How could you possibly be content with this?

The temptation to write an @GlastonSpur style daddy want post is huge!

You’re in a title race and it’s not good enough for some posters
Your goals per games and goals against is better than Liverpool’s in 2020 and it’s not good enough
You’ve signed Bruno, who is currently proving to be one the best in the world and it’s not enough
You’re a draw off qualifying for the knockout stages for the CL in arguably the toughest group, it’s not enough
You’re three points of the top rather than this time last year when you were 15 off the top, it’s not enough

People are upset that you lost to PSG when you deserved to win on the balance of play and beat West Ham, when maybe you didn’t deserve it, funny thing football!

A lot of posters need to understand that football is cyclical, no one is the top team every season, all the time and it looks like you’re on the way back up, so why not enjoy the ride.

Great post. From a rival supporter no less!

It's pathetic. It really is.

For me it is a simple thing - I enjoy watching the team play. I care about this team. I am excited by them. I am depressed when they don't perform. I am angry when they make mistakes. I am thrilled when they turn a game around. I am ecstatic when we win. Why can I not be content with this?

For me title challenges, intricate tactics, drawing triangles on a board etc. comes later. OGS has brought back my love for the team. After years of Moyes, LVG, and, Jose I finally care about the team. I don't plan other activities during our games. I actually look forward to the games.

I don't want to see them get washed away simply because some people would like us to be more like a machine. Meritocracy is important but it isn't everything. I have seen how things can turn out if you don't have the right man in the job - you get years of dispassionate football. Merely trying to get points on the board and living in the world of statistics isn't why I watch football.

Are we the best we can be? Definitely no. Do we need to needlessly rock a stable boat and risk throwing men overboard? We definitely do not. Given where we are in the league right now, it's incredulous that people are calling for Ole's head. I don't have any special love for the man, outside of him being a club legend like many others, but the agenda against him is getting out of hand.

People are upset that you lost to PSG when you deserved to win on the balance of play and beat West Ham, when maybe you didn’t deserve it, funny thing football!

A lot of posters need to understand that football is cyclical, no one is the top team every season, all the time and it looks like you’re on the way back up, so why not enjoy the ride.
The best Fifa-players in the world win every game. Why can't we expect something similar from a nearly 50 year old man with eleven fully grown athletes at his disposal, that actually play football in real life for a living to do what a 14 year old kid from Guatemala can do with a electric video game controller. It's madness how standards have dropped. From the biggest club in the world to being outplayed by 14 year olds.

Love comments how thread is about being unhappy that we won, what a bunch of dishonest mob.

Deserved or not? That's odd.

Meaning no criticisms at all at the things he and the players did wrong or poor?

Surely we can give credits to both Ole and the players, and still criticize them.

Of course some criticism is valid, but the criticism/credit balance is slightly off on this forum.

I miss the Fegie era so much, when we dominated games from the first minute to the last, had world class players in every position and on the bench, won every game... ahh the good old days.

That's how it was, right?

Wholeheartedly agree but people on here just want to be right.

Results are important but we don't look like a cohesive unit/team. We have no style and no one that goes on about progression can spell out how we've actually progressed except talking about some culture bullshit and how Ole has bought well even though we've spent crazy money on some absolute average players (Maguire and Wan Bissaka) and the rest were obvious buys (Bruno).

We change formations every other game, sometimes in the middle of the game. That's bad enough if our players knew what they're doing but they look like total strangers to each other most of the time.
Bruno was an obvious buy? Wow

I miss the Fegie era so much, when we dominated games from the first minute to the last, had world class players in every position and on the bench, won every game... ahh the good old days.

Well, we were winning league titles the majority of years. We haven't even challenged for a title in 7 years.

Well, we were winning league titles the majority of years. We haven't even challenged for a title in 7 years.

But we also managed to grind out wins when we were shite.....isn’t that’s what was said of champions?

Funny I remember the occasional bad performance or bad half but it wasn’t every other match. Not sure what you remember but comparisons to what we have now are baseless.

But we also managed to grind out wins when we were shite.....isn’t that’s what was said of champions?

