Jack Grenglish

I reckon that if your mom and dad are Irish and you happen to be born in England you'd count as Irish too. Not sure about those grandparents rules but his dad seems Irish enough to me for him to qualify.

His dad (and mum) are both English. He qualifies for Ireland via his grandparents.

If I was ever to declare for an International side (don't worry it's never gonna happen) it'd definitely be Ireland despite only having one Irish parent and if I had kids I'd definitely want them supporting Ireland not England.

There seems to be a weird thing that if you're white it's not OK to associate with your heritage, when the same people would have no problem with someone who's 4th / 5th generation British Indian supporting India for example.
What? I've never heard that before in my life.

It isn't really that two way. Most Northern Ireland fans don't want Bruce playing for NI.

And does the GFA make it okay for a player to play for Northern Ireland his whole youth career, taking up valuable resources, then feck off when he wants? No.

So diddums if you are the one who loses out, the RoI have certainly had a lot more in their favour than against it.

You obviously have issues with the Irish/NI situation but this thread is getting derailed as the Grealish case is totally different and is governed by completely separate laws.

A lot of those who did "jump ship" did so for personal/political reasons. The logistics of a NI based youth international playing for the republic from the outset from say U16's means its easier for them to play for the North. As i said originally its an unique situation. Its not ideal but you cant force players to stick with NI if they dont want to.

As i said originally a player aged 22 who can play for one countries U21's and then be capped for another nations full international side 2 weeks later is something that needs to be looked at strongly.

I really have an issue with this "you're born in England so you're English" mentality. Grealish has pretty strong Irish bloodlines (his name is Grealish for starters) so he has every right to play for Ireland if he so wishes.

One of the things I like best about international football is that it is not governed by money. The rich countries cannot buy the best players. But, unfortunately it is getting more and more that way. People move to richer countries for more opportunities and more people have dual nationalities. I would prefer those players to play for the weaker nation. It evens the playing field and means that just because your country is run by incompetent/corrupt politicians you don't have to have a rubbish football team.

England will find another player with similar talent to Jack Grealish. Ireland won't. I hope Grealish chooses Ireland and leaves it to someone else to be the scapegoat for England's quarter final penalty shoot out defeat. But he won't. His debut for England is as inevitable as De Gea's for Real Madrid.

I really have an issue with this "you're born in England so you're English" mentality..

Most people tend to have issues in the reverse to be fair.

On Grealish's front, he clearly has Irish roots so he should be able to choose between which country he plays for. This isn't like Diego Costa who moves to Spain as an adult and then decides to play for Spain, Grealish has clear links to Ireland.

I reckon that if your mom and dad are Irish and you happen to be born in England you'd count as Irish too. Not sure about those grandparents rules but his dad seems Irish enough to me for him to qualify.

Pretty sure his dad's a born and raised brummie.

His dad (and mum) are both English. He qualifies for Ireland via his grandparents.
If your parents are Irish and you are born in England, does that mean your are not Irish?

Pretty sure his dad's a born and raised brummie.
Born and raised there by Irish parents. I'd say his dad was both then. Not sure what the laws on that are in England or Ireland.

If your parents are Irish and you are born in England, does that mean your are not Irish?
In my opinion it would depend on the circumstances. If an irish woman was on holiday in England and gave birth, then went back to Ireland, that kid would be Irish.

Grealish was born and raised in England, both his parents were born and raised in England. I would say he is English with some Irish grandparents. My view on his nationality is about as important as his view on mine (ie not at all) though.

It's just my opinion and and if he considers himself irish than fair enough, distant family connections can be strong for some people.

If I was ever to declare for an International side (don't worry it's never gonna happen) it'd definitely be Ireland despite only having one Irish parent and if I had kids I'd definitely want them supporting Ireland not England.

There seems to be a weird thing that if you're white it's not OK to associate with your heritage, when the same people would have no problem with someone who's 4th / 5th generation British Indian supporting India for example.

Yet you only seem proud of one half of yours?

