View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubt it, but I personally feel he will be used there quite often this season.

If you look at the options ten Hag had at Ajax, during the 18/19 season (I think), he had Kasper Dolberg, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Dusan Tadic.

I believe we'll see something similar next season with Rashford, Hojlund and Sancho. They all provide different bring different attributes to the table, especially the latter.

I really hope we get to see a run of games with those three. Sancho and Haaland really brought the best out of each other with the partnership they formed at Dortmund. Sancho’s use of space, link up play and cute passing in the final third lead to so many goals between them and I still hold out hope that playing him with a proper and mobile 9 could finally bring out the best of his game here.

And yes, I know Haaland and Hojland are different types of players but the point still stands that we haven’t had a dangerous focal point in attack whilst Sancho has been here, and I think having that could be the missing piece for him finding his groove.

Sancho should be the first sub for Antony this season and his closest challenger for the spot on the right wing. By the looks of it he might also be a very capable deputy for bruno if need be.

Sancho should be the first sub for Antony this season and his closest challenger for the spot on the right wing. By the looks of it he might also be a very capable deputy for bruno if need be.
Pellestri might disagree, he's certainly earned a chance

Thats pretty nuts, 23 is so young for what he's already accomplished. He should have another season of time to turn it around.
What has he accomplished, nothing really, he should be in last chance saloon now with United

What has he accomplished, nothing really, he should be in last chance saloon now with United
He was one of the best, if not the best performers in the Bundasliga for a couple of seasons as a teenager, with a handful of very good Champions League performances to show he has the potential that's just there to be unlocked. At 23 you don't rule that off, time is still very much on his side.

The team that played yesterday is the team that plays against Wolves.
Maybe. But we’d have no threat of the bench. At least if Garnacho started on the bench we’d have someone who can come on and contribute.

He was one of the best, if not the best performers in the Bundasliga for a couple of seasons as a teenager, with a handful of very good Champions League performances to show he has the potential that's just there to be unlocked. At 23 you don't rule that off, time is still very much on his side.
Not at United it isn't, if he doesn't perform this season he'll be done at OT

Did he start in the centre again for us today? If so i'm guessing that might be an option for now?

I know it wont be for long but its weird we have no other centre forward options available other than Rashford for the opening game.

Thats pretty nuts, 23 is so young for what he's already accomplished. He should have another season of time to turn it around.

Agreed. I think we're giving him this season and depending on how he does, we'll make a decision. If he barely improves from last season, I think we should just let him go.

Doubt it, but I personally feel he will be used there quite often this season.

If you look at the options ten Hag had at Ajax, during the 18/19 season (I think), he had Kasper Dolberg, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar and Dusan Tadic.

I believe we'll see something similar next season with Rashford, Hojlund and Sancho. They all provide different bring different attributes to the table, especially the latter.

Yep, I think people are underestimating his being used there and just chalking it up as a “break in case of emergency” option.

Pellestri might disagree, he's certainly earned a chance

True

Competition for the right wing spot is intense and should keep everyone at their feet. Just like it should be at Manchester united.

Shame about Amad being injured. For the first time in years I'm really excited about the talent and competion we have at the flanks.

Not at United it isn't, if he doesn't perform this season he'll be done at OT
Kind of BS to be fair given Shaw had the same or more time off form and managed to turn it around. He too came as an 18 year old who already had some good performances and potential under his belt.

Kind of BS to be fair given Shaw had the same or more time off form and managed to turn it around. He too came as an 18 year old who already had some good performances and potential under his belt.
Shaw also suffered from a very serious injury + he didn't have a lot of competition, Sancho is competing with Rashford, Garnacho, Hoijland, Amad, Pellestri and Antony at a minimum

Maybe. But we’d have no threat of the bench. At least if Garnacho started on the bench we’d have someone who can come on and contribute.

I'd rather the coach picked the team he thought would win, rather one that would need help from the bench.

I'd rather the coach picked the team he thought would win, rather one that would need help from the bench.
Of course but certain players don’t perform as good when starting as they do when coming off the bench.

I'll say it again, he's only 22.

The problem is at 22 he is being paid £350k a week, which is what most players work their whole careers chasing.

Unfortunately, for majority of players money is the main motivating factor in performing rather than being the best they can be. I can’t see anything that’s going to drive Sancho to go to the next level, that’s the big issue when paying enormous sums of money to guys so early in their careers

It's not bullshit at all. It's not about fairness and giving everyone 5 years it's about performance and delivering. Shaw benefitted from a period of time at the club where we were a complete shambles for huge swathes of it, continually chasing our own tail. Not really a reference point.

The manager isn't going to continually accept it. Standards are higher now because they need to be. At the end of this season we'll be 3 seasons deep into waiting for Sancho to produce something. This season is absolutely key for him. He's still got a chance to do it and he'll be backed to do it but you can only lead the horse to water. It's clear this is a big one. He had one to settle in where we were poor as a team, fair enough, he had another last year with difficulties, third time lucky?

Sancho will get 16 assists this season and 6 of them will be to Hojlund

Think he'd do the "possession" role Antony does better than him. But he doesn't have Antony's off the ball work so won't happen.

Sancho experiment as a false 9 is a failure. I can't see Sancho as a point of attack. Scoring 1 goal in pre-season doesn't show he can play the role. He just can't put chances away and always find himself on the right and makes it very crowded with no one in the box. Time to bail ok this project, if there is any decent bid just sell him.

Why Sancho is going to be useful is the same reason Ten Hag bought Mount.

Ten Hag loves flexibility.

He can use Sancho as a LW, a False 9, a RW, a CAM and even as a CM as we saw couple days ago.

Im unsure if Sancho will become a master of a position (seems best as a right footed RW or a false 9) - but he should still have his uses to a manager like Ten Hag.

I’m all for giving him time but it’s hard to argue that he’s been disappointing with us so far. Low standards at this club will just lead to more situations like McTominay and Martial hanging around. Need to be more ruthless in the future with promising players

It's an indictment on Sancho if anything else.
But if we hadn't bought Antony, who wasn't very good last season, maybe playing Sancho on the right for the whole season might have developed him into a good right winger by now.
Now Sancho has no position.
Rashford obviously first choice on the left and Antony is ETHs 100m signing and obviously favoured player from Ajax, so Sancho is basically set for the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.