I'm very content with today and actually had two posts in this thread that shows I don't agree with OP. However comparison of reaction with Fergie days doesn't make sense because, well, we were winning the league most years. Fergie was still getting criticized when we played poorly though. I searched this forum for old threads several times and there were many threads about zombie football and stuff.

Bruno was an obvious buy? Wow
We were looking at him in the summer before we bought him and didn't pull the trigger because he was losing the ball too much (and not because he would cost us 60m).

He was one of the best players not at a top club for a while and it's not like we got him for spare change.

But shall I communicate using single-syllable words, so you get my point? Something like 'Um, yeah.'

For me it is a simple thing - I enjoy watching the team play. I care about this team. I am excited by them. I am depressed when they don't perform. I am angry when they make mistakes. I am thrilled when they turn a game around. I am ecstatic when we win. Why can I not be content with this?

For me title challenges, intricate tactics, drawing triangles on a board etc. comes later. OGS has brought back my love for the team. After years of Moyes, LVG, and, Jose I finally care about the team. I don't plan other activities during our games. I actually look forward to the games.

I don't want to see them get washed away simply because some people would like us to be more like a machine. Meritocracy is important but it isn't everything. I have seen how things can turn out if you don't have the right man in the job - you get years of dispassionate football. Merely trying to get points on the board and living in the world of statistics isn't why I watch football.

Are we the best we can be? Definitely no. Do we need to needlessly rock a stable boat and risk throwing men overboard? We definitely do not. Given where we are in the league right now, it's incredulous that people are calling for Ole's head. I don't have any special love for the man, outside of him being a club legend like many others, but the agenda against him is getting out of hand.
This is where I am. I'm OleIn in so far as he's done well so far and deserves a long rope. He's got my backing and I hope we win things with him.

We were looking at him in the summer before we bought him and didn't pull the trigger because he was losing the ball too much (and not because he would cost us 60m).

He was one of the best players not at a top club for a while and it's not like we got him for spare change.

But shall I communicate using single-syllable words, so you get my point? Something like 'Um, yeah.'
If Bruno was that obvious we'd have had more competition for him. If I cared enough I'd check his thread in that summer and probably half the people in there had no clue who he was. It's not like he was someone like Raheem Sterling or Timo Werner. He was a Haaland. Performing well in a lesser league and people wondered if he could do it on the bigger stage.

And no one ever moaned after a ropey performance where we ended up winning 3-1 did they, cause we were challenging for titles...that's how I remember it too... there was never any moaning back then.

Funny I remember the occasional bad performance or bad half but it wasn’t every other match. Not sure what you remember but comparisons to what we have now are baseless.

Occasional? "Fergie time" became an actual phrase due to the sheer number of times we relied on a goal in the dying minutes to get something from a game.

As far as comparisons go, I'll compare results, we've more points than any other team since the end of the Jan transfer window.

Your goals per games and goals against is better than Liverpool’s in 2020 and it’s not good enough
You’ve signed Bruno, who is currently proving to be one the best in the world and it’s not enough
You’re a draw off qualifying for the knockout stages for the CL in arguably the toughest group, it’s not enough
You’re three points of the top rather than this time last year when you were 15 off the top, it’s not enough

As a neutral and oppo, why do you think the moaners/OleHaters are like they are?

And no one ever moaned after a ropey performance where we ended up winning 3-1 did they, cause we were challenging for titles...that's how I remember it too... there was never any moaning back then.

Occasional? "Fergie time" became an actual phrase due to the sheer number of times we relied on a goal in the dying minutes to get something from a game.

As far as comparisons go, I'll compare results, we've more points than any other team since the end of the Jan transfer window.

Search zombie football. It's a well known thread here, that was even getting bumped again last few years to repost in it.

Beside, if you are a league champion, challenging for the league the next season and you have a crap match or so, the majority will put this in their mind. They will moan about the match but not our state in general.

United haven't been in a title challenge for 7 years and fans have seen so many false dawns under 3 different managers that in each time of them, they thought we were on the right track before turning to shite again. It made the fans more irritated by bad performance/results.

