Is it sensible to carry on with Bruno as the focal point of our team next season?

@Marwood sorry can't quote your post for some reason so the below is a response.

The question then becomes who do you play instead of him?

Mount is not a creator, Eriksen's does not have the legs to run around and press like Bruno, Mainoo is not a creator too, the problem is we do not have anyone in the team to replace Bruno, unless we change tactics all together, else, we have no choice but to play him as long as he is available.
Looking at the squad we have plenty options now.
All of Eriksen, Mainoo and Amad created more or better chances than Bruno yesterday, in a match that was by far our best game in a while, so we need to rethink how much this team is actually relying on Bruno now.

Looking at the squad we have plenty options now.
All of Eriksen, Mainoo and Amad created more or better chances than Bruno yesterday, in a match that was by far our best game in a while, so we need to rethink how much this team is actually relying on Bruno now.
You are basing your opinion on one game? Who put in the cross for the first goal?

Bruno‘s numbers are exceptional. As long as that is the case, he is one of the first players on the teamsheet.

We don‘t have a stand-in for him in the squad; our other options in the squad are different types of players.

Angel Gomes is a good shout.

I‘d take Tijani Reijnders, and Xavi Simons looks very promising as well.
I think we should replace Bruno with a deeper midfielder and move Mainoo up a bit (not as a #10 but the most advanced of the 3 midfielders)

I think we should replace Bruno with a deeper midfielder and move Mainoo up a bit (not as a #10 but the most advanced of the 3 midfielders)
I see Mainoo as a connecting midfielder: short passing, press resistant and dribbling. Not so much a creator who should play higher.

I think Reijnders would be a good shout for that attacking 8 role.

You are basing your opinion on one game? Who put in the cross for the first goal?

Bruno‘s numbers are exceptional. As long as that is the case, he is one of the first players on the teamsheet.
Eh, not really, Eriksen, Mount and Amad have been here for a while. Only Zirkzee is a new toy, but looking promising.

Or maybe you disagree with this?

He put in a nice training ground cross, not really something to go crazy about, and was still out worse attacker. This isn't a dig at Bruno, he's not having a great start to the season but it's ridiculous to say we don't have options now.

He can be very frustrating, but we have been incredibly flat any time he doesn't play, he's the heartbeat.

Bruno is the problem until he misses a game and we are laughably worse
We actually dropped him and Rashford in carabao cup game and looked solid like a team. It was a weakened palace team but we basically lose to anyone these days. The same week we played them again in the league at home and lost with Bruno in the starting XI.

Not going to happen but I'd replace him with Wirtz. Real have Bellingham and Guler. Bayern have Musiala. City have 140 charges. So you never know

What the funk does this even mean? Bizarre attempt to downplay a nice assist from your own player.
He did his 20% to make this goal, this is what I'd expect from him, and I like he was so close to the box to whip that ball in, means we pushed them nicely and also were using Bruno the right way, no more pushing him deep bs. Not sure what's so controversial here.

I mentioned before it's funny that Amad got his assist from a simple back pass to Rashford. But he created like 5 other openings, he also put Bruno through in first phase of the game and it only got better later on. But, indeed, where it counts it's 1 to 1. That is Brunos biggest strength, part of his aura I'd say.

Bruno performance aside, which was erratic at best (in a game we had fully under control), I just argue the comment that we have no option but to play him. That's clearly not true.

I mentioned before it's funny that Amad got his assist from a simple back pass to Rashford. But he created like 5 other openings,

And I’ve mentioned I have no idea what is “funny” about it. It’s absolutely brilliant to have another player creating so much (plenty argued this wasn’t possible with Bruno in the side as everything goes through him, which clearly was bollocks).

As a United fan I find nothing about Amad having a cracking game “funny”, and he’ll 100% have games creating little where Bruno creates plenty, which is exactly what we as fans want, multiple angles of attack, multiple creative outlets.

It’s extremely strange to me that after a good win, any fan would want to pit two players against each other like that.
Did you do this back in the day too, when Giggsy had 87% possession and an assist did you say to your mates, it’s funny Giggsy did the 20% I expect but Becks had an assist and created 5 other chances.
I’m not even sure what you’re getting at to be honest, it feels like a desperate attempt to just throw some shit at one of your own players?

Seems like Bruno's main problem is that he's always available. If he missed more games people would realise why he's important.

But then they'd probably just blame someone else, so I guess they aren't worth listening to.

And I’ve mentioned I have no idea what is “funny” about it. It’s absolutely brilliant to have another player creating so much (plenty argued this wasn’t possible with Bruno in the side as everything goes through him, which clearly was bollocks).