Are you one of those guys who has lived in England all his life but because you have Irish relatives you speak with the thickest plastic Irish accent? There's a few of them near me, never stepped a foot in Ireland before but speak as though they'd never left. My missus is half Irish, and born there too. However, she moved over here as a kid and brought up by her English mum, and now considers herself English. This is the country that has given her everything after all, good and bad.

Unless you're born and bred in Ireland, in which case I understand where you are coming from. Even so, you mention being proud of your heritage you should remember there's another half of your heritage to be proud of too.

It's really quite simple. Whatever nationality Jack Grealish identifies with is the one he'll declare for. Everything else is just nonsense.

The most likely reason that someone born in England to English parents would opt to play for someone else is if they thought they weren't good enough to be picked regularly by England.

The most likely reason that someone born in England to English parents would opt to play for someone else is if they thought they weren't good enough to be picked regularly by England.

sums it up really.

Everyone has an opinion here but the reality is that it is down to the individual to decide his or her identity when given the option.

This thread is horrible. Full of all kinds of backwards opinions or sly digs.

I'm more interested to see what type of player he develops into than which national team he chooses. He looks like a classic #10 which isn't a role a lot of teams are using now.

In my opinion it would depend on the circumstances. If an irish woman was on holiday in England and gave birth, then went back to Ireland, that kid would be Irish.

Grealish was born and raised in England, both his parents were born and raised in England. I would say he is English with some Irish grandparents. My view on his nationality is about as important as his view on mine (ie not at all) though.

It's just my opinion and and if he considers himself irish than fair enough, distant family connections can be strong for some people.
My sister was born and partly raised in Denmark. She's not in any way Danish. I have family in Norway that just became Norwegian last years. The parents are born and raised in Iceland and all the children ('87, '90 and '91) born and raised in Norway. They only got citizenship last year though despite all of them having lived there for over 20 years.

Point is, it varies between countries. His dad is Irish and presumably raised Irish considering the Irish upbringing he himself got so I'd definitely say he is half Irish. If you talk heritage he's more Irish than English.

The kid has a long long way to go before being International class. James McCarthy was supposed to be the next big thing but he's looked out of his depth often at International level as has other once overhyped kids like McGeady, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Johnson etc James McClean was supposed to be the new Bale a year or two ago and he's been struggling in the championship ever since

Good luck to the kid whoever he chooses....In Ireland you'd swear it was the end of the national team if he doesn't declare...the reality is that other decent players will emerge if Grealish chooses England

You obviously have issues with the Irish/NI situation but this thread is getting derailed as the Grealish case is totally different and is governed by completely separate laws.

A lot of those who did "jump ship" did so for personal/political reasons. The logistics of a NI based youth international playing for the republic from the outset from say U16's means its easier for them to play for the North. As i said originally its an unique situation. Its not ideal but you cant force players to stick with NI if they dont want to.

As i said originally a player aged 22 who can play for one countries U21's and then be capped for another nations full international side 2 weeks later is something that needs to be looked at strongly.

What political reasons did Adam Barton, who played a friendly match for the Senior Northern Ireland, only to switch and play a Under 21 match for the RoI have? He was born in England btw.

And surely the reason that Grealish is considering to play for England is a personal reason?

So, you are pretty much saying that those who jump ship to play for the RoI, after using and abusing the money the IFA put into their development is fair enough because it is harder for them to play for the RoI's underage teams? Stop talking so much bollox. The situation isn't about 'forcing' players to stick with Northern Ireland, it is about not letting them abuse our youth teams, and waste money which could spent on players who are actually dedicated to playing for their country.

If you can't see why so many people are annoyed about that, then what is the point!

What political reasons did Adam Barton, who played a friendly match for the Senior Northern Ireland, only to switch and play a Under 21 match for the RoI have? He was born in England btw.

And surely the reason that Grealish is considering to play for England is a personal reason?

