Jarrad Branthwaite

He didn’t even make the England squad did he? If he had a great season for Everton this year then surely he’d have been in the euros squad.

It won't be 70 million. It'll be 35 plus 5-10 in add ons or it won't happen at all.

Everton desperate for money right now and its early in the window so they're naturally going to set a high price
You must be mad if you think we’re signing him for around 35m. He’s only 21 and they’ll want over 50 for him at least. Especially if we’re interested. We always get charged 3x more than any other club because teams know we’re silly and will pay it

You must be mad if you think we’re signing him for around 35m. He’s only 21 and they’ll want over 50 for him at least. Especially if we’re interested. We always get charged 3x more than any other club because teams know we’re silly and will pay it

That era is gone, well crosses fingers it is. Also just out of need for other signings we won't.

No chance. Dalot is among the best right-backs and most versatile players in the world. I would prefer to replace Shaw with Alex Grimaldo due to his poor injury record.
Frimpong has 14 goals and 12 assists and is among the top three right backs in the world with hakimi and dumfires.

Our right flank would be immensely improved by him.

Dalot :lol:

Frimpong has 14 goals and 12 assists and is among the top three right backs in the world with hakimi and dumfires.

Frimpong isn't a RB though, he was essentially a winger last season. If we signed him we'd have to change formation. He wouldn't be anywhere near as affective in a back 4 with us.

Branthwaite for 90m and that's our summer done.

No rush for next season is there! Enjoy the calm!

Is that the same Dumfries that lost his place to a 34 year old Darmian?! You read some shite on here.

Frimpong was deemed not good enough on here when we were linked to him last summer :lol:

Fair point but he seems to have played RCB for PSV (appreciate if Eredivisie watchers can confirm)

e.g., https://fbref.com/en/matches/bef7e214/PSV-Eindhoven-Volendam-August-31-2022-Eredivisie

Maybe he's one of those freak two footed players that this doesn't apply to. Looked at the stats in eredivisie and the passing doesn't look half as bad either. https://fbref.com/en/players/c1949191/scout/11629/Jarrad-Branthwaite-Scouting-Report

Ok I'm giving up on Olise and camping in this thread now.

That's fine, I'm not disputing Branthwaite can't play on either side as I wasn't even talking about him. I've barely watched him play so I don't really have a strong opinion on his ability. I'm just saying where/which side you play on a pitch can matter to some players.

Being capable doesn't mean can do the/their best there.

I think this make senses in the 'grand scheme of things' but on a granular scale, it probably does help with (an arbitrary figure like) 1% difference and that 1% probably matters at this level.

I can imagine if you've played the majority of your career on 'one side' then adjusting to another part of the pitch will affect e.g how you receive the ball, how you open your body up, what's your natural peripheral vision/eyeline sight, what's your stronger standing foot, how do you shield a player going down the channel and your sensibility for looking over your shoulder etc. It really depends on the player but all in all, I do think there's a reasonable deduction to say 'he can play on the xyz side but is he the most natural, comfortable and/or experienced at it?'.

I know it's a different proposition but it's like looking at wingers and fullbacks and seeing how comfortable they perform their roles on the other side. It's not really that straight forward.

Overall though, agree on the bolded.

Out of context/for shits and giggles: I usually play at the back in defence in 5/6/7 aside and for some reason, I'm most comfortable receiving the ball on the left but I'm best shielding players down the line on the right :lol:

Yeah don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing it entirely. Just saying it's gone overboard in the modern era of tacticos and obsessions with build up structure to the point where apparently our manager didn't have a single decent back up plan for how to build out of the back without his ball playing left footed CB. And fans are immediately dismissing certain targets because "they play on the right/left and we don't need two that play on the same side" while I watched Madrid just stomp through an entire season playing Tchoumeini and Nacho as LCB's when neither are left footed or used to it beforehand.

Personally, I prefer Dalot over Frimpong. Dalot's Premier League experience, versatility and proven ability to contribute both defensively and offensively in the Premier League makes him a more dependable choice for United's squad needs.

Do you think Frimpong can score 14 goals in the Premier League? Sancho scored 16 goals and 20 assists in his final Bundesliga season. Premier League presents a higher level of competition and challenges compared to the Bundesliga

If we get Frimpong I don't see the point of AWB in the squad and not Dalot, but RB is not high priority for this summer. What do you think of my suggestion to replace Shaw with Alex Grimaldo?

Even according to Leverkusen fans, Frimpong was mostly a winger last season with those stats. He even played right winger in his last two Netherlands appearances this past week iirc. He seems to be an incredible attacking player but there are probably some legit questions about whether you can get the best out of him in an orthodox back four. In the original post's back five formation, then I'd assume he could work very well but as already mentioned, ETH would have to change formation, which would be quite a big shift from what we've seen the past 24 months.

His omission from the Euro squad is something I agree with Southgate. He'd be a dreadful signing for anything more than 40M. I hope he's just a decoy.

Yeah don't get me wrong I'm not dismissing it entirely. Just saying it's gone overboard in the modern era of tacticos and obsessions with build up structure to the point where apparently our manager didn't have a single decent back up plan for how to build out of the back without his ball playing left footed CB. And fans are immediately dismissing certain targets because "they play on the right/left and we don't need two that play on the same side" while I watched Madrid just stomp through an entire season playing Tchoumeini and Nacho as LCB's when neither are left footed or used to it beforehand.

Oh yeah, ETH's excuses about the injuries affecting our performances and style of play speaks more about his coaching/stubbornness than the actual players missing out or the ones on the pitch. I'd like to think after this summer, we can get closer to a squad full of Martinez's, Mainoos, Hojlunds and Dalots where we can see a type of football that has a good bottom level to move forward.

Was not impressed at all in the few matches I have seen him play. I really hope we know what we are doing here.

Wow sounds like it may happen :devil:

Tall, fast, physical and can play ball. On paper sounds like a good partner for Martinez.