2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

youngrell

Personally think him and Ten Hag just didn't match. The problem with ETH was that he fairly leave him out of the squad and later criticised him but at the same time he gave Antony a free ticket who was worse. If we can get a good price and sell him, that's the best solution. But if that's not possible I wouldn't mind giving him another chance. I think most of you are playing down his great performances because of personal reasons, which I understand. But there is a player in him that is miles better than Antony.
The criticism was for his effort in training, so difficult to compare with Antony as we haven't see what the latter is like in training. And in fact, it wasn't even a criticism, just an answer to the question why he wasn't in the squad that game. It was the first game this season where Hojlund was available and came into the subs instead of Sancho. Even Pellistri was preferred ahead of him that week.

tomaldinho1

Aaaand this kind of attitude is exactly what's gotten us in this 10 year mess.

Stop thinking of players in terms of monetary assets. It's why we're shit at football, we hang on to dross like Sancho, Martial, Jones, Rashford, Baily, Anthony, Pogba and countless other players because we paid a lot of mone for them "one day they'll come good".

The fact is some players don't have the mental toughness to play for United, they cant take the pressure. It doesn't matter if they go out on loan and set the world alight if they wilt under the social media/ press/ old trafford lights, they are worthless to us on the pitch and should never be judged against their price tag.

Sell him while his stock is high. He did nothing for us when he was fit and was given countless chances. If he comes back he'll do nothing again, because guess what? He can't hack it here. It's a different beast to dortmund.
Don't think of him as an asset but sell him when his stock is high?

mu4c_20le

I love how one of our player performed a MOTM performance in a CL Semi Final being played down by many posters. Meanwhile our team was kicked out in a group stage and never been to a CL Semi Final for more than a decade.

At the very least be happy about it? He may or may not come back but it's a performance worthy of high praise.
Really weird how some people desperately try to big up Antony's game against Burnley while downplaying a MOTM performance in the CL.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Really weird how some people desperately try to big up Antony's game against Burnley while downplaying a MOTM performance in the CL.
It works out pretty well for him and United. United got rid of the bad apple and Sancho is not good enough for EPL/United as per CAF. Sancho left the black hole of United under ETH, back to BVB which he is comfortable with and played in the CL semi-final, rebuild his reputation while collect his 300k/week salary from United. Win win situation for all parties.

By reading the comment in CAF you may think the quality of Untied vs Burnley/Sheff United game is higher than a CL semi final.

ShinjiNinja26

It works out pretty well for him and United. United got rid of the bad apple and Sancho is not good enough for EPL/United as per CAF. Sancho left the black hole of United under ETH, back to BVB which he is comfortable with and played in the CL semi-final, rebuild his reputation while collect his 300k/week salary from United. Win win situation for all parties.

By reading the comment in CAF you may think the quality of Untied vs Burnley/Sheff United game is higher than a CL semi final.
As per the CAF? As per his literal performances in the PL since he joined the club, while playing under 3 different managers.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Oh come on, these are the best bits too?

He made 2 good passes there and all of these supposed "successful dribbles" ended up with him going backwards? Am I missing something here? If he did similar stuff in a United shirt people would be calling him a waste of money.
It's amazing, it's like fake news - people heralding this 70 second clip of him as some sort of watershed moment in his career when 15 seconds was cuts of his no mark manager clapping in slow motion! One clip was a tackle, one was him shepparding the ball out of play, two were him going LITERALLY backwards and recycling the ball to his centre back, one was a tackle and a five yard pass and one was him going past a reckless full back and playing a cut back.

FFS, if this is the level, my YT highlights would get me a pro contract

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
As per the CAF? As per his literal performances in the PL since he joined the club, while playing under 3 different managers.
Win win situation for both Sancho and United. Next is if United can sell him this summer window with his existing high salary.

Yakuza_devils

Yes, many pundits and ex pros are full of praise. But CAF down played it to "making a few good passes".

I would have thought that Man Utd is constantly playing in CL Semi Final.

