Jannik Vestergaard

See, this is the sort of informed opinion I was after!

Well, there is plenty more where that came from. As an informed Dane, I can say that he is not an improvement on anything we currently have. He isn't even good enough to start for the national team, when everyone is fit.

Well, there is plenty more where that came from. As an informed Dane, I can say that he is not an improvement on anything we currently have. He isn't even good enough to start for the national team, when everyone is fit.
On current form he ought to be. Zanka, Christensen and Kjær isn't exactly insurmountable competition. Things move slower on the national team though, especially in defence. Unless you can fill an obvious gap or are a Daniel Agger level talent, the route into the starting lineup tends to be a slow one.

On current form he ought to be. Zanka, Christensen and Kjær isn't exactly insurmountable competition. Things move slower on the national team though, especially in defence. Unless you can fill an obvious gap or are a Daniel Agger level talent, the route into the starting lineup tends to be a slow one.

Kjær is a really good and experienced defender and captains the side, so Vestergaard obviously won't knock him out of the team. You could certainly argue that he is ahead of Christensen at the moment, since he has fallen out of favor at Chelsea. If both were match fit, I would still go with Christensen, since he has a bit more pace and quality on the ball.

How much of this recent Vestergaard hype is down to him getting a few goals, though? He was at fault for two of our goals against them, and almost cost another when Greenwood went through. Granted I haven't seen that much of Southampton, but I just don't see it with him.

I dont get it vestergaard, Grealish, Ward Prowse - even Hojberg for Spurs, these are players that could have been targeted about 5 years ago and are being talked about now.

Feels like these players have been here for ages.

Makes you wonder if we have a crap scouting system, a Crap/no DOF, these players are actually good or these players are just suddenly overrated because of a manager bringing the best out of them like hussenhuntl has.

He's one of the strongest CBs in the air in the league. 3 goals with his head so far and wins everything in the air defensively. Confident on the ball can play a pass

So he'd be more of a Maguire replacement than compliment him

I dont get it vestergaard, Grealish, Ward Prowse - even Hojberg for Spurs, these are players that could have been targeted about 5 years ago and are being talked about now.

Feels like these players have been here for ages.

Makes you wonder if we have a crap scouting system, a Crap/no DOF, these players are actually good or these players are just suddenly overrated because of a manager bringing the best out of them like hussenhuntl has.

If we bought them 5 years ago we'd have had several years of development performances from them where they might not be in the team. Look at someone like Zaha who didnt get a lot of chances, got frustrated and left but for the past couple of years if we'd had that Zaha he would have made it and stayed at the club. So a lot of the time its also about timing. Some players only get to the required levels at 25, 26, 28 etc and maybe their 2nd chance at a big club. Other players get signed young and are instantly able to perform at a level where they should be in the team week by week

Vestergaard is 28. If we signed him even at 25 would he have made it? Maybe not.

One thing I'll say for sure though, Spurs signed Hojbjerg at the right moment and no wonder Mourinho was delighted to get him. Spurs now have the best defensive record and sit on top of the table with him coming in at DM

So I think thats an example of the key to this. Spurs found the right moment to sign him for a bit of money where hes going to come in, improve them and look like money very well spent. Same with Ward-Prowse perhaps if we had signed him in the summer. Vestergaard is one that is coming into his own now so its hard to blame us for not signing him already... The other clubs didnt either.

And it's three different managers who have favoured others than him as well.
I agree the competition isn't that impressive but here we are. There's also Joachim Andersen at Fulham now who seems to be finding a bit of form.

I agree the competition isn't that impressive but here we are. There's also Joachim Andersen at Fulham now who seems to be finding a bit of form.

He hasnt looked good so far for Fulham

He hasnt looked good so far for Fulham
Oh I thought he had been doing quite well since Parker made him captain after just a few games and with him being on loan and everything.