So, you are pretty much saying that those who jump ship to play for the RoI, after using and abusing the money the IFA put into their development is fair enough because it is harder for them to play for the RoI's underage teams? Stop talking so much bollox. The situation isn't about 'forcing' players to stick with Northern Ireland, it is about not letting them abuse our youth teams, and waste money which could spent on players who are actually dedicated to playing for their country.

If you can't see why so many people are annoyed about that, then what is the point!

I never said every player who switched did for it political reasons did i? Its an unfortunate reality that some will exploit the "loophole" for personal gain. You seem particularly bitter about the whole situation. Whats your magical solution to this very unique scenario? Deny the rights of people in Northern Ireland to consider themselves Irish if they wish?

Also whats your views on current NI internationals Lee Camp and Oliver Norwood, both ex English underage internationals who good money and time was invested in by the English FA?????

The kid has a long long way to go before being International class. James McCarthy was supposed to be the next big thing but he's looked out of his depth often at International level as has other once overhyped kids like McGeady, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Adam Johnson etc James McClean was supposed to be the new Bale a year or two ago and he's been struggling in the championship ever since

Good luck to the kid whoever he chooses....In Ireland you'd swear it was the end of the national team if he doesn't declare...the reality is that other decent players will emerge if Grealish chooses England

When was McClean regarded as the new Bale?

I'm more interested to see what type of player he develops into than which national team he chooses. He looks like a classic #10 which isn't a role a lot of teams are using now.
True, he'd have more success in the italian league imo where there is still some focus on the classic 10 without emphasis on wing play. However under sherwood he should develop well as he seems not to be someone that uses all that much wing play and is constantly going on about playing through the middle.

Are you one of those guys who has lived in England all his life but because you have Irish relatives you speak with the thickest plastic Irish accent? There's a few of them near me, never stepped a foot in Ireland before but speak as though they'd never left.
Maybe the people around you are just twats but I know many people born and raised in Canada/USA who have Irish accents and they aren't just putting it on. There are large Irish communities in England, USA, Canada, many countries and if you are raised within those communities then you can easily have an Irish accent without stepping foot in Ireland.

This whole discussion is pointless, Jack is Irish and English and he will choose who he wants to represent when he deems fit. No one of us can say what he is or who he should play for, only he can.

This is a good piece by an Irish Brummie who supports Villa just like Jack.
http://www.balls.ie/football/292616...ink-twice-about-jack-grealishs-dilemma/292616

What I like about this too is it points to multi-nationalism. Many people are from 2 or more countries and feel proud of both/all and there is no choosing between them. Jack's brother has said before that Jack is proud to be Irish and English and if he wasn't a top footballer no one would bat an eyelid but since he is he has to choose. Even when he does choose it doesn't make him only one nationality, he can still support and be proud of being both English and Irish.

Maybe the people around you are just twats but I know many people born and raised in Canada/USA who have Irish accents and they aren't just putting it on. There are large Irish communities in England, USA, Canada, many countries and if you are raised within those communities then you can easily have an Irish accent without stepping foot in Ireland.

This whole discussion is pointless, Jack is Irish and English and he will choose who he wants to represent when he deems fit. No one of us can say what he is or who he should play for, only he can.

This is a good piece by an Irish Brummie who supports Villa just like Jack.
http://www.balls.ie/football/292616...ink-twice-about-jack-grealishs-dilemma/292616

What I like about this too is it points to multi-nationalism. Many people are from 2 or more countries and feel proud of both/all and there is no choosing between them. Jack's brother has said before that Jack is proud to be Irish and English and if he wasn't a top footballer no one would bat an eyelid but since he is he has to choose. Even when he does choose it doesn't make him only one nationality, he can still support and be proud of being both English and Irish.

He isn't Irish and English though, he's an Englishman to English parents. 712 summed it up though above so not much else to add. It was just a bit strange to me that you were going on about being proud of your heritage yet from what I can gather you're an English man who happens to have an Irish parent (though I might be wrong on that assumption), so in that case you also have English blood too, yet seem so vehemently opposed to England (or at least would be should the two nations play against each other).