Shinjch

It's amazing, it's like fake news - people heralding this 70 second clip of him as some sort of watershed moment in his career when 15 seconds was cuts of his no mark manager clapping in slow motion! One clip was a tackle, one was him shepparding the ball out of play, two were him going LITERALLY backwards and recycling the ball to his centre back, one was a tackle and a five yard pass and one was him going past a reckless full back and playing a cut back.

FFS, if this is the level, my YT highlights would get me a pro contract
If those were the best bits in a "MOTM performance" then the quality of the game must have been dreadful. Where we these record breaking "successful dribbles" too? What even is a successful dribble?

Bruno creates more chances every game and is still much maligned. Just shows how narrative is everything with so many in the football media world.

flameinthesun

He had an objectively good game yesterday. However, its nothing that we have not seen before. He has the quick feet that in the right circumstances he can beat a fullback. Though if asked to just drive at his fullback he can't really do that and will often turn back. He really does need a fullback constantly overlapping or players providing him with options. His stats for Dortmund since the loan are okay at best, nothing compared to what he was putting up before. For me, he has shown that 1) he doesn't have the mentality to play for united. We saw that in his performances for us over 2 seasons. 2) I don't think, as talented as he is, having now seen him in the premier league that he was worth what we paid for him and most importantly 3) if a player disrespects the Man United manager (whether you want Ten Hag to stay or go) especially after said manager has done his best to help him out, then you are disrespecting the club. If we are going to actually set standards throughout all lines of the club then he should not be allowed back at the club.

ShinjiNinja26

Win win situation for both Sancho and United. Next is if United can sell him this summer window with his existing high salary.
That is true. He keeps playing well for the remainder of the season and hopefully that increases his transfer value in the summer. Or that loan spell has finally got his head straight and he returns to the club and is actually able to start producing consistently good performances in the PL but as he’s failed to do so in his first couple years here I won’t hold my breath for that one. Wages will be a massive issue and is probably the main reason he’ll be sold for nowhere near what we paid for him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If those were the best bits in a "MOTM performance" then the quality of the game must have been dreadful. Where we these record breaking "successful dribbles" too? What even is a successful dribble?

Bruno creates more chances every game and is still much maligned. Just shows how narrative is everything with so many in the football media world.
Only by CAF. KDB is full of praise to Bruno and rated Bruno higher than Odegaard.

Lyng

Funny you mention Bruno when swapping successfull dribbles for the words chances created leads to carbon copy post of some of the shite Bruno gets thrown at him in his thread.

Either we disregard positive stats or not.

Shinjch

Only by CAF. KDB is full of praise to Bruno and rated Bruno higher than Odegaard.
It isn't only this forum unfortunately. The press/media never miss an opportunity to get after Bruno, even for made up things like Neville saying he wanted to come off during the Liverpool embarrassment.

De Bruyne's view should probably be worth more than those in the media, but he doesn't drive narratives.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That is true. He keeps playing well for the remainder of the season and hopefully that increases his transfer value in the summer. Or that loan spell has finally got his head straight and he returns to the club and is actually able to start producing consistently good performances in the PL but as he’s failed to do so in his first couple years here I won’t hold my breath for that one. Wages will be a massive issue and is probably the main reason he’ll be sold for nowhere near what we paid for him.
At this stage it is better for both parties to part way. No matter how good his performance is for BVB, it is not good for the culture of the dressing room if he comes back.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Beat me to it.... I'm here thinking "Have you guys not been watching United recently??!" :confused:

Shinjch

Funny you mention Bruno when swapping successfull dribbles for the words chances created leads to carbon copy post of some of the shite Bruno gets thrown at him in his thread.

