Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully

I guess it would depend on the battery?

But yes, that seems overly convoluted when you already got your hands on the devices.

It'd need to be a faulty battery. Doubly faulty even, first fault being something that can cause the overheat in the first place, second fault being every one of them exploding before gasses can vent. Batteries are designed so that they don't explode believe it or not.

So either Hezbollah were unlucky enough to buy these things with an extremely faulty battery and Isreal knew about it and... performed some kind of magic on them. Or they just designed the things as explosives sold them through an infiltrated supply chain.

I'm no Lithium battery expert, but did work in the car battery industry for too long.

Makes you wonder what will be seen as acceptable avenues of attack going forward.

This isn't the straw that breaks a camels back; stuff like this has been happening at scale for a while now.

Drones loitering over targets in non-sovereign airspace waiting for someones head to pop up got normalized in the early 10's.

Things will escalate when public infrastructure is targeted in this manner.

This isn't the straw that breaks a camels back; stuff like this has been happening at scale for a while now.

Drones loitering over targets in non-sovereign airspace waiting for someones head to pop up got normalized in the early 10's.

Things will escalate when public infrastructure is targeted in this manner.
I don't feel that this is comparable to drones loitering. Detonating devices without knowing the location of said devices is a different kettle of fish.

The two videos I've seen (one on here and the other on the beeb) are crazy.
It also looks like only the guys wearing the pagers got hit in both those videos.

I don't feel that this is comparable to drones loitering. Detonating devices without knowing the location of said devices is a different kettle of fish.
It’s hard to dislike Israel/IDF any more.

I hit 100% hatred a long time ago but they keep adding layers and layers of disgusting inhuman behaviour.

And America with their “we didn’t supply them, we didn’t know about this in advance” defence… I think I’d prefer it if they just said “we support Israel 100%, everything they do” and at least own it.

The ability to hit Hezbollah at such an unexpected vulnerability with such devastating precision and no regards to the inevitable collateral damage (to innocent Lebanese civilians) or international consequences (there don't seem to be any for Israel, though) is chilling and sinister.

Surely such devastating precision is to be applauded? it's not unimaginable that Israel pretty much injured or killed every senior Hezbollah officer in Lebanon.

Surely such devastating precision is to be applauded? it's not unimaginable that Israel pretty much injured or killed every senior Hezbollah officer in Lebanon.
I didn't realise that targeting the majority of hezbollah officers would result in the total eradication of hezbollah, in that case I say well done to Israel, such big ball moves, much power projection.

Maybe they should nuke enemy countries? Be doubly sure.
Well that wouldn't be very precise. But it does flag up that Iran is never actually going to start an all out war with Israel because the objective of destroying Israel is unachievable without themselves being destroyed. If they really cared about Palestine they would be looking to broker peaceful solutions. But they don't because they're not.

Well that wouldn't be very precise. But it does flag up that Iran is never actually going to start an all out war with Israel because the objective of destroying Israel is unachievable without themselves being destroyed. If they really cared about Palestine they would be looking to broker peaceful solutions. But they don't because they're not.
Yeah, these countries who don’t want to find peaceful solutions are annoying?

Blowing off potentially hundreds of balls simultaneously off men scattered around a country certainly sets a new precedent of ethics in cyberwarfare.

Last edited:
This attack is so insane that it's hard to comprehend that they managed to pull it off.

Devices close to kids' heads/upper bodies going off is so sick beyond belief and once again they will be the real victims.

This was loteraly a device carried explictly by Hezbola operatives, given to them by Hezbola. Its the most targeted attack you can imagine and you can see in the videos people standing even less then a meter away from the men carrying the device are unscratched.

Or they just designed the things as explosives sold them through an infiltrated supply chain.

That is kind of what I was thinking about in my other alternative. Although if you have created a battery capable of exploding you have literally created an explosive. Hence it makes little sense to separate the two, unless these batteries are harder to detect (for people potentially inspecting the pagers).

---

This whole thing makes me feel sick. The absolute callousness of the operation is hard to wrap your head around. Based on the number of injured I think it's fair to say that they shipped roughly 5000 of these explosive pagers. Let's think about what that actually means:

1. They had to do this manually. Even if it just takes 1 minute per device, that's more than 3 full days of work for one person with no rest.
2. They had to make sure that they got into the hands of Hizbollah. If they end up elsewhere it's a disaster.
3. Then they had to bank on none of them accidentally going off or being picked up by a form of security check. Hell, even if just 1 out of those 5000 people decide to fiddle with the device, the operation is possibly fecked.

It's a brutal attack with a relatively low chance of success (at least in terms of casualties) that is simultaneously likely to severely injure so many innocent people. It's bordering to the prank of a sociopath.

