Jadon Sancho (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideally they make up and somehow move on but it’s incredibly unlikely at this point now. In a parallel universe Antony and Sancho are just coming into their best form for us and we are snapping at arsenals heels. It’s a bummer the way it turned out. He was one of the best young players in the world, certainly the best one we could have gotten at the time. His profile should have been perfect for PL football seeing as he came through in this country and he had friends in the squad. He just seem to not have the desire to make it work at Utd. You’d often see players saying they regretted not working hard enough here under Fergie becasue their careers went nowhere major after but we don’t hear that much at all anymore. Players seem relived to leave here more often than not. In this case I totally back the manger but wonder what could have been.
They leave here saturated with money and huge media following these days.

I suppose this is more a question for the transfer forum. I dont think Malen is a starter for the Netherlands. Also, this was Dortmund fan @do.ob's view of Malen back in September:

Malen does have a knack of scoring goals, which is of course the most serious gap United have right now. But you'd have to wonder if he'd be able to get into goalscoring positions enough in the EPL - especially if he's brought in mid-year to have an instant impact, and probably would rather need some time to acclimatize.

I suppose if would make some sense for United though, since the squad is clearly short on RW (assuming Rashford is still rather preferred for LW, competing with Garnacho). So Malen could provide better backup on RW for Antony. I don't think he's of the quality United should aim for though.

I'd rather wonder about Dortmund's motivation to get rid of Malen actually. He's having a pretty ok season, so why replace that known quantity with a gamble? (Cause who knows what Sancho will be like when he's back, or whether he fits Dortmund's current style.) It would make more sense if Malen stayed and Sancho would compete with him.

But then bringing Malen into Sancho's possible transfer to Dortmund might be a false rumour anyway. I get the impression that United get linked to every Dutch player under the sun under Ten Hag. I suppose most of that is entirely made up by transfer agents or poor journalists.

Malen is reportedly unhappy, because he's used too much as a winger. He also changed agents recently - so there also seems to be a desire for a transfer from the player side. Terzic got him to improve his work rate and he's not careless with the ball, so he's not like he's standing out in a bad way, but save for that last minute run at open goal against Gladbach he's recorded his last G/A in September. So considering Dortmund need funds for other areas, have a lopsided profile on the wings (him and Adeyemi are too similar, but Adeyemi is younger and has the better passport) it makes sense to get rid. I'm not too enthusiastic about a potential Sancho signing either (a lot of baggage and a big financial committment at a time when Dortmund needs to make a couple of cost-efficient signings), but purely in terms of player types it would make a ton of sense to exchange one of their two "stiker playing as winger" types for a proper attacking midfielder. Even more so if they want to integrate Paris Brunner quickly, since he's looking like yet another one wide goalscorer.

Sancho needs to be reintegrated straight away. Now hear me out. We should 100% be looking to offload him in January, but surely this continuing feud is really going to work against us in any negotiations over his transfer.

Malen is reportedly unhappy, because he's used too much as a winger. He also changed agents recently - so there also seems to be a desire for a transfer from the player side. Terzic got him to improve his work rate and he's not careless with the ball, so he's not like he's standing out in a bad way, but save for that last minute run at open goal against Gladbach he's recorded his last G/A in September. So considering Dortmund need funds for other areas, have a lopsided profile on the wings (him and Adeyemi are too similar, but Adeyemi is younger and has the better passport) it makes sense to get rid. I'm not too enthusiastic about a potential Sancho signing either (a lot of baggage and a big financial committment at a time when Dortmund needs to make a couple of cost-efficient signings), but purely in terms of player types it would make a ton of sense to exchange one of their two "stiker playing as winger" types for a proper attacking midfielder. Even more so if they want to integrate Paris Brunner quickly, since he's looking like yet another one wide goalscorer.
Oh, I didn't realize. That makes more sense then. Maybe United see Malen as backup for CF then? He can't be worse than Martial...

Oh, I didn't realize. That makes more sense then. Maybe United see Malen as backup for CF then? He can't be worse than Martial...

I'm sure you can come up with some rational explanations if you want to, but to me it just looks like a stupid transfer. I think Malen seems too dependent on good vibes to be a backup, and since he can neither dribble/pass/lead the line/challenge aerially on a top level, his tactical niche is too narrow, for him to be a likely success at United.