Either we disregard positive stats or not.
Agreed on the chance creation stat, I have no idea what constitutes a "chance" in that regard either. But I can see with my eyes that he usually creates more openings in games than Sancho did in the game last night.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I agree, certain parts of the fanbase are definitely toxic but it is pressure from the media (who are mostly ex United players). A bad game at Dortmund isn't scrutinised like a bad game at United.
No offense but this comes across as exceptionalism. In the end, you just chose the explanation shedding the best light on United: "The amount pressure was just too big for Sancho at such a great club as we are." It is basically self-praise disguised as self-criticism. And most importaly, it is easy to disprove since Sancho is just one example of many. Some of the players that were only shadows of their former selves for United played at clubs with even higher media exposure and expectations.

Oh come on, these are the best bits too?

He made 2 good passes there and all of these supposed "successful dribbles" ended up with him going backwards? Am I missing something here? If he did similar stuff in a United shirt people would be calling him a waste of money.
If they did, then they can't tell a good performance from a bad one when it jumps into their faces.

Lyng

Agreed on the chance creation stat, I have no idea what constitutes a "chance" in that regard either. But I can see with my eyes that he usually creates more openings in games than Sancho did in the game last night.
My point was that its quite clear that Bruno creates chances en masse, and the eye test backs that up.
Sanchos dribbles yesterday helped his team immensely in several situation where again the eye test fits with the stats.

He had an excellent performance against a fantastic group of players. No need to downplay it.

But a massive part of him being able to do that was his team mates. Constant movement and one two touch passing leads to the perfect stage for Sancho to show his talents.
Our tactics and style of play simply dont work with a player like him. Heck, prime David Silva would suffer.

iHicksy

Don't think of him as an asset but sell him when his stock is high?
No. You're missing the point and context.

Don't hold on to players because we paid a lot of money for them and continue the shrunken cost fallacy that we've been operating under since woodward. Sell him ASAP - especially now when they're willing to pay even more.

Shinjch

My point was that its quite clear that Bruno creates chances en masse, and the eye test backs that up.
Sanchos dribbles yesterday helped his team immensely in several situation where again the eye test fits with the stats.

He had an excellent performance against a fantastic group of players. No need to downplay it.

But a massive part of him being able to do that was his team mates. Constant movement and one two touch passing leads to the perfect stage for Sancho to show his talents.
Our tactics and style of play simply dont work with a player like him. Heck, prime David Silva would suffer.
Will have to tune into the second leg to see this rehabilitated player then, as the highlights didn't look like an excellent performance to me. I am only going by "highlights" though.

Good to see the result anyway, and hope they can get to the final.

Big Andy

Bloke
Watched the game on TNT last night, but I wasn't sure how Sancho played as they never mentioned him at all? Anyone know how he did?

fps

Important point that the twinkle-toed Man City pixie players Pep has been so fond of would absolutely struggle if placed into Man Utd's team. No understanding of how to contract or expand space with the ball. Sancho needs to go somewhere else. He was great, and let's hope we get a decent fee for him. We overpaid by a staggering amount.

tomaldinho1

No. You're missing the point and context.

Don't hold on to players because we paid a lot of money for them and continue the shrunken cost fallacy that we've been operating under since woodward. Sell him ASAP - especially now when they're willing to pay even more.
We tried to sell him last summer didn't we?

Gavinb33

Btw stats, Sancho had 13 dribbles in that match. 13.

Antony averages 5 per 90 mins, Amad hasnt played much but averages 4.8 and then Garnacho with 4.5 are the most our wingers are producing. And when it comes to successful outcomes of dribbling Amad has the most with 2.4 then Antony with 1.9

I believe thats 13 successful dribbles from Sancho
I'd be surprised if Sancho himself had more than that over the 2.5 years he played for us let alone one game, everyone making out like Sancho has only been an issue for EtH he was shit before EtH took over too

lex talionis

The man was outstanding last night. Whether he could ever put in a performance like that in a United shirt is impossible to say, but what we saw yesterday several galaxies ahead of anything we’ve ever from our three other RW players — Antony, Amad and Pellistri.

the_cliff

No offense but this comes across as exceptionalism. In the end, you just chose the explanation shedding the best light on United: "The amount pressure was just too big for Sancho at such a great club as we are." It is basically self-praise disguised as self-criticism. And most importaly, it is easy to disprove since Sancho is just one example of many. Some of the players that were only shadows of their former selves for United played at clubs with even higher media exposure and expectations.

