Ipswich Town | Can they stay up?

I predict a good start which then turns into a relegation scrap.
Gonna say they'll just stay up in 16th.

It’s going to be incredibly difficult for them, they just got to play mini league against Southampton, Leicester, Forest and finish ahead of them in 17th

I think they can if they can recruit well. Hutchison is a big signing for them. Very exciting prospect. They need to bring in a very good keeper now. Hladky made some massive saves for them last season. The can't rely on two midfielders in their 30s and I don't think Taylor is good enough to start in the EPL.

I’m happy for them that they managed to keep McKenna and have that stability and confidence in him. I’m hoping that they support him financially and they seem to be doing that by investing in players like Hutchinson.

I think who they recruit will be deciding factor and if they can get quality in the right areas that lets them play the managers style successfully.

I’m curious to see if he will adapt his style slightly or play the same type of attacking football that we know he likes. I’ve got a feeling he will get a few big wins but will they find consistency?

Loan them some of our players. Maybe even Greenwood? Need them to perform well. Hopefully the future Man Utd manager in the making.

Two players we have been targeting too. Would be excellent signings for Everton let alone Ipswich.

Both players would seem to fit the mould for his style of football and the dynamic of young and with potential. It would be a step up for both players but seemingly at the right time.

Hope they will be the new Brighton. Playing good football and finishing top half.

Most importantly, get McKenna ready for us in the future.

Looks like they're joining the 'overpay for Man City youth' club with a £20m accepted offer for Liam Delap.

BBC reporting Jaden Philogene prefers to join them over Everton as well.

It looks like they are going to give it a real go, maybe one of the reasons why McKenna extended. If they get the players listed above, they could be a great watch next season.

Going after Chelsea/City youth is a great shout, as there is real quality there that will want to play football.

Looks like they're joining the 'overpay for Man City youth' club with a £20m accepted offer for Liam Delap.

The Philogene deal is still up in the air. I wouldn't trust anything regarding it until he's signed for someone as the agent has been doing the rounds trying to drum up interest and money.

It’s going to be a real struggle for them after back to back promotions. As many have said, recruitment will be key. They should obviously recruit with the goal of staying up, but do so planning to mitigate for the worst (going down). In that respect going after young and developing talent seems to be the right approach. Lower wages, high resale value, lots to prove. At best I think they’ll get a lower mid-table finish, at worst they’ll establish themselves as a yo-yo club providing they stick to these recruitment principles and keep faith in the long term plan with the manager. Would be a mistake to fire him come Christmas because they are in the relegation zone, when they’ve already massively overachieved by getting to the PL.

Their style of play and manager, rather than the level of their playing talent, is what has lef to the overachievement. So the biggest question is whether it is robust enough to compensate for the lack of PL quality in their squad. Hopefully McKenna gets a lot of slack and they recruit intelligently. Worst thing they could do is bring in veteran PL talent on high wages that will be hard to shift in the event of relegation.

How the hell do City do it?

He's scored just 16 in 80 games during his loan spells in the Championship, so hardly set the second tier alight; and is 21 now so has entered that 'drifting' stage where he's nowhere near good enough for City's first team and needs to move elsewhere permanently to try and settle somewhere.

How are they once again able to negotiate such a good fee for flogging an unwanted player?

Mighty impressive what they've done the last couple of seasons. Hope they do well!

They’ll only stay up IF they spend upwards of £200m on Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay and Antony. I promise. It’s the only way. Do it Ipswich. Please

It will be tough, they haven’t really been able to add any Premier League experience to the squad yet. Although I’m pretty sure they’ll get a couple of loans late in the window when the bigger clubs have decided who they’ll loan out.

I believe in McKenna. They will be mid table and play entertaining attacking football. My second team for next season. And hopefully Man Utd manager in the making.

I believe in McKenna. They will be mid table and play entertaining attacking football. My second team for next season. And hopefully Man Utd manager in the making.
I believe in McKenna as well. It's going to be a very interesting relegation battle this season but I feel Ipswich can beat the odds & stay up.

Beating Hoffenheim and Nice in pre-season is not a bad achievement.

Tuanzebe scored the only goal against the French side today.

Last edited:
No idea other than looking a bit at the statistics, but obviously every team is different.

Last 10 seasons:
15 out of the last 30 promoted teams went back down - 50%

6 out of last 10 Championship runners up went down - 60%

13 out of 19 teams promoted with stadiums under 30k went straight back down - 68% (home atmosphere factor + more fans = more money) Portman Road is just under.

Could probably look into how long promoted teams had been out of the top flight, would assume it's a bit easier if you've been there before within x amount of seasons. Cumulative wealth from previous stints in the PL, parachute payments, still having players with PL experience etc. although that never stopped us having yo-yo clubs like Norwich and Fulham. Too complicated to delve into for me right now.

Unlike some clubs (Luton last season), that have come up they've been able to spend a bit so that's a decent sign, but so did Sheff Utd and Burnley last summer.

Last edited:
How the hell do City do it?

He's scored just 16 in 80 games during his loan spells in the Championship, so hardly set the second tier alight; and is 21 now so has entered that 'drifting' stage where he's nowhere near good enough for City's first team and needs to move elsewhere permanently to try and settle somewhere.

How are they once again able to negotiate such a good fee for flogging an unwanted player?
£19m cashback to be paid in Bitcoin.

Have they signed any CM's yet? I remember watching them last season and thinking that they may do ok if they can get an experienced PL CM in. From reading here, it doesn't look like they have.

Any Ipswich fans on here? How's it feeling going into the game with us on Saturday?

Hopefully McKenna will get the best out of him for their sake.
Weren't we linked with him when he was at t'Leeds. Maybe he has always been a fan.