more than Neves at this stage and that's what United should be aiming for.

And talking about the price, from what I've read so far at least it looks like 80m is what it's going to be settled at, some rumors of Renato going the other way but I don't believe that. There's no way he's going for anything below that. Don't see how United can fork out that much money given how a CB, Full Back and 2 midfielders are still required for the team.
Our squad is of a poor age profile across the board, but you have to hope the likes of Martinez and Bruno can be leading lights in terms of guidance and instruction. I would have added Casemiro to that mix too, normally.

Ugarte doesn’t know the PL, nor do any of the players we’ve been linked to in midfield. A period of adjustment could be on the cards for any of them, and in that sense, it might actually be the younger ones who adapt quicker given their footballing brain and mindset is more malleable and inviting of change and new ideas (which is why the likes of LVG loves working with youngsters as they are more likely to take on board ideas without objecting). I would also say the reason why kids are labelled prodigious is because their ability to process and adapt is unbelievable (see Mainoo coming straight into adult football and looking like he was an experienced pro) so I wouldn’t worry about him in that regard, personally.

But yeah, price as a package makes this a pipe dream unfortunately. I don’t think we will go back in for him, especially with a state club as a rival for the signature.

Every day it feels even less likely that there's even an outside chance we could seek to hijack PSGs bid. Sigh, back to the Ugarte thread!

Every day it feels even less likely that there's even an outside chance we could seek to hijack PSGs bid. Sigh, back to the Ugarte thread!

I've been puzzled by how active this thread is really, given how little we're actually linked to him. It's not really seemed on for ages? A lot of wishful thinking and blind hope.

I've been puzzled by how active this thread is really, given how little we're actually linked to him. It's not really seemed on for ages? A lot of wishful thinking and blind hope.
The late surge for Zirkzee and Yoro when they seemed like they were off to AC and Real gives some hope. We are clearly interested in him (or were interested). But with less money available it seems very unlikely now

The late surge for Zirkzee and Yoro when they seemed like they were off to AC and Real gives some hope. We are clearly interested in him (or were interested). But with less money available it seems very unlikely now

Yeah we have done our miracle deal this window, if we hadn't pissed away £115m on Antony & Van De Beek then would have signed him too. Instead we are forced to see him join PSG because we are skint.

Yeah we have done our miracle deal this window, if we hadn't pissed away £115m on Antony & Van De Beek then would have signed him too. Instead we are forced to see him join PSG because we are skint.
No need to look that far back, we spent 70M on Mount+Amrabat last season. Could have used that 70M for Neves instead. And this is no hindsight either, 80% of the forum was against the Mount signing, except folks who said he ticked some theoretical boxes like young, english, midfielder etc :lol:

Pogba was one of our best players. Not his fault he was surrounded by crap midfielders. He suffered from injuries and letting his agent (probably through his instruction) pissing United fans off.

Even the Sancho one made a lot of sense. He had everything in his locker, unlike Antony. Problem is, looking back on it, you could question his hunger for the game. I don't think Neves has that problem. He seems to be praised as having an elite mentality.

No need to look that far back, we spent 70M on Mount+Amrabat last season. Could have used that 70M for Neves instead. And this is no hindsight either, 80% of the forum was against the Mount signing, except folks who said he ticked some theoretical boxes like young, english, midfielder etc :lol:

I am prepared to give Mount another season to prove me wrong but wasn't a high priority whatsoever. I will give you that we should have been able to find a cheaper option but clearly no backup plan.

our midfield quality overall is poor....this area has to be the main priority to upgrade. if we continue to lose the midfield battle in matches against the top sides, we won't stand a chance of winning matches. It's also why we struggle to score and we give up so many shots simply because we dont keep the ball well and we don't have the legs defensively. one can argue possibly that it's personnel and one can argue it could be tactical but the glaring need is a massive midfield upgrade.

Neves and Kobbie would be brilliant together and if PSG are going to demand 70m for Ugarte, we would be better served to see what we could negotiate for Neves who is a much more polished CM

the midfield is the heart of the team who controls the flow of a match and that has to be the top priority having gotten Yoro sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.