Jean-Clair Todibo

croadyman

I don't know if Inácio is good enough for United. He has been evolving in a secure, steady pace though. He is now part of Martinez choices for the Portuguese national team and there were rumors Newcastle was after him but it failed to materialize.

Inacio is a very good ball playing CB (Amorim is experimenting him in midfield) but he needs a physically imposing CB next to him (either Coates or Diomande). Although he can hold his own, aerial game isn't his specialty. Martinez and Inácio wouldn't work.
Yeah those two definitely wouldn't work if he does need that physical CB to partner him

jeepers

Urgh now I cannot understand it
Just accept that our club is ran like absolute piss under the Glazers. We are fortunate that they even backed EtH with what seems like his first choice signings. Things seem improved with Murtough.

Inacio has been linked fleetingly in the past. I haven't seen enough of him to judge, but potentially could be an option.
The Portuguese defenders will cost big big money for sure - Inacio and Antonio Silva.

jeepers

Yeah those two definitely wouldn't work if he does need that physical CB to partner him
I don't know if Inácio is good enough for United. He has been evolving in a secure, steady pace though. He is now part of Martinez choices for the Portuguese national team and there were rumors Newcastle was after him but it failed to materialize.

Inacio is a very good ball playing CB (Amorim is experimenting him in midfield) but he needs a physically imposing CB next to him (either Coates or Diomande). Although he can hold his own, aerial game isn't his specialty. Martinez and Inácio wouldn't work.
They are both lefties so EtH will not play them together anyway.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The Portuguese defenders will cost big big money for sure - Inacio and Antonio Silva.
I think Inácio doesn't fit United's team requirements at the moment due to the existing CBs in my opinion. Inácio would be more suited for a team like City but they got Gvardiol, so no chance there.

Mainoldo

Striker or more of a wide forward
All 3. Ideally Kane but that’s not happening. So someone who can cover the right and upfront. But I think by this week we might have an additional for that position anyway.

But I feel we need someone long them lines.

croadyman

All 3. Ideally Kane but that’s not happening. So someone who can cover the right and upfront. But I think by this week we might have an additional for that position anyway.

But I feel we need someone long them lines.
Greenwood return do you mean?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Muppetiers suggesting we may go for Inacio if Maguire goes, use Lindelof on the right and get a left footer.

Withnail

They are both lefties so EtH will not play them together anyway.
Thats a good point. This is also why it doesn't make any sense for us to be in for Todibo. Martinez is the only left-footed CB in the squad, isn't he?

We don't need to replace Maguire. We have Varane, Evans and Lindelof. We need a left-footed back up to Martinez who's name isn't Luke Shaw.

Remember the geese

Thanks for the details on his game. I was thinking of him as purely a deputy for Martinez, so his possible weakness aeriely wouldn't be so much of an issue alongside Varane or his long term replacement.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Maybe we see Mainoo as like Lavia
Perhaps, but then what is the purpose of Amrabat? It’s not as if we are saying ‘we are not after a backup DM because we have Mainoo’. I’d be fine with that. But if we are buying a DM, I’d personally have preferred Lavia. He looks top class, and a player who should be alongside Mainoo in our future midfield, not contesting him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Not sure why we would do that when we have Shaw. You'd also ideally think a young CB brought in at this time should be looking at Varane as the replacement than Licha.
We don't need one we have Lindelof. We don't have a left-footed CB other then Martinez. Shaw is a LB.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The problem is also that Inácio would be very expensive for a backup CB. I think United has more pressing needs.

OrcaFat

Kmj is right footed. He was used as a left center back with Spaletti but he can play as a right center back.
It’s one reason he would have been such a good signing. Could have provided competition for both spots. We’d have had three very good CBs all of whom would have got plenty of games. Kim would have, I guess, regularly out-competed Varane at RCB by the end of the year. Varane would still have a part to play without us being so desperately reliant on him at RCB.

BUT there must be others. Don’t know jack about Tobido, mind.