This whole thing makes me feel sick. The absolute callousness of the operation is hard to wrap your head around. Based on the number of injured I think it's fair to say that they shipped roughly 5000 of these explosive pagers. Let's think about what that actually means:

1. They had to do this manually. Even if it just takes 1 minute per device, that's more than 3 full days of work for one person with no rest.
2. They had to make sure that they primarily got into the hands of Hizbollah.
3. Then they had to bank on none of them accidentally going off or being picked up by a form of security check. Hell, even if just 1 out of those 5000 people decide to fiddle with it the operation is possibly fecked.

It's a brutal attack with a relatively low chance of success (at least in terms of casualties) that is simultaneously likely to severely injure so many innocent people...
That's a natural reaction. Unfortunately, this type of incident seems to turn on many people here.

Sorry, maybe I'm desensitized to it all, but:

- Literally seen, in person, the after effect of someone placing tens of thousands of ballbearings in a small explosive man-made device placed in a crowded marketplace in downtown Kabul.
- Sift through AAR's of hundreds of kids under the age of 16 forced to charge Iraqi Army lines strapped with remotely detonated suicide vests.
- Examine the site of where 15 people were executed by being crushed by a T-62 tank.
- Watched a man forced to execute another man with a spade, in a crowded square in a village because tribal law dictates that the victim must be the one to punish the perp.

Calling people "sociopathic" because they don't think this is anything extreme or special is very naive.

This is actually more humane than most of the shit that happens on a daily basis in the Middle East, and if you believe otherwise, honestly good for you because you probably sleep better at night and don't need a lifetime of therapy.

"Hands and face"... Wouldn't this suggest that they could tell when the pagers were used and just waiting for a moment with especially high usage to do the most damage? Or even simpler: they paged everyone and waited for a few seconds before pressing the trigger...

- Literally seen, in person, the after effect of someone placing tens of thousands of ballbearings in a small explosive man-made device placed in a crowded marketplace in downtown Kabul.
- Sift through AAR's of hundreds of kids under the age of 16 forced to charge Iraqi Army lines strapped with remotely detonated suicide vests.
- Examine the site of where 15 people were executed by being crushed by a T-62 tank.
- Watched a man forced to execute another man with a spade, in a crowded square in a village because tribal law dictates that the victim must be the one to punish the perp.

Calling people "sociopathic" because they don't think this is anything extreme or special is very naive.

This is actually more humane than most of the shit that happens on a daily basis in the Middle East, and if you believe otherwise, honestly good for you because you probably sleep better at night and don't need a lifetime of therapy.

It also glosses over the reality that both of these sides are at war, which usually involves either side attacking the other as a response to a prior attack or to mitigate or thwart an impending attack.

"Hands and face"... Wouldn't this suggest that they could tell when the pagers were used and just waiting for a moment with especially high usage to do the most damage? Or even simpler: they paged everyone and waited for a few seconds before pressing the trigger...
In some footage you see people looking down at their pocket before it went off. Seems pretty clear they were set to explode a moment or two after they were paged in a certain way.

I read somewhere that the trigger was a specific code sent to the pager, so presumably people grabbed it and looked at it

Well, I had to bury my cat in the back garden today, so you know….Ive been through a few things myself…..

Oh I'm definitely desensitised to it following the horrific shit I've heard described to me first hand in Iraq. But I'm used to the culprits being Al-Qaeda/Taliban/ISIS affiliated cells. Though I suppose the Israeli lot have better uniforms and the ultimate boast of being the most moral army on the planet™

I get what you're saying but we're talking about a legit nation with the backing of a superpower, it's not comparable to the actions of an irregular militia.

Oh I'm definitely desensitised to it following the horrific shit I've heard described to me first hand in Iraq. But I'm used to the culprits being Al-Qaeda/Taliban/ISIS affiliated cells. Though I suppose the Israeli lot have better uniforms and the ultimate boast of being the most moral army on the planet™
They didn't always have these uniforms.

It also glosses over the reality that both of these sides are at war, which usually involves either side attacking the other as a response to a prior attack or to mitigate or thwart an impending attack.

This does seem like a big escalation though, given that Hezbollah has actually done the square root of nothing much to help Hamas. There is a rumour that the operation was compromised and the Israelis went earlier than they intended. Or maybe Netanyahu really does want to go to war with Iran now before their nuclear program is complete. All seems a bit weird, though very impressive technically.

This does seem like a big escalation though, given that Hezbollah has actually done the square root of nothing much to help Hamas. There is a rumour that the operation was compromised and the Israelis went earlier than they intended. Or maybe Netanyahu really does want to go to war with Iran now before their nuclear program is complete. All seems a bit weird, though very impressive technically.

They have been skirmishing since last year’s attack, so there was bound to be an escalation at some point, especially given Hezbollah’s fealty towards Tehran and the back and forth between Israel and Iran lately.