I have Irish Grandparents too by the way, so in theory I should feel pretty much the same about Ireland as Jack does, yet I couldn't careless about Ireland (apathy rather than dislike). Not a big deal though, just as I say I'd never understand it.

He isn't Irish and English though, he's an Englishman to English parents.
But he is Irish, he says so himself and the law says so as well. You have no right to deny his claim to being Irish.

712 summed it up though above so not much else to add.
He doesn't sum it up at all.

It was just a bit strange to me that you were going on about being proud of your heritage yet from what I can gather you're an English man who happens to have an Irish parent (though I might be wrong on that assumption), so in that case you also have English blood too, yet seem so vehemently opposed to England (or at least would be should the two nations play against each other).
I'm English? No, you're mistaken there. I am born and raised in Canada to Irish parents and all Irish family. I have been raised Irish, grew up in an Irish community and spend all my summers in Ireland hence I personally feel a strong connection to Ireland. I also feel Canadian, just not as much as I do Irish.

I have Irish Grandparents too by the way, so in theory I should feel pretty much the same about Ireland as Jack does, yet I couldn't careless about Ireland (apathy rather than dislike). Not a big deal though, just as I say I'd never understand it.
No, because it is all personal so you should feel how you feel and Jack will feel how he feels. You feel fully English and that is great for you, however Jack feels is great for him because it is his right and he can feel a connection to England and Ireland how he wants. National pride is all personal and is not determined by other peoples opinions.

As I said before the discussion is pointless and the topic annoys me so I'll leave it there and stick to Jack's football.

But he is Irish, he says so himself and the law says so as well. You have no right to deny his claim to being Irish.

He doesn't sum it up at all.

I'm English? No, you're mistaken there. I am born and raised in Canada to Irish parents and all Irish family. I have been raised Irish, grew up in an Irish community and spend all my summers in Ireland hence I personally feel a strong connection to Ireland. I also feel Canadian, just not as much as I do Irish.

No, because it is all personal so you should feel how you feel and Jack will feel how he feels. You feel fully English and that is great for you, however Jack feels is great for him because it is his right and he can feel a connection to England and Ireland how he wants. National pride is all personal and is not determined by other peoples opinions.

As I said before the discussion is pointless and the topic annoys me so I'll leave it there and stick to Jack's football.

Most of what you said there is fair enough to be honest, and the bits I don't agree with there isn't much point dragging on with. The topic annoys me too in a certain light and I'm ready to have good argument with anyone about it, but from what you just said I'm barking up the wrong tree with you.

[edit] He did though.

True, he'd have more success in the italian league imo where there is still some focus on the classic 10 without emphasis on wing play. However under sherwood he should develop well as he seems not to be someone that uses all that much wing play and is constantly going on about playing through the middle.

Yeah Sherwood seems to favour a style that will suit him, I think if he can add goals and prove strong enough psychically it will be interesting to see if he is a player we might be able to utilize in the #10 role in our 3 man midfield system down the line.

You get to chose but I don't think you can have duel nationality, I may be wrong.
From what I gather you get all the privileges as a Brit within Britain if you are of a Commonwealth nation, don't think you get the dual passport. The Irish laws allows you to be both.

I never said every player who switched did for it political reasons did i? Its an unfortunate reality that some will exploit the "loophole" for personal gain. You seem particularly bitter about the whole situation. Whats your magical solution to this very unique scenario? Deny the rights of people in Northern Ireland to consider themselves Irish if they wish?

Also whats your views on current NI internationals Lee Camp and Oliver Norwood, both ex English underage internationals who good money and time was invested in by the English FA?????

You can be Irish and play for Northern Ireland. It isn't about 'denying rights' it is about not fecking over the IFA time and time again for what is personal gain by those players, some of who have had disgraceful excuses.

The FAI are very happy to exploit this, fortunately, former Northern Ireland captain Martin O'Neill has yet to exploit it to any great extent.