Last edited:
Malen probably is strongest playing as a second striker, not as the lone CF, so that wouldn't be very smart business I think

Sancho needs to be reintegrated straight away. Now hear me out. We should 100% be looking to offload him in January, but surely this continuing feud is really going to work against us in any negotiations over his transfer.

Honestly this is the only justification for bringing him back.

It's hard to think if Sancho played every game this season that he wouldn't be better than 0 goals and 0 assists Antony. That's on Ten Hag.

It's hard to think if Sancho played every game this season that he wouldn't be better than 0 goals and 0 assists Antony. That's on Ten Hag.
He’d probably be on 1 goal and 0 assists

Sancho is celebrating right now.
Another reason why he should never play for United again

I'm sure you can come up with some rational explanations if you want to, but to me it just looks like a stupid transfer. I think Malen seems too dependent on good vibes to be a backup, and since he can neither dribble/pass/lead the line/challenge aerially on a top level, his tactical niche is too narrow, for him to be a likely success at United.
Malen probably is strongest playing as a second striker, not as the lone CF, so that wouldn't be very smart business I think
Yeah, I'm trying to make it make sense but I don't see it either. Ultimately, Malen just doesn't have the right profile or level for United.

So are you saying that you think Sancho would be more effective than Antony? I don't think Antony has pulled up any trees so far but I disagree. Sancho has been the invisible man/gutless and unwilling to put in the sort of shift that Antony is capable of this season. We're a better side with Antony in it than Sancho.

So are you saying that you think Sancho would be more effective than Antony? I don't think Antony has pulled up any trees so far but I disagree. Sancho has been the invisible man/gutless and unwilling to put in the sort of shift that Antony is capable of this season. We're a better side with Antony in it than Sancho.
100%

Surely it's media bullshit and we're not actually signing yet another former Eredivisie player? Surely we've learned from our mistakes by now?

Surely it's media bullshit and we're not actually signing yet another former Eredivisie player? Surely we've learned from our mistakes by now?

The signings from Netherlands has been the worst aspect of ETHs time as manager. The new players are as bad as the old ones.

I’m still of the opinion that Kagawa would have been brilliant for us. He was bought as a 10 to play behind Rooney.

and then the chance to sign RVP presented itself. Rooney pushes back to 10 and Kagawa out to the side

shame. That lad had a lot of ability
Actually I think Kagawa and RVP were bought to replace Rooney. SAF saw the writing on the wall and set things up for him to be moved on at exactly the right time then he left and Woodward scuppered it.

What clubs are going to both spend money on him, and equal or better his wages?

No one, and it must be in his mind to hang about then anyway given the Ten Hag situation.

Right or wrong he'd likely be straight back in the team under a new manager.

I really get it. But Sancho should be a no brainer. Dortmund clearly wants him back, they have Malen who clearly wants a move. We need a striker, they could use Sancho. Should be a direct swap with some money included.

We should be making him turn up and train alone or else dock his wages.

I really get it. But Sancho should be a no brainer. Dortmund clearly wants him back, they have Malen who clearly wants a move. We need a striker, they could use Sancho. Should be a direct swap with some money included.
Yes, let's sign more former Dutch league players who have no business playing at this level

Every time he plays his fee drops. Why play him now if we could sell him for 100 quid in Jan?

Last edited:
We should never be terminating contracts if it means we have to pay off a player who cost a fortune.
I think if we can't flog him, there's greater cost in keeping them if they're toxic.

Wouldn't ripping up Sancho's contract cost about £35m? It's a non-starter.

We should never be terminating contracts if it means we have to pay off a player who cost a fortune.

If the player himself is willing to move on and take a huge loss in income (because he's been paid a lot more than he objectively deserves), fine - make it happen, assist him in any way to facilitate a move to a club that suits him.

If he's not willing to lose income, that's his problem. He stays and tries his best. If his best means he should stay in the reserves for the remainder of his contract, that's also his problem. Let him rot there to set a precedent.

I don't give a feck about the "optics" of having a 300k+ player rotting in the reserves. It's up to him to be up to standards.

Wouldn't ripping up Sancho's contract cost about £35m? It's a non-starter.
Exactly but it plays to the crowd hence the leaks.

Ripping up his contract actually would mean paying him off, that would be the stupidest bit of business ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.