As a United fan I find nothing about Amad having a cracking game “funny”, and he’ll 100% have games creating little where Bruno creates plenty, which is exactly what we as fans want, multiple angles of attack, multiple creative outlets.

It’s extremely strange to me that after a good win, any fan would want to pit two players against each other like that.
Did you do this back in the day too, when Giggsy had 87% possession and an assist did you say to your mates, it’s funny Giggsy did the 20% I expect but Becks had an assist and created 5 other chances.
I’m not even sure what you’re getting at to be honest, it feels like a desperate attempt to just throw some shit at one of your own players?
Maybe we can back to the topic on another day, you seem too agitated about this discussion and catching up on single words. I never meant "funny" in a bad way, I mentioned a few times already there's an aura around Bruno that he makes things that count, while Amad's biggest issue yesterday was other players not making enough of what he gave them. Anyway, the main point here is (and I'm glad you said this) is:
plenty argued this wasn’t possible with Bruno in the side as everything goes through him, which clearly was bollocks
That's exactly the point, he is just a regular player now that can be replaced, or rotated at least. So is Rashford, Casemiro, and everyone else in this squad. We're in good position here. Not being fully reliant on Bruno opens up options for the future, and we don't even need to discuss "who we need to get to replace him". It also means we can play different style of football, and Soton game was a great example of that with Bruno role being minimalistic to put this nicely.

Seems like Bruno's main problem is that he's always available. If he missed more games people would realise why he's important.

But then they'd probably just blame someone else, so I guess they aren't worth listening to.

It’s even stranger though because we just won three nil and he had an assist so I’m not quite sure what he’s been blamed for in this thread. There is one poster who seems to be blaming him for not being as good as Amad on the day, which is absolutely bewildering.

I for one will be absolutely delighted if Amad can keep up his early season form and share the creative burden or even create more than Bruno, we’ve been desperate for this for a few seasons now.

Our style of play absolutely does not revolve around any one single player, what the funk are you talking about man.

Our dysfunctional style of play suits him perfectly, he can hold the ball anywhere on the pitch as if we are an untrained team and be very wasteful with his hollywood passes. Our strikers cant seem to score enough goals and I wonder why? They seem to score many goals with they turn to international duty but never when they play for us.

He makes random pressing runs and leave so much space behind him. He dictates all corner kicks and you our corner kicks are too bad. He shoots most of the free kicks and last scored free kick was when Ronaldo was here . He is the reason our 6 and 8 cant make a successful pass from the back (like the pool game) meaning our transition is very bad because of him and how he positions. Never get the blame!

Maybe we can back to the topic on another day, you seem too agitated about this discussion and catching up on single words. I never meant "funny" in a bad way, I mentioned a few times already there's an aura around Bruno that he makes things that count, while Amad's biggest issue yesterday was other players not making enough of what he gave them.

That's exactly the point, he is just a regular player now that can be replaced, or rotated at least. So is Rashford, Casemiro, and everyone else in this squad. We're in good position here. Not being fully reliant on Bruno opens up options for the future, and we don't even need to discuss "who we need to get to replace him". It also means we can play different style of football, and Soton game was a great example of that with Bruno role being minimalistic to put this nicely.

Couldn’t disagree more, what happened to Amad there is a United-wide issue, we miss way too many chances, whoever creates them. It’s the reason why Bruno tends to lead big chances created and yet we are absolutely terrible at finishing those off. Amad got a taste of that wasteful against Southampton and was somewhat let down by his teammates.

And I couldn’t disagree more on the important player vs replaceable, just because Amad is now creating doesn’t mean we go and start dropping our other creative outlet, we not that ducking good in attack. We’ve been absolutely desperate for multiple creative outlets.

Our dysfunctional style of play suits him perfectly, he can hold the ball anywhere on the pitch as if we are an untrained team and be very wasteful with his hollywood passes. Our strikers cant seem to score enough goals and I wonder why? They seem to score many goals with they turn to international duty but never when they play for us.

Højlund, Rashford and Zirkzee score more on international duty do they? :lol:

As Amad found out at the weekend, creating big chances for this United team doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll fecking score them, Bruno’s known this for a few years now too.

It’s even stranger though because we just won three nil and he had an assist so I’m not quite sure what he’s been blamed for in this thread. There is one poster who seems to be blaming him for not being as good as Amad on the day, which is absolutely bewildering.

I for one will be absolutely delighted if Amad can keep up his early season form and share the creative burden or even create more than Bruno, we’ve been desperate for this for a few seasons now.
Our biggest issue for years has been having once creative out let at a time in the XI since we've been having very striker like wideforwards. We thought it was solved when we got Bruno to add to Pogba then Pogba started to physically fall apart. Then we added Eriksen in ETHs first season and it worked a treat. Then he got injured and never came back the same. Thus since the we have beeb suriving on Bruno's "Steven Gerrard routine" which IMO you can't become competive with it alone.

