Israel - Iran and regional players | Please post respectfully

So iron dome is not as good as they sell it?

Layered air defence is more than one weapons platform.

You need multiple weapons platforms, detection and tracking systems, EWS, Tactical level defence and mobile assets all integrated together for Anti air.

I don't understand the fascination behind Iron Dome, it's designed to deal with cheap crappy ballistic trajectory short range rockets, because that's the main threat Israel faces.

Put it in a a strategic command theatre and it'll get overwhelmed in minutes.

You need multiple weapons platforms, detection and tracking systems, EWS, Tactical level defence and mobile assets all integrated together for Anti air.

I don't understand the fascination behind Iron Dome, it's designed to deal with cheap crappy ballistic trajectory short range rockets, because that's the main threat Israel faces.

But it does the job that it is needed to do in a specific environment & does it pretty well.

But i guess it suits its purpose? Im talking for what they say, not about what you know more as an expert

Yes but it’s not an accurate representation of Israel’s holistic air defense capabilities
Well, the vast majority of rockets / missiles heading into Israel are Katyushas or the like iirc. It seems quite a capable weapons platform against those.

Well, the vast majority of rockets / missiles heading into Israel are Katyushas or the like iirc. It seems quite a capable weapons platform against those.

Huh? These guys?

katyushas.png

Yep. There are roughly 150K under Hezbollah control in Lebanon, tough to ascertain how many are still in Gaza nowadays but they still have some.

I'm going to need a source for this.

By Katushya do you mean the Katushya rocket launchers or do you mean the rockets that Katushya's general fired (M-series rockets).

I've seen multiple articles saying Hamas used "Katushya's" but I'm starting to think they mean the M-series rockets.

By Katushya do you mean the Katushya rocket launchers or do you mean the rockets that Katushya's general fired (M-series rockets).

I've seen multiple articles saying Hamas used "Katushya's" but I'm starting to think they mean the M-series rockets.
Here's a CSIS piece on Hezbollah's rockets for what it's worth as a general source, not specifically on the Katushya.

https://missilethreat.csis.org/country/hezbollahs-rocket-arsenal/

arabic source (Al-Arabiya is affiliated with the saudi government), the first sentence is they say Hizbollah have 150K missiles/rockets, 20% of them are long range.

The M series seems to commonly be called or referred to as 'Katuysha.' Don't think I've ever seen a distinction.

arabic source (Al-Arabiya is affiliated with the saudi government), the first sentence is they say Hizbollah have 150K missiles/rockets, 20% of them are long range.

That is not a Katushya, a Katushya specifically refers to the BM-8 to the BM-31 series of truck mounted M-rocket launchers. 150k M series rockets, I more than believe.

The M series seems to commonly be called or referred to as 'Katuysha.' Don't think I've ever seen a distinction.

There is a distinction, and people who refer to the M series as Katushya's are wrong.

It's like calling the M26 rockets "HIMARS". HIMARS is a platform, as are Katushya's. The rockets themselves are something different.

That is not a Katushya, a Katushya specifically refers to the BM-8 to the BM-31 series of truck mounted M-rocket launchers. 150k M series rockets, I more than believe.

There is a distinction, and people who refer to the M series as Katushya's are wrong.

It's like calling the M26 rockets "HIMARS". HIMARS is a platform, as are Katushya's. The rockets themselves are something different.
Wrong, okay, but I am certain that M rockets have been described as Katuyshas in the media for a considerable period of time. Never heard of M Series rocket before. Katuysha is in common parlance & has been for decades. But I am simply an anecdote.

That's great that they are incorrect yet no one really needs to know or cares about the specificity of ordnance used on a battlefield, it's all the same to 99.99+% of the world's population.

I guess that's why forums were originally created.

I think a lot of journalists and analysts today are using the word Katushya as a general term for old Soviet era unguided artillery rockets. It's common to even include 122mm Grad rockets under the term which is even worse since those where never used with the Katyusha launchers.

I think a lot of journalists and analysts today are using the word Katushya as a general term for old Soviet era unguided artillery rockets. It's common to even include 122mm Grad rockets under the term which is even worse since those where never used with the Katyusha launchers.

Yeah, which circles back to a point I made elsewhere that the broad media has absolutely no idea what it's talking about when it comes to military related stuff.

Hezbollah may be taking a note out of Israel's playbook and are denying any responsibility for the rocket.

Hezbollah may be taking a note out of Israel's playbook and are denying any responsibility for the rocket.
Or better yet, just claim its a settler terrorist HQ, and they were targeting a known radical Zionist terrorist leader. Seems to work for the Israelis whenever they obliterate any school, hospital or refugee camp.

Indulging my inner conspiracy theorist for a moment - if what Hezbollah say is true, namely denying their involvement in this attack, then that leaves two possibilities.

The first is that it was a misled missile, which could have been fired by anyone, though I heard reports it was possibly an iron dome interception gone wrong.

The second is that its a false flag attack, which from an Israeli perspective they couldn't have picked a better location. Kill off a few Druze Arabs (dispensable for Israel), and blame it on Hezbollah, justifying a military incursion into Southern Lebanon.

Not one to entertain conspiracy theories, but I wouldn't put it past the realm of possibility, especially when its the unhinged Israelis involved.

As everything started on october 7th, the invasion woild start bc of this rocket. What happened before is non existant