View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he carried on his preseason form well tonight when he came on. It was unlucky he didn't start I thought, and with hindsight he should have, but he did his chances for Saturday no harm at all. Play him as a false 9 with Rashford left, it's the least worst option right now until Hojlund comes in. After that I'd really like to see him tried on the right as an alternative to Antony, just to mix things up. Seems he is responding well right now, hope it continues for him.

Thought he was decent when he came. Only he and Onana come away from that with any credit.

One of the few bright spots for us in attack tonight. His cameo was a lot more like the Sancho I was expecting us to get when we first signed him from Dortmund. I'd like to see him start against Spurs, he looked promising as a false 9 in pre-season and would enable us to move Rashford back to the left channel where he's far more dangerous.

For those who might not have watched any of the pre season games: i thought Jadon was a bright spot in those as well so im optimistic he can continue the upward trajectory. He seems to have his swagger back - less overthinking, more instinct.

So happy to see what I did from him tonight. Looked dangerous and confident going forward. He'll never be a speed merchant but his dribbling and intelligence is world class and if we can get the best out of him then we have a serious player.

Did very well today. Even more so given how lifeless and lethargic the entire team were. Hope he can keep it up!

Despite not being convincing on the right wing during his time here, I am wondering if he would actually excel there now that we have Hojlund. Sancho’s best period as a right winger was when he had Haaland to supply. Sancho’s never really had that quality pure goal scorer to supply. It never worked with Ronaldo. I feel like Sancho could actually be a great supply from the right side for Hojlund with plenty of cut backs for him to get on the end of.

As others have said the only outfield player to perform at an acceptable level today. Thought he looked lively and wanted to make things happen. Also enjoyed him trying to get the crowd up, something I've rarely ever seen from him before.

Surprised he didn’t start tbh. He had a relatively good pre-season. Can’t imagine he felt great being dropped to the bench. Decent cameo too. Looked like he actually wanting to take the game by the scruff of the neck and make something happen. Which is a nice change from his usual laid back let the game pass him by attitude. Maybe the penny’s finally dropped and he’s realised he’s on his last chance.

I thought he looked bright when he came on. I’d be happy to see him start the next game with Garnacho coming off the bench.

a big season for him coming up

So happy to see what I did from him tonight. Looked dangerous and confident going forward. He'll never be a speed merchant but his dribbling and intelligence is world class and if we can get the best out of him then we have a serious player.

I have the same criticism but oddly enough I thought he looked a lot more rapid than usual last night. Fingers crossed it's a sign of things to come.

Should have done enough there to earn a start at the weekend. Wouldn’t mind whether that was for any of the attackers really, they were all abysmal.

Pleased with his cameo last night and I hope his confidence grows from it. Showed some spark and willingness to take control of the game. If there's one thing though, he can still do more in taking players on instead of copping out and attempting pointless risky passes.

I also don't think he'd work as a false 9 and I don't wish for him to start the next game there as it may break his fragile confidence, even if it's more of an indictment of our recruitment.

He done ok when he came on but nothing more than that , the expectation with him now is so low that any positive contribution will earn rave reviews.

But it is good to see his form going in the right direction , hopefully his confidence grows with it and he can get better and better and become the player we thought we were getting off Dortmund.

People have short memories. . Last year he never had a good game when he started, , a few times he came in as a sub against tiring defenders and done well Leeds game espically . Normally when he started he was dragged off on 60 minutes . . Garnacho the same better as subs . The big difference being garnacho cost us nothing. And is on small wages . Meanwhile. Sancho cost €80 roughly. And reported to be on €350000 a week . Can’t be paying that for an impact sub . He is too slow for wings , so if we keep him he has to play somewhere else . I think we should be looking at Neto from wolves still young .

He's just not combative, that's his biggest flaw. In terms of footballing ability, he's miles clear of Antony and imo should be 1st choice RW. He seems stronger and sharper this season, i just hope he doesn't drop off again. He's always so close to being really good but he wasn't blessed with physicality like Rashford and doesn't have Antony's workrate.

In the post match it was mentioned that he hyped up the crowd as well and gave us a bit of momentum that led to the goal. I thought he did well enough to start against spurs. We have an abundance of wingers we can use.

Dunno why everyone says he should be starting on the right. Antony was absolutely miles better than Garnacho last night and an important player for us last season. Plus Sancho prefers playing on the left anyway, no?

Obvious lineup is Sancho left, Rashford centre and Antony right.

We badly need Rashford to get his shit together and play like an actual striker though.

If there's one thing though, he can still do more in taking players on instead of copping out and attempting pointless risky passes.
He tried that a few times last night and the defenders just shrugged him off the ball easily. He doesn't seem to have the explosion of pace over the first 5 yards necessary to beat a man, sadly.

If people were impressed with that it only proves how bad we were yesterday. The only thing I can say is he wasn't shite like the others but that's about as far as the praise goes.

He still looked physically inferior and wasn't particularly effective in getting shooting opportunities despite the space.

Roles reversed, when Sancho has had a stinker as a starter and Garnacho has come on as a sub with more space he makes much more of an impact that Sancho did yesterday.

If there's one thing though, he can still do more in taking players on instead of copping out and attempting pointless risky passes.
He can't do that! He's weak and slow. Even if he gets past the defender they usually recover and ease him off the ball as he can't get away. That's why he's completely ineffective off the wing. It's also why he'll try a risky or stupid pass, or play it safe, rather than expose his limitations.

He will never be able to please you people. Currently he is way better than most of our players.

He tried that a few times last night and the defenders just shrugged him off the ball easily. He doesn't seem to have the explosion of pace over the first 5 yards necessary to beat a man, sadly.

He can't do that! He's weak and slow. Even if he gets past the defender they usually recover and ease him off the ball as he can't get away. That's why he's completely ineffective off the wing. It's also why he'll try a risky or stupid pass, or play it safe, rather than expose his limitations.
I suppose that was at the back of my head, but IIRC he had a few successful dribbles. We're really not a good counter-attacking team with Mount, Antony and Sancho.. It's the same old Bruno > Rashford magic.. We're in desperate need of a proper 8 like Gavi IMHO who'd help with his movement, passing, and defensive ability.

He looked more direct with his play which was good to see. Some nice passes and used his strength one time which was good to see

As one of his biggest critics, I thought he was wasy very good when he came on - added a bit of directness/impotus to our play.

I think he showed fight, something I've never actually seen from him before. It's vital in the EPL.

It was one of his best performances for us. Reminded me of when he came on against Leeds and added much needed energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.