Is it just me or do Barcelona get game changing favors from refs every game?

fellaini's barber

I don't really watch La Liga much but anytime I do it seems Barca get some mind boggling decision go their way. Today Ter Stegen handled the ball outside the box, no decision, ref was right there. Last 2 weeks a clear penalty against them was totally ignored by the ref when Rakitic fell a Sevilla?(not sure) player in the dying minutes of a game in which they were a goal ahead. Like 3 seasons ago there was a game where the ref ended the game as the ball was on its way into the Barca net. They were a goal up too. Strange thing is no one seems to mind or talk about it.

EDIT: Could a mod include Barcelona in the thread title

I don't really watch La Liga much but anytime I do it seems Barca get some mind boggling decision go their way. Today Ter Stegen handled the ball outside the box, no decision, ref was right there. Last 2 weeks a clear penalty against them was totally ignored by the ref when Rakitic fell a Sevilla?(not sure) player in the dying minutes of a game in which they were a goal ahead. Like 3 seasons ago there was a game where the ref ended the game as the ball was on its way into the Barca net. They were a goal up too. Strange thing is no one seems to mind or talk about it.

Except it was called a foul.

Thought that's a penalty and a card

How can a referee possibly award a penalty for a contravention that takes place outside the box?

And a red card would be dependent on whether there was a denial of a goal scoring opportunity,as with any other red card. Handballs do not automatically carry a yellow card tariff, it is a yellow card offence.

Is it just me or does create multiple threads with broken titles?

I prefer this thread.

All teams get big decisions that wrongly go their way. Barca get soft penalties and lucky calls on their own fouls - but they also get valid penalty calls ignored, and opponents get away with fouls against them.

When it favours the opposition, it almost feels like the ref is leveling the field, giving the underdog the benefit of the doubt. When it favours Barca, it feels like an over-generous ref.

So, yeah, I think they get more game-changing decisions in their favour than other teams, but it's marginal and I think most big teams get them, because they tend to spend a lot of time around the penalty areas. Half a dozen 60:40 calls going the correct way, and then one going the other way, I don't think it's deliberate. I just think refs end up doing some kind of mental "on average" thing. Similar to the thing when a player gets sent off and it's as if the ref goes looking for another red to balance the game.

Huh? How could the referee give a penalty for an offence outside the box?

The red card is not automatic for a goalkeeper for handball anymore than for any other player...unless it is a clear denial of a goalscoring opportunity. For example if the keeper comes out and beats the striker to the ball only by handling.

Didn't see the incident in question...but no, I dont think there is massive bias towards Barca. Just think poor decisions are highlighted more at the bigger clubs.

I thought this thread was going to be about Liverpool or Arsenal or have quite a lot of Howard Webb content.

Bit disappointed with it, tbh. Is the other any better?

It's clear that refs favor them. Afterall their period of domination started after the utter farce at Stamford Bridge

It's clear that refs favor them. Afterall their period of domination started after the utter farce at Stamford Bridge

The game Eric Abidal was sent off because Nicolas Anelka tripped over his own feet?

Don't know what's worse, a thread title starting with 'Is it just me or...', forgetting to include the teams name in the title or thinking that a foul outside the box should result in a penalty.

We all should've never stopped to post the same thing.

Have to admit, i stopped reading here.

The game where there could have been 5 FIVE!!! Penalties given against them.
Ah can't help but love the 5 myth penalties.

One was a stonewaller(Pique handball) and Drogba would have got one if he didn't delay his fall after losing the ball. The Eto handball, Malouda shouts are laughable.

But hey it's not like Barcelona were denied a clear pen in the first leg, Abidal was wrongly sent off, or Ballack was playing basketball in the box at 0-0....

Ah can't help but love the 5 myth penalties.

One was a stonewaller(Pique handball) and Drogba would have got one if he didn't delay his fall after losing the ball. The Eto handball, Malouda shouts are laughable.

But hey it's not like Barcelona were denied a clear pen in the first leg, Abidal was wrongly sent off, or Ballack was playing basketball in the box at 0-0....
The fact remains that a half competent referee and you wouldn't have been in Rome.

The fact remains that a half competent referee and you wouldn't have been in Rome.
Why do you contradict yourself so often? I actually was annoyed that Barca went through but how can you claim this, given the fact that Barelona were wrongly down to 10 man for most part of the game? It is very plausible that Barca would have scored a couple with 11 players on the field.