Kjær is a really good and experienced defender and captains the side, so Vestergaard obviously won't knock him out of the team. You could certainly argue that he is ahead of Christensen at the moment, since he has fallen out of favor at Chelsea. If both were match fit, I would still go with Christensen, since he has a bit more pace and quality on the ball.

How much of this recent Vestergaard hype is down to him getting a few goals, though? He was at fault for two of our goals against them, and almost cost another when Greenwood went through. Granted I haven't seen that much of Southampton, but I just don't see it with him.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. I'm always amazed at how people over rate defenders as soon as they score a few goals. Vermaelen comes to mind. I remember that one season with Arsenal where he scored quite a few and got into the team of the season despite him being an average defender. And don't get me started on Ramos :lol: :lol: :lol:

If we bought them 5 years ago we'd have had several years of development performances from them where they might not be in the team. Look at someone like Zaha who didnt get a lot of chances, got frustrated and left but for the past couple of years if we'd had that Zaha he would have made it and stayed at the club. So a lot of the time its also about timing. Some players only get to the required levels at 25, 26, 28 etc and maybe their 2nd chance at a big club. Other players get signed young and are instantly able to perform at a level where they should be in the team week by week

Vestergaard is 28. If we signed him even at 25 would he have made it? Maybe not.

One thing I'll say for sure though, Spurs signed Hojbjerg at the right moment and no wonder Mourinho was delighted to get him. Spurs now have the best defensive record and sit on top of the table with him coming in at DM

So I think thats an example of the key to this. Spurs found the right moment to sign him for a bit of money where hes going to come in, improve them and look like money very well spent. Same with Ward-Prowse perhaps if we had signed him in the summer. Vestergaard is one that is coming into his own now so its hard to blame us for not signing him already... The other clubs didnt either.

Yeah that makes sense but time isnt going to be perfect for every human being in the world.

Ultimately we are a football company so time has to be moulded to suit us the best and to get the best out our players and our needs.

I'm not going to go to deep in to it because it's been over talked about but personally I think our problem during the SAF time was that SAF acted alot like a DOF. It was all good and nice then because SAF was successful and was able to change his assistant manager to change his tactics every couple of years but what happened when he left?

We had managers in my opinion continuing with a free role half as a DOF, targeting who they want, selling who they want etc.
We had a manager like Van Gaal selling every player at the club good and bad (including Zaha whether it was his right time or not, buying darmian) three years later turning in to a manager like Jose who wouldn't give a crap about players like Rashford, Gomes, Greenwood and prefers Lukaku, Sanchez and Willian. Now we have a manager like Ole whilst even if his tactics are not the best I feel he has addressed the DOF aspect of management because he knew it was needed at United due to him being an ex player under SAF.

I say this because some of these players have been here for absolute ages but there has been no significant plan at the club to choose players for the club and for their manager rather than have new managers choose their players for the club as they wish which is just irritating and a poor club choice.

You hit the nail on the head with that comment. I'm always amazed at how people over rate defenders as soon as they score a few goals. Vermaelen comes to mind. I remember that one season with Arsenal where he scored quite a few and got into the team of the season despite him being an average defender. And don't get me started on Ramos :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very cool and edgy of you, but Vermaelen was an excellent defender before he was destroyed by injury and Ramos would walk into any side in the world at his peak.

Last edited:
I am not hyping him all that much. I don't think he will raise the level of a top team anywhere. But he could be good enough to play a part for one. I wouldn't mind seeing him as 4th choice for us (which would make him a regular until march when VVD comes back - but with gomez and matip ahead, that still means more games than most 4th choice centrebacks). And I think he'd give proper competition for Lindelof. Might be a new Rene Henriksen for all we know.

Reckon you should be setting your sights on centrebacks better than Maguire, rather than competition for Lindelof though.

I am not hyping him all that much. I don't think he will raise the level of a top team anywhere. But he could be good enough to play a part for one. I wouldn't mind seeing him as 4th choice for us (which would make him a regular until march when VVD comes back - but with gomez and matip ahead, that still means more games than most 4th choice centrebacks). And I think he'd give proper competition for Lindelof. Might be a new Rene Henriksen for all we know.