Having Mainoo has helped some what but he is young and learning. So as it is now Amad is like a Godsend. Hopefully he can cement that role as the second creative outlet in the team. As Mainoo develops into a 3rd

Either he is important and main creative force in a team that doesn't create anywhere near enough chances (in which case we absolutely need to chance things), or he isn't the main player (and can be replaced - especially since his impact outside of creating chances is net negative). Can't have it both ways.

I'm leaning towards the latter, as even yesterday he created xG of 0,3 while the team xG in the whole game was 2,5. He is now a regular player that can be picked, but can also be rested in some games. The argument that Bruno is the main player is not true and tbh not working in his favor.

Either he is important and main creative force in a team that doesn't create anywhere near enough chances (in which case we absolutely need to chance things), or he isn't the main player

Or….. he is important, but one player can’t have the sole creative burden in a team?

He creates more big chances than anyone else in the league so surely the answer is to add to that and then we get what we saw at the weekend with Amad? A dominant performance with lots of chances created even when Bruno wasn’t at his creative best?
Or are you saying we should now leave the sole creative burden to Amad instead? Cause that sounds absolutely fecking bonkers.

Either he is important and main creative force in a team that doesn't create anywhere near enough chances (in which case we absolutely need to chance things), or he isn't the main player (and can be replaced - especially since his impact outside of creating chances is net negative). Can't have it both ways.

I'm leaning towards the latter, as even yesterday he created xG of 0,3 while the team xG in the whole game was 2,5. He is now a regular player that can be picked, but can also be rested in some games. The argument that Bruno is the main player is not true and tbh not working in his favor.
He is creative or he isn't? Well then yeah, he is. That's factual. You want us to create more chances and your first step is to remove our most creative player? Okay, it's clear you aren't speaking rationally.

Or….. he is important, but one player can’t have the sole creative burden in a team?

He creates more big chances than anyone else in the league so surely the answer is to add to that and then we get what we saw at the weekend with Amad? A dominant performance with lots of chances created even when Bruno wasn’t at his creative best?
The thing with Bruno is he's the one player given ultimate freedom on the pitch to do whatever crazy stuff he thinks off. Which is imo the way he should be used so that's already progress to last season. But, that also means he needs to provide those key passes regularly, otherwise his presence on the pitch is in danger.

He's pretty low on key passes so far this season compared to the team if you check per 90, he's having a poor start but nothing to worry about. Yet. If this becomes a worry, we have other options, what is indeed great to see.

He is creative or he isn't? Well then yeah, he is. That's factual. You want us to create more chances and your first step is to remove our most creative player? Okay, it's clear you aren't speaking rationally.

He’s absolutely lost his mind on Bruno.

He knows that the facts show that Bruno creates the most big chances in the league (or thereabouts in most seasons); so he knows it’s a fact that Bruno is creative. However he also knows we don’t create enough chances as a team, so it appears he now believes the solution to that would be to remove the most creative player and put the creative burden on some other poor bastard and hope that that player isn’t just the best in the league at creating big chances, but is absolutely miles ahead of anyone else in the league at creating big chances.
Bit weird when rational thinking should tell you that you add more creative players to become more creative as a team.

List of things that are not true:

- Bruno misplaces many passes
- Bruno gets dispossessed a lot
- Bruno is not press resistant
- Bruno runs a lot, but his movement is stupid/wasting energy
- Bruno is not suitable for <insert almost any style of football>
- Bruno is our main man and/or we have built our team around him

List of things that are true:

- Bruno cannot dribble or bypass players unless he catches them on the half turn or can play a quick one-two
- Bruno is not good at carrying/driving the ball forward quickly (partly because of the reason above)
- Bruno is wasteful in front of goal. This is maybe a bit harsh when looking at his career as a whole, but under Ten Hag he has not been that effective
- Bruno has started the season poorly in terms of creating chances. His key pass/chance creation stats have taken a huge drop.

He makes random pressing runs and leave so much space behind him. He dictates all corner kicks and you our corner kicks are too bad. He shoots most of the free kicks and last scored free kick was when Ronaldo was here . He is the reason our 6 and 8 cant make a successful pass from the back (like the pool game) meaning our transition is very bad because of him and how he positions. Never get the blame!
Which of our strikers have been scoring for fun on international duty, pray tell?

No he doesn't dictate corners. Amad has shared corners with Bruno when he's played and last weekend, Eriksen was taking them.