You can't compare reactions to Fergie days to nowadays by all means really, and as I said, ever during Fergie people were complaining about zombie football.

Our players didnt feel like moving their asses, in the first half, Ole made subs that totally turned the game around and we won 1:3. but your first reaction is to cry about Ole?

Sigh
My first reaction wasn't on redcafe and even the first line of the posts you quote first mentions the good result

Given this thread is talking about that appalling first half display I'm mentioning the most influential football person at the club who I don't believe has it.

To the OP, one can enjoy a fun exciting comeback without being satisfied with the overall progress of the team

As a neutral and oppo, why do you think the moaners/OleHaters are like they are?

Moyes' trainwreck, followed by Van Gaal's snorefest, followed by Mourinho's classic collapse will inevitably cause some shell-shock. It sucks when criticism is handed out so undeservedly, though.

Maybe the mods ought to create a separate forum ala the Newbie Forum and move them there? I propose; The PFSD(Post Fergie Stress Disorder) Forum.

How can anyone have watched this game and walked away thinking "we're going places"? Two years in charge in a few days for Ole and we've still no style of play. To be outplayed by David fecking Moyes of all people managing an average West Ham squad is not a sign of progress. Is this what people wanted when Mourinho was sacked?

We turned up for 15 minutes today and we're fortunate that we're in a position to spend money that teams like West Ham can't. Even Gary Neville was questioning the performance. That wasn't acceptable in any way for a Manchester United team. Its costs us before and it'll cost us again. This is eerily similar to Mourinhos second season. We were winning even when things didn't look right and we know how that ended.

I get what you're saying, the way we're playing isn't sustainable and hearing Ole post match smiling and saying "it's an improvement from being 2-0 down at Southampton" is not what you want to hear, they could have smashed us 3-0 at half time on another day.

If we get our shit together we may genuinely be able to get something out of this season. But it does seem like the coaching and poor in-game management is holding us back.

Search zombie football. It's a well known thread here, that was even getting bumped again last few years to repost in it.

Thanks for that, I've been a member of this forum for 14 years, I'm pretty much up to date on topical threads.

Beside, if you are a league champion, challenging for the league the next season and you have a crap match or so, the majority will put this in their mind. They will moan about the match but not our state in general.

Did you miss the whole 'green and gold til the club is sold' thing?

United haven't been in a title challenge for 7 years and fans have seen so many false dawns under 3 different managers that in each time of them, they thought we were on the right track before turning to shite again. It made the fans more irritated by bad performance/results.

We won 3-1 and are 2 points off the top?
You can't compare reactions to Fergie days to nowadays by all means really, and as I said, ever during Fergie people were complaining about zombie football.

Well, they did, look up the threads from 2004, 2005.

I get what you're saying, the way we're playing isn't sustainable and hearing Ole post match smiling and saying "it's an improvement from being 2-0 down at Southampton" is not what you want to hear, they could have smashed us 3-0 at half time on another day.

If we get our shit together we may genuinely be able to get something out of this season. But it does seem like the coaching and poor in-game management is holding us back.
Exactly what is Ole doing wrong?

This might be the greatest post of all time!

From a performance perspective if it’s simply about the result we may as well have kept Jose, bought Maguire for £50mil; let him sell Martial & have backed him that last summer transfer window.
We’re 4th & in an erratic league with scope to do something but it’s at a point where the goalposts we judge the team/management against changes each week depending on if you’re pro or anti OgS.

It’s also more than acceptable to enjoy that comeback in the second half & be worried about the overall performance which is how I’m choosing to read the OP instead of labelling him a ‘moaner’ because his views don’t chime exactly with my own.

It’s fairly simple, people are fed up after the last 7 years of constant false dawns and one step forward two steps back. And while we are in a decent position now and in very odd season all things considered, our performance two years on after OGS’s appointment is simply far too inconsistent to offer any hope that we have truly turned the corner and would be in the mix. Winning when not playing well is important, but if you are consistently not playing well then it’s only a matter of time before the winning stops e.g Mourinho’s end of 2nd season/beginning of 3rd, LvG’s first half of 15/16.