If they did, then they can't tell a good performance from a bad one when it jumps into their faces.
Such as ?

Only one I can think of is Di Maria and he's pretty much admitted to other reasons behind his drop in form. He also managed twice more assists in his one season here than Sancho has managed in all 3 of his.

We've been so bad recently that if Sancho had put in performances on the level of Di Maria that season, he'd be nailed on in our rw spot. The problem is people don't understand just how bad Sancho has looked for us, he's like a pub team player. If you told someone who's never watched football that the Sancho of last night and the Sancho at United were the same player they wouldn't believe it. The level of drop off of the ability shown by Sancho for United and for Dortmund is massive and not normal, he hasn't even shown glimpses of his talent never mind put in a performance like last night.

Last edited:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Such as ?

Only one I can think of is Di Maria and he's pretty much admitted to other reasons behind his drop in form. He also managed twice more assists in his one season here than Sancho has managed in all 3 of his.
Skimming through your transfer history, you signed Di Maria, Varane, Casemiro, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Sanchez, Pogba and Cristiano Ronaldo from other big clubs. Ibrahimovic and with a lot of goodwill Pogba were successes of those.

the_cliff

Skimming through your transfer history, you signed Di Maria, Varane, Casemiro, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic, Sanchez, Pogba and Cristiano Ronaldo from other big clubs. Ibrahimovic and with a lot of goodwill Pogba were successes of those.
Varane, Casemiro, Ibra, Pogba, Cristiano, Varane have all far outperformed Sancho at United. I'm not sure you watch United if you're comparing them to how Sancho has played for us. Also, out of all of those players mentioned only Di Maria, Pogba and Sancho joined United in their prime.

I'm not expecting Sancho to somehow drag us into a ucl winning team, our team is bad so it's normal for a player to come and not be as good as he was at his previous successful team but there's performing to a minimum acceptable level that Sancho hasn't reached. He's being outperformed by a 18 year old kid (that imo isn't even that good). Ronaldo came at 38 and scored 30 in all comps. All those players mentioned despite not being as good as they were earlier with their previous club were at least performing to a level where they were accepted in the starting 11 (maybe only Sanchez wasn't), Sancho has been so bad he's not even been better than an 18 year old academy product.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Personally think him and Ten Hag just didn't match. The problem with ETH was that he fairly leave him out of the squad and later criticised him but at the same time he gave Antony a free ticket who was worse. If we can get a good price and sell him, that's the best solution. But if that's not possible I wouldn't mind giving him another chance. I think most of you are playing down his great performances because of personal reasons, which I understand. But there is a player in him that is miles better than Antony.
I believe that Rashford also doesn't see eye to eye with Ten Hag.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Makes me wonder why there are 2 Germany clubs in CL Semi.
More teams playing a high line means that it's easier to score than in the PL, bit also it's riskier to lose the ball, as you might be punished quickly. So it tends to be a high scoring league, attackers often look better, defenders look worse.

But that doesn't hurt in Europe, being used to play against teams that play a high line actually could be an advantage against international top teams who do it as well.

saivet

Bayern have a good squad of players and a FW who scores. No surprise

Dortmund getting by with luck I’d say
I think that's a bit harsh. They finished top of a tough group. Given the draws available PSV in the first round was a good draw as was Atletico in the QFs but Atletico isn't a simple draw.

They've not been outstanding but I think they've deserved to get through all their ties and they were good value for the win against PSG.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think that's a bit harsh. They finished top of a tough group. Given the draws available PSV in the first round was a good draw as was Atletico in the QFs but Atletico isn't a simple draw.

They've not been outstanding but I think they've deserved to get through all their ties and they were good value for the win against PSG.
They’ve been naff in the league though. They are not a great team.