And never gets the blame? Have you read this thread? The man created the opening goal and it's being downplayed here like it was nothing. I agree that we shouldn't be over reliant on him, but Bruno gets blamed plenty.
Case in point: You're here attributing the inability for our 6 & 8 to pass from the back to him, where is one of the first players to show for a pass.

Your post is so full of "inaccuracies" to put it mildly, that I wonder if you're an opposition fan (who hasn't really watched us this season) on the wind up.

He’s absolutely lost his mind on Bruno.

He knows that the facts show that Bruno creates the most big chances in the league (or thereabouts in most seasons); so he knows it’s a fact that Bruno is creative. However he also knows we don’t create enough chances as a team, so it appears he now believes the solution to that would be to remove the most creative player and put the creative burden on some other poor bastard and hope that that player isn’t just the best in the league at creating big chances, but is absolutely miles ahead of anyone else in the league at creating big chances.
Bit weird when rational thinking should tell you that you add more creative players to become more creative as a team.
I think it's pretty clear what Bruno's problem is. He needs to stop shitting in people's cornflakes. He must be doing it based on the irrational hate, and he needs to stop. Only then will we move forward.

List of things that are not true:

- Bruno misplaces many passes
- Bruno gets dispossessed a lot
- Bruno is not press resistant
- Bruno runs a lot, but his movement is stupid/wasting energy
- Bruno is not suitable for <insert almost any style of football>
- Bruno is our main man and/or we have built our team around him

List of things that are true:

- Bruno cannot dribble or bypass players unless he catches them on the half turn or can play a quick one-two
- Bruno is not good at carrying/driving the ball forward quickly (partly because of the reason above)
- Bruno is wasteful in front of goal. This is maybe a bit harsh when looking at his career as a whole, but under Ten Hag he has not been that effective
- Bruno has started the season poorly in terms of creating chances. His key pass/chance creation stats have taken a huge drop.

Let's just focus on two things you said:

Bruno is not press resistant; Please explain why you think he is press resistant when you yourself admit he can't dribble and can't carry the ball forward

Bruno is our main man; He is captain, plays a free/10 role, takes the pens and free kicks and corners. How is he not our main man?

Not going to happen but I'd replace him with Wirtz. Real have Bellingham and Guler. Bayern have Musiala. City have 140 charges. So you never know
Yeah that's the only "natural" successor/replacement I see too at the moment. Someone who seeks the ball a lot and creates a lot.

For now and probably a year or two more Bruno is fine. I'd try and get Wirtz anyways.

This season he's just as creative as any other midfielder in the team tbh. This isn't good enough for a player given freedom in AM position.

This isn't soon enough to drop him obviously, but the voices about him being main creative force for us are overrating his contribution really.

This season he's just as creative as any other midfielder in the team tbh. This isn't good enough for a player given freedom in AM position.

This isn't soon enough to drop him obviously, but the voices about him being main creative force for us are overrating his contribution really.
Sure, and as a result he's retaining the ball more. What's you're reason for hating him now?

He's just as creative as anyone therefore let's drop him so we create more. Can you hear yourself? I imagine you'd prefer an echo chamber. Enjoy.

I really like Bruno. You can't fault his workrate, the fact that he takes some responsibility and that he produces a lot of very high quality moments.

Unfortunately, you also can't deny that he gives the ball away far too much and a lot of he what he tries is just stupid.

Accoring to footystats.org:

He has been dispossessed more that 72% of players. (64% last season)
Pass completion is worse than 53% of players (60% last season)

The above speaks for itself , its woeful and does hold us back.

The question is, could a manager like Pep make him better at retaining the ball or could a better system make his gung ho style worth it?

I really like Bruno. You can't fault his workrate, the fact that he takes some responsibility and that he produces a lot of very high quality moments.

Unfortunately, you also can't deny that he gives the ball away far too much and a lot of he what he tries is just stupid.

Accoring to footystats.org:

He has been dispossessed more that 72% of players. (64% last season)
Pass completion is worse than 53% of players (60% last season)

The above speaks for itself , its woeful and does hold us back.

The question is, could a manager like Pep make him better at retaining the ball or could a better system make his gung ho style worth it?

You can answer that question by watching him for Portugal where he plays as more of a team and retains the ball so much better, that's a fact. Another fact is that ETH doesn't drop him so clearly likes what he gets from Bruno and the only logical decision is he is instructing Bruno to play like this or at least not asking anything different from him.

Sure, and as a result he's retaining the ball more. What's you're reason for hating him now?

He's just as creative as anyone therefore let's drop him so we create more. Can you hear yourself? I imagine you'd prefer an echo chamber. Enjoy.
I should probably repeat myself with the previous post about "not dropping him", but that might hurt your feeling even more so I'll leave you alone.