Reckon you should be setting your sights on centrebacks better than Maguire, rather than competition for Lindelof though.
I'm not saying you're hyping him.
I don't think we're in a position to go shopping for back up centre backs. We should rather be looking at someone who would be a definite upgrade or someone with the potential to be one.

What a wonderfully random player to bring up :lol:

What a wonderfully random player to bring up :lol:
Danish centreback who was nobody until he suddenly became a proper class player in his late 20s out of nowhere. Not that random.

Not random to bring him up at all. When it comes to CBs in the premier league this season, he's been the revelation so far

Very cool and edgy of you, but Vermaelen was an excellent defender before he was destroyed by injury and Ramos would walk into any side in the world at his peak.

Cool and edgy? Ok!?!? And neither would be on my list. Both were massively over rated in the most important area. Defending...

He’s doing well. he’s at his peak age.I could see wolves or Liverpool picking him up and him just taking to it big time for the next few years but I really don’t think we need him. he wouldn’t be a bad shout for Liverpool in January if they could get him for sensible money.

Last edited:
Impressive diagonal passes. 2-3 of them in first half. Precisely and land where he want it.

Look like Van Dijk clone and twin. Maybe Van Dijk unknown sibling.

A dominant CB. Has a dominance presence. A Giant and Danish. Lead and dictate from the deep. A leader.

Got a friend who's a huge fan of Gladbach. He never rated him

I wasn’t 100 convince that Van Dijk was a top and world class at Southampton too. But joining a top team in Liverpool. It might help some, to show his max level. With a lot better teammates.

About Vestergaard. I just get close to him this season. Because of the fantasy premier league. Bought him for 4.5. Now 4.9.

But again. Personally for me. Cup if tea. Right now. For me. Its first a big signing De Ligt, and this guy.

In other words. If both Maguire and Lindelof are not at United yet. I would go for both of them.
I have always prior the art of defeding first. Skill and basic of the defending first. Then if he is really good with the ball too. It’s a big plus. But not the most important skill. Reason why the calling a defend. Not a midfield or attack. They are defending theirs goal and goalkeeper.

What a strike. He is a baller. Can more than defend. A confidence cb on the ball.

Dictating as a cb playmaker...against City. Most of the time his teammates gave the ball to him?Why?Because they are not confidence on the ball. The Vestergaard taking responsibility to spread the passes around.

I would love to see those precise diagonal and trough passes to Greenwood and United RW/CF.
A precise pass run faster than a player with the ball running.

He is a baller. Isn’t he a CB?The guy is really good with ball. High confidence with the ball at his feet.

Sign him in January Ole. Just heard Mourinho might need a CB too.

Bailly/Mengi/Tuanzebe - Maguire/Vestergaard

Vestergaard to rotate with Maguire = strong squad depth

I doubt we will be able to get anyone from teams like Soton, Villa, Everton and the likes when they are doing well. The players may not wish to come here.

I was glad to see the back of him when he left Bremen. Yes, he is very good in the air but he had the terrible tendency to head the ball into opposition's feet under no pressure. Also, his positioning was very suspect. Haven't really followed him since but if he managed to iron out his flaws there is a good player in there as he has all the tools a good CB needs nowadays.

:lol:

@LuckyScout78 It’s a new year, come clean with us! Rather than a scout, you’re an agent, aren’t you? LuckyAgent78. And you represent Jannik Vestergaard and Kristoffer Olsson, don’t you? :drool:

Got a friend who's a huge fan of Gladbach. He never rated him
He was playing for Bremen a few years back and he was absolutely diabolical. He seems to have gotten better or the system Southampton plays works in his favour.

If we didn't have Maguire I'd buy him, he's class. Not sure they'd be a good partnership though, might be worth a punt if he's cheap - only 18 months left on his contract I think so who knows.