With all that said, while I’m in the Ole out camp, we would be at worse 2 pts off top if we manage to win our game in hand, so looks like we would probably still get CL this season. It’s just a shame because I really do think this season would be our best chance to fight for the league and our mess of a pre-season with the idiotic Europa run put us massively behind from the start. A somewhat respectable home form would see us top of the table with a few points to spare.

I'm being entertained, frustrated at times for sure, but when this team puts out it's great, that'll do for now.

I've seen us win 13 PL titles and 2 CL's, LvG and Mourinho made me feel like watching our games was a chore regardless of the result, with Ole I highly doubt he's going to take us to a PL or CL title but when we play well I feel like this is the closest we've felt to playing like the United I grew up on so that gives me patience.

Something does need to be done you’re right - it’s not our game plan to get shafted for most of the game then nick it with short moments of brilliance from our albeit talented stars. Bruno changed it for us today. Cavani changed it for us last week. Where’s the consistency throughout the whole squad?

How sad thatsuch a voice of reason is from an opposition fan.

How can anyone have watched this game and walked away thinking "we're going places"? Two years in charge in a few days for Ole and we've still no style of play. To be outplayed by David fecking Moyes of all people managing an average West Ham squad is not a sign of progress. Is this what people wanted when Mourinho was sacked?

We turned up for 15 minutes today and we're fortunate that we're in a position to spend money that teams like West Ham can't. Even Gary Neville was questioning the performance. That wasn't acceptable in any way for a Manchester United team. Its costs us before and it'll cost us again. This is eerily similar to Mourinhos second season. We were winning even when things didn't look right and we know how that ended.

Imagine looking at whats going on in the game this season, a very unusual season in an unusual time, a season when Aston Villa scored 7 past champions Liverpool with VVD and then remembering the very short turnaround from the last season which went even longer for United than most teams. THEN remembering our winning away streak has continued with 2 plus goals per game AND STILLmaking a thread bitching about the teams performance. No mention of tiredness, injuries, new players bedding in, the schedule feck ALL but whingeand moan and complain.

Last edited:
I’ve never met a fan who is 100% happy with their club! Some just go overboard more than others.

Makes me wonder if people saw us struggle in games when Fergie was around. I remember any number of tough away games where we got outplayed, complained about the midfield, complained about the zombie passing between Rio and Vida and yet made it happen come end of season. The PL is a tough league and this is why we love watching it!

As a comparison - Fergie’s last five seasons, points per game 2.28. Ole since Bruno came in - 2.12. Note Fergie already had a WC squad that was peaking starting 07.

I just wish Ole goes to the mic and says:

Hated, adored, never ignored. We're Man Utd.

That'll ratlle some ole outs!

Makes me wonder if people saw us struggle in games when Fergie was around. I remember any number of tough away games where we got outplayed, complained about the midfield, complained about the zombie passing between Rio and Vida and yet made it happen come end of season. The PL is a tough league and this is why we love watching it!

As a comparison - Fergie’s last five seasons, points per game 2.28. Ole since Bruno came in - 2.12. Note Fergie already had a WC squad that was peaking starting 07.
To be fair Fergie built that WC squad. Look I’m with you but I don’t get the hate for the people that criticise. The first 60 mins was one of the worst performances I’ve seen as a United fan of 20 years (last few seasons) there has been a lot but it wouldn’t be a problem if this happened rarely, but it’s doesn’t it happens every 2 games so I get where people are coming from.
We were often poor away in these games under SAF but we always created bar the martial shot be did nothing for the first 60 mins.

One thing I didn’t get was Neville keep repeating Southampton away last week as the same. Yes we were 2-0 down but we were missing sitters today we created nothing until we scored.

look I’m not being negative I was delighted with the last 30 mins and the result but this performance isn’t a one off or a 2 off they happen regularly

There was a similar thread a couple of months ago, I'll say it again.. How was this thread not 5 years ago :lol:.

Give up watching football. If you think Fergies United werent like this at times then you most have a shit memory or be very young

Exactly. More often than not, Fergie relied on individual brilliances to win titles. Why is that a problem?