BuzzKillington

I think going with 4 CB’s next season is a bit of a risk, but I’d personally go for it. Varane, Licha, Lindelof and Shaw is fine. No need to be wasting money on players like Todibo to sit on the bench and underwhelm when he does play. Use any money earmarked for this towards an upgrade on Amrabat. I’d rather get one good player than two mediocre squad fillers. Use some of the academy lads for the filler positions.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Perhaps, but then what is the purpose of Amrabat? It’s not as if we are saying ‘we are not after a backup DM because we have Mainoo’. I’d be fine with that. But if we are buying a DM, I’d personally have preferred Lavia. He looks top class, and a player who should be alongside Mainoo in our future midfield, not contesting him.
Agree to be honest, but I think the issue is the cost. Southampton rejected 45m today from Liverpool.
If we were to sell Fred, McTominay and VDB, I would not rule out both Amrabat and Lavia coming in

OrcaFat

I think going with 4 CB’s next season is a bit of a risk, but I’d personally go for it. Varane, Licha, Lindelof and Shaw is fine. No need to be wasting money on players like Todibo to sit on the bench and underwhelm when he does play. Use any money earmarked for this towards an upgrade on Amrabat. I’d rather get one good player than two mediocre squad fillers. Use some of the academy lads for the filler positions.
I don’t know. You’re not alone thinking Lindelof is fine but I don’t rate him, he’s just a nothing player to me. No way he ever puts pressure on Varane or Licha, he’s not in the same league. Shaw is our LB, we can’t have him competing for CB.

Amrabat is not a mediocre benchwarmer he’s the right player. We don’t need to spend an extra £30m on someone else, we need Amrabat, lucky for us he’s inexpensive.

I said before I have no clue about Todibo but I’d like to get an upgrade on Lindelof, whoever that might be.

AneRu

Not with Varane's fitness issues, if he breaks down for a significant period of time you are looking at playing Lindelof with no legitimate cover. That's a potential season derailer right there, what if he too gets injured or suspended? We definitely need a young right sided CB to come in if we sell Maguire.

Amrabat is the right player to bring in, if he underwhelms when he gets the chance then we just limit his gametime to absolutely necessary but if he succeeds we have replaced Casemiro whilst he is still more than serviceable thus we prolong his career by managing his minutes.

RedStarUnited

Jesus, how many CBs do you want!!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Would love him as a new CB to replace Maguire. CBs take time to step up, what's important is that he was highly rated for a while, and has recovered even after a wobble. Perfect age to compliment our CB group too. A window where we get him to add to hojlund, Onana, mount is insanely good stuff. Add amrabat or lavia even to replace the 3 mids and that becomes the dream window that none of us could have expected. Next summer replace Martial and a RB and that's a hell of a squad, both current ability and long term.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Good to know that he is progressing nicely. I'd see him as a possible deputy for Martinez but perhaps he wouldn't be happy with such a limited role.
I think he's too good to be back up and would also be costly. I would personally rely on Martinez with Shaw as cover in the LCB role and bring in Todibo who has the fundamentals for a high risk approach to playing the game. I don't think we can rely on Varane, so Todibo would be a good rotation option imo.

TsuWave

3 pages no youtube compilation yet? we're losing recipes

anyway, to save the thread:

Remember the geese

I think he's too good to be back up and would also be costly. I would personally rely on Martinez with Shaw as cover in the LCB role and bring in Todibo who has the fundamentals for a high risk approach to playing the game. I don't think we can rely on Varane, so Todibo would be a good rotation option imo.
Shaw is decent cover for Martinez. It's just unfortunate that moving him to centre back weakens us at left back. Especially when considering that our right backs are sub optimal. I'm not against Todibo, though I'm unsure if he is the answer as our long term successor to Varane or whether he is simply decent competition.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What does the lack of carrying mean?
Does he not like to step into midfield?
There isn't really anything wrong with his carrying/dribbling. It's just that he plays next to 39 year old Dante and defending the channel or space in-behind is more of a requirement.

Below is one example when he was 19 of his ability to resist the press and progress play via a carry/dribble.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Shaw is decent cover for Martinez. It's just unfortunate that moving him to centre back weakens us at left back. Especially when considering that our right backs are sub optimal. I'm not against Todibo, though I'm unsure if he is the answer as our long term successor to Varane or whether he is simply decent competition.
I would prefer someone like a Ousmane Diomande next year. But if we can sign Todibo now for a reasonable price, then I think it's potentially a good deal and at 23 years old he has the attributes that can be developed further.

Remember the geese

I would prefer someone like a Ousmane Diomande next year. But if we can sign Todibo now for a reasonable price, then I think it's potentially a good deal and at 23 years old he has the attributes that can be developed further.
Agreed that Diomande would be ideal or at least someone with a similar profile and potential. I'm not against Todibo for now. He seems to be good in possession and fairly quick.