Also, I legitimately don't care if players don't want to play for Northern Ireland for whatever reason, but it is the fact that the FAI are gaining an advantage which no other nation has by exploiting this, and actively scouting for players in Northern Ireland.

Also, Lee Camp is virtually retired from Northern Ireland, and for some reason, I genuinely don't think England care too much about those players leaving, if there was a rule put in place that a nation needs to pay training costs for any player who moves to them after playing youth games for another nation then I think that is extremely fair.

You can be Irish and play for Northern Ireland. It isn't about 'denying rights' it is about not fecking over the IFA time and time again for what is personal gain by those players, some of who have had disgraceful excuses.

The FAI are very happy to exploit this, fortunately, former Northern Ireland captain Martin O'Neill has yet to exploit it to any great extent.

Also, I legitimately don't care if players don't want to play for Northern Ireland for whatever reason, but it is the fact that the FAI are gaining an advantage which no other nation has by exploiting this, and actively scouting for players in Northern Ireland.

Also, Lee Camp is virtually retired from Northern Ireland, and for some reason, I genuinely don't think England care too much about those players leaving, if there was a rule put in place that a nation needs to pay training costs for any player who moves to them after playing youth games for another nation then I think that is extremely fair.

That's horseshit as NI clearly do the exact same thing albeit on a smaller scale.

Ultimately FIFA decide the rules. It'll be up to them to change them. Until then the FAI wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't look at every single player that can possibly play for Ireland.

A rule imposing a level of compensation is something id actually be strongly in favour of as well.

That's horseshit as NI clearly do the exact same thing albeit on a smaller scale.

Ultimately FIFA decide the rules. It'll be up to them to change them. Until then the FAI wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't look at every single player that can possibly play for Ireland.

A rule imposing a level of compensation is something id actually be strongly in favour of as well.

But it isn't, as the IFA don't actually go actively scouting and approaching players in different nations, something that the Republic of Ireland actively do in Northern Ireland.

They literally go out, and try to target players who come from a particular background, and try and sway them to the RoI.

What other nations in world football can, in theory, and in times in practice, take any player from another nation? Do you think it is fair that the Republic of Ireland effectively has an open hand when it comes to players? The fact that every player born within the island of Ireland is eligible for the Republic of Ireland?

If you think that is fair, then I genuinely can't believe that.

But it isn't, as the IFA don't actually go actively scouting and approaching players in different nations, something that the Republic of Ireland actively do in Northern Ireland.

They literally go out, and try to target players who come from a particular background, and try and sway them to the RoI.

What other nations in world football can, in theory, and in times in practice, take any player from another nation? Do you think it is fair that the Republic of Ireland effectively has an open hand when it comes to players? The fact that every player born within the island of Ireland is eligible for the Republic of Ireland?

If you think that is fair, then I genuinely can't believe that

I think its fair we can pick from the whole island.

I don't think it fair that players can switch once they have picked a team at underage level.

Also I don't like players not being good enough for the republic and going back to NI after declaring their love for us.

Also a lot of the players we get from NI actually qualify for the republic via grandparents anyway. Eg Marc Wilson and James McClean.

I don't think it fair that players can switch once they have picked a team at underage level.

Also I don't like players not being good enough for the republic and going back to NI after declaring their love for us.

Also a lot of the players we get from NI actually qualify for the republic via grandparents anyway. Eg Marc Wilson and James McClean.

How can you think that is fair? Because, no matter how much they want to be, the Republic of Ireland isn't and never will be the 'All Ireland' team they like to think they are.

It's not that they can be picked

The Good Friday Agreement established the right for people of the Island of Ireland to self determine their nationality and the same exists for eligibility for football teams

It's a personal choice - people should just respect it - the uneasiness about Rory McIlroy picking who he wanted to represent at the Olympics was a bit sad really as you could sense he was concerned about offending people

as for Grealish he looks a very good talent whoever he plays for

How's it